AIFS Gap Year Programs: Salamanca, Spain (Semester/Year)
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Gap Year Programs: Salamanca, Spain (Semester/Year)

An incredible experience!

I had a great experience studying abroad with AIFS! AIFS was incredibly helpful throughout the entire application process. I personally had a lot of questions about getting my visa and AIFS answered all my questions via email right away. Then, once abroad, I felt very supported with AIFS. I would visit the AIFS office in Salamanca almost everyday whether to ask specific questions or just talk.

Salamanca was the perfect city to study abroad in! It is not too big that you have to take a metro. Instead, you can walk anywhere in Salamanca, but it's also not too small that it only takes you five minutes to get from one side of the city to the other. It has a very safe feel to the city and I never felt unsafe, even at night. Also, Salamanca is well known as a university city, which makes it an even better city to study abroad in. I was able to make American friends within my program and also Spanish students who live in Salamanca who are my age. Intercambios, or language exchanges, are very common here and a great way to meet and practice Spanish with the locals.

I strongly suggest living with a host family. I had the best experience and truly feel like I gained a second family while abroad. I got to eat authentic, home-cooked meals every day and consistently practice my Spanish. My host family also gave me great recommendations for the best places to go around the city. I still keep in touch with my host family and I love knowing that I will always have a place to go when I visit Salamanca.