AUB Summer Arabic Programs
American University of Beirut Header Image American University of Beirut Header Image

AUB Summer Arabic Programs

Great experience

The CAMES program at AUB is truly a great opportunity to study Arabic in a beautiful country. The instructors were the best Arabic instructors I have ever had and were devoted to student learning. Though the homework load was on the heavy side (it's an intense program after all), it's a perfect program for those who want to immerse themselves in the Arabic language and meet some cool people along the way.

Improve your Arabic at AUB

I participated in the CAMES program in the summer of 2015 and would recommend it to anyone up for the challenge! In addition to the gorgeous AUB campus, I was impressed by the curriculum (it was even more intensive than I expected!), the optional supplementary tutoring offered daily, and the extra activities and field trips. When I first arrived in Beirut I had a basic knowledge of Arabic, but found that I was barely able to order a meal without switching to English. The program's intensity and emphasis on conversation helped me to become confident in speaking with anyone in everyday life in Beirut.

The Best Place to learn Arabic

This is a very intensive language program with excellent instructors, a diverse group of participants, well organized structure, a beautiful campus, and is in one of the most interesting cities on the planet. I entered this program with no prior knowledge of Arabic and left with a true grasp of the language. This is not a program for people who just need a reason to go to Beirut, or those who are just looking for an interesting thing to do over the summer. You will be totally immersed in course work throughout the duration of the program, and will need to be truly dedicated the entire time. The staff is committed to helping you achieve the most out of the program, and is always there for support and guidance. I would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about learning Arabic or improving their current skill set.

• Facilities

You will come out learning Arabic

This program is great, you will learn Arabic, but it comes at a cost. This isn't an easy summer, you are in class from 8:30-5 and have homework on top of that and weekly tests.

They try to get us immersed in the culture around us with programs, and some are more successful than others!

Overall, if your main goal is to learn Arabic- you should come here!! If your main goal is to explore the Middle East, just be prepared you will only be able to explore such small parts of the world going to this program.

Challenging and Effective Arabic Program

The CAMES program was, as all the reviews have stressed, a very very intensive program. There was a huge amount of homework every day, and while this was difficult at times, it also accomplished its goal. I came away from the program statisfied that I had significantly improved my ability to communicate in Arabic. The teachers and tutors were amazing; they challenged us and were entirely dedicated to helping us succeed. The small student-teacher ratio allowed for lots of one-on-one support. I especially appreciated the program's integration of colloquial and modern standard Arabic. The program also offered a variety of cultural activities and trips. The campus itself was beautiful and very safe. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in a highly intensive Arabic program that will dramatically improve their Arabic skills.

Success

The CAMES Summer Arabic program was rigorous and provided an intensive learning experience. The CAMES team was very responsive to all student needs. The teaching staff was professional and available for any extra help and were dedicated to teaching Arabic. Would highly recommend the program.

Studying Arabic

Great program in a great setting at AUB! Good mix of students from US and around the world. The teachers I had were excellent and very committed. The program mixed in a lot of cultural and fun events and trips throughout to complement the language learning, which I appreciated. Above all, had a lot of fun and improved my language skills!

Great course

I wanted a really intense course as i only had a limited time to improve my Arabic.
The course was perfect for this because the classes pushed me to the limit every day and each night I had lots of homework, which was always marked properly. One of my two main teachers was good, the other was outstanding.

Intensive

Hello there,
I participated in the 2016 Summer CAMES program at the American University of Beirut. I started at the most basic level and I can tell you the work load is quite heavy. The deal with this course though is that you get out of it what you put into it. If one is serious about learning to read, write, and speak this language, then this is the best start you can get. The faculty work with all students and tutoring is daily after class (this is a must). However within the first week you will be writing in Arabic and building basic sentences. I have lived in Lebanon for the last 2.5 years and I thought I had a pretty good grasp on Arabic ( at least the spoken), but after this course my confidence with Arabic increased and i do not have any anxiety talking with people in the language now. I now have a solid base and vocabulary that allows me to talk with people from many different places to a decent degree. Long story short I have nothing but positive things to say about this program and feel that it is a must for those interested in actually learning about Arab ( Lebanese ) culture. Just to make it clear though there is a very very heavy workload.
Wesley Murphy

• Facilities

Arabic coursework takes over my life

When the description said it would be 6h a day of class plus about 4-5h of homework it did not lie. It was a helpful program with very good teachers. However, not all my classmates were as serious about the course and hampered our progress as a class. I also was torn about the class every morning in the dialect since it did not help me with my personal goals at all and I would have benefitted more from using this time for another class in MSA.