Rural Medical & HIV/AIDS Awareness, Zululand
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Rural Medical & HIV/AIDS Awareness, Zululand

Ambrose's African Impact review

The introduction to for the African Impact St Lucia program was very informative. In addition, the few information nights provided a great amount of detail for the organisations that we were involved with. Overall the experience, of volunteering with African Impact was a pleasant one and would highly recommend it to other volunteers.

African Impact had a huge impact on my life

I honestly cannot say enough good things about African Impact. The 3 weeks I spent in St. Lucia have been ones I will cherish forever. Everything was very organized and we were always busy doing important, while still fun, jobs and activities. I felt really welcomed by the AI family and community from the minute I got off the airplane. I hope to come back and volunteer with African Impact again.

Khula and Ezwenelisha medical support

From the moment I arrived in South Africa my experience has repeatedly taken my breath away and consistently provided so many special moments.
The team in St Lucia; Sianne, Lorna, Emma and in particular the indefatigable Kim alongside the remarkable ladies from the community; Shwele, Nokwethemba, Mumsy and Nonhlanhla all work so hard to ensure that the work in the community is sustainable and focused towards enabling the community to support themselves to grow and develop.
The patients we see on a daily basis are also a wonderful example of positivity, from the first Gogo we saw here with terminal breast cancer to a young former security guard who lost the use of his legs after being shot in the back, all who live here exude a positive energy that it is impossible not to be inspired by.
There have been some hard moments which, on a project like this, are difficult to avoid, but they are part of the ebb and flow of life here.
Highlights that stick out for me are the support group I was fortunate to lead despite losing my voice! There I discussed my own experience with HIV, sharing my story with a remarkable group of women and community carers who can now spread the message of HIV prevention and treatment through their own community.
The physio sessions were another high point for me, seeing genuine progress in the patients we saw using simple materials like stress balls and rubber bands!
The other volunteers, Kathryn and Gemma have also made this experience special for me with a dedication to care for their patients that has been wonderful to witness.
Off project at weekends there have been many opportunities to explore, including a night away at the wonderful Thanda game reserve, the elephant interaction and sailing down the estuary watching the hippos and Nile crocodiles, as well as a beach and bush horseback safari!
It has been my absolute pleasure to come and visit and work on this remarkable project and I feel confident that within a short period, I will be back.

That's the thing with this beautiful place; once is never enough.

Unbelievable experience in Zululand

I had such an amazing time volunteering. I enjoyed all of the projects so much. It's an eye opening experience and you learn something new on project every day. The staff and Zulu team are great. They do such a good job managing the projects, making them sustainable and meaningful.

St. Lucia healthcare

St. Lucia is a beautiful area, but lacks a lot in regards to healthcare. On project we were able to provide some much needed healthcare, while getting to know many of the wonderful patients on a personal level. It was extremely rewarding to see how much our patients appreciated the work that we did. The volunteer house is located in a very safe and beautiful part of town, and there is always something fun to do on the weekends, when you are off from project.

African Impact Volunteer / South Africa

African Impact Volunteer / South Africa. I loved it here. It exceeded my expectations. I wish I could stay longer. All of the people here were so wonderful. -------------------------------------------

African Impact Volunteer Trip - South Africa

It was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone looking to volunteer abroad. It is a great community to work in, and the staff is very friendly. I would definitely go again. ----------

My Volunteer Experience in St Lucia South Africa

This was a huge eye-opening experience. It was very real and we were able to empower and help out people and families who were always so appreciative. -------------------------------------------------

Amazing

Had an amazing and enriching experience. Hopefully I can return sometime to do it again!

Exploring beyond your comfort zone

This past summer, from May 8th to June 5th,2016, I had an opportunity to be a part of the Rural Medical Project in St. Lucia. The staff were very approachable and truth be told; every interaction with people in the community and other volunteers is by far the greatest experience you'll ever have. Being on the health care project for me was part of not only personal growth but also to figure out what I wanted to do for my master's capstone project. If you explore beyond where you have grown up you will realize how much we take for granted in developed nations. However, one thing to keep in mind is to always keep an open mind and listen to each individual's story because in the end we are all storytellers. Take the chance and explore beyond where you have lived your whole life.

Forever Impact

Hello, I spent 5 weeks with African Impact in St. Lucia in July/August 2013 and I can truly say it was one of the most impactful experiences of my life.... and being 56, that is a lot of life! The work was amazing, we did and do make a difference, the staff was incredible and the other volunteers could not have been more engaging and invested. But most of all, the people of the two villages I worked in are what has impacted me the most... they are gracious, loving, thoughtful people, from the small children to the elderly. I was on the medical project but every day was different from working in the clinic, going into people's homes to help them, to recording weights and stats on children, to working in a community garden, teaching HIV awareness to children and adults, walking the streets of the villages with children holding your hands, seeing monkeys all around, going on a safari to singing songs with the staff and volunteers, it was ALL amazing. Everyday, we worked hard but it felt so good doing something I know makes a difference. These people live in very tough circumstances and still maintain positive outlooks and a sense of hope is something we can all learn from... I know I have. My heart swells when I think of my time in South Africa and I would go back and work with African Impact in a heartbeat. I learned so much while there, it is hard to describe. I will always be grateful to the people of St. Lucia and to my friends!! Thank you Sonja, thank you Alanna, thank you Monique, thank you Miriam, Nekwetamba, Schwele, Mumsi, Sedeki and Mumsi! You are the best! Malinda Z.

Eye-opening, safe, full of fun

I was on the medical project for 4 weeks. There were mainly two parts in the medical project: helping in the clinic and visiting local patients. There was a list (which expands as new people want to join) of patients who are inconvenient to go to clinic, and medical volunteers go to their house to assess their health status, give some medicine, and sometimes help them exercise. No medical education background is required for any, but some knowledge about AIDS, stroke, and some other diseases can definitely help. Sometimes the medical volunteers worked together with the education group, so I experienced educating local children as well.

I had a great time working with other volunteers, and I really learned a lot about diseases and Zulu culture. The faculty member tried to assign me (and everyone else) on different tasks everyday in a week, so I was never bored and got the chance to experience a lot. Volunteers must be accompanied by a Zulu person to enter the village, and I learned a lot about Zulu culture from the Zulu ladies. It was really pleasant to go on projects and interact with local people. I felt the things we did were really impacting local people's life. They appreciated our help and were willing to learn more about healthy life from us.

Meanwhile, I felt very safe living in the volunteer house and quite convenient in St.Lucia. The activities we did on weekends, including safari and hippo tour, were amazing. Overall, it was a really eye-opening experience, and I enjoyed staying in St.Lucia.

Best life experience ever!

Yes, definitely the best life experience ever! I've learned so so much here, helping people who really need it in a different world i've only heard of. This made a lot of impact on me and i know it will still make a lot of impact on me when i'm back in Holland.

Volunteering

As an African American traveling to the continent of Africa on behalf of African impact this experience was an eye opening transformative, educational and uplifting journey. I would encourage anyone considering volunteering to do likewise.

Fun

I had a lot of fun, and met a lot of great people. I felt very immersed in the culture. It felt like I was helping the community through all of the projects. I felt comfortable and information was easily available.

Loved AI

I loved African Impact and the work we did. It was such a great experience. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Two Way Impact

I had such an amazing time volunteering with African Impact. The projects were so powerful and rewarding I feel that not only did I impact the communities I worked in, but that the culture also made a positive impact on me and my life.

An amazing experience

This was an incredible program to be a part of. Being able to go out into the rural communities and provide people with education and support to make their lives better while respecting and learning about Zulu culture is an experience I'll never forget.

I <3 ISV

Once in a lifetime experience. Best two weeks of my life =)

St Lucia

I had a lot of fun on this project. The Medical Coordinator was really fun and helped the volunteers to understand what they were doing and taught them many things about the patients and how healthcare is done in rural South Africa.I would recommend this project to those with or without medical experience.

Grateful for the experience!

My experience overall was very good. I enjoyed the opportunity to engage directly with the families in the community and feel a small sense of providing hope and help to many during my two week stay. I saw how grateful the patients were for the medical support, their appreciation for the care we showed in visiting them and asking about their health and wellbeing. It was also very meaningful to be able to share simple kindnesses with their family members .. especially the children. I would be interested in knowing how `i might support the project in some small way (perhaps with food parcels) in the future.
The town, while small was interesting, colorful and I found the local friendly and warm.
Outside the project work, the free time activities were varied and interesting.
Several other volunteers and I took a weekend and went to the Thanda Game Resort, which was a huge highlight of my entire time. I would highly recommend it.

Rural Healthcare in Zululand

Excellent experience on the medical programme with African Impact. The staff and communities are very welcoming. Definitely a must do!

Rural healthcare in St Lucia

African Impact do an amazing job in the rural areas of Zululand. They put all their time and effort into the work they do to make long-lasting differences for the people there. As a returning volunteer I've seen changes they make and its worth every minute they put into it.

Medical Volunteer in St. Lucia

Working with African Impact as a Medical Volunteer in St. Lucia was an incredibly challenging experience, but a formative one that allowed me to learn and grow tremendously. Overall, it was a great way to travel and see more of the world while working to serve the community.

Great starter volunteer program

This was a very warm, friendly volunteer opportunity with comfortable living conditions and accommodations. There was ample amount of time for relaxing, touring, and enjoying the other volunteers' company. The managers and project coordinators were fun, cheerful, energetic and positive. This is a great way to get your foot in the door to volunteering in another country. There is time spent with the locals in the community but it is not overtaxing.