Athena Study Abroad in Dublin, Ireland
Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad in Dublin, Ireland

Olwyn was awesome

I chose Athena because I have had many peers study through Athena and had only positive things to say. Olwyn was awesome whenever I had questions or a problem, as well as the other 20 students I studied with.

Although, not necessarily Dublin, but Griffith College had many issues with communication. One problem was a few of us took a class when we were supposed to be in honors but were not told that. Because of this any paper we wrote and our exams were graded by the other teacher. This was not told to us until papers were due or exams were to be taken.

Amazing

I chose Athena because I liked the programs that were offered, the cost of the programs, and the courses offered. I also really liked the personal attention received from representatives during the application process.

This experience has been life changing. It has changed the way I view the world and made me look at things on a global scale rather than a national scale.

There are many people that made my experience abroad amazing. The people I met while studying abroad made the entire experience worth it. My Athena Abroad off site advisor was also amazing and was always available when I had questions or difficulties.

The classes didn't have many assignments until the end of the semester, but then at the end of the semester we were all swamped with an overwhelming number of assignments. The classes were overall interesting for the semester. I had to change the way I viewed school because many students don't take school as seriously in Ireland.

The housing situation worked well. The apartments were nice and spacious. I had roommate difficulties but it was nothing that Athena could help with. Things that could be improved would be the visitors rule with not allowing people to have guests after 10:30, and the problems with hot water.

Dublin felt like one of the safest cities I have ever lived in. The nightlife is amazing. Pretty much every night you can find something fun going on. There were many fun cultural events in Dublin. Cultural night was awesome, with many tourist attractions being free for that night. Everyone in Dublin is very friendly and they love to hear about the life of people from different areas. It is very refreshing.

The biggest challenges were related to accommodations. It was disappointing to learn that we were not allowed to hang out with friends after 10:30PM, forcing us to go out if we wanted to still hang out. This seemed counterproductive because frequently we just wanted to watch a movie but were told that we would be charged €100 for every person in the room if we had people over after 10:30.

Another difficulty was the problems with hot water that consistently plagued most of the apartments on campus. Maintenance looked at the hot water heater a few times but the problem persisted.

Another challenge was regarding transfer credits. I was unaware that the classes I had picked would not be offered and if they were offered, the times would probably conflict. I wish this process would have been explained more thoroughly because I had transfer paperwork from my home institution that was no longer valid. I am still fighting with my home institution to agree to give me credit for the classes I ended up taking.

Amazing Study Abroad Experience!

This is an experience of a lifetime! I would recommend anyone considering studying abroad to look into Athena Abroad and of course Dublin!

Athena Abroad is a great program to use because they help you out every step of the way and make the process as painless as possible.

Dublin is a fantastic city for study abroad because the people are great, it is a city but still has the feeling of a small town, and it has something for everyone.

Very well organized

The three excursions that were included in the program were such memorable experiences because I got to travel around Ireland with locals as guides with all of the friends I met through my program.

I chose this program because it looked trustworthy.

They were apartment style. Share the kitchen and living room with 3 other people, and a fairly large room with one other person. Shared bathroom, extremely small bathroom.

I definitely recommend this program!!

My program was very well organized and we had a very sweet and helpful local mentor to guide us through the whole experience. Dublin was a wonderfully friendly city that had so much to do and so many great people to meet! There is nothing I would change about my experience.

Engaging

Out of the programs I was considering, Athena had the most included for the best price. It also seemed to have a well constructed and organized agenda for students abroad. Olwyn (our on site advisor) was always very nice and helpful, providing much-needed suggestions and recommendations for places to go, how to do certain things, etc. My only complaint is that communicating with her could be confusing and difficult at times.

I found all of my subjects to be engaging, they gave me a wider perspective on the world and how to better understand it. I spent my free time listening to music in the pubs, watching sporting events, cafes, walking/exploring, traveling to other countries, working on assignments, meeting people, trying restaurants

I felt Dublin was quite safe if you were smart and walked down well lit streets, remained aware of your surroundings, and kept your wallet in a safe pocket. The nightlife was great fun, and the city was lively every weekend, particularly in the pubs and on the streets. There was a diverse mix of culture in Dublin as well, you could do anything from going to a classic Irish pub to seeing a cool show in a hip venue. Lots going on in Dublin. I do wish, however, that the program had arranged more cultural events/meals/customary things to get a better understanding of the Irish culture.

My suggestion for the program is to allow the students to determine more of the schedule. There were some places on the excursions I wanted to spend much more time exploring, and some I wanted to spend much less. Allow more flexibility in these schedules.

An International Experience in Dublin

Athena Abroad's Dublin Program offers a unique study experience that allows the student to meet people and experience cultures from all over the world. Staying at Griffith College near Portobello and Rathmines in Dublin, you'll be staying with 3 other people from literally anywhere in the world. That provides a unique classroom experience as well, as discussion based classes really allow you to understand how students are educated differently, and how to look at your own culture in a new light. That's not to say you won't be exposed to enough Irish culture. The Irish experience in Dublin is extremely unique as well. Dublin's culinary map offers a wide range of restaurants from traditional pubs to European-influenced eateries and contemporary gastropubs. The city's nightlife is also a gem, you could spend your night hearing traditional celtic folk in one of Dublin's oldest pubs, or you could dance the night away at a hip club, bar or music venue. And on a beautiful day, there are hundreds of spots to sit and read and enjoy being in this beautiful city. One of the best parts about staying at Griffith College? You'll only be a 30 minute walk from the city center, where nearly every thing touristy you could want to see is easily accessible. And if you feel like staying close to home, there is plenty to do in the small area around Griffith. Another major highlight of the Athena Dublin experience is the opportunity to travel around greater Ireland, as Athena offers about 3-4 field trips included in the program. These will let you see much of the gorgeous island and get to know the people in your study abroad group in a very special way. My experience with every aspect of this study abroad was amazing, yours will be too.

Dublin, Ireland with Athena

Athena made my whole process of studying abroad so much easier. They were with me every step of the way and they were absolutely amazing. While I was abroad, they were there for me when I was there whenever I need them. They are so affordable and make sure everyone has a chance to study abroad. I highly recommend them.

The Best Decision Of My Life!

Very helpful study abroad program. From starting the paperwork to post program the Athena Abroad staff is always keeping in touch with their students. I always felt like I had a head to lean on if something were to happen. I have gained so much knowledge about Italian culture due to the flexible schedule of the program.