Orphan Day Care and Community Support in Zululand
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Orphan Day Care and Community Support in Zululand

Zululand volunteering

African impact in st Lucia was the best volunteering experience I have had, interacting with the locals, learning their culture and seeing how far charity donations help the kids we were working with

Olivia

Incredible experience.So much fun, great way to give back to people in need and have fun at the same time.Everyones very friendly and welcoming and will be happy to hear your thoughts on ye programme and any changes they need to make.Great activities to do during the weekend. Loved the VC Tiarna, great fun.

St. Lucia, South Africa-orphan daycare project review

I spent two amazing weeks in St. Lucia doing the Orphan Daycare Project. I had the best time working with kids every day and getting involved in the community. The town of St. Lucia is such a nice, small town with stores, restaurants and more all within a 10 minute walk. The staff and other volunteers were so sweet, and I had such a fun time with all of them. I did the minimum of two weeks and wish I could've stayed longer, it goes by so fast! I have had such an amazing experience from this trip and have become great friends with other volunteers from all over the world. Our living situation was nice, and the housekeeping ladies were so nice and friendly. On weekends we were free to do what we wanted which included walking through town, going to the beautiful beach (30 minute walk), going on a Day Game Drive and Night Game Drive (highly recommend both!) and more. Working with the kids on projects was such a fun and humbling experience and the people in the Zulu community are so kind, genuine, and truly happy. I loved going to the cresche's (preschools) every morning and working with the kids, it was so much fun teaching them the ABC's, counting and doing fun activities and games. In the afternoon we got to work with older kids in the orphanage and also go to schools and have reading club, where we helped kids work on their English. The kids are so eager to learn and you truly feel like you're making an impact on them, when in the end they had the biggest impact on me. I would highly recommend doing this project, or something like this and I would easily do it all over again and hope to do more in the future!

Awesome Internship at St Lucia

I think that having an internship at St Lucia is an interesting and unique experience. Since the village is so small, you get to know locals quite well and you start feeling at home within days. St Lucia and its surroundings are beautiful, and working with the community was amazing, and you can really feel like you've made an impact in the couple of weeks that you've spent there.

Overall review

I have had a wonderful time volunteering for AI. I think everything is very well organised and the work we do in the communities is very worthwhile. The staff at AI were all very helpful and I felt safe at all times.

Kat in Africa

My experience has been amazing out here! I would recommend it to anyone! I was quite apprehensive and nervous going somewhere out my comfort zone but i feel its made me more confident and appreciative.

Amazing!

Africa Impact is am amazing organisation run by people who truly care about the community that they work in and the volunteers that they work with. Much more a family than a business.

Jameylynn's review

Volunteering in St. Lucia, African Impact has been the best 2 weeks of my life. I've met some amazing people and learned a new language. (Zulu) going to creche and the communities has honestly been a life changing experience I'm glad i was apart of this amazing organisation.

African Impact St Lucia - Education

Thank you to the team at African Impact St Lucia for an unforgettable experience. The education program was really good and it was loads of fun helping out at the creche. I also enjoyed the family empowerment projects as it offered a different experience which was really valuable.

3 Weeks that changed my life...

Having wanted to volunteer for a while but never quite having the courage to do it, I finally took the plunge in May 2013. I came to South Africa with a complete open mind and I was so excited to be travelling by myself to do something good. The 3 weeks that I spent in getting to Durban was slightly nerve racking but as soon as I got through those arrival doors and smiley, happy face was their to greet me, this smiley face was Monique.

The journey to St Lucia was long but the landscape was pretty incredible and made that final part of the journey very enjoyable. As soon as I got to the volunteer house the other volunteers were all there and showed us around the house. I was surprised how nice the volunteer house was as I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from the house but it was comfortable which was exactly what was needed after a long day on projects.

I chose this project because I love children and I wanted to help teach about HIV in the rural areas. And I really wasn't disappointed, the Zulu staff are proud of their communities and really appreciate the volunteers being a part of that while the international staff bring a passion that I just hadn't seen before. I fell in love with Khula Village the moment I stepped into Impumelelo Creche and saw all of the happy and smiling children just wanting a hug or a high five. They absolutely love the volunteers and really enjoyed the lessons that were given each morning from weather, family, clothing or animals. The babies are adorable, one fell asleep on me one lunchtime dribbling all down my dress but just you couldn't be annoyed at her cute little face.

I participated in many other incredible projects from mother's support group, gardening, HIV Education in the local primary school, After School Club and Reading Club.

You cannot underestimate the difference that is made to the communities by this volunteer organisation and its charity counterpart The Happy Africa Foundation. Although I was only in St Lucia for 3 weeks as a volunteer I could see that my time there had helped to achieve the goals of African Impact.

I loved every moment of my volunteering from meeting new people from all around the world, making new friends, learning about a new culture, learning new skills and sharing hugs and smiles with so many people in the local communities.

Sometimes a smile, hug, or kind word is enough to give someone hope and anyone can do this, if you have ever thought of volunteering just do it. You should never look back and think what if!

Volunteer 2013- 8 weeks

Deciding to volunteer with African Impact was the best decision that I could have made last summer. Every part of my experience could not have been better. The staff in St. Lucia is amazing, and they make you feel at home from the second that you arrive. The volunteer coordinators are there 24/7 to answer any questions you have and help with anything you need. The Zulu staff are so fun to be around, and I learned so much from them. The volunteer house is very nice, nicer than I was expecting when I decided to volunteer in South Africa. The town that you live in is perfectly safe, and I never felt unsafe at any point.

Now to the best part - the volunteering. Since I was on the education project, I spent my mornings at the creche (or preschool) teaching and playing with the precious kids. This was so much fun for me, because I was at the same creche for four weeks. By the end of the four weeks, I felt like I really knew all of the kids. I also got to be a part of primary school HIV education, adult english lessons, reading club, after school club, gardening, brick building, and more. For the last three weeks, I got to be involved in the holiday club because the kids were out of school. We basically organized fun activities and games for the kids, so that they would have a safe and fun place to be during their break. This was one of my favorite parts!

Overall, I highly recommend the education project in St. Lucia. I also encourage everyone to look at all the different African Impact locations and projects, as each one is doing great things in the communities that they are working in. When I left St. Lucia, I really feel like I had made a difference by being there. African Impact is very well established and respected by the communities, which is what I loved about it. We were invited to a Zulu wedding and a couple of funerals while I was there, which really shows how much the people respect African Impact. If you have the opportunity, you should definitely go. You won't regret it!

Volunteer from Summer 2012 - 4 weeks

African Impact is a truly wonderful organization! Trust me, I do A LOT of online research and African Impact is number one in my book! While no amount of research can prepare you for your experience volunteering in Africa, African Impact was great at providing all information you could need, and your questions prior to travel.

When I was in St. Lucia, there was a great framework of support from the staff, as well as the other volunteers. We were fed enormously well, had great accommodations, and were a short walk away from town with all amenities, internet, and restaurants. Every weekend, there were opportunities to go on excursions that the staff would coordinate and book for us. I spent a weekend in Mozambique, spent a day on a game drive, held a baby crocodile, went on a cultural experience night, fed elephants and spent a day on a self-guided game drive and relaxed on a beach.

The project itself is well established in St. Lucia. The notion of sustainability, and sustainable growth is key to African Impact, and you can see that focus first hand in the project, from teaching english to preschool age children in the creches, to weeding the community gardens, to teaching an adult literacy class.

The days were split into mornings, lunch break, and afternoons, then dinner, with free and social evenings. On this project, my mornings were either spent teaching basic english lessons/playing in creches or teaching primary school children HIV/AIDS education. The afternoons were varied, depending on the time of year and the current needs of the community. One day we refurbished a playground, made beds another, gardened another, or did games and activities at after school club.

The staff were approachable and open to all ideas, and if you had specific talents or ideas, the staff utilized them to the best of their abilities.

My advice is to go in open minded, and to try everything you possibly can! I honestly had the most amazing time, and can say my experience in St. Lucia affected both my academic and professional aspirations.

Wonderful work and wonderful people

My 5 weeks and St Lucia were wonderful - I loved the work we did in the communities every day and the ability of volunteers to take the lead right away. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and I do feel like I became part of a family.

Volunteering in the communities outside of St. Lucia

Volunteering in St. Lucia was interesting.
You live in a small town, where there is only one interesting street.
The Communities are lovely and really friendly.
But because you don't live in the community there is not that full connection.
The projects are amazing and the staff is friendly and really helpful.
And there are the local staff who are the most beautiful, lovely and amazing woman.

If you're planning on volunteering in Africa, you have to go with African Impact

An absolutely amazing experience. The most important factor for me in choosing African Impact is because of their goals. They constantly strive towards having sustainable goals that are focused on the direct needs of the communities. By closely working with members of the community to help develop programs that will help be beneficial to the communities long term, the projects and work that we as volunteers are doing feels so much more important and as if we are truly making a difference for these wonderful people. On top of that, the work is fun to be a part of, the other volunteers were all wonderful people to hang out with, and the overall experience was truly life changing.

Amazing time of my life

St Lucia is a great location, the town is fantastic and the projects are so worthwhile. The children are so giving and loving. They are in so much need of our support & their enthusiasm is hear warming. The staff on the project are great and the zulu ladies are amazing.
I would like to have had more work to do in the community each day and would have been happy to work at the weekends. Its a pity we can't go in to the community on our own but understand the reasons why we can't.
I'd love to come back and spend more time with the children and look forward to watching the projects come to life over the next 12 months.

Project

I love the project. The people are so nice and everybody is really friendly. They are so happy to have us here and really grateful of what we are doing. But I still think that we can do a lot more for them.

T.I.A

I found this experience really an eye-opening experience, even though I travelled a lot already. Everyone has been so amazing here. Right from the beginning we had huge laughs which made me feel really comfortable with the persons who surrounded me. Normally I feel homesick real quick but I didn't had that experience. Thanks so much to the staff from St Lucia. I could call it my home for 6 weeks.

Amazing time with amazing people!

The work African Impact is doing is so amazing! The community is very grateful what makes it even better. The staff members are so sweet and do everything to make your time useful and fun! Met some nice people.

My experience

The experience was absolutely outstanding and it was nice to bond no juts with the volunteers but also with the staff - true sisters.

Safe and sound in my one away from home

This is by far one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. I bonded with my fellow volunteers and the community and i would highly recommend this trip to anyone who loves to travel and wants to make a difference.

My 3 weeks in Zululand

I loved my three weeks with African Impact. It really felt like a family and the impact on the communities is so large and so positive.

What a wonderful adventure

I have had the most amazing two weeks here with African Impact. The people I have met will keep in contact with for the rest of my life. The food was to die for, and the projects were so incredibly rewarding.

Enjoyed

Enjoyed the majority of the projects, the other volunteers and staff were amazing - I have made some really good friends.

Amazing time I will never forget!

Volunteering for African Impact was my first time volunteering abroad. I didn't know what to expect. I was really nervous about traveling alone. Once I was picked up from the airport all my nerves where gone. The first day you get all the information you need. Communication with the staff was really good. When I was on project I got even more excited. I signed up for Community projects. I helped at creche, after school club, reading club, support group and more. I have had such an amazing time being here! I definitely want to do this again!