Teaching and community support on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Teaching and community support on the slopes of Kilimanjaro

Excellent

Every single element of African Impact in Moshi is amazing from the people that work here to the projects themselves. The people here are loving and they are making a massive difference in increase the education within society here in Moshi.

Education Project, Moshi

I was able to feel fully submerged within the community that I was teaching in, I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of my trip, especially doing cultural trips during free time. Overall it was fantastic, and I would recommend coming to Moshi with African Impact to anyone.

Education Project, Moshi

Education project in Moshi

On arrival I immediately felt welcomed with the other house mates and the staff, I worked on projects with Masai Town and the Wazee, this allowed me to work with all parts of the community and I felt I was fully prepared and involved in the project.

A once in a lifetime experience

I thoroughly enjoyed every second of my trip with African Impact from learning about all of the different cultures in Moshi and educating all sorts of different people. Amazing and life changing experience.

Unreal!!

Had such an amazing time on the project. Food, house and amenities all super and exceeded all of my expectations from the time i arrived. Loved having new projects to undertake each day, i felt it kept me enthused and excited
throughout my time here. Overall, an amazing and worthwhile experience

Best experience of my life... so far!

I have enjoyed each and every moment spent with African Impact. As my first international trip solo, I am so glad I chose African Impact. I felt a part of a family and truly my home away from home. The projects were amazing and I was able to connect with many members of the Moshi community. This has been an unforgettable experience! I cannot wait to come back.

African Impact Tanzania

The education and community support project by African Impact in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania has been one of the most worthwhile and exciting experiences I have had. By joining the African Impact team here and directly helping people in the local community, i have had an amazing chance to engage and connect with Tanzanian and African culture. A great experience and I hope to be back.

General

I believe that African Impact empowers the community it serves, while providing volunteers with a quality "boots on ground" experience that is well worth your volunteer support.

Two weeks, still life-changing

I was in Moshi for only two weeks, yet it was still the most rewarding, remarkable, and inspiring time of my life. If you want an authentic African experience, this is definitely the place for you. You will learn about yourself and about the world that we live in. You will meet incredible people who are doing incredible work to learn English and better their lives. You will be immersed in the culture and supported by the most loving, comforting, and genuine team you've ever met.

An honest review

It has been about 2 months since my volunteering project in Moshi and I have been debating whether I should write this honest review, but I think that if I had read something like this prior, it may have changed my decision to come. Don’t get me wrong, I had a fabulous time in Africa, loved the people I met and the experiences I had and it was a great introduction. But overall I don’t feel this was the best use of my money and time in a third world country. I have done a bit of volunteering before, so my reflections are also influenced by those experiences.
Firstly the projects; I loved the community English classes, I felt that I could really make a difference. The nursery and old peoples home was also very rewarding. I felt however that I could have worked harder- we often finished work by 3.30pm and had hours to kill before dinner. The staff on project were inspiring and amazing, shout out to Bertha and Amos especially!
The volunteer house is great; comfortable and safe. The food was yummy, although I was often left a bit hungry. A few times, volunteers missed out on meals completely due to communication issues.
I would also like to comment on a few issues that unfortunately let African Impact down. A lot of volunteers brought resources such as books, paper, pens and games and sadly, they were just dumped in a room FULL of the same without any appreciation. Volunteers actually took them back when they were treated this way and were given to a local orphanage (where they were actually really needed and appreciated).
We also had issues with what was ‘allowed’ of volunteers in their time off project. It caused a lot of tension in the group and could have been avoided if staff gave clear guidelines on what was permitted. It turns out we were not permitted to visit a place that served alcohol during week days.
Finally, I guess I am disappointed with the feedback opportunities. I was told that I would get to complete anonymous feedback, where I would have shared the above, but my emails to the project manager have gone ignored.
This project would be good for someone new to volunteering and wanting to experience a taste of local Africa. But I feel the large amount of money I paid could have gone to better use elsewhere. And in an honest summary, I would not recommend this project to my friends.

Colours of Tanzania

I spent 6 weeks of volunteering here in Moshi. It was an amazing experience to be part of so many different projects, got to know so many people, young and old, more and less privileged and I learnt so much about their culture and daily life. Apart from being on the projects and learning a lot by doing lots of lessons myself, I really feel that I have experienced Tanzania as a country in an authentic way. As a teacher here in Msaranga you really get to know the local people and their daily life, their backgrounds, their ups and downs. Life here is so colourful, people and environment. I did a lot of trips and tours, travelled near and far from Moshi, it really is a great place to be. Now, I do not feel like a real Msungu anymore!

Never ending learnings

It was a fantastic experience. From the beginning I had been advised and supported, which makes everything much easier , especially when you are visiting a different culture. Culture exchange and interaction is so rewarding, I just will never forget what I lived here because I have learnt as much or even more than my students.

A brief and honest review

Having stayed here for 3 weeks I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my time here as a volunteer. The staff here are committed to their jobs on project and guide you on the course as an equal. I can also say that the projects are all striving towards a better future for the participants and you will never feel as though you are not making an impact. However, I must admit that this has been my only experience volunteering and so I do not have any point of comparison to make and therefore I can not say if there are better options available. I would implore you to research all options thoroughly. I personally found 3 weeks a sufficient amount of time here, and if your looking for a longer term more sustainable option perhaps look elsewhere than African Impact.

Thank you African Impact!

Working with African Impact to help support the local community through education programs was a fulfilling and eye opening experience. It is something that I would highly recommend to those who want to challenge themselves or simply immerse themselves in a new culture. By the end of your time here, the locals will refer to you as 'kaka' and 'dada', which means 'brother' and 'sister' in Swahili, and that is exactly how you will feel; like family.

Feel happy in life!

I really enjoyed meeting lovely people and understanding a new culture, I have learned a lot about different ways to feel happy in life! I am a teacher in Spain and wanted to use my teaching techniques here.

Gained confidence!

This project has changed me as a personal massively - I can't thank you enough for that. I gained far more confidence about travelling on my own as a young adult which has reassured me about the rest of my gap year.

It was a great first experience of volunteering

I think I have grown as a person, I do feel I have more I can give. It was a great first experience of volunteering. It has opened my eyes to see how diverse the world is. I do feel that there are many people that need support! It has also made me realise how happy you can be when focused on others and not yourself

Would come back asap!

The team in Moshi made the entire experience incredibly memorable and fun. Everything was well organised and we were fully immersed in the culture. The projects were great and you'll learn a lot there.

Good

The African Impact experience was amazing! I felt instantly welcomed and easily worked my way into the daily routine. The housing was far better than expected and the food was great. I felt very comfortable with everyone I worked with.

An incredible experience

Volunteering with African Impact in Moshi was absolutely amazing! The volunteer house is situated close to the local projects so you are completely immersed in the community and have the chance to really get to know both your students and the teachers from the community. The local staff are all very inviting in sharing their culture and giving ideas on what to do around Moshi, and trips and tours are easily organized by the staff at the project. It's a great way to see Moshi and and get to know the area, and can easily be done pre or post hiking Kili!! If you are considering hiking Kili, I highly recommend volunteering as well because the area has so much more to offer than just the mountain, and the locals are some of the friendliest around. With the large variety of projects available, it is hard not to find one (or many) that you love!!

Moshi volunteering

It was amazing going to projects and teaching english to the community. It's amazing how you are teaching but at the same time learning a lot from them too. People are so welcoming and friendly. I loved how the students were constantly trying to become better everyday in class and how they really enjoyed having us there.

Safi sana, it's felt like home

I had the most incredible 2 weeks. The country and the community were absolutely awe-inspiring; every day I was surrounded by amazing weather, an amazing culture, amazing food, an amazing language, amazing Mount Kilimanjaro and, most of all, amazing people. The people here, from the very first day, really made Moshi feel like home. The staff, the other volunteers, the members of the community and the people we work with were so welcoming and so friendly. In this kind of environment, it's been impossible not to be happy every second of every day.
Perhaps best of all, even in just 2 weeks, you see the real, tangible difference you make in peoples' lives. It's so clear how much African Impact's projects benefit the members of the community; but, without a doubt, I've taken even more from it than they have.

Best thing i could ever do.

My 4 week stay with African Impact Moshi was literally the best thing I've ever done in my life. Loved having the opportunity to transmit knowledge to others and learn so much about all the people here.

A true cultural experience

Overall, my experience with African Impact has been excellent, from the projects themselves, the staff, the housing and even the food has been brilliant. I would highly recommend anyone with a interest in travelling to Africa and helping others to do so with African Impact.