AIFS Study Abroad in Barcelona: Soccer Program - Summer
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in Barcelona: Soccer Program - Summer

Bridging the cultures

As a girl who is a first generation from Pakistani Immigrants, I was raised with the best of both cultures in America. I learned to love both American burgers and Pakistani curries. Having the opportunity to spend three weeks in Barcelona to learn more about soccer, a sport that I had already grew up loving and started to follow the Spanish La Liga since 2012, allowed me to learn how the local Barcelonians and Catalan people live. The locals are all very helpful when it came to getting directions back to my apartment my first week in Barcelona to practicing the Spanish that I was picking up along the way. Being able to try the local cuisine like croquettes, and seafood with my roommates and some of the other girls from the 4- and 6-week programs was really nice. It was also really cool to learn not just how the Catalan people wanted their independence for the past half century or so as well as how the 1992 Summer Olympics as allowed the entire country to unite for a major event and bring a lot of infrastructure to come to Barcelona to make it what it is today. Having also seen Sagrada Familia, Port Olimpic, La Rambla, Plaza Catalunya, La Barceloneta, Park Guell, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila and countless other historical sites allowed me to like the city a little bit better even though as a Madridista, I still preferred the optional weekend visit to Madrid that I took with about 22 other people.