Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

Lion project

The most incredible 5 weeks. So much happening, so well organised and so much on offer. Rosa and Abbie were both brilliant and there was an amazing feel about the place. Came for 4 weeks and stayed an extra week, best decision. The option of Victoria Falls was fantastic and park life was so much fun. Lion walks and elephant herds were incredible and the setting of the place was beautiful. The only problem is once you go you will never want to leave.

The greatest

Quite simply the greatest thing you will ever do... ever.

You will walk away with the greatest memories, the greatest friends and ultimately, the greatest urge to return.

'Where else in the world'.

Simply amazing

Antelope park is the best thing I’ve ever done. The experiences, the scenery, the friends you make and just being here is out of this world. If you were to stay here for a couple of days, it would probably be one of the best day of your life, just imagine being here for 2 months as I did! This should be on everybody’s bucket list.

Thankful

It was my first time her in Africa and on this project. i am very thankfully for that. i will com back some time when i get the opportunity. And i was her for 2 weeks and that was to short time, so next time will hopefully be her for 4 weeks. and i will take whit me some new people.

My stay at Antelope Park

I have had two amazing weeks here and I'm so happy I chose this project. Staff is amazing, Rosa has been a fantastic volunteer manager, the excursions and activities are great and they were everything I expected them to be. I feel so happy to have been part of a project that is making a difference in the world and it will be so interesting to follow the progress of the lion program. I can't wait to go back!

My magical experience at Antelope Park

At Antelope Park, I made my childhood dream of working with lions come true. This has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me knowing that I am making a difference in the world. Not only was I privileged enough to interact with the animals, I was also able to immerse in the local culture of Zimbabwe. This is where I developed a passion for the people of Africa. Seeing everyone's smiling faces everyday and happy energies uplifted me even on days where I felt homesick. Being involved in the community project provided me the opportunity to help children in need and make an impact in their lives. Overall, I have found a family in Antelope Park and I will definitely be back very soon to keep changing the world for the better.

My stay at Antelope Park

My stay at Antelope Park was excellent. There are a lot of activities us volunteers participate in but we can also choose to help staff for a mixed experience. The staff here are all very friendly and nice people that are easy to interact with and talk to in general. The sleeping and living quarters for volunteers is not first class but it is okay. The food, however, is not good most of the time and is of a lesser quality than that which guests receive, which i believe is not okay for what us volunteers do. It is also apparent that we are considered lesser than the guests which makes the feeling here in the park terrible at times, especially when you look at what we pay and do as volunteers. Despite some these setbacks my stay was excellent.

The best experience of my life

I've been here for 2 months now and I can honestly say this has been the best experience of my life. I've made life long friends and had the most amazing time. The staff are lovely and I would come back in a heart beat. Vic falls was brilliant and what made it even better was the group I went with and our amazing guide! Lion walks and elephant herding we're personal highlights and i was lucky enough to come at a time when cubs were just a few months old getting to interact and be so close to baby and big lions was incredible. I also got to be here when a foal was born! I would especially like to mention how lovely the staff have been they never fail to put a smile on my face and have been some of the best people I have ever met. Especially Rosa who from day one has made me feel welcome and has become not just a manager to me but also a friend! Overall I've loved it here and cannot wait to come back to the place which now feels like home to me!

Hands on lion conservation

An unmissable experience for anyone looking to volunteer in Zimbabwe. Staff members make a big effort to make all volunteers feel welcome immediately, and the activity programme offers enough flexibility so that you never feel as though you have missed out on any experiences during your stay.

The time of my life

My time here at Antelope Park has been absolutely amazing. It has been an incredible experience working hands on with lions and elephants. I especially enjoyed the day to day life on project, but definitely also the social aspect. During my stay I got to meet so many lovely new people from all over the world and made friends for life. It has been a pleasure working with animals and a privilege to become a part of the Antelope Park family. An experience I truly can recommend to everyone!

My time at Antelope park

Good experience in general ! I was lucky To do 2 cub-sitting with lions !!! I really loved the walks with Ruva, Tonga and Tamuka !!! I have learned many things about lions behaviour so it is great !!! However I think there are too many volunteers for this project !

My time at the lion conservation project

When I think back to my African adventure, I first remember the nice volunteers from all around the world, that I got to get to know. The African staff members are very friendly and are glad to educate the volunteers not only about the lions, but also about the Zimbabwean culture and their languages. I also got to know many sides of the work with the lions, from meat preparation (cutting meat) and cleaning the lion enclosures to the most popular activity: the cub-sitting.

My time during the hands-on lion project @ Antelope park

The overall rating of this project is very good! From pre-booking, on the arrival and during my stay it felt very well organised and we were taken very good care of. Overall a fantastic experience. The staff was very friendly and contributed to a big part of my stay. I made new friends for live!

A great experience!

I had a great experience here. All the activities were well-planned and my days were very eventful to say the least. The staff on-site are extremely helpful and I absolutely loved my stay. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Antelope park

Volunteering with African Impact was a great experience. The work I did was rewarding and the people I met are now lifelong friends. I enjoyed meat prep and research the most. It's sad to leave but I will be back.

Karen Beate Hjorteland & Cassandra Hauge, Norway / hands- on lion conservation project

We are two friends who have spent four weeks as volunteers on the lion conservation project at antelope park. It has been four amazing weeks and we have never learned and got so many new experiences in such a short period of time! We love that every day is different and we would recommend this to everyone!

Just amazing!

My stay here in Antelope Park has been amazing, I have met so many interesting, funny and sweet people during my stay. I really felt close to the animals in every different way, and I have learned so much about myself and the animals here in Africa.

Best decision!

It's a really amazing project where you get so close to the animals.I had 5 incredible weeks at the lion project and after this i got the opportunity to join the community project for my last 3 weeks. Both projects were amazing and i would really recommend antelope park.

Best experience of my life

Antelope Park is really an amazing project, that I have loved being a part of. Getting to be hands on with amazing animals such as lions and elephants has been incredible. Truly an experience that I would not be without! Will definitely recommend to everyone I know.

Volunteer

My 3 weeks here at Antelope park as a volunteer has been great. I really appreciate the fact that they are very flexible and helpful so that everyone can get the most out of their stay. I would absolutely recommend it.

Had a great time at Antelope park!

Antelope park is a great place to be a volunteer, especially if it is your first time. The staff, food, accommodation and activities are all great and it kind of feels like a mix between volunteering and holiday.

My third wonderful trip to Antelope Park

I have returned to Antelope Park for a second time, so its safe to say I love coming here! Its been so great to see old friends, make new ones and be involved with the lions and elephants again. Becoming an unofficial (this time!) Crazy Cat Lady has been wonderful too.
I have no complaints; the food has been tasty and plentiful, the activities as varied, challenging and fun as before, the staff wonderful and the animals awesome! Big thanks to Rosa for continuing to juggle a million things with aplomb..and a smile! And for running the Quiz night. Also to Dax the Head Chef for proving great food and helping myself and other volunteers with organising 2 events; providing the glasses for the drinks for the Quiz night and for carrying out a Cooking Workshop at our request! And to Yvonne, for all her hard work, not just in Research, but with all the cats especially Fat Cat. Another Crazy Cat Lady, she always goes the extra mile for them.
Only one tiny niggle that's barely worth mentioning; Carlos; is it really necessary to cut down entire trees INCASE they cause a road problem later on, when a branch trimming would do? That's what maintenance is! You don't shave your head just incase you need a hair cut in a few months time!! You might as well cut down all the trees with that way of thinking..! :-) Anyway, that was the only thing that niggled me.
To sum up, it has been another amazing trip. I've made more lovely new friends and I'm so terribly sad to leave. Keep fighting the good fight my friends, I hope to see you again soon!

Medical and lions

I have had such a great time, words can not even describe how pleased I am with my stay. It has been an experience I will never forget, and one that I will definitely repeat again in the future. During the couple of weeks I was here i met so many great people, volunteers, staff and locals, they were all so friendly and welcoming! If I where to rate my stay it would be a 10 out of 10 on all points, the food, the service, facilities, projects and the way everything is so well organized. A huge thank you Antelope park, you are dong a great job! I think it is so amazing that I got the opportunity to combine community work and animals, and your staff are so lovely. All in all it has been a life-changing experience indeed, and many great memories! If I had to think of any potential improvements it would be that it would bee nice if the bar stayed open a little longer on the weekends , and that there is a opportunity to buy food after the coffee shop closes for those who stay up late.

Lion walk

I spent two amazing weeks at Antelope Park and wish i could stay longer. The experience is just so surreal and no amount of photos or videos will ever explain how great it is to be here. Join the volunteering program and you will see how beautiful this place is.

6 weeks at Antelope park

I have stayed six weeks at Antelope Park on the Lion Conservation project from the beginning of October til the end of November. I really enjoyed my stay here at Antelope Park. I booked four weeks at my travel agency, but I was not ready to leave this amazing place, so I extended my stay. During my stay I have experienced a lot of different things like walking the three lion cubs and preparing food for the lions. I have also met a lot of amazing people from all over the world. All in all i can say that going on this trip has been one of the best decisions i have ever made.