Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

Best decision ever

Ever since i was a little girl I have wished to come to Africa and work with animals. Now my dream finally came true. Choosing Antelope Park has been one of the best decisions I have made. The activities are very good and you really get to do a lot of different things especially on the lion project. Choosing the lions made it possible to jump on the other projects as well. I have not had a single bad day while being here. Furthermore, the staff at Antelope park are so friendly and they are always up to something fun. I will definitely come back one day, not only for the project but because of the staff as well.

Trip of a LIFETIME!

Although I was paying out of pocket to volunteer, I couldn't have chosen a better way to spend my money, or my time. Antelope Park gave me the hands on experience I needed to pursue a career with animals when I return home, not only was I doing incredible things with these massive, wild animals, I was also caring for them, learning from them, and discovering each individuals personalities. I'll leave Africa with a little piece of it forever in my heart, with hopes of returning one day. The staff and handles are amazing, talented individuals. I've made life long friends and lasting memories. I could not be happier with the time spent here. If you're contemplating volunteering with African Impacts, in particular Antelope Park, I'd say you're making the right decision.

Best decision I've ever made

My name is Line and I've spend the past 4 weeks on the lion/photography project. As a person who wants to do everything at one time, I found this project perfect for me. In 4 weeks I haven't had a single day being the exact same, everyday I've experienced something new and even more exciting than the day before. Even though I went here on my own I never felt like I was alone, it's like having an extra family to come home to at the end of every day. I would definitely recommend this project to everyone I know.

Lion Project

I was here for only 2 weeks, and I wish I could have stayed longer. 2 weeks was not enough time to experience and appreciate this amazing facility. The work that is put into making the Lion Conservation project succeed is amazing. Get ready to work hard, but be rewarded immensely for it. Amazing facility!!!!

Adventuring in Antelope Park

Is hard to ignore the beauty of this place! The animals, surroundings and staff will make you want to stay for ever. I recommend this if you are looking of an escape from reality & love working (hard) with animals.

Officially my second home

My stay here has been absolutely amazing, I loved it all so much and when I first came it was way better then what i might have thought it would be. For me it was definitely the people that did the whole trip, just made it so much better. I went on this journey alone and made friends for life here, writing everything about my stay here just doesn't do it justice! It has changed my life and my perspective on things. The stuff they do here is really great, and you can just see how much change they do and improvements for the animals. You really feel like this is somewhat of a second home, and everyone is so friendly.

Antelope park review

I cannot begin to put into words how absolutely extraordinary this experience has been; from the second you arrive at the park you're welcomed with open arms and completely immersed into a new way of life. Every day bring something different, from snare sweeps to elephant herding, enclosure painting to lion walks, meat-preparation to cub-sitting -it's never a boring day. And everything you do will make a great story to tell when you get home.

The main point I wanted to make was this: you truly feel like you're making a difference, that both your money and your time are put wholly into the project. This was the best money I have ever spent, and the best three weeks of my life. I'm leaving with new friends, new experiences and million stories that I'll be telling for a very long time.

Very awesome experience

This was my first time being here and I'm so happy with the amazing project. This place is so cool and the staff is so friendly. I loved every second of interacting with the animals here. Definitely one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Second time volunteering with Lions

I was a volunteer last year with the same program. It was just so amazing so I decided to come back. I missed the animals, the people here, the feeling of freedom and just everything about it. Where else in the world could you walk with lions and see them so close? It has been my dream since I was little and when I first time got here it was exactly what I was hoping for. Actually it was even better. The place is so beautiful here. But of course I have always thought that attitude is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Coming here you have to have a good attitude cause there is always something to complain about. But I chose not to and it has been the best experience of my life time!

Miss it already!

Had such an amazing two weeks, never realised how hands on the volunteering actually was, incredible time getting to be so involved with the animals. Guides/handlers and project managers are so welcoming.

Experience of a lifetime

After 2 weeks at Antelope Park i can fully recommend the hands on experience with the lions. I always wanted to visit Africa to fulfill a goal of being on a safari but the Lions Project was so much more. Being able to be so close the lions and elephants and being involved in day to day tasks for their upkeep makes the experience unforgettable. Rosa, the handlers and all of the team are amazing and do their best to make you feel at home and part of the team even if it is only a short stay. Would like to come back as many of the volunteers on my trip have already done. Thank you Antelope Park!

2 weeks with African Impact

I did the lion project for 2 weeks in Antelope park, it was an amazing experience which i will never forget. I also did the community project for 2 days which was very interesting. The children are so great full. In 2 weeks time i learnt a lot about the lions and the culture here in Zimbabwe.

Great park

Antelope park was a great place to do volunteer work on. I loved the place because we got the opportunity to be close to the lions for example lion walks. We also got the opportunity to do a lot of trips to explore Zimbabwe.

A Dream Come True

This experience was a dream come true! Everything i wanted to do here, i did. Held a snake, waked with lions, elephants, swim with horses, vic falls. They are so nice and helpful here. I'm gonna miss everyone in the staff and the volunteers I was here with!

My Favorite Place In Africa

Antelope Park has been nothing short of amazing. The workers and other volunteers are extremely nice and I have never felt more at home somewhere so quickly. The activities are great and hands on with the lions, community and the staff!

Volunteer placement

This whole experience has been the best one I've ever had. having some of the most amazing experiences and meeting amazing people. I'm so glad i came here and stayed for so long, it went by so quickly! i wish i could have stayed for longer. I love everything about this place and I'm very glad to say I defiantly will be coming back!

September 2017

Great Experience. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Loved all activities and excursions. Activities were fun and varied. Looking forward to keeping up to date with progress via face book. Two weeks not enough time.

Amazing experience

I definitely recommend this place to everyone who is ready to experience volunteer work! I was on lion project for 2 weeks, in fact that was not enough and I wish I could stay longer. It was really amazing to spent time in atmosphere of helping and doing something important! From the beginning we knew what we are doing and why, each activity gave me not only an unrepeatable emotions, but also a great amount of information about Africa, animals here and people's impact on their life's. Moreover, you will see the whole picture of how do proceeds in nature goes. Before trip I was a little afraid of "work" here, because I couldn't imagine how can I help lions and will I be able to deal with this work, hopefully, there wasn't anything hard, just some work that should always be done, like cleaning, feeding or watering:) I really enjoyed excursions! All of them were really impressive. There are no words to describe how big is impact that this organisation does here, so I hope that there will be more and more people that would like to join!)

Anteloper park

my experience at Anteloper park was great .........................................................................................................................................................................

Best experience of my life

I came to Antelope Park with high expectations. Amazingly, my experience far exceeded my expectations. My passion is to assist in helping save the African Lions. My stay at Antelope park, and working with ALERT, showed me cutting edge ways in which they are helping to facilitate the release of Lions into the wild. NO CANNED HUNTING HERE, unlike other programs I looked into joining. I'm excited to help spread the word about this wonderful program. It was by far the most amazing experience I've ever had.

My review

all the staff and handlers are friendly, approachable and easy to get on with, accommodation is what i expected, food was well above expectations any questions asked were answered almost immediately fun times.

African Impact volunteer program

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time volunteering at Antelope Park. I feel that I have gained quite a bit of knowledge about wildlife conservation through my time here. Working on the release site with Yvonne was my favorite part of my volunteer experience, and her passion for working with the lions is contagious.

Lions and elephants in Antelope park

My time here at Antelope Park seriously surpassed my expectations. I came here initially because I was seeking a more hands-on animal experience in Africa (as opposed to just a typical safari). My only standards for the trip were that I wanted to spend more time with animals, I guess. What I gained from my time here was an experience where I bonded with elephants and lions, to know their personalities, likes, dislikes-- almost as if they were pets of my own, in the end. Most importantly though, was the relationship I forged with the people I met here. The staff was beyond helpful--Rosa always made sure that we were enjoying our time and that we clearly understood our purpose and how our (sometimes seemingly tedious) contributions were really making a difference. The other volunteers and I created an amazing bond with each other through this shared experience and I will treasure it always.

I had the most amazing time :)

I had the most amazing time and made the most incredible friends. The staff and people here at Antelope Park are so friendly and welcoming. I cant wait to come back and make more memories that will last a lifetime.

Feedback

In the three weeks I have been here I learned so much and I would recommend others to do the same. The only problem i have is that all of the volunteers are expected to meet up on the right time but the handlers take all the time they need (African time) so us volunteers often have to wait for the handlers almost every time we have an activity.

• African Impact responded to this review August 02, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Hi Ingeborg,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We understand that the “African Time” issue can be a problem on project. It has been raised with the AP staff, including the handlers and guides, and we are currently discussing ways to minimize this.

We really appreciate your review and take every piece of feedback into consideration as we want to ensure all of our volunteers, including yourself, have a positive experience.

Thank you for your hard work on project Ingeborg and best wishes,

The African Impact Antelope Park Team