Orphan Day Care and Community Support in Zululand
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Orphan Day Care and Community Support in Zululand

DO YOUR RESEARCH - voluntourism

South Africa, Zululand, St. Lucia - this place was an absolutely dream!! Hippos in your backyard and the ocean in the front. The surrounding communities that I worked in were so welcoming, and I was so blessed to stay for 3 months to be able to create close relationships and connections with the people we served, healthcare workers, and the people in St. Lucia. However, it breaks my heart to see what African Impact is doing there. African Impact is a voluntourism organization - they are a for-profit BUSINESS. When I arrived, I expected to be working in an orphanage and an HIV/AIDS program - both of these projects are nonexistent. If for some reason African Impact were to lose funding for St. Lucia, not one of their programs would remain. AI targets individuals who are interested in helping and travelling, they send completely unqualified individuals out into vulnerable communities and make them think that they are making a positive impact. Then, they book you for your tours and safaris for the weekend and send you on your way in a few weeks. Not to mention, they overcharge for the tours and who knows what the extra money is going towards. I worked so hard to try and change things in my 12 weeks and it breaks my heart knowing that the things I did are probably no longer being done. My advice to anyone who is interested in volunteering is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Find an organization that fits into your values and morals, along with a project that best suites your talents. It's all about intentions and African Impact's intention is to make $$. My time in St. Lucia was absolutely amazing, I learned so much about myself and others, but all that credit goes to the relationships I made along the way!

Creche support and education program - St Lucia

Overall fantastic experience and would definitely consider going on another project with AI! Made some awesome friends and was nice to help were i could. i would recommend to anyone - it has taught me a lot about the world we live in the about myself.

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 3:54 AM

Hey Taro. Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your time on project. Any tips as to how we can improve the day-to-day life? Please send us an email at marketing@africanimpact.com.

Great charity to join

My experience with African Impact was extremely positive.
The organisation's communications ahead of my arrival in Cape Town to work on an Early Childhood Development project was efficient, and provided all of the required information ahead of time.
A detailed induction process then provided helpful information about how it was best to live and work in Cape Town. Volunteer safety was continuously promoted by the local team, so volunteers of all ages were able to enjoy the experiences on offer without any fears.
An African Impact representative joined us daily whilst out on projects, and provided helpful support, though also allowed the volunteers to take ownership of their work. Working days were action-packed and included spending some lunchtimes out in the community where we were working, which gave volunteers a good understanding of local life.
Basing volunteers in a single house allowed the group to integrate and develop friendships with like-minded people. Using such a living arrangement is a strength of African Impact, and means that first-time travellers/volunteers should feel encouraged to join up.
Overall, I would recommend choosing African Impact when looking to volunteer in Africa.

St Lucia education project Jan 2018

Africa Impact provide a very well organised volunteer experience. The staff and zulu ladies are amazing and very helpful. I have loved spending time with the children of the communities and have loads of amazing memories to take away with me.

St. Lucia medical volunteer

The medical experience was wonderful. I enjoyed the home based care tremendously. The only reason I did not rank it higher is because during my stay, one car was out of commission for the entire three weeks and we had to carpool with the community education volunteers and staff, which took a great deal of time away from home based care. We wasted so much time with just transportation. I enjoyed the support groups very much.

St. Lucia education

Each day was very different, much variation. I liked everything we did, but I liked the reading club and orphanage the most. It was with older children so you could communicate well with them. It was an amazing experience!

Zululand volunteering

African impact in St Lucia was the best volunteering experience I have had, interacting with the locals, learning their culture and seeing how far charity donations help the kids we were working with

Wonderful work and wonderful people

My 5 weeks and St Lucia were wonderful - I loved the work we did in the communities every day and the ability of volunteers to take the lead right away. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and I do feel like I became part of a family.

Great fun

Incredible experience.So much fun, great way to give back to people in need and have fun at the same time.Everyones very friendly and welcoming and will be happy to hear your thoughts on ye programme and any changes they need to make.Great activities to do during the weekend. Loved the VC Tiarna, great fun.

Helpful and practical

Throughout the stay everyone involved on coordinating the meals, accommodation, activities outside volunteering hours and every activity was great. I had no problem getting familiar with the working schedule and the town thanks to Valerie, Kate, ladies who helped with the house and other coordinators. Thanks so much for making out stay worth it:)

Volunteering in the communities outside of St. Lucia

Volunteering in St. Lucia was interesting.
You live in a small town, where there is only one interesting street.
The Communities are lovely and really friendly.
But because you don't live in the community there is not that full connection.
The projects are amazing and the staff is friendly and really helpful.
And there are the local staff who are the most beautiful, lovely and amazing woman.

St. Lucia, South Africa-orphan daycare project review

I spent two amazing weeks in St. Lucia doing the Orphan Daycare Project. I had the best time working with kids every day and getting involved in the community. The town of St. Lucia is such a nice, small town with stores, restaurants and more all within a 10 minute walk. The staff and other volunteers were so sweet, and I had such a fun time with all of them. I did the minimum of two weeks and wish I could've stayed longer, it goes by so fast! I have had such an amazing experience from this trip and have become great friends with other volunteers from all over the world. Our living situation was nice, and the housekeeping ladies were so nice and friendly. On weekends we were free to do what we wanted which included walking through town, going to the beautiful beach (30 minute walk), going on a Day Game Drive and Night Game Drive (highly recommend both!) and more. Working with the kids on projects was such a fun and humbling experience and the people in the Zulu community are so kind, genuine, and truly happy. I loved going to the cresche's (preschools) every morning and working with the kids, it was so much fun teaching them the ABC's, counting and doing fun activities and games. In the afternoon we got to work with older kids in the orphanage and also go to schools and have reading club, where we helped kids work on their English. The kids are so eager to learn and you truly feel like you're making an impact on them, when in the end they had the biggest impact on me. I would highly recommend doing this project, or something like this and I would easily do it all over again and hope to do more in the future!

If you're planning on volunteering in Africa, you have to go with African Impact

An absolutely amazing experience. The most important factor for me in choosing African Impact is because of their goals. They constantly strive towards having sustainable goals that are focused on the direct needs of the communities. By closely working with members of the community to help develop programs that will help be beneficial to the communities long term, the projects and work that we as volunteers are doing feels so much more important and as if we are truly making a difference for these wonderful people. On top of that, the work is fun to be a part of, the other volunteers were all wonderful people to hang out with, and the overall experience was truly life changing.

Amazing time of my life

St Lucia is a great location, the town is fantastic and the projects are so worthwhile. The children are so giving and loving. They are in so much need of our support & their enthusiasm is hear warming. The staff on the project are great and the zulu ladies are amazing.
I would like to have had more work to do in the community each day and would have been happy to work at the weekends. Its a pity we can't go in to the community on our own but understand the reasons why we can't.
I'd love to come back and spend more time with the children and look forward to watching the projects come to life over the next 12 months.

Project

I love the project. The people are so nice and everybody is really friendly. They are so happy to have us here and really grateful of what we are doing. But I still think that we can do a lot more for them.

Need to be updated

St. Lucia education program does first of all have a wrong title. I was told before | got here that I will be teaching the community and the children about AIDS and HIV throughout my whole stay it was not one day I went on project I spoke about that. My mornings were filed with teaching children the ABC and 123 and the afternoons I did gardening and none of this was what I signed up for. I applied to this program because I thought I would educate the community about the disease taking several lives inside I went to daycare and looked after children. I think they need to updated their page and sell this program for what it is instead of making people have different expectation.

• African Impact responded to this review March 17, 2017 at 5:42 AM

Hello Gursharan,

I am sorry to learn that our project did not quite meet your expectations.

It is unfortunate that we did not have any scheduled HIV courses during your recent volunteer experience, but our programs are very much worked in conjunction with the local community’s needs.

Our Education project is multi-faceted, covering educational needs across the whole community including pre-school and after-school clubs and frequently changes depending on the community requirements. We do try to accommodate the full spectrum of activities but this is not always possible.

We have taken your comments on board and are working harder now to ensure that we provide more relevant information of the different aspects of our Education programs to our partners and the St Lucia team is striving towards having a more sustainable approach to the HIV Awareness portion of project life.

Well organized organization

My 6 week experience as a volunteer was good. Unfortunately many comments were simply ignored, especially comments about projects or the wish not to go to one project again.
The food is unhealthy and simple. Some of the breakfast items run out after a few days and the next days you have only toast or cornflakes. Summarized the food was ok.
African Impact as a organization is well organized and provides a lot of information before you start your trip.

Awesome Internship at St Lucia

I think that having an internship at St Lucia is an interesting and unique experience. Since the village is so small, you get to know locals quite well and you start feeling at home within days. St Lucia and its surroundings are beautiful, and working with the community was amazing, and you can really feel like you've made an impact in the couple of weeks that you've spent there.

Overall review

I have had a wonderful time volunteering for AI. I think everything is very well organised and the work we do in the communities is very worthwhile. The staff at AI were all very helpful and I felt safe at all times.

Kat in Africa

My experience has been amazing out here! I would recommend it to anyone! I was quite apprehensive and nervous going somewhere out my comfort zone but i feel its made me more confident and appreciative.

T.I.A

I found this experience really an eye-opening experience, even though I travelled a lot already. Everyone has been so amazing here. Right from the beginning we had huge laughs which made me feel really comfortable with the persons who surrounded me. Normally I feel homesick real quick but I didn't had that experience. Thanks so much to the staff from St Lucia. I could call it my home for 6 weeks.

My week in St Lucia

An amazing experience to see more AI projects. Good to see the differences. Would love to see more AI projects in the future.

Amazing time with amazing people!

The work African Impact is doing is so amazing! The community is very grateful what makes it even better. The staff members are so sweet and do everything to make your time useful and fun! Met some nice people.

My experience

The experience was absolutely outstanding and it was nice to bond no juts with the volunteers but also with the staff - true sisters.

Safe and sound in my one away from home

This is by far one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. I bonded with my fellow volunteers and the community and i would highly recommend this trip to anyone who loves to travel and wants to make a difference.