AUB Summer Arabic Programs
American University of Beirut Header Image American University of Beirut Header Image

AUB Summer Arabic Programs

Great Experience

The CAMES program at AUB is truly a great opportunity to study Arabic in a beautiful country. The instructors were the best Arabic instructors I have ever had and were devoted to student learning. Though the homework load was on the heavy side (it's an intense program after all), it's a perfect program for those who want to immerse themselves in the Arabic language and meet some cool people along the way.

Improve your Arabic at AUB

I participated in the CAMES program in the summer of 2015 and would recommend it to anyone up for the challenge! In addition to the gorgeous AUB campus, I was impressed by the curriculum (it was even more intensive than I expected!), the optional supplementary tutoring offered daily, and the extra activities and field trips. When I first arrived in Beirut I had a basic knowledge of Arabic, but found that I was barely able to order a meal without switching to English. The program's intensity and emphasis on conversation helped me to become confident in speaking with anyone in everyday life in Beirut.

The Best Place to learn Arabic

This is a very intensive language program with excellent instructors, a diverse group of participants, well organized structure, a beautiful campus, and is in one of the most interesting cities on the planet. I entered this program with no prior knowledge of Arabic and left with a true grasp of the language. This is not a program for people who just need a reason to go to Beirut, or those who are just looking for an interesting thing to do over the summer. You will be totally immersed in course work throughout the duration of the program, and will need to be truly dedicated the entire time. The staff is committed to helping you achieve the most out of the program, and is always there for support and guidance. I would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about learning Arabic or improving their current skill set.

Intensive

Hello there,
I participated in the 2016 Summer CAMES program at the American University of Beirut. I started at the most basic level and I can tell you the work load is quite heavy. The deal with this course though is that you get out of it what you put into it. If one is serious about learning to read, write, and speak this language, then this is the best start you can get. The faculty work with all students and tutoring is daily after class (this is a must). However within the first week you will be writing in Arabic and building basic sentences. I have lived in Lebanon for the last 2.5 years and I thought I had a pretty good grasp on Arabic ( at least the spoken), but after this course my confidence with Arabic increased and i do not have any anxiety talking with people in the language now. I now have a solid base and vocabulary that allows me to talk with people from many different places to a decent degree. Long story short I have nothing but positive things to say about this program and feel that it is a must for those interested in actually learning about Arab ( Lebanese ) culture. Just to make it clear though there is a very very heavy workload.
Wesley Murphy