AIFS Study Abroad in London: Semester Internship
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in London: Semester Internship

The value of an internship abroad

The AIFS internship program in London tremendously impacted my professional development as a young professional. As a business student, employers look for students who have had relevant experience in the respective industry. Doing an internship abroad is highly valued by any employer because it shows your ability to adapt to new corporate cultures in different parts of the world. The program had a great structure in dedicating the first few weeks to interviewing with your top three companies. Fortunately, I received my first-choice company and enjoyed the culture as it allowed me to expand my professional network and be involved in real finance and accounting projects that I would later discuss with future employers. The internship was four days a week during normal business hours. I enjoyed improving my analytical skills and interpersonal skills by communicating with senior executives on the work I had been doing. I received 6 academic credits for the internship and 6 other credits for elective coursework to have a full-time, 12-credit semester. As a business student studying finance, I chose London because it is one of the financial centers of the world and I am now able to tell that to employers during job interviews. It was inspiring being in a city with like-minded individuals in my field of study and learning how to network with professionals in the industry. I interacted with fellow study abroad students, but also had the opportunity to interact with my colleagues at work. The program itself had workshops to prepare you for the workplace. For any student of any major, I would highly recommend this program because you will be able to impress your future employers by the international internship experience you had in your field of study.

Best Case Internship

This program was the best. The pre-departure staff was very helpful; I could call with any question and I would get a human on the other end that knew all of the answers. Every one of the staff just really wants you to be able to go abroad and get that experience. The on-site staff was amazing too. Our director felt like a mom there, looking out for us. We could go to her for anything. My London flat was a bit small--but that's expected in a city. It was clean and modern, and in nice condition. The meal plan option was much needed so we didn't have to spend all of our money on food. The cafeteria was not in our flat though, so for convenience to the interns that had to go to work every morning, they reimbursed us instead and we got to go food shopping and cook in our kitchen, which was very nice.
The internship placements themselves were really amazing. I'm a fashion student and was afraid I'd be stuck in retail somewhere, but I got to work with a couturier and had the best experience ever. Also, having a internship abroad really immerses you in the culture since you're part of the work force. The staff prepared us for our interviews very well, holding classes where we'd practice questions, elevator pitches, and appearance. Everything about this program was fantastic.