Day Care and Community Support in Zululand
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Day Care and Community Support in Zululand

Thank you!

This has been a fabulous experience for my daughter and myself. Not without challenges for her, but the challenges were personal and well worth the fabulous experiences overall The staff were all extremely helpful, available, friendly and engaging with pertinent information about the culture of the villages we interacted with as well as the history of the area and the goals and the means by which African Impact achieves them. The staff from within the community (Khula) are warm and wonderful and truly made us feel at home and so taken care of...especially when my daughter could use the extra love and inspiration.
The team works so well together. Everything is clear and covered,

Life changing experience!

I came to South Africa with and expectation of an amazing trip to meet amazing people and this trip has exceded all of my expectations. The people are the nicest you will ever meet, the food is incredible, the town is astounding, the sunsets and sunrises (if you wake up early enough to see them) are jaw dropping. The experience has really changed my whole perspective on life. The thing that captures you are the people, I have been working on the education programme and the kids are the funniest most lovely children you will ever meet. I've gotten so used to being called 'maloumi' that its going to be weird going back home to Matt. I couldn't recommend this trip enough. I volunteered for 2 weeks and it was so not enough, you could do 2 months and still feel like you need more time. You become fully immersed in Zulu culture and I would volunteer again with African Impact in a heart beat.

Excellent

My experience with A.I in St Lucia was absolutely amazing, I could not have asked for anything more in both terms of work and living. The work done by the staff and volunteers is phenomenel and is having such a great impact on the community.

African Impact

I have experienced a wealth of kindness and welcome in a place which has been rid with poverty. I have found the children here to be so happy despite some of their circumstances. They are also very kind and have good values in sharing and genuinely care for eachother.

Great experience

Thoroughly enjoyed my time on the project, great life experience and would recommend to anyone.
Not only did I learn things about myself but I learned things about the lives of those who are less fortunate which has opened my eyes.

My time here

M time here was some wonderful. the people are so kind the kids are always happy. i will never forget the time i had here. south Africa will always have a place in my heart. when i get home i will tell all of my friends and family.

Jos 2 months in St-Lucia

I stay 2 months here. it was a very great experience. I learn so much. I learn about people and about myself. I learn how to trust myself and trust my English who is not my language.
I discovered my gift for language. ( thank you Lindsay and Stef)

African Impact- St Lucia

I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in St Lucia on the education project. The children put a smile on my face everyday, and being at the same creche for 4 weeks meant we got a chance to know them personally and watch them progress in our lessons. Teaching English as a first language speaker was a challenge but was so rewarding to see the children responding to the lessons. I felt very appreciated by the community and loved learning a small amount of Zulu and about the culture. The AI staff and local staff were amazing, and St Lucia is a wonderful place to stay. I had the best time :)

AI

I enjoyed living with the other volunteers because it gave me the ability to learn about their cultures while I was also learning about Zulu culture. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful. I loved working on the projects I was assigned to and deepening my understanding of the communities we worked in. I also really appreciate how AI is dedicated to helping them become self sustaining instead of just doing tasks for the communities and families.

Two weeks in St. Lucia

This past two weeks have definitely been amazing. Everyone was very welcoming since the second we got here. All the people that work for African Impact are caring and very hospitable. It was life changing, and recommend it to everyone that wants to help. At the end of the day those children teach on life lessons. They are so loving! As of the other volunteers, we had a great group of girls from different countries and ages!

A life changing experience

An amazing experience that I will never forget.The children are so wonderful and please to have you in their school. Their smiles light up the room and steal your heart. They hang on your every word and just want to please you.

Creche support and education program - St Lucia

Overall fantastic experience and would definitely consider going on another project with AI! Made some awesome friends and was nice to help were i could. i would recommend to anyone - it has taught me a lot about the world we live in the about myself.

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 3:54 AM

Hey Taro. Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your time on project. Any tips as to how we can improve the day-to-day life? Please send us an email at marketing@africanimpact.com.

Great charity to join

My experience with African Impact was extremely positive.
The organisation's communications ahead of my arrival in Cape Town to work on an Early Childhood Development project was efficient, and provided all of the required information ahead of time.
A detailed induction process then provided helpful information about how it was best to live and work in Cape Town. Volunteer safety was continuously promoted by the local team, so volunteers of all ages were able to enjoy the experiences on offer without any fears.
An African Impact representative joined us daily whilst out on projects, and provided helpful support, though also allowed the volunteers to take ownership of their work. Working days were action-packed and included spending some lunchtimes out in the community where we were working, which gave volunteers a good understanding of local life.
Basing volunteers in a single house allowed the group to integrate and develop friendships with like-minded people. Using such a living arrangement is a strength of African Impact, and means that first-time travellers/volunteers should feel encouraged to join up.
Overall, I would recommend choosing African Impact when looking to volunteer in Africa.

St Lucia education project Jan 2018

Africa Impact provide a very well organised volunteer experience. The staff and zulu ladies are amazing and very helpful. I have loved spending time with the children of the communities and have loads of amazing memories to take away with me.

St. Lucia education

Each day was very different, much variation. I liked everything we did, but I liked the reading club and orphanage the most. It was with older children so you could communicate well with them. It was an amazing experience!

Zululand volunteering

African impact in St Lucia was the best volunteering experience I have had, interacting with the locals, learning their culture and seeing how far charity donations help the kids we were working with

Wonderful work and wonderful people

My 5 weeks and St Lucia were wonderful - I loved the work we did in the communities every day and the ability of volunteers to take the lead right away. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and I do feel like I became part of a family.

Great fun

Incredible experience.So much fun, great way to give back to people in need and have fun at the same time.Everyones very friendly and welcoming and will be happy to hear your thoughts on ye programme and any changes they need to make.Great activities to do during the weekend. Loved the VC Tiarna, great fun.

Helpful and practical

Throughout the stay everyone involved on coordinating the meals, accommodation, activities outside volunteering hours and every activity was great. I had no problem getting familiar with the working schedule and the town thanks to Valerie, Kate, ladies who helped with the house and other coordinators. Thanks so much for making out stay worth it:)

If you're planning on volunteering in Africa, you have to go with African Impact

An absolutely amazing experience. The most important factor for me in choosing African Impact is because of their goals. They constantly strive towards having sustainable goals that are focused on the direct needs of the communities. By closely working with members of the community to help develop programs that will help be beneficial to the communities long term, the projects and work that we as volunteers are doing feels so much more important and as if we are truly making a difference for these wonderful people. On top of that, the work is fun to be a part of, the other volunteers were all wonderful people to hang out with, and the overall experience was truly life changing.

Amazing time of my life

St Lucia is a great location, the town is fantastic and the projects are so worthwhile. The children are so giving and loving. They are in so much need of our support & their enthusiasm is hear warming. The staff on the project are great and the zulu ladies are amazing.
I would like to have had more work to do in the community each day and would have been happy to work at the weekends. Its a pity we can't go in to the community on our own but understand the reasons why we can't.
I'd love to come back and spend more time with the children and look forward to watching the projects come to life over the next 12 months.

Project

I love the project. The people are so nice and everybody is really friendly. They are so happy to have us here and really grateful of what we are doing. But I still think that we can do a lot more for them.

Need to be updated

St. Lucia education program does first of all have a wrong title. I was told before | got here that I will be teaching the community and the children about AIDS and HIV throughout my whole stay it was not one day I went on project I spoke about that. My mornings were filed with teaching children the ABC and 123 and the afternoons I did gardening and none of this was what I signed up for. I applied to this program because I thought I would educate the community about the disease taking several lives inside I went to daycare and looked after children. I think they need to updated their page and sell this program for what it is instead of making people have different expectation.

• African Impact responded to this review March 17, 2017 at 5:42 AM

Hello Gursharan,

I am sorry to learn that our project did not quite meet your expectations.

It is unfortunate that we did not have any scheduled HIV courses during your recent volunteer experience, but our programs are very much worked in conjunction with the local community’s needs.

Our Education project is multi-faceted, covering educational needs across the whole community including pre-school and after-school clubs and frequently changes depending on the community requirements. We do try to accommodate the full spectrum of activities but this is not always possible.

We have taken your comments on board and are working harder now to ensure that we provide more relevant information of the different aspects of our Education programs to our partners and the St Lucia team is striving towards having a more sustainable approach to the HIV Awareness portion of project life.

Well organized organization

My 6 week experience as a volunteer was good. Unfortunately many comments were simply ignored, especially comments about projects or the wish not to go to one project again.
The food is unhealthy and simple. Some of the breakfast items run out after a few days and the next days you have only toast or cornflakes. Summarized the food was ok.
African Impact as a organization is well organized and provides a lot of information before you start your trip.

Overall review

I have had a wonderful time volunteering for AI. I think everything is very well organised and the work we do in the communities is very worthwhile. The staff at AI were all very helpful and I felt safe at all times.