Alliance for Global Education  Header Image Alliance for Global Education  Header Image

The Alliance in Manipal: Global and Public Health

The Real Deal Public Health Experience in India

I learned so much about myself through the inherent challenges of living in a new country, especially one like India. Pushing your boundaries and going outside your comfort zone is the most rewarding gift you can give yourself.
The classes expanded my knowledge a good bit without feeling overwhelming. Some classes were based on paper writing and others on tests.
The resident director on campus was the best lifeline. She built a great relationship with the study abroad office along with our public health professors to be our advocate on campus.
I shared a double with a current Manipal student. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are well cleaned by the housekeepers. A storage closet is provided to stock up on blankets, hangers, etc to reduce cost.
Meals in one of the mess halls on campus are provided in your program fees. Similar to any mess hall on your own home campus, you get tired of the food they serve but Manipal is surrounded with other restaurants and canteens.
We often rode the local bus to get to various places in Manipal and Udupi (the next closest city) which was a great opportunity to meet locals. We took the bus to a local art gallery to take art classes by a local woman and her other clients.
I had to visit the hopsital on campus two times throughout the semester; once for stomach problems and the other for ear infections. The hospital on campus is one of the best in India from what I've heard and experienced. Healthcare is very affordable compared to the US and the program fee includes insurance. Check the CDC for a list of vaccinations needed.

Adventure Time

For most of my life, I have known what was coming. Starting college, attending a family member’s wedding, going to a new restaurant, and making a new friend are all wonderful, complex occasions uniquely experienced by each individual. However, there is a general script that everyone is familiar with and we all know how each of these occasions will go, for the most part. I craved something totally new. I wanted to be in a situation where I had no idea what was going on or how to think about it. So I signed up to jump on a plane, fly to the opposite side of the world, and enjoy the vulnerability, excitement, and brain expansion that I knew would come along with it. I chose to be totally open to every experience and make the absolute most of every opportunity. I definitely got what I was looking for, but my craving for new adventures is nowhere near satisfied and I am already excited for whatever my next adventure will be!

Mother India at my Feet

I lived in Manipal, India for four months this past fall and could not imagine my life being any other ways. You learn so much about a culture when you study their health and I think that something I love the most about this program was being able to study Public Health in a country like India. Katie Jo is the director of the program and is AMAZING in every single way! She facilitates some awesome events and travels to so many temples and culturally immersing places in India that we otherwise never would have even heard of. I saw, learned and experienced more in 4 months than I ever thought I would!

Public health is best studied in Manipal

Looking back now, I am so grateful for the experiences that I had at Manipal in India. This program is focused towards public health and that is absolutely what you get. I couldn't have really asked for any more in this program. There are Friday field visit trips to local public health centers in the area to learn about how the health care system works in India. Field trips are most Saturdays, and there is a 12 day travel excursion planned mic-way through the semester. I learned so much about public health and about the world in general. My professors were amazing and I learned more than I ever thought was possible. What I learned in Manipal will help me in my future professional career without a doubt. If you are looking for and up for a challenge, India is the place for you. You will learn a lot about yourself.