Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Support - Cape Town

Cape Town volunteering

Cape Town is an amazing city. You live in a student area between the township and the city center, so we were very happy about the area. The house we lived in was good enough but it didn't have the capacity for the amount of people who stayed there at some points. We missed more showers, hot water, more toilets, more seating places and so on. The food quality was poor taking into consideration the amount of money we payed for our stay, and we had troubles with the volunteers getting sick. Khayelitsha, where I worked, was an exciting place and the project areas was good. We had several different projects which made our days unique. The only minus was the fact that we spent an hour driving people to projects in the morning and even more time picking and dropping people off for lunch and back to the house. The lockout, where we stayed 1.5 hours for lunch tuesday-thursday, was just an empty cafeteria and we were sad that we wasted so much time there every week. Also a little bit sad that there were so many rules against cuddling with the children, having them on our lap and taking photos of the kids. But when that's said, I still had the time of my life in beautiful Cape Town, meeting great people from all around the world and getting to see the cutest children develop during our stay.

Volunteering at African Impact in Cape Town

I had an amazing time volunteering in Cape Town. Cape town is an incredible city with lots of opportunities to do fun stuff. The lion house is situated in Observatory, a place with lots of bars and good restaurants. Observatory is also just a short car drive from Cape town city center. All the staff members at African Impact are very friendly and welcoming, and take good care of you from day one. They offer a lot of different projects and that definitely makes every day interesting, The projects are very good and I enjoyed every second out on project with the children.It was a wonderful feeling to see how much the children enjoyed our company and how much they learned. On the other hand we used a lot of time in the car driving to projects, and I did not feel that we had the opportunity to do what we wanted with the children. Many of the activities were already planned by the staff, and we did not have a lot of freedom around planning. It is an amazing experience to live in a house with so many volunteers and everyone becomes a big family, but at some point in my stay i felt that they did not have the capacity for the amount of volunteers staying, for example not enough hot water, to few showers and toilets, bad internet even though we pay for it and not enough sitting places to eat dinner etc.

Eye-opening

My time at Cape Town with African Impact was amazing! The children are so grateful for us being here for them. Their smiles and their laughs is what I have looked forward to every morning. The children seem so humble, all they need is hugs and love to be happy. Working in the communities was an eye-opening experience for me. The people living in these communities work so incredibly hard for their family. I wish I could do more for them, seeing what they live in and what they go through each day. It is definitely shocking at first, but you soon understand that this is the life they grew up with and know. The caregivers for the children who work 12+ hours a day are extraordinary! These children need a lot of attention and each of us need to have tons of energy in order to keep up with them. The caregivers/grandmothers who spend their time for the children are truly amazing and wonderful people. I will miss them. The staff and volunteers welcome you like you have known them for years! Right away I became friends with everyone in the house. Everyone is so friendly and will never leave you behind. This experience has changed my life for the better. I see the wold in a completely different light.

A life enhancing three weeks with African Impact!

Well where do I start..

I flew out to Cape Town as a guy who had traveled alot beforehand, has an okay job at home and an amazing group of family and friends behind me, However there has always been something missing and I never knew what it actually was until I arrived in Cape Town, from the second I was met by Vicky with her smiley bouncy attitude at Cape Town International Airport until this very moment 3 days before my departure, I have felt part of a family and created life-long friendships, this is majorly down to the staff as well as the volunteers at Lionhouse.

I beg anyone who wants to volunteer/travel alone for whatever reason or just make a difference in a place where you can clearly see the work your doing IS making a difference to come to Cape Town with African Impact.

Working with African Impact In Cape Town is a chance to work in an amazing city as well as helping to be a key part in the ongoing work in creating a 'New South Africa' that is beneficial to every single citizen in this outstanding country,

Giving the children of Africa a chance at happiness

Volunteering at African Impact is a life changing experience. i enjoyed working at the projects and watching the children skills improve, while also having fun as well. creating the activities for the children and seeing that they worked well was also extremely rewarding. However leaving the house I do worry that the hard work I've put in may not continue, but I have total faith in the African Impact team to not let that happen.

Amy Thomas' review

It has been the best 3 weeks of my life. African Impact have worked so hard to put in place such an amazing programme. From accommodation, the projects, to giving you in great detail whats expected and why we do it. The materials we have to use with the children is brilliant, and everyone here can feel involved and all play different roles in the project. I did not know what to expect when I came here, as its my first time travelling but I have been outstanded. I would say if you come for only 2/3 weeks, and wanted to explore the city more during the day it is hard due to activities are only on weekend. But the activities i have done were excellent, and personally I feel as if i have made 100% of my trip and have managed to do everything Ive wanted. Its been such a life experience and i would recommended to anyone. THANK YOU AFRICAN IMPACT!

An incredible experience that you will never forget!

My time in Cape Town with African impact will forever stay in my heart and mind as one of the best times I ever had. I am sad it is ending, but happy to return home with so many more memories. If you are looking for a life changing experience with great people go volunteer with African Impact! Thank you so much for making every day a special one.

African Impact review

Ammmmmaaaaaazing experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone that would like to volunteer! You could not choose a better organization. African Impact is sustainable, empowering and you will make a real impact in the community you will be working in. The Staff is enthusiastic and supportive, they will make you feel welcome the moment you meet them and you will simply have a wonderful time. You will come home not only with the best memories but also with many friends coming from all over the world, filled with happiness and appreciation for life. I am so glad and thankful for all the experiences I was able to make during my four weeks in Cape Town and would definitely come back again!

Orphanage project

I find it beautiful how you can have an connection with children without speaking there language. It doesn't make a different for them. You are a special person for them, because you spend time with them.

African Impact OVC

African Impact Cape Town has been an amazing experience! The staff is friendly and welcoming. Living conditions exceeded my expectations and the food was great! I was always excited to go to project and will miss everything about the project very much.

April Harrington's volunteer experience

My experience with African Impact in Cape Town was nothing that I had expected but so much more. The staff is absolutely amazing and make you feel at home almost immediately. They do an amazing job at giving you true insight into the communities in which we volunteer and because of this you know you are truly making an impact on each project. The location allows you to explore Cape Town in a unique way that is only possible through this experience. I couldn't be more grateful for my three weeks in the volunteer house!

Amazing program

Great program for anyone looking to make a meaningful impact in the local communities of Cape Town, learn life-long lessons and enjoy all that this beautiful city has to offer. Living conditions exceeded expectations and the varying length of stays allows volunteers to cater to their own needs as well as meet many new people along the way. Everyone who volunteers with or works for African Impact loves the work they do. I will definitely be coming back!

This trip was the best thing that has happened to me, genuinely. I will most definitely be back!

Coming on this project changed me probably more than it helped the kids. It was the most rewarding thing I could have ever done for myself. I would recommend this to everyone. I have loved it here!!!!

South Africa project experience!

I had an absolutely amazing 2 weeks with the program and getting an opportunity to volunteer with the children. Along with that I also had a great experience getting to know all of the volunteers who were in the same boat as me! Starting this project i came into it not having an idea of what i was getting myself into, and i can tell you that I have not one bad thing to say about this program. My experience is one for the books.

Why volunteering in Cape Town changed my life

Although only here for two weeks, I was able to feel like I had a lasting impact on the children I encountered. The poverty I have been exposed to for the past two weeks coupled with the happiness of the children really opened my eyes to what it means to be grateful for what you have. The gratitude the children showed when we'd get off the bus with toys and games in our hand made me so happy because they were thrilled with whatever we would play with them. I learned so much from playing with the children and was astounded by their lack of complaints because I have worked with children for many years in America and I was used to having to revise a project or game to make everyone happy. I loved the activities we were able to participate in on the weekends such as climbing Table Mountain and going on an African Safari-- I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do that! Cape Town has so much to offer and experiencing this trip with the other amazing volunteers will forever impact me. I consider myself the luckiest person on the planet to have been able to meet such amazing role models, volunteers, selfless teachers and caregivers, and most importantly, children in the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Coming here really put things into perspective for me and encouraged me to do some self-reflecting as well as thanking God for all He has done for me.

Lovely lion house

It was such a great experience. You have lots of responsibility and you will plan the week at the project. It is amazing and every day with the kids will make you happy. You will feel home at the volunteer house. It is like a family here. It is so great.

Ana's African adventure

My African Impact trip was totally different to what I expected it to be, but in the best way possible. The projects I had the opportunity to volunteer on were amazing. I can't put into words just how amazing the Grannies and Mama's are, you just have to come and visit to see them for yourselves.

Africken loved it!

Staying here for three months has been nothing but a joy and honor. The staff are so great and the kids are so lovely. I really felt at home here and really saw the impact I made on the kids I worked with through the OVC project. Wonderfully beautiful stay here!

The Most Amazing Experience

If your heart is full and you want to help in a country that is both beautiful and in need of help there is no better place to go besides Capetown...it has changed my life and I would highly recommend it.

Amazing two weeks in Cape Town!!

I had the most amazing time on the Orphan and Vulnerable Care Project in Cape Town. I met loads of lovely people, learnt so much and got to see this beautiful city. The staff were really welcoming and friendly which made it easier for the group to get on well together and were really motivating at the projects.

My experience as a volunteer at African Impact

I was a volunteer in African Impact OVC program for 8 weeks. Before my flight to Cape Town I was so scared to go to live at a foreign country with people from all over the world that speak different languages (especially because English is not my first language). When I got to the volunteer house I met all the staff members and the volunteers and they all were so welcoming and kind, I immediately understood that I’m in a good place and all my fears disappeared.
The 8 weeks I spent at the volunteer house were so incredible, I got to meet so many amazing people and to do awesome attraction on the weekends (like safari and skydiving) that the staff members helped us to book. Moreover, I was so impress by African Impact ability to provide me vegan food according to my request.
The best part was the project itself- meeting the kids and getting to know them. I enjoyed so much of spending time with the kids, and to learn from them about their culture. I was so amazed to see the progress that the kids made at the short period of time I have been there.
I can say without a doubt that my time as a volunteer in African Impact was one of the most special experience in my life.

25 years on after the end of Apartheid

After living in South Africa during the 80"s i witnessed a lot of unrest and saw young children begging at shopping malls. However during my stay in Observatory where the Africa Impact house is i did not see evidence of this because, now they are at schools. Some of the schools that i volunteered at still need urgent help with basic needs such as: sanitation in the toilets, dining areas. sporting coaches, overloaded classrooms is just some of them, but i have notice a big improvement and these schools are working hard to keep improving through donations of organisations throughout the world. I was so happy to see the children getting this type of help. These children are part of South Africa's future and growth and they need all the help they can get. For me i experienced the hard work that is done by the Mama"s and teachers in striving and making improvements for these schools and i was so happy to have experienced this journey with them.

4 weeks in the heart of the community

I arrived in South Africa on January 9th, both scared and excited about the next 4 months I would spend in the country. On my first day I was introduced to all the lovely people already here to volunteer. My programme (OVC) was split between three locations within Khayelitsha; an emergency care home 5 days a week, a teen after care program twice a week, and GAPA - Grandmothers Against Poverty and Aids - twice a week. The work was absolutely and completely rewarding. At my main project I got to witness a boys first steps and I saw a child's face completely transformed by a smile! Being one of the youngest volunteers here during my stay - only 17 years old! - I felt that I had a different insight than our older volunteers who ranged from 20 to 60 years old. My experience with African Impact has been the best 4 weeks of my entire life and i can't wait to return to both Africa and African Impact.

Volunteer experience

An exciting experience! Connecting an live together with amazing people from all over the world, And most of all, have the opportunity to contribute to joy and happiness for orphans and vulnerable children.

Volunteer work

I had the best time of my life in South Africa and also on the projects.
I learned a lot about the kids but also about myself.
I recommend this to everybody! If you can, do it!
I really hope that I can come back.