Veterinary Assistance & Abused Animal Shelter
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Veterinary Assistance & Abused Animal Shelter

Volunteer for the veterinary assistance & abused animal shelter project 2018

My overall experience with African Impact was okay. I really loved the project itself, but prepare yourself for seeing some rough stuff and assisting in some heavy surgeries. I also really loved the people that I met on the project, we really became good friends. I didn't like the organization of African Impact that much. In my opinion, it is too big hence it's becoming very impersonal. The communication between staff and volunteers is not good. There is a lack of openness and some of the staff members were unfriendly towards the volunteers.

• African Impact responded to this review April 09, 2018 at 7:19 AM

Hey Leonie,
    We are really sad to hear your feedback and are in touch with the Cape Town staff team to look into this further. We really do pride ourselves on the staff teams that live and work with our volunteers as they are often such a positive part of a volunteer’s experience, so we are very sorry. We do run welcome nights, family events and workshops that aim to socialize our staff and volunteers in Cape Town, as well as mid-stay feedback sessions where any issues can be raised. Unfortunately, we did not see any negative comments during your mid-stay session but would be happy to chat further if you would like to share anything else with us – any feedback is welcomed. Please do contact us at marketing@africanimpact.com. Thank you for your hard work Leonie.
    The African Impact Team.

Much love for Cape Town

I really loved my time in cape town. The time went so fast, what i didn't expect. It feels like I just arrived. I will definitely come back. I can just recommend to volunteer in such a country because you really see the real country.

Stud.med.vet visit Welfare clinics around Cape Town

I have have had four weeks on the vet project. During that time I have worked with the vets in two different welfare clinics, one in Khayelitsha (Mdzenandra) and in Noordhoek (Tears). Tears is a big Kennel with a lot of dogs and a small clinic with 1-2 vets. Mdzenandra is more animal hospitals with consult, 3 vets and bigger remedies. At both places I got hand on, I got to help out in the hospital with daily treatment, in surgery I help out getting the animals ready for surgery, (put in IV catheter and intubate), and scrub in to help holding materials and then a got to neuter my first cat (I actually did it 4 cats). So you get to do something, wish is nice, you not just looking. If you are at vet student or would like to be one day, this program would differently be something for you!!

First vet volunteer of 2018

I was the first vet volunteer of 2018 and the first volunteer at Mdzananda Animal clinic. It was a great experience even though it was new for both parts. You really got your hands dirty and got into the technical vet stuff - which was awesome!

TEARS veterinary experience

I have experienced what feels like a whole new field of veterinary practice. The team at TEARS made me feel like family instantly and I never felt out of place. I have learnt invaluable tips and seen new procedures, all of which I will take forward with me in my future studies. I am heartbroken to leave, however also know that I will be back one day, maybe as a qualified vet myself where I would love to make more of a difference for the animals here.

My stay at TEARS - the vet project

It is hard to sum up every I feel in a short review, when I get home and have reflected on everything I want to write a blog. I got so much more out of this experience than I ever thought was possible. I have learnt so much more about the African culture than if I had come as a tourist. TEARS animal shelter were so welcoming and made me feel like one of the team. They treated us as one of the staff and we were given so much responsibility. It was really emotional leaving and I realised how much I had learnt. I am a dog person and the dogs are amazing. Seeing them every day, getting to know them and helping them was a fantastic experience. You knew how important our work was to the animals and how much they appreciated it.

Would come back

This has truly been an amazing experience and I am very happy i decided to go. Because of some other people who didn't have a great volunteering experience (with other companies), I thought volunteering with children was a silly thing because I've heard about so many people not doing anything, but going out drinking everyday and sit behind in the classroom/even staying home from project for no reason. It did not go long before African Impact changed my thoughts about this. African Impact is a very professional company who truly cares about their projects and all the children they work with. If i were to come back to volunteer I would definitely try out some more projects, because they truly do many an impact. If you want to make a change, African Impact is a great company to travel/stay with if you're looking to volunteer!

TEARS

The time that I have spent with African Impact has been absolutely incredible. All of the staff have been so welcoming and made me feel at home from the word go. Being at TEARS has by far been the best thing I have ever done, all of the staff and other volunteers were so friendly and made sure you got what you wanted out of your time volunteering. Being able to see the dogs improving everyday due to your time and patience is the best feeling in the world.

Tears of joy

Volunteering at TEARS is all about giving and receiving loads of love. When you get to feed and walk the dogs, take them for their first trip to the beach or just cuddle all day with the puppies, they will be so grateful, and you`ll become too! Do not hesitate to ask questions to the crew, and maybe, you`ll even consider rehoming one of your new best friends.

General review, or is it? ;)

House and stuff to do:
The people in the Lionhouse are amazing, you get to know them and get to bond with them. A very clean house, good food. nothing bad to say about it. There are a lot of things to do here in Cape Town, to much if you only go two weeks (like i did). The things you can do are crazy stuff like: paragliding, skydiving, safari, hiking table mountain and so on.

Project:
You work with a lot of dogs or cats (whatever you want, you can choose everyday different).

Dogs:
You bond with the dogs and you are able to take care of them. The volunteers will spend most likely a lot of time with the puppies, they are so adorable... you want to take them all home. You walk the dogs, feed the dogs and socialize with them.

Cats:
On the Thursday the Cattery gets around 50 cats that all need to be sterilized. If you are interested in this. GO THERE. Like for real, i wanted to become a vet and i have been there two days.... will never forget it. You will be able to help them, shaving the cats, disinfecting them and maybe more if you got experience ;)

Veterinary assistance project

My time at TEARS animal rescue has been the month of a life time. Caring for all of the animals and getting to know the staff has been an amazing experience. I have learnt so much while being here and cannot think of anything that was bad about my experience, I loved every second and cant wait to return in a few years! Thank you to everyone who made the month what it has been and made me feel like I'm part of a family.

Doggie heaven

I spent 2 of the most challenging and emotionally rewarding weeks of my life here in Cape Town on the Vet Assistance Project. Beautiful city, wonderful volunteers, dedicated staff and the most lovable dogs and cats.

TEARS // Best experience of my life

Starting at about 9 a.m my day was structured very individually. I got the freedom of working alone, because they trusted me. They have been noticing that I love what I do and soon I got more and more activities that require trust from their side. I loved being trusted. I loved and still love the people and animals. Never in my life have I been happier. I basically never wanted to leave work. I will definitely be coming back privately and work for TEARS again!

Puppy heaven

My second time volunteering in Cape Town with African Impact has been just as amazing as the first time. Working with TEARS animal rescue everyday was a continuous highlight and African Impact have assisted in making the experience an incredible one.

Vet assistant review

I absolutely loved the African Impact staff and volunteers. Most of the volunteers I met in the house were genial, and the staff members were so kind, friendly, and willing to do extra to help you feel at home. However, my experience at tears was not great. I loved working with the puppies and Ros, however, as a vet student I was more eager to do things such as watch or assist in surgeries, which I did not feel comfortable doing, due to such a hectic atmosphere. Also, some of the staff members at tears were not friendly, and my days mainly centered around walking and feeding dogs. Overall, I loved my experience with African Impact, and if I could go back the only thing I would change is my project.

Tears animal rescue project

It was a amazing experience. I find it amazing to spend a hole day working with the dogs because I love dogs. I also have had the received confirmation that I made the right study choice. I gonna miss my sweeties.

Exceptional volunteering experience

African Impact provided me with the tools to volunteer in a way where I truly felt that my contribution mattered. I loved the experience of living in the volunteer house, sharing ideas, meals and support. I signed up to spend my time at TEARS, a rescue and low cost vet option for residents in Capetown. The staff at TEARS went above and beyond to care for their animals and provide for the local community.

The combination of the support in the volunteer house and the experience at TEARS has truly left a valuable impact on me and the direction that I will take in my life after leaving the project. I will be eternally grateful for the way that I was able to experience South Africa and attribute my positive experience to the staff members at African Impact. Thank you!!

Tina's adventure

i had a fantastic experience at tears animal shelter , really you need to go to work and see the awesome work that the staff do to help these unfortunate animals ... with out of the fantastic support of african impact my experince would not of been complete

great impact

It has been an amazing experience. Being able to have an impact on the lives of the cats and doggs who are so desperately in need pf help. Both the staff of african impact and the staff of "tears" where verry helpfull in suportive througout this whole project. I would love to come back some day!

South African Adventures

I travelled alone to Capetown after years of raising family and work to see how much I could achieve solo and how far I could push myself .
With the help of the house and project staff I feel I exceeded my own expectations . It has been an amazing experience , and the other volunteers in the house were great company ,and although they were mostly the age of my Grand children I felt accepted and welcome !