IFSA/ Alliance in Pune: Contemporary India
Alliance for Global Education  Header Image Alliance for Global Education  Header Image

IFSA/ Alliance in Pune: Contemporary India

Pune - Contemporary India - Fall '15

The Alliance for Global Education's Contemporary India program was an incredible experience. Not only was the staff and directors helpful, kind, and friendly, but the program was all-around great. Classes were interesting and the professors were always there to offer guidance. Also, my living situation allowed me to immerse myself in the Indian culture. My host mom (Priya) is the most kind-hearted and spirited woman and I am extremely grateful for her role throughout my program. I recommend this program to those who want to challenge themselves!

A Semester Abroad in Pune

My semester in Pune was fantastic and I highly recommend going on this program! There are three key components to this program:

- Academics
- Internship
- Homestay

Each of these played a crucial role in helping me have a fantastic experience abroad.

The professors that teach for this program are all professors who teach in Indian universities as well so they are very knowledgeable and prove to be awesome resources for us as students. They do a really good job of offering an appropriate hybrid of Indian and American styles of teaching. In addition to the teachers, the content itself is very helpful. The classes all come together to help the student get a good look into India (granted there is only a couple months of class to study a whole nation). I really enjoyed the classes and there a couple I would gladly take again.

In regards to the internship, the program offers a good platform on which the student can express all of their interests and skills. They then use this to place the student into an internship that helps advance the students' personal goals while also capitalizing on their current skills. The internship offers a key cultural experience that helps the student understand day to day life for an Indian worker. It also helps expose the students to crucial topics in the Indian contest by offering intensive engagement with the issue.

The final aspect is the homestay. The opportunity to live with an Indian family and to complete the immersion by living with a family really rounds out the experience. Students get to learn what it's like to "have" Indian parents and live in an Indian household abiding by Indian traditions. It contributes a lot to the growth and learning of the student.

All in all, this is a fantastic program that takes a holistic approach which helps students better understand who they and how they play a part in the world the live in.

Alliance for Global Education: Pune

I had the most amazing time in India on this program. Though everything was not perfect, it was a great experience to learn how to handle situations on my own and learn a lot about myself. It was definitely hard being in India since it is such a different environment from what I am used to. But it was also the beset decision I ever made. I loved my host family and the others that were in my program, they made my experience so great. I got to learn so much while I was there especially outside the classroom and got to meet such great people in Pune.
Though it was very difficult at times I have no regrets with my decisions.

Everyone should experience India

Despite many people's misconceptions, India is an absolutely fabulous country to visit. Yes, it definitely is overwhelming at times, but that is why a program like the Alliance can be so beneficial to a group of unknowing & clueless Americans for four months. While the administration of the program was not exactly up to par, and caused some frustrations at times, I think this is typical of any type of administration that you'd find on India - things just don't work the same there, or go as smoothly, as they do in the US. The Alliance did a great job with adjusting to culture, being emotionally supportive to the students, and to be just wonderful people in general. My cohort loved all of the staff members of the Alliance.
Overall, a great experience! But know what you are getting into by studying in India.

Adventures in India

I had a really great time on my program. There were definitely difficulties, both with the program itself and just being a foreigner in India, but I am definitely glad that I did it. It was not the same academic standard as my school, but I learned more outside of the classroom than I ever would have.