Horse Management & Hands on Lion Conservation Internship
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Horse Management & Hands on Lion Conservation Internship

An unforgettable experience

My stay at Antelope Park on the Horses & Lions project has been absolutely unforgettable.
It has been fun working with the horses, meeting and working with the lions and experiencing the culture surrounding AP in the nearby villages as well as meeting an befriending other volunteers from all over the world.
Stables has always been fun, even when the work was hard, and it was great to experience how much love and concern there was for the horses - and how much the guests and other volunteers enjoyed it too!
However stables work sometimes made it hard to make time for joining lion activities during the weekends which was a little unfortunate given that was what I had paid for.. But that just leaves more reason to come back as soon as possible!

Over all my stay at Antelope Park has been quite amazing and very unforgettable - the people, the animals, the culture and all the new friendships formed all across the world make it impossible to not want to come back!

My time at Antelope park

My time at Antelope Park has been amazing. I`ve been working at the Horses & Lions program for 8 weeks, mostly just at stables. During my stay I have learned alot, met awesome people, experienced new thing and had the time of my life. I will miss this place, and be forever grateful for my weeks here at Antelope Park.

My stay

When I first arrived I was going to be here for 4 weeks. In those 4 weeks I learned a lot about horses, the country and myself. My stay here have been really good. I liked the days in stables, we did a lot of different things. After 4 weeks I left ap and the plan was not to come back. But I really liked it here so I decided to come back for 3 new weeks. this place is amazing and I don't want to leave.

Best 2 months!

I spent 2 months at Antelope Park with the first 3 weeks on the lion project an then 6 weeks on horses and lions. When you're at AP you learn about the importance of lion conservation in Africa and you get to be hands on with the majestic animals and at the same time make a difference for the lion population in Zimbabwe. At the same time you get to spend time with the parks many horses which really makes the entire experience. You ride out in the bush and get to walk, trot and canter depending on your level. You see the wild animals up close in a way you can only do on horseback. At the same time the project includes a lot of riding lessons meaning I got to improve my riding skills a lot. I jumped, did school work, played polo crosse and even jumped one of the only crosse country courses in Zimbabwe! Overall a great experience and I'd do it all again.

3 weeks

My time at AP was filled with unforgettable memories I will always cherish. I would recommend that you stay a minimum of three weeks with the availability to extend your time. The time flew by and I wish I had had more. This is a great program for animal lovers but be prepared to work hard so that you can give the most back. Make sure you take advantage of all the once in a lifetime opportunities and perhaps most of all get to know those around you. The people you will meet will be some of the most interesting and incredible people you'll have the change of knowing.

Horse management and lion conservation combination project

As a horses and lions volunteer you spend the majority of your week on horses with your weekends left for trips to town, or the more fun lion activities: walking with lions, walking with elephants, sitting with lion cubs, or feeding the adult lions in the park. This experience in Africa and here at Antelope Park has been one of the most amazing I have ever had, with plenty opportunities to interact with orphaned elephants and lions from different stages of the conservation programme. I would highly recommend this project, or even just the lion project to anyone looking for experience in conservation, wanting to see African wildlife, or just travel the world and wanting to do something meaningful.

Just do it

This place is one of a kind, amazing animal experience but also an incredible experience to meet all the amazing people both volunteers and staff. You have to go and see for your self, just do it!!!!!

Best weeks of my life

I loved every second of my days at Antelope park. I did so many cool and inspiring activities that I loved. I meet many new friends. I would absolutely recommend this to everyone cause it was the best trip I ever done.

Very unique experience!

I love the stay in Antelope Park very much! During the 4 weeks I saw impalas, wildebeests, zebras, giraffes, elephants, lions, kudoos, white rhinos, baboons, owls, pangolin, horses...etc. and had the chance to interact with some of them. As an animal lover, this is such a special and valuable memory.

An amazing place to be a part of!

The past 3 months have consisted of crazy experiences! I have learned so much, had much more responsibility than expected and I have got know so many different and nice people! AP is such an amazing place to be a part of and it is definitely a place I would recommend!

Horses and lions

My stay at the horses and Lions project was fantastic! Memories i never will forget. You will learn so much, and experience things you never would imagined. I have new friends all over the world, and antelope park feels like a second home to me. Will go back as soon as possible!

African adventure

These past two months on the horses and lions project at Antelope Park in Zimbabwe has been one of the best experiences of my life. I am glad i chose the combination program as it allowed me to spend time with the lions, but at the same time experience the African bush in a unique way on horseback. On horseback you get so close to all the different animals the park has to offer.
During these past two months I have met so many new people that I never would have met otherwise. Antelope park brings together so many different people and cultures, which makes it a great place to both experience Africa, and also meet lots of cool people.

Once in a lifetime experience

This trip is the best thing i have done for myself. I have worked whit myself both personally and physically. No doubt the best time in my life so far. I would recommend this you do things you cannot do or work with back home

Horses and lions

5\5 I would really recommend this to everyone who likes animals and are not afraid to get yours hand a little dirty. It is an experience you will never forget trust me. The place, environment and staff was truly good.

Great Experience!

Doing the combination lions and horses project at Antelope Park was a really great decision because I got the best of both worlds. I got to work with horses during the week and then get priority to do the best lion projects on the weekend. The people are great and the projects are exciting.

Horse and lion combined project

Lion project days were interesting and staff were engaging. Initially horse project was unorganized and day-to-day activities were not planned in advance - days did not match the online brochure at all.

A place worth the visit

It was a great experience to be here at Antelope Park, you are able to acquire an amazing amount of inspiration that can be utilized in your daily life or in the future in whatever you next aspire to do.

Best time of my life

This experience was absolutely AMAZING! All the volunteers had the opportunity to experience all the activities that Antelope Park offers, which makes it much better. The camp is a really nice place, and the people that you know here becomes your family during your stay. This project allowed me to know how people work with horses in Antelope Park, and the different activities that they can do with them (safaris, polocrosse,..). I can also say that waking up at 5.30 am it's worth it! The most amazing sun rise of the world is in Zimbabwe for sure. The combination with the Lions project also gave me an incredible opportunity to interact with them more than I expected, and I learned a lot about the lions and the ALERT project to release them into the wildlife.

Feedback

I enjoyed my stay here, and I will take a lot of memories and experiences with me home. A little minus, when you have room at the stable you feel a bit separated from everyone else, so for me I felt I didn't talked as much with the others, than if you live in the volunteer Camp area.

Time of my life

I've had the time of my life in stables at Antelope Park, riding out in the mornings and seeing the sunrise during a canter, galloping in the park and seeing the giraffe. Shaka was a highlight of the days, cub walks is so nice!

Review- Claire

I had a really fantastic time volunteering at the stables. Despite being only a stable volunteer I enjoyed the induction as it allowed me to experience the other projects and join in on community. I enjoyed being given responsibility after a few weeks.

Clares review

I had a really great experience while I was here and got to meet a lot of new people. Everyone was enthusiastic about their jobs and what their duties were, which made it more fun to be involved. The transport situation could have been a bit better., such as having gas prior to leaving or making sure the car was functioning, over overall it was not a problem for me. I thought the amount of food available was nice, but there could have been a more variety throughout the weeks. Everything at Stables was very orderly and nice, which made learning my way around the horses a lot easier! I liked the fact that every two weeks we get a group of new volunteers because it was fun getting to know so many different types of people and from so many countries. This has broadened my horizons by quite a bit. I have many favorite memories here, but one of my top favorites was the "booze cruise" leading into the Saturday night party. Everyone involved had a great time and it was really beautiful watching the sun set in the bush. I would do about ten more of those nights. One of my other favorite memories was the overnight horse safari, I got to participate in that twice. We got to sleep out under the stars while having a fire burning all night and a private chef. Every memory I've made here will be unforgettable and I hope to get a chance to come back!

Awesome place

fantastic place, staff are excellent, amazing experiences, all vols and staffs are really friendly, variation of experiences you couldn't get anywhere else in the world. stay for as long as you can possibly can its well worth it!

Animal paradise

Over my two weeks of placement, I think the thing that has stuck out the most is, strangely enough, the animals. Not, in fact the lions as you might expect (though the ability to walk, interact, and come into close quarters with lions of various ages is an experience that fulfils my childhood dreams) but, in fact, the more mundane animals. Coming to mind is Jackie, the baby donkey who thinks she's human, eats from rubbish bins and follows everyone around, and the various cats constantly on a look-out for a comfy lap, tasty scraps or just a bit of attention. Add to this the mules and horses who wander around (some illicitly) and the sheep who can be found on various bits of lawn and you have a veritable menagerie. Not to mention, of course, all the wild animals. The family of mongooses (mongeese?), the zebra, impala, elephants and giraffes (who seem to think that standing behind a bush is enough to hide their long necks) and all the birds. Antelope Park is a wonderful place to come into contact with nature.

Another area of Antelope Park that really struck me was how friendly everyone was, staff or volunteer. No matter if they had been there for years or only a week, they were always happy to meet and greet. Meal times were great fun, all around a communal table, sharing stories and conversations. In this volunteer placement, I have very much felt part of a community, even though I was only here for a short time.

I have greatly enjoyed my visit and hope to come back soon in the future!

Be ready to be amazed!

My stay at Antelope Park has been one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I thought I was a descend rider when I came here but my time with Ted and all the amazing horses has taking my riding skills to a whole new level. I will never forget this place, all the wonderful people, the staff, the horses and all the experiences. My stay here has exceeded all of my expectations and I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to experience this place. Thank you so much for everything!