Healthcare and Lion Rehabilitation Combo Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Healthcare and Lion Rehabilitation Combo Project

Antelope park feedback

Overall I had the best experience of my life here at antelope park with African Impact. The staff here are truly amazing and so knowledgeable which really enhances the experience. The work you do here while on project is great because you can physically see your progress so you're able to see that you are making a difference for the community and wildlife. Would highly recommend this whole trip and plan on being back ASAP. Rosa and Jenna are great.

You must visit AP!

The Antelope Park community and lions combo project provides a unique opportunity to interact and engage with both African animals on the majestic Antelope Park game reserve and lion rehabilitation center, as well as connect and give back to the surrounding community through their various community engagement volunteer projects. These projects include spending time teaching and instructing in local schools and orphanages, as well as volunteering in some of the local clinics. Having spent the majority of the my days in the local Mkoba Polyclinic, I am happy to share that each day brought new and exciting opportunities to interact hands-on with the daily routine of clinic. The staff are cheerful and gracious, and the always-active maternity ward is always happy for the help. As for the daily life at Antelope Park, interacting on a daily basis with lions and elephants in training, maintenance, research, or exercise is incredibly rewarding. It truly is an opportunity unlike any other.

Hedvig's AI experience

I had a great time at Antelope Park. The work we did here was fun and interesting. I love that I got to work at the clinic but still spend so much time with the horses, the lions and the elephants. I especially liked being in stables, helping out and going for a horse safari or a morning roundup. I will be back!

Amazing time volunteering at Antelope Park

It has been nothing short of amazing here! Everything from the grounds, the staff, and the different projects are amazing. I spent time on the lion project, as well as the community/medical project. There is so much help and guidance, so you are never left wondering what you are doing. There are many activities throughout the day, so you are never bored. However, there is time for rest if you'd like! You get to be intimate with the lions and elephants, which is amazing. The coolest thing I have ever done! I would highly suggest this program to anyone and everyone looking for an exciting and amazing time in Africa working closely with animals and/or the community of Zimbabwe.

You can't leave Zimbabwe the same person!

I had an amazing time. The people and staff who I worked with at the Clinic and at the Park were some of the most friendly, polite and genuine people I have ever met. Even the volunteers I have met, have left a lasting impression on me. I have formed new friendships for life. The staff at the Clinic were so appreciative of everything that we helped them with. Whether we were weighing babies, counting tablets in the Pharmacy and packaging it, dressing a newborn baby, hanging out with HIV positive kids and doing an HIV awareness day for them, taking heights, weights and blood pressures of pregnant mothers, supporting a mum during labour complications, working in the outpatient clinic, helping with remedial reading at a school and seeing the little kids light up everytime you walk into their classroom, walking with lion cubs, riding on an elephant's back, kissing a baby donkey, meeting some of the most wonderful elders in the Gweru community who had lost their farms, but have no bitterness or resentment towards anyone, feeding a lonely, isolated elderly woman who had no family taking care of her and seeing the joy in her eyes when she received a small packet of meat - how can you leave Zimbabwe the same if you experience all these wonderful magic moments. I have grown as a person. I will go back. African now has a bigger part of my heart.

My time as a volunteer

My time here in Zimbabwe working as a Volunteer was just outstanding. I got the chance to learn about the African culture, meet their people and make friends with them. Either the people in Antelope Park or in Town, they are all amazing and super friendly. I had the pleasure to meet so many people from all around the world, bonded with awesome personalities and made friends with them. Those people made my stay here in AP even better, we had such a great time, lots of fun and awesome conversations. The projects are really interesting and I loved it to work with the kids and young adults, the gave so much back and they literally warmed up my heart. I hope I made an impact in their lives, just for being here and spend time with them.
I also love the lion project, the cubs are so cute and just awesome, Research in the afternoons was very interesting and i learnt a lot about lions and their behaviour. One of my favourite projects was the Stables project, I got the chance to learn riding in these four weeks I have been here and I learnt a lot about horses and all in all, it was just an great opportunity.

My review

Overall my stay was very good, everyone is very nice her and you get to experience so much. But I wish there were better information online, because you get very mixed information, so you don't know what to expect.

Loved every second

Had an amazing experience working in the community and just generally being at antelope park. Got to take part in so many activities and loved every one of them. The clinic was an interesting learning experience for me and I feel like I helped them in return. I would really love to come back and experience this all again, it is also so great to see the amazing work antelope park is doing with the lions and the local community and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it all. There was nothing I didn't like.

My stay at Antelope park

Staying at Antelope park have been wonderful. The place is beautiful, the staff is great and the other volunteers are great. What really made this whole experience worth it was working in the community. Meeting so many different people in different life situations have really changed my life.

African experience

the experience In africa and particularly this volunteer program is by far one of the most enriching and controversial trips in my life. Due to my young age, I hope there are many more experiences with these characteristics and this level of profound work elaborated. This trip has definitely sparked a drive in me to continue doing more adventurous trips. Volunteering here has made me more conscious and capable in a sense of being more reflective, observant and grateful for the conditions in which i live. I personally thought the volunteer work would contribute to my anger towards the world and its injustice, but now i realize i had that anger due to the fact that I couldnt help much from where I was standing, i felt like i was going in circles. But this trip has definitely given me the tools, the enthusiasm and the guide to be able to be a helping hand to the world.

Time to realize

6 weeks in Antelope Park were just awesome ! I have the impression spending like 3 weeks here ! (Time is running soooo fast) I met so many people who were just so lovely !! So many experiences and there were all different ! ( Lion feeding, saw a delivery, teaching the children in a primary school, helping some guys who are in needs..)

From horse/lion project to community/lion project

I came in the end of March. I loved the wether and the locals/guides in Zimbabwe. My purpose was to do the horse/lion project, but when I fell off a horse I had to do the community/lion project and I loved it. From the beginning till the end was everything clear. Isilyn is very good in explaining!

Suus Tjioe

My stay at Antelope Park has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It has been life changing and rewarding. One of the best things to me was meeting new people around the world and becoming close friends with them. Working so close with lions and elephants is truly an amazing experience. It's amazing to see the improvement on the kids you're working with and it is really nice to bond and play with them.

Medical & lions

My overall experience at Antelope park has been great. I have really enjoyed my stay, the staff at both community and lions are just amazing. And of course my roommates and other volunteers, I am sure we will be friends for life. Its quite weird how close you get with people when you spend 24/7 together. For the programs itself I have been mostly on community during the week and on the lions project during weekends. On community you really get to experience the difference in culture, and I feel that I got more from the project they are involved in than the lions project (Witch were good to!) because of two reason: 1. they way people (both staff and locals) welcome you and include you, and how much you learn about them and yourself, 2. you really feel that you contribute to change everyday. This is not to say that the lion project isn't good, but sometimes I felt that there were more people than necessary. with this I mean that for the amount of work we often are so many people that a lot of people are just standing and watching. But still, to walk with lions, elephants and just all the safaris that antelope park organizes is just amazing. One thing witch were my main problem on both projects are the term "African time", witch basically means that people can show up however late they want. I would be fine with 5-15 minutes late, but it quite often that the transport or people are up to an hour late, witch is really annoying when you as a volunteer are always on time. But as I started, overall I really enjoyed my stay and I would come back

• African Impact responded to this review September 01, 2017 at 6:59 AM

Hi Ida,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We understand that the “African Time” issue can be a problem on project. It has been raised with the AP staff, including the handlers and guides, and we are currently discussing ways to minimize this.

We really appreciate your review as we take every feedback into consideration to ensure all of our volunteers have a positive experience.

The African Impact Team

My stay at AP

Coordination was wonderful. The program was very good. I especially liked the induction days, which gave you a good idea about the several programs they have at Antelope Park.
Mattresses weren't the best (I do like my comfort). But the staff was very accommodating, which made my stay here a wonderful one.