Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

My stay at AP

Fantastic stay at Antelope park, Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering Project.!
So many awesome experiences! - and so many friendly people i have met!
Had the best time, that i will never forget!

My stay at AP

I stayed at Antelope Park for three weeks and wish I would have stayed longer! Time fly by so fast. We have walked with both lions and elephants and experienced a lot of cool and exciting stuff. Both the staff and the other voulenteers are great, and I definitely want to come back!

Experience of a lifetime

l had the most wonderful time here. Such a lovely staff and got amazing new friends! It was really great learning about lions and elephants. I highly recommend this to everyone who is interested in wild animals.

Superb volunteer opportunity

If you are reading this I hope it means you are excited to volunteer with African Impact. My experience was outstanding in so many ways. It was not so great in others but overall it gets a big thumbs up. If you keep in mind that this is a volunteer experience and not a luxury vacation than you will be fine. There is definitely a lack of comforts and plans and time schedules change on the fly, but the overall picture is that you are helping out in a great way. I highly recommend adding antelope park to your schedule if you are looking for semi-rustic volunteer experience and are happy with less than perfect accommodations (ie. cold showers) while you are abroad. Make sure you review your program details fully and prepare yourself for the opportunities that await.

My stay in Antelope park

I stayed in Antelope Park for three weeks and it was the most amazing experience I have ever lived. I loved the routine with the animals, both lions and elephants; the work at the reserve, the day to day at the camp. Everything. It was perfect.

My stay at Antelope park

I stayed at antelope park for three weeks, from june 18 to july 9. i absolutely loved it here, i was on the lion project and it was amazing. the people who work here and the people you meet here is so fantastic. it is winter now so it is freezing cold, but i am definitely coming back.

To say it’s amazing isn’t good enough

I had wanted to participate in a lien conservation project for many years but as I search the Internet I never found one that really captured exactly what I wanted to do . African impact (in collaboration with Antelope Park) fit my search criteria online, but you never really know until you get to a particular place.

I was overly pleased with the adventure as a whole. To say it was amazing would not be good enough. This post might be lengthy but I hope it answers a lot of questions for people thinking about signing up for this project.

Signing up : from my initial inquiry throughout the entire process until I arrived at antelope Park was easy. Traveling to a foreign country could sometimes be dangerous and I had lotta questions. I was able to email staff often and would get prompt and timely responses that put me at ease.

Arriving at the airport: I’m a very cautious person and when I ride to the airport I was immediately greeted by friendly staff with a sign (the sign was paper and hand written with a marker but it would’ve been nice to have a more professional sign so I knew I was going with the correct group and it was not some scam ). Luckily there were other travelers that had already been collected by staff so my worry was short-lived.

I traveled into Harare airport and it was a 4 hour drive to antelope Park. If I had to do it again I would have flown into Bulawayo Airport instead, which is a 2 hour drive.

upon arrival we were greeted by Rosa who is the gal that runs the program. She is super cute and friendly and bubbly and very easy to talk to. She provided us all of our accommodations and we gathered for a group meeting shortly there after where we received information for the upcoming day .

We began with walking the baby lion cubs which was one of the best experiences of my life. It’s so amazing to be up and close with animals that I’ve only seen on TV or in a zoo. Being able to watch their behaviors and abilities is A great learning experience. I’m not going to detail every single day my experience but here are some key highlights. We were able to walk the lion cubs often, do elephant walks, and see all the other local animals in the park. We did a horseback ride and saw and held the snakes in the snack room and watched the Monkees come up on the property and steal a pineapple. Besides all the amazing animals, I’m not going to lie we worked very hard. We cleaned lion enclosures and provided the Lions freshwater and did meet preparation for the Lions which was smelly. The heavy buckets of meat had to be carried into the enclosures. It was a very real hands-on experience that I am so happy that I was able to take part in.

In addition to working around the actual park we were able to do multiple excursions that were set up through antelope park which made it easy. There were trips to Victoria Falls, free to be wild in addition to working around the actual park we were able to do multiple excursions that were set up through antelope park which made it easy. There were trips to Victoria Falls, free to be wild ( which is a primate sanctuary with many other types of animals too), A trip to Motopos where you could track and find rhinos with a guide, A night in counter with the adult female lionesses to Watch them in action to catch prey. There is a crazy little donkey that sometimes gets out of the stables and will come to your room, open your door, and demand snacks.

What I loved about this program is that although I was assigned to the lien conservation project, I could venture out and attend other projects if I wanted to. One day I did a stint in the clinic which was very eye-opening. Another day I went to different schools in the area to teach which was also very eye-opening. I liked that I could get various experiences during my stay.

The food and service at the park is good, and the staff are friendly. The lien handlers and elephant handlers are always available to teach you new things about the animals or their behavior which is great because I did not only want to just go see the Lions I wanted to learn about them as well.

The manager of the Lions, Rosa, is always put together and keeps us updated on what is going on throughout the days. She is hands-on and is very knowledgeable about the program and the animals.

Mr. Connolly the owner is a very nice man. He came around often to see how we like the program and to seek any advice on how they could improve. He seem to genuinely care about the Lions, the staff, volunteers, and the park as a whole.

Some websites tell you to bring approximately $200-$250 of spending money. I would say that if you were really interested in seeing all you can see in doing all you can do to bring approximately $500 so you can attend as many excursions as possible.

I would definitely return here someday if I was able to. At 36 years old I was one of the oldest volunteers but I can tell you that I think I enjoyed the experience that much more because of my age and Life experience. So if you are not in your 20s don’t be afraid to participate in something like this because I can’t say it enough it to say it’s amazing does not do it justice.

Third time's lucky

I was on AP for my third time and I still love it. I am sure that wasn't my last time. I love the flexibility you have to choose. Even if you are on the lion project you are still welcome to join the community or stables whenever you want and in that way learn more about the other projects and the culture. You meet people from all over the world and some of them you want to keep in life forever.

My time at AP

My time at AP has been very nice. I have met some great people who really cares about their projects and wants to help out where they can. I believe in the project and hope that it will turn out as planned.

My time at AP

My time at AP on the Lion Project has been nice. I've met a lot of lovely people and have had a bunch of cool experiences. I believe in their course and so do all the people here. The staff is friendly and very helpful. I will highly recommend coming here if you want to help out where it's needed.

Lions at Antelope park

The hands-on lion project at Antelope Park was everything I had hoped it would be. The lion walks with the cubs were wonderful. They are amazing animals. The work that the volunteers do on a day to day basis helps the project run efficiently and make you feel like you are contributing to the lions well-being.

Morgan's review of Antelope park

I have really enjoyed my time and I was I could stay. What I was most impressed with was pre departure reassurance and explanations and introductions to each activity. I do wish the additional excursions were cheaper though!

My time at Antelope park

Going to Antelope Park was definitely the best decision i made for my trip. They offer an amazing experience alone, never mind the impact that the other volunteers will have on you while you are there.

Volunteer at AP

I really liked being at AP as an volunteer because of all the people how works there. And being around animals every day has been amazing. You make friends for life from many different countries and i love that!

Emotionally rewarding

This was our first time in Africa and volunteering in this way. We discovered Antelope Park via Travellers Worldwide website. We were not disappointed! We enjoyed every moment of our experience on the lion project and also working one day with the community team. We stayed for two weeks and although we got everything, we feel that three weeks would have been better. The people, the organisation and most of all the friendliness of all the local staff was incredible and helped to make this one of our most meaningful holidays ever.

Antelope park

I loved my stay, the people is so nice and you get so close to the lions. And if you want to take a day in stables or community you can do that too. You get the best memories and a lot of new friends, you never thought of making.

Best month of my life

This adventure is a 10/10. I wish i could do the hole thing again and now that i`m home i feel lonely and all i have been thinking of is to go back. The first thing I did when i got home was to check the flight back to Zimbabwe and how much it was for 2 week.

My time at antelope park

I had an amazing 3 weeks at Antelope Park and it was unlike anything I've ever done before! The activities were fun while still feeling like I was making an impact to the project. The other volunteers and staff really made the experience.

Sams review

I have had such a great time being back at Antelope Park ;as always the volunteer manager was excellent and was flexible to everyones needs. I enjoyed being able to interact again with all the staff and other returning volunteers, it really makes it feel like a second home! I got chance to visit Free to be Wild this time which was the best excursion yet. Overall, a great experience again!

Horse and lion conservation ?

What an amazing place ! Anreope Park is a very special place which offers people an insight to life in Zimbabwe, here I have met friends from around the world and also made connections with the local people who have shared their stories and life. It is place where you can learn as much as you would like, in saying that you also need perseverance and patience as Africa works on its on time schedule in its own way and presents you with many challenges. If you embrace this, the opportunities presented to you are endless, and you learn ingenuity and flexibility. U will learn to accept that the simple things in life are the rays of sunshine, it might be a smile for a job well done or for,example the satisfaction of filling a truck of sand from an hour away that you need for just one stable that takes you half a day to do ! Here, you cannot just go and buy replacements for broken objects, so you appreciate what you have and share the things you have, and if you do, you will find there are many people who will give you a hug when u need or repair a pair of boots for you, or just sing a song with you to lift your spirits when u feel a little down. The staff of antelope park are exceptional, they have to contend with often difficult circumstances but I find their patience enduring , the international staff giving you advice and guidance and the locals offering their smiles and music, of course there is the normal course of bickering , it would not be normal without, but here you feel safe and welcome. You must remember while your here at the park that you have a job to do , it’s not a holiday although I fear that there are some who see it that way, but if u do , you will not gain the insights and experiences offered to you. I do wish that antelope park had more resources, as the equipment , especially in stables is often lacking and it is hard to do the jobs excepted of you without the resources. I think also sometimes the communication between different projects could be improved , everyone has incredibly important jobs to do , we are just all cogs in a large wheel and together makes this incredible project work. Everyone sometimes needs to realise this and that no one is more important than the other. I hope to go back to antelope park and be able to contribute further as they have allowed me to, I have left some of my heart there and would like to know that even my very small contribution has made a little difference and that they would welcome me back with open arms .

My stay at Antelope park

My stay at Antelope Park was overall good. The staff is really nice and so helpful and they really care about the animals and the volunteers. The houses and bathrooms are overall okay, but could have been better.

My stay

I had two weeks at Antelope Park in march. my staying was fantastic, and I met a lot of new and wonderful people. Only two weeks is not enough, and I would recommend having a longer stay. There is always something to do.

Antelope park 2018

I have been at AP for three weeks now. I was here for six weeks in October/November 2017. The greatest thing about AP is the interaction with the lions and elephants via the walks. I have had the opportunity to walk three sets of cubs during ,my two stays here, and it has been amazing. Another thing worth mentioning is the bond that you make with the other volunteers from all over the world, you go from being friends to being each others little bonus family away from home. To experience this twice has been amazing, and I have met so many wonderful people during my nine weeks here at AP. So you have been warned, this place is addictive.

My dream

I have since I was a little girl had a dream to work with lions and that dream I got a sudden opportunity to achieve here in March 2018. Antelope Park is an excellent place, where you get very close to lions. Their lion project is well thought-out and you get a experience for life as a voluntary, as well as getting friendships for life with people from all over the world. Personnel and administration is super-friendly and they will do anything for you to get an amazing experience. Many thanks for having had brilliant 2 weeks by you and I will look back on this stay for the rest of my life.

21 days of African experience

As soon as I got here, I felt like my time here would be too short. Everything seemed perfect. As time went on, I noticed some cracks in the foundation (project-wise) but I still enjoyed every single day here as I learned a lot, experienced many things, got to know new people, learned about Zimbabwean culture and made an amazing trip to Vic Falls.