Maasai Tribe Empowerment in Moshi, Tanzania
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Maasai Tribe Empowerment in Moshi, Tanzania

Moshi 2018

I had a really amazing time on the Maasai Empowerment project in Moshi. I was teaching English and enjoyed being able to plan and deliver my lessons from the curriculum and felt that African Impact facilitated meaningful learning for all of the students. I was lucky to be volunteering with a really great group of people and outside of project we had lots of fun and planned lots of trips and tours. My favourite part of the trip was a group weekend visit to a maasai village where we were able to take part in lots of traditional activities. Overall I had a great time.

Volunteering with the Maasai

I had an incredible experience volunteering in Moshi and surrounds, not least of all because of the amazing backdrop in Mt. Kilimanjaro. I loved working and spending time with members of the Maasai who are some of the most interesting and extraordinary people I have ever met. Being immersed in such a rich culture was something I will never forget and it is not every day you get to camp in a rural Maasai village, I will keep the memories of my volunteer placement in Moshi for the rest of my life.

Experience of a life time

Signing up with this program I had very little or did not know what to expect. Having been to African several times as well as experience with other volunteer programs before, Tanzania was something else. The program is very well run & organized. All the staffs are so welcoming, accommodating, resourceful and helpful. Any queries or problems they're always quick to answer or help find a solution best they can. A bunch of passionate people who genuinely want to help and contribute.

As a volunteer, not only did I feel like I was helping the Maasai/ locals, but I was learning a whole lot myself. I got to meet and got to know the locals, had a peek into their culture & way of life. It was a very humbling experience where I got to learn the cultural differences and appreciate (even more than before) how simple lives can be happy ones as well. There may not be TV to watch nor was one able to be constantly online with the African internet connection, but we were able to connect with each other/ the people you meet, and there were plenty to do on the weekends in and around town.

I personally think this is a highly recommended program to join. Just go with an open mind, a good attitude and the willingness to learn, then you will have the experience and time of your life. Almost forgot, it IS Africa so don't expect a 5-star hotel environment/ service or a grand buffet, but don't bother thinking you can lose weight either with the good meals (oh, and the coffee) provided by their talented chefs.

Moshi and Maasai

Honestly, the experience I had with African Impact was so much greater than I could have imagined...and I head high hopes and expectations going in. From the people, to the accommodations to the experience as a whole it really hit every part. If you're looking for a truly life changing opportunity, I would recommend Moshi and all that it has to offer.