Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Support - Cape Town
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Support - Cape Town

Life enhancing

I have made the most incredible memories, had the most enriching experiences and met the most amazing people. My only regret is not staying longer. Genuinely very sad to be leaving, will 100% be back!

A must do!

An awesome opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and do something that truly makes a difference in other people's lives and the community. With many different programs available depending on your interests you will certainly find something up your ally to help with. The African Impact Team is amazing with a wealth of knowledge and welcome you in with open arms to the family. I personally was working on the Orphan and Vulnerable Care Project and the time spent with the children and staff was such a highlight. Seeing the joy on the children's faces when you help them do something or give them praise and encouragement is something you will never forget. Seeing the quiet and shyer kids grow in confidence and come out of their shell is again such a rewarding experience. Not only do you have an impact on the children but you have the opportunity to learn so much from the carers and grannies too.
This is an experience for all. Seeing the sights of the communities and how people live their lives is such an eye opener and one where you will always be grateful for all that we have available in the western world, where we can take so much for granted.

4 weeks of my life I will never regret

I still really had no idea what to expect when coming to join African Impact. I got a lot of useful information leading up to my stay but it helps to come in with an open mind and enjoy the experience for the amazing experience it is. You learn to really appreciate just how lucky we are. The people here are amazing and so welcoming. The local staff at project are a wealth of knowledge and i will always remember the happy smiles and the joy of working with the children.

The best 4 weeks of my life

I had the best 4 weeks of my life during my stay here in Cape Town at the Lion's house. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming and all the volunteers are amazing. Very clean house, staff are great and Shacky and Jane also. The projects that I went to (OVC and GAPA) are both well organised and opened my eyes to so many different things whilst creating the best relationships with the children. I would most definite come back again.

African Impact/Cape town orphan & vulnerable care project

I have found the whole volunteering experience with AI to be exceptional. From the general organisation and co-ordination of the volunteers and projects down to the specifics of health & safety/meals & tour facilitation these guys are extremely well organised and passionate in what they do. I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in participating in a volunteer programme.

African Impact Cape town

My experience with African Impact was incredible, I had the most amazing time and they were very helpful with planning weekend​ excursions. I am very happy with my choice with African Impact they made my first experience unforgettable and I hope to return!

My 3 weeks in Cape Town

I was on the OVC project for 3 weeks. Each morning we went to the orphanage and then the afternoons differed between two different after school programs. The weekends in Cape Town were amazing with so many different activities to do, you are never bored! The experience was incredible and everything I had hoped for. I will defiantly be back next year-and for longer!

OVC Project

My experience with this company has been incredible. I volunteered at the Orphanage and Vulnerable Care project in the morning, and at GAPA and Home from Home during the afternoon. I came during the holidays, which enabled me to work at a few different programs in the evening throughout my three weeks. African Impact was amazing and had everything down to a science; the organization throughout my entire stay was very reassuring and made for an easy transition. The volunteer house is so welcoming and made it hard to leave. The staff in the house offered loads of suggestions for activities in the evenings and over the weekend, and there was never a dull moment. I will definitely be back next summer to start my next volunteer project with African Impact!

My African experience

Deciding to volunteer with African Impact was the best decision of my life. Coming to South Africa was my first time leaving the country alone and I was totally confident thanks to the staff at African impact. After a long 23 hour flight I was welcomed with a huge hug by Jen and already felt love from the team. In 2 short weeks I have created the most incredible bonds that I know will last forever. Volunteering in Khayelitsha was so eye opening. I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity in the States but volunteering here was so different. The children are all so loving and immediately run up to hug you. I will never forget the kids and people I worked with and will definitely be back in cape town!

Once in a lifetime experience

Volunteering with African Impact has been an incredible experience for me. You are involved and given authority in every step of the impact as you plan the activities for the week and actually lead them with the kids. The people, staff and volunteers, make you feel welcome right when you walk through the door and by the next day you already feel like a part of the family. The overall mission of the organization ensures sustainability so you by the end of your stay you feel like you've really made a difference in the lives of others. And on the weekends you are free to do anything you would like in Cape Town - such as skydiving, bungee jumping off the highest bungy bridge in the world, going to the markets, climbing table mountain, the opportunities in this location are endless. Overall if you are looking for an amazing volunteer experience, lasting relationships, and memories to last a lifetime - look no further. I am so grateful to have volunteered with African Impact!

Review of volunteer experience

My time with African Impact has been the best experience of my life so far. I was extremely nervous about leaving home for a month and the unexpected- it was my first time being away from home for longer than a week! However, I couldn’t have been more warmly welcomed into the African Impact family in Cape Town and I quickly made friends for life. My time on project was amazing; spending time planning for the week ahead and adding your own thoughts and ideas into activities for the children made the experience more personal and seeing the children progress and flourish in the short time you’re here is so rewarding. The whole experience from living in the house, to going out on project and also the amazing weekend activities available made this trip the most unforgettable experience and I cannot wait to go back and make more fantastic memories there!

Experience of a lifetime

Coming to Cape Town and working within African Impact exceeded any expectation I could have imagined. You are welcomed into the house and the family as soon as you step foot in the door. The projects you will have the opportunity to work on will be one of the most amazing and rewarding things you will ever do. As I was an OVC volunteer I worked within three different projects; Fikelela, GAPA and Home from Home. The children you will work with are beyond incredible and allow you to see first hand the happiness that the simple things in life can bring. You will go home with a new outlook on life. I can't put into words the amazing opportunities you will be given from your time here! Not to mention the endless weekend activities and how amazing all the staff and volunteer coordinators are. Any words I write cannot do justice to the experience of being in South Africa, I recommend anyone to come and experience all this amazing place has to offer.

2 weeks in Cape Town

I had an amazing two weeks on the OVC project in Cape Town. Although having only been here for a short time its easy to see the difference you can make in the lives of the children. The whole experience has been truly rewarding! The lion house family have been so welcoming and accommodating you feel like you've known everyone for longer than a couple of weeks! It has been an incredible experience and I would urge people to come and volunteer!

Cape Town volunteering

Cape Town is an amazing city. You live in a student area between the township and the city center, so we were very happy about the area. The house we lived in was good enough but it didn't have the capacity for the amount of people who stayed there at some points. We missed more showers, hot water, more toilets, more seating places and so on. The food quality was poor taking into consideration the amount of money we payed for our stay, and we had troubles with the volunteers getting sick. Khayelitsha, where I worked, was an exciting place and the project areas was good. We had several different projects which made our days unique. The only minus was the fact that we spent an hour driving people to projects in the morning and even more time picking and dropping people off for lunch and back to the house. The lockout, where we stayed 1.5 hours for lunch tuesday-thursday, was just an empty cafeteria and we were sad that we wasted so much time there every week. Also a little bit sad that there were so many rules against cuddling with the children, having them on our lap and taking photos of the kids. But when that's said, I still had the time of my life in beautiful Cape Town, meeting great people from all around the world and getting to see the cutest children develop during our stay.

Volunteering at African Impact in Cape Town

I had an amazing time volunteering in Cape Town. Cape town is an incredible city with lots of opportunities to do fun stuff. The lion house is situated in Observatory, a place with lots of bars and good restaurants. Observatory is also just a short car drive from Cape town city center. All the staff members at African Impact are very friendly and welcoming, and take good care of you from day one. They offer a lot of different projects and that definitely makes every day interesting, The projects are very good and I enjoyed every second out on project with the children.It was a wonderful feeling to see how much the children enjoyed our company and how much they learned. On the other hand we used a lot of time in the car driving to projects, and I did not feel that we had the opportunity to do what we wanted with the children. Many of the activities were already planned by the staff, and we did not have a lot of freedom around planning. It is an amazing experience to live in a house with so many volunteers and everyone becomes a big family, but at some point in my stay i felt that they did not have the capacity for the amount of volunteers staying, for example not enough hot water, to few showers and toilets, bad internet even though we pay for it and not enough sitting places to eat dinner etc.

Eye-opening

My time at Cape Town with African Impact was amazing! The children are so grateful for us being here for them. Their smiles and their laughs is what I have looked forward to every morning. The children seem so humble, all they need is hugs and love to be happy. Working in the communities was an eye-opening experience for me. The people living in these communities work so incredibly hard for their family. I wish I could do more for them, seeing what they live in and what they go through each day. It is definitely shocking at first, but you soon understand that this is the life they grew up with and know. The caregivers for the children who work 12+ hours a day are extraordinary! These children need a lot of attention and each of us need to have tons of energy in order to keep up with them. The caregivers/grandmothers who spend their time for the children are truly amazing and wonderful people. I will miss them. The staff and volunteers welcome you like you have known them for years! Right away I became friends with everyone in the house. Everyone is so friendly and will never leave you behind. This experience has changed my life for the better. I see the wold in a completely different light.

A life enhancing three weeks with African Impact!

Well where do I start..

I flew out to Cape Town as a guy who had traveled alot beforehand, has an okay job at home and an amazing group of family and friends behind me, However there has always been something missing and I never knew what it actually was until I arrived in Cape Town, from the second I was met by Vicky with her smiley bouncy attitude at Cape Town International Airport until this very moment 3 days before my departure, I have felt part of a family and created life-long friendships, this is majorly down to the staff as well as the volunteers at Lionhouse.

I beg anyone who wants to volunteer/travel alone for whatever reason or just make a difference in a place where you can clearly see the work your doing IS making a difference to come to Cape Town with African Impact.

Working with African Impact In Cape Town is a chance to work in an amazing city as well as helping to be a key part in the ongoing work in creating a 'New South Africa' that is beneficial to every single citizen in this outstanding country,

Giving the children of Africa a chance at happiness

Volunteering at African Impact is a life changing experience. i enjoyed working at the projects and watching the children skills improve, while also having fun as well. creating the activities for the children and seeing that they worked well was also extremely rewarding. However leaving the house I do worry that the hard work I've put in may not continue, but I have total faith in the African Impact team to not let that happen.

Amy Thomas' review

It has been the best 3 weeks of my life. African Impact have worked so hard to put in place such an amazing programme. From accommodation, the projects, to giving you in great detail whats expected and why we do it. The materials we have to use with the children is brilliant, and everyone here can feel involved and all play different roles in the project. I did not know what to expect when I came here, as its my first time travelling but I have been outstanded. I would say if you come for only 2/3 weeks, and wanted to explore the city more during the day it is hard due to activities are only on weekend. But the activities i have done were excellent, and personally I feel as if i have made 100% of my trip and have managed to do everything Ive wanted. Its been such a life experience and i would recommended to anyone. THANK YOU AFRICAN IMPACT!

An incredible experience that you will never forget!

My time in Cape Town with African impact will forever stay in my heart and mind as one of the best times I ever had. I am sad it is ending, but happy to return home with so many more memories. If you are looking for a life changing experience with great people go volunteer with African Impact! Thank you so much for making every day a special one.

African Impact review

Ammmmmaaaaaazing experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone that would like to volunteer! You could not choose a better organization. African Impact is sustainable, empowering and you will make a real impact in the community you will be working in. The Staff is enthusiastic and supportive, they will make you feel welcome the moment you meet them and you will simply have a wonderful time. You will come home not only with the best memories but also with many friends coming from all over the world, filled with happiness and appreciation for life. I am so glad and thankful for all the experiences I was able to make during my four weeks in Cape Town and would definitely come back again!

Orphanage project

I find it beautiful how you can have an connection with children without speaking there language. It doesn't make a different for them. You are a special person for them, because you spend time with them.

African Impact OVC

African Impact Cape Town has been an amazing experience! The staff is friendly and welcoming. Living conditions exceeded my expectations and the food was great! I was always excited to go to project and will miss everything about the project very much.

April Harrington's volunteer experience

My experience with African Impact in Cape Town was nothing that I had expected but so much more. The staff is absolutely amazing and make you feel at home almost immediately. They do an amazing job at giving you true insight into the communities in which we volunteer and because of this you know you are truly making an impact on each project. The location allows you to explore Cape Town in a unique way that is only possible through this experience. I couldn't be more grateful for my three weeks in the volunteer house!

Amazing program

Great program for anyone looking to make a meaningful impact in the local communities of Cape Town, learn life-long lessons and enjoy all that this beautiful city has to offer. Living conditions exceeded expectations and the varying length of stays allows volunteers to cater to their own needs as well as meet many new people along the way. Everyone who volunteers with or works for African Impact loves the work they do. I will definitely be coming back!