Holistic Horse Management Internship in Zimbabwe
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Holistic Horse Management Internship in Zimbabwe

Antelope park

Carrying out a volunteer placement at Antelope park is on if the best things you can ever do. It's so amazing that this was the second time I have been to Antelope park, and will definitely be more occasions in the future. Everyone there is so so friendly and welcoming, that you feel part of the family straight away. You get to experience some amazing things, from riding through the bush as the sun rises, to walking with the lion cubs. No matter what project you do, everyone gets to experience the park for the first few days.

Antelope Park- stables and lion combo project

Volunteering at antelope park has been a truly amazing experience. The whole team is very welcoming and encourage you to make the most out of your time there giving you the opportunity to get involved in aspects of all projects. Everyone is ready help and most importantly up for a laugh!

My stay at the Antelope Park - horse stables

I was at the Antelope park for 3 weeks and it was really a wonderful experience. I met a lot of people from all over the world, walked with lions, with elephants, cooked for the children from the streets, played and teached the children from the orphanage. I worked with 35 horses and was with the guests at the horse safaris, where I saw a lot of animals. I was never a good rider and my confidence was poor, I have to admit, that my riding improved in 3 weeks and I also had riding lessons with an excellent teacher. I also had the opportunity to see wild white rhinos at the Matopos park and I went to the Victoria falls. It was really a life time experience.

Safari stables

I think it was really well run. Each night we had a meeting and discussed what each person would be doing the next day and it was super easy to check the board if you had forgotten anything that you were supposed to do for the next day. The scheduling was very flexible and easy to change if needed. I do think it would have been better if the stables could communicate a bit more with the project manager on what would be going on that day versus just now being told to be at the stables all day and they will tell you what to do from there. Because of this, I missed a few things that I should have been at and was confused the rest of the day on what was happening that day.

Safari stables

The programs here are run very well and I had a blast. We had meetings every night so every volunteer in each project knew exactly what they were doing and at what times each day, however my only complaint was that for stables volunteers, I was told that we would be working at the stables all day but did not get my specific schedule and exactly what we would be doing at stables each day. We were late to a few activities because we didn't have times and our exact schedule for the day. Rosa was great about letting everyone know what they were doing, I just wish that there was a bit more communication, coordination, and planning with the people that run stables so our day could be laid out like everyone else's was at meetings.