Wildlife Photography & Conservation, Antelope Park
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Wildlife Photography & Conservation, Antelope Park

The best 6 weeks ever

I spent 6 weeks on the photography and hands on lion conservation project at Antelope Park, and I enjoyed every second of it. The best thing about the photography project is that you get the opportunity to go on all projects. You can spend one day at stables, the next on community or just stay on the lion project for the day. It's the perfect combination if you want to experience the african wildlife and the african culture and local community - it's the best of both worlds. I loved staying at the park, and I already miss it. You get so close to people in such a short amount of time, and you never feel alone. I came to the park by myself, but I had an extra family when I went home. My 6 weeks on the project was some of the best weeks of my life, and I will forever be grateful for the amazing experiences I had and all the wonderful people I met during my stay.

Photography volunteer

I Had the most absolutely fantastic life changing 2 weeks. Every person involved with this organisation are very professional, helpful, friendly and a pleasure to work with. Africa takes a piece of your heart and I came initially as I wanted to know why my daughter was coming back for the 3rd time as a researcher but also because I absolutely LOVE Elephants as they are so human like.... I could not have asked for a more special experience and YES a part of my heart is now here and I know it will pull me back again some day. Even as a grandmother my experience was awesome and everyone embraced me as just one of the group. I highly recommend all like minded people to experience what I have just done. I am sad to be leaving.

Where else but in Africa

I have absolutely loved my stay at Antelope Park. I came as a photography intern, not really knowing what I had sign up to because of lack of information from my booking agency (book directly through Antelope Park). When it became clear to both me and the managers that I haven't got the right information we took care of it together. A really great way to deal with the problem and I also felt like I had something to say!
My four weeks have been full of new imprints every single day - new people, new things to do every day. You get a routine but you don't get tired of the routine. I was a photography intern but I mainly joined the lion project - that means I also did the dirty work. But I didn't mind because we're all here for the same reason: so we just make it fun! And that is an experience that I wouldn't be without. You become one big family while doing volunteer work and that is definitely one of the best parts about being a vol!

Best trip ever!

This is a place where you can have fun, enjoy wildlife and have community impact all at the same time. The ALERT program is incredible and meeting everybody that is so passionately involved in it is amazing. This trip is something that I will never forget in my life. I just got back home and I am already thinking on when is the next time i go back.

Greatest experience ever

My experience at Antelope Park has been amazing. I loved that as a Photography volunteer I got the chance to do every activity that is offered, like walking with lions, being with the elephants, going to the community, etc. Everything about my stay here was amazing and I wouldnt change a thing.

Anders' experience

The time of my life. I don't have any words to describe it but I'll try. The people are fantastic and all the things I got to learn over the 4 weeks i spent at Antelope park, I will remember forever. I love the fact that i woke up in the morning to the sound of lions roaring in the distance, and being surrounded by friends from all over the world. The jobs we did during the day, wasn't always that fun, but being with so many amazing people, both staff and other volunteers, made it fun. Like cleaning poop and rotten meat out off the lion enclosures. Being able to take a walk with lions and elephants, seems so bizarre now that I'm home, but that is what we did. Everyday! Can't wrap my head around the last 4 weeks and all the amazing stuff I got to be a part of. This was not the last you guys have seen of me...I'll be back!

If only I could stay longer!

I came to Antelope park for the Photography Project. It has been a wonderful experience. There are so many things to see and do. I'm an experienced photographer so what I wanted was to be in front of amazing Things and I GOT IT! Diesel, the volunteer coordinator was outstanding. We knew every day what the plan was and I always felt like I was getting an opportunity to see and photograph as much as possible. One thing that was hard was that I take a lot of photos and there are so many activities that it's hard to keep up on cataloging and editing them each day. The days are long and full and after awhile it felt a little hard to keep up. Had we stayed 4 weeks I don't think this would be an issue.
A few thoughts on the programs here at Antelope Park. The walks With the Lions and Elephants are absolutely the highlight. I appreciate the attention to safety by the handlers. I think if the economics of it worked out for the park I wouldn't miss the elephant rides or the little presentation With the soccer ball and tricks the handlers do with the elephants. The feeling of walking with them and feeding them is much more wild feeling and way more impressive.

My time as a photography volunteer

Coming back to Africa, I didn't know what to expect this time. I had been to other countries, but never Zimbabwe. As soon as I arrived at camp, I was greeted by smiling faces of other volunteers and staff. Everyone was friendly. The next few days we had long days of inductions for the lions, elephants and horses. During that time, I was doubting my time here. Once I got into my program, I felt better. The photography program was good because we got to do a variety of activities -- game drives, research drives, carriage rides, horse safari, shooting the stars, lion walks, cub portraits, and more. After a few bumps in the road with planning, we were well on our way with the program. Through creativity workshops, we went over the importance of composition, color, black and white, among other things. Being able to be so close to these animals made for amazing photographs. And of course showing off our work to other volunteers and staff at the end was a highlight! For anyone who loves photography, this is definitely a good program for getting good shots for your portfolio. There are very few other places where you can get so close to animals!

Photography & volunteering

Amazing, life changing definitely worth going on. The lion walks in the morning are amazing photography opportunities with many of them playing or play fighting. The round up (collecting the safari horses on horse back) is also good, even if you are a beginner (like me). Make the most of all the trips and try and go on a majority of them as they are very worth while.

Loved with project but with several reservations

Antelope Park offers a wide variety of excellent activities and is an amazing project, but I feel that there are some serious animal welfare issues and lack of handlers and support for the staff which need to be addressed.

Hands on lion review

Overall I had a great time at Antelope park. The staff are incredibly welcoming and Rosa did a great Job at fairly distributing roles. The However some of the time on an activity you could feel a little useless as there's not really enough tools to go around, also the mattresses on the bed are extremely uncomfortable. My only concern I have with the parks overall stance is why they choose to breed more lions when there is not really enough room, and the release into stage two has not been for a long long time, (the breeding centre appears to be the stage two for the majority of lions born at AP). Apart from this I had a wonderful time and made some wonderful friends.

• African Impact responded to this review August 04, 2017 at 8:15 AM

Hi Connie,

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. The project staff have taken this into consideration and are currently working on improving the issues regarding tools and mattresses.

Due to limited funding, Antelope Park must acquire the resources first to build more release sites. As mentioned in your inductions, financial contributions from self-funded volunteers, like yourself, are vital for assisting ALERT and Antelope Park to cover the expenses of this release program including staff salaries, feeding lions and constructing Stage 2 release sites. We are excited for what the future holds and we plan to construct more Stage 2 release sites as soon as the resources become available.

We hope that this answers some of concerns and please let us know if you would like any further explanations. We want to ensure that all of our volunteers have a positive experience and we take every feedback into consideration.

Thank you again Connie and hopefully see you again!

The African Impact Antelope Park Team