The Build-It Project, Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

The Build-It Project, Livingstone, Zambia

I found a family In Livingstone African Impact

I had the best and most humbling time in my time with African Impact Livingstone, The African Impact staff were the most friendly and down-to-Earth people I've ever met, they helped me through the three months I've been in Zambia (getting settled), they very helpful and very entertaining, especially with games night and watching the sunset (both the volunteers and A.I staff), As a Build-it volunteer, I found the work to be fun and educational, especially farming Fridays and building with eco-bricks, it was inspirational and great work, in which i found my three month journey to be humbling and an education, our Build-it community Liaison, Solomon, was awesome, friendly and funny, as he taught me and the other volunteers the in-depth knowledge of Zambian culture which I found to be amazing and epic, he helped me and the other Build-It volunteers to settle in our project, he was the extremely helpful in the project, my time in Zambia has been simply humbling, there is definitely a family-like atmosphere in the African Impact Livingstone Project.

Livingstone Projects

When I originally signed up to volunteer in Livingstone I did not know what to expect and was slightly hesitant about the weeks ahead. However, my experience with the community projects was phenomenal, my concerns were obsolete and I thoroughly enjoyed my time to the point I extended my trip to continue to volunteer. The management team are all incredible and are incredibly passionate about the projects and ensuring you as a volunteer enjoy the experience as well. I came not knowing what to expect and can easily say the organisation and functionality of the projects is by far better than anything I could have imagined. You can not describe the feeling when you enter a school and the children are extremely enthusiastic to meet and speak with you, nor their dedication to learn and improve their its maths, arts, environmental or English skills. Volunteering in Livingstone was an amazing and experience and has made me want to consider pathways involving charities, I recommend this experience for any individual looking to be inspired, have fun and make a difference.

Awesome experience

My time here has been life changing and am very sad to be writing this evaluation so quickly. I wish that i could stay longer because i don''t want this adventure to end however all good things come to an end

Haley's first Zambian experience

Having studied abroad in South Africa for a month in 2015, I knew I wanted to come back to this incredible continent. I had such an amazing time and never thought I'd experience something even more incredible for a month in Livingstone, Zambia. I was on the building project and thoroughly enjoyed learning the basics behind building, as this was my first experience with physical labour. The afternoon projects in various places were also a great introduction to a variety of other subjects like medicine and teaching. Personally, the piece of my African Impact experience that I will remember for years to come was making so many friends from all over the world. Everyone who volunteers has something special to offer and many of the locals are so friendly and informative as well. I hope to keep in touch with everyone I have met here.

10/10

This program excellently combines aspects of child care, community outreach, hands-on work and a warm and inclusive social experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. I have learned so much in my time here that I cannot wait to bring back and use in my everyday life.

Overall experience

Amazingly unique and wonderful program that combines culture with volunteering and integrates new comers swiftly. Incredible experience that allows you to explore all forms of an African country, from volunteering, to its people and the natural beauty it has to offer.

My time with African impact

My time here in Livingstone has been full of memories that will stay with me forever, I have met some amazing people and had a lot of fun. The work I was involved with in the community was extremely rewarding and you can feel your efforts really making a difference to the lives of the people you come across. The project was run exceptionally well and every effort was made to make you feel welcome and comfortable from the first day all the way to the last. The location in Livingstone is great and provides both a safe and fun environment to be in. I am so happy that I volunteered here and would definitely consider returning in the future.

overall ratings

The volunteering house is good, i've made a lot of new friends. The food was excellent and it was enough, only the wifi wasn't good, but what do you expect when your going to Africa. conclusion: it was a great experience and i will do it again!!

Build it project

Excellent members of staff and well organised and safe projects. A real variety of projects available, I was very grateful that I was able to sample a bit of everything during my stay making it a really dynamic experience.

African Impact

Great experience which I would recommend to friends and family. The co coordinators and project managers were excellent and always available to answer any questions.
I look forward to going on more projects with African Impact.

We be Zam'n

The Livingstone projects are well run, engaging and enthusiastic programs - of the best I've joined. The flexibility and variety of projects kept my interest easily for two weeks, wish I could stay!!

Great experience

Enjoyed everything, especially the interaction with the local children, adults, and community liaisons. I was impressed with the way the days were organized, giving every volunteer an opportunity to experience different activities. The African Impact staff were great.

Hands down best six weeks of my life

It's hard to put in words all the things that I lived these past six weeks. I fell in love with the people in Livingston and it really breaks my heart not being able to stay longer. I run out of time I will send a much compelling review when I get back home.

Livingstone living

My time in Livingstone was incredible. With African impact , I worked as part of the building project, I've especially enjoyed this project as you directly see the physical impact you're making/creating.

Making an impact while having fun

The overall experience was a lot of fun and I definitely felt as though I was helping to make an impact in the process. Everyone I met on the project was fun to be around and I always felt welcomed from the start. Some things, such as maths club, I was not expecting to enjoy, but then I was pleasantly surprised when I actually went on the project.

Auzzie guys Livingstone experience

This was my fist time volunteering, and my first time to Africa. My overall experience was outstanding. I believe that the effort that you put into the projects is what you will be getting out of them. I made some new friends and memories which I will keep for the rest of my life.

At times on the building project there were times that we were doing nothing which was boring, also at times it got really hot, but that's to be expected in Africa. I liked how we were given different projects such as reading and maths club. I found the volunteering aspect quite rewarding, the kids were pretty good, they were happy and friendly, but a little distracted at times - as expected. There was also the ability to change projects, which was good.
The accommodation was better than I expected and the guys that I was sharing with were friendly and inclusive which made my experience a lot better.

Emma's experience of building

Working with African Impact was a fantastic, life changing experience. Building was hard work at times but thoroughly enjoyable. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming and I will miss it very much here.