Healthcare and Lion Rehabilitation Combo Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Healthcare and Lion Rehabilitation Combo Project

Hedvig's AI experience

I had a great time at Antelope Park. The work we did here was fun and interesting. I love that I got to work at the clinic but still spend so much time with the horses, the lions and the elephants. I especially liked being in stables, helping out and going for a horse safari or a morning roundup. I will be back!

Amazing time volunteering at Antelope Park

It has been nothing short of amazing here! Everything from the grounds, the staff, and the different projects are amazing. I spent time on the lion project, as well as the community/medical project. There is so much help and guidance, so you are never left wondering what you are doing. There are many activities throughout the day, so you are never bored. However, there is time for rest if you'd like! You get to be intimate with the lions and elephants, which is amazing. The coolest thing I have ever done! I would highly suggest this program to anyone and everyone looking for an exciting and amazing time in Africa working closely with animals and/or the community of Zimbabwe.

You can't leave Zimbabwe the same person!

I had an amazing time. The people and staff who I worked with at the Clinic and at the Park were some of the most friendly, polite and genuine people I have ever met. Even the volunteers I have met, have left a lasting impression on me. I have formed new friendships for life. The staff at the Clinic were so appreciative of everything that we helped them with. Whether we were weighing babies, counting tablets in the Pharmacy and packaging it, dressing a newborn baby, hanging out with HIV positive kids and doing an HIV awareness day for them, taking heights, weights and blood pressures of pregnant mothers, supporting a mum during labour complications, working in the outpatient clinic, helping with remedial reading at a school and seeing the little kids light up everytime you walk into their classroom, walking with lion cubs, riding on an elephant's back, kissing a baby donkey, meeting some of the most wonderful elders in the Gweru community who had lost their farms, but have no bitterness or resentment towards anyone, feeding a lonely, isolated elderly woman who had no family taking care of her and seeing the joy in her eyes when she received a small packet of meat - how can you leave Zimbabwe the same if you experience all these wonderful magic moments. I have grown as a person. I will go back. African now has a bigger part of my heart.

My time as a volunteer

My time here in Zimbabwe working as a Volunteer was just outstanding. I got the chance to learn about the African culture, meet their people and make friends with them. Either the people in Antelope Park or in Town, they are all amazing and super friendly. I had the pleasure to meet so many people from all around the world, bonded with awesome personalities and made friends with them. Those people made my stay here in AP even better, we had such a great time, lots of fun and awesome conversations. The projects are really interesting and I loved it to work with the kids and young adults, the gave so much back and they literally warmed up my heart. I hope I made an impact in their lives, just for being here and spend time with them.
I also love the lion project, the cubs are so cute and just awesome, Research in the afternoons was very interesting and i learnt a lot about lions and their behaviour. One of my favourite projects was the Stables project, I got the chance to learn riding in these four weeks I have been here and I learnt a lot about horses and all in all, it was just an great opportunity.

My review

Overall my stay was very good, everyone is very nice her and you get to experience so much. But I wish there were better information online, because you get very mixed information, so you don't know what to expect.

Loved every second

Had an amazing experience working in the community and just generally being at antelope park. Got to take part in so many activities and loved every one of them. The clinic was an interesting learning experience for me and I feel like I helped them in return. I would really love to come back and experience this all again, it is also so great to see the amazing work antelope park is doing with the lions and the local community and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it all. There was nothing I didn't like.

My stay at Antelope park

Staying at Antelope park have been wonderful. The place is beautiful, the staff is great and the other volunteers are great. What really made this whole experience worth it was working in the community. Meeting so many different people in different life situations have really changed my life.

African experience

the experience In africa and particularly this volunteer program is by far one of the most enriching and controversial trips in my life. Due to my young age, I hope there are many more experiences with these characteristics and this level of profound work elaborated. This trip has definitely sparked a drive in me to continue doing more adventurous trips. Volunteering here has made me more conscious and capable in a sense of being more reflective, observant and grateful for the conditions in which i live. I personally thought the volunteer work would contribute to my anger towards the world and its injustice, but now i realize i had that anger due to the fact that I couldnt help much from where I was standing, i felt like i was going in circles. But this trip has definitely given me the tools, the enthusiasm and the guide to be able to be a helping hand to the world.

Time to realize

6 weeks in Antelope Park were just awesome ! I have the impression spending like 3 weeks here ! (Time is running soooo fast) I met so many people who were just so lovely !! So many experiences and there were all different ! ( Lion feeding, saw a delivery, teaching the children in a primary school, helping some guys who are in needs..)

From horse/lion project to community/lion project

I came in the end of March. I loved the wether and the locals/guides in Zimbabwe. My purpose was to do the horse/lion project, but when I fell off a horse I had to do the community/lion project and I loved it. From the beginning till the end was everything clear. Isilyn is very good in explaining!

Suus Tjioe

My stay at Antelope Park has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It has been life changing and rewarding. One of the best things to me was meeting new people around the world and becoming close friends with them. Working so close with lions and elephants is truly an amazing experience. It's amazing to see the improvement on the kids you're working with and it is really nice to bond and play with them.

My stay at AP

Coordination was wonderful. The program was very good. I especially liked the induction days, which gave you a good idea about the several programs they have at Antelope Park.
Mattresses weren't the best (I do like my comfort). But the staff was very accommodating, which made my stay here a wonderful one.