Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

Housing beds and horses

The bedding wasnt very comfortable i could feel nearly all the wooden stacks thro the bedding witch made me not sleep well
The horses have a massive tick problem that needs to be delt with. They shouldnt have that many ticks on them its so sad and would be extremely uncomfortable for the horses
Some of the horses feet need to be cut more often if the fairer cant get thro all the horses in one day then get him back the next week or do 1/4 of the horses each week but there feet shouldnt be that bad nor should get to the point they should be craking or walking funny or walking and having to twist there feet so they arent in pain

Antilope Park

Great place and great people! The staff are great and they know so much about the animals. They will answer questions you may have about the animals and the place you are staying at. They love to joke whit you and try to make your stay as good as possible. The task you are doing can be hard but you are doing it for the animals. You get to be with the lions and elephants and all the other animals they have here. I have loved my time here!

My time at Antelope Park

From arriving at Antelope Park, I have been welcomed with open arms! All the staff and volunteers are great. I have been able to experience incredible things, whilst having the time of my life!
This project is like no other, walking with lions nearly every day, where else in the world!?
I have been able to directly impact the lives of so many lions, and it is such an amazing feeling knowing that me being here has helped.
Yes, i have been able to play with a lion cub or ride elephants, but i have also helped with the day to day running of the park, and giving these lions the best life possible.
I have made life long friends, from all over the world and know i am always welcome back at Antelope Park.
The staff are great, and make you feel right at home and are always asking if you're okay. Rosa is incredible at what she does, and deserves a medal for all her hard work!
These memories and experiences are unprecedented, and i din't think it would have such an impact.
I will be leaving my heart with Antelope Park.

My Antelope Park experience

My time at Antelope Park has been an amazing one. It's my second time here and I was so nervous to see if my second trip would be as great as my first one. I'm pleased to say it has been even better! I'm so sad to leave.
I have met people from all over the world, made friends for life and worked alongside lovely people and beautiful animals. The work done at Antelope Park is amazing; there are so many parts to the work done here; so many cogs in the machine, that I'm truly impressed and inspired at how things keep going so well! I'm particularly impressed with Rosa; how she keeps all the volunteers and their activities coordinated is beyond me. And usually with a big smile on her face!
It has been a privilege to be involved with the work here and to meet the people doing such great work everyday. The staff and all the interns are just wonderful.
The thought of leaving the friends I've made, the lions, elephants, horses, Jackie and most especially the cats breaks my heart. Another mention must go to Yvonne, for her great Research work and for being another crazy cat lady. Thank you for the cat biscuits!!
Keep fighting the good fight my friends; I shall remain here in spirit and hope with all my heart to see you again.

Volunteer on hands on lion project

Amazing experience ! I have always wanted to work for Lion conservation and observe these majestic animals at close quarters . we have lions in the Gir Sanctuary in India but no system of volunteers to work and gain an insight . Antelope parks induction programme in the first few days gave me a wide perspective of lions conservation . The horse safari was a wonderful way to observe nature ,the tall grasses ,many birds ,trees .variety of Acacia trees ,the Mopani tree and its medicinal benefits . I loved observing the elephants at close quarters and was surprised at the huge size of the male elephant Jechcha !i could spend hours watching the elephants graze on the Acacia leaves and branches ! Such peaceful creatures ! The Lion walks allowed me to observe the lions at close quarters ! The playfulness ,but still alert to the presence of any Impala ,the stalking of prey and the final chase was an amazing experience ! The Handlers did an excellent job of explaining lion behavior . The research on the Ngamo pride was ,let me observe the interaction between a pride members .Yvonne , does an excellent job in explaining the interactions happening, the importance of greetings between lions and the hierarchy of the pride . The food prep and the hard work put in to feed the lions and look after their other problems is very painstaking work ,which is done with a smile and the volunteers are always encouraged and supported. Any questions asked are explained in great detail . As I did the various activities ,I realized the tremendous efforts which the entire staff is putting . Rosa ,our volunteer manager is very efficient in assigning tasks and schedules and maintaining a happy balance between all the volunteers .She has made my stay very rewarding and comfortable .I am so glad she is here! The visit to the orphanage, the rural school shows you the the rewards which community outreach programme can have on the disadvantaged children . It was heartening to see smiling faces of children despite the hardships which they endure as they are supported by people who care .I return from here enriched by the varied experience which I have had . I would certainly like to come back some day !

An amazing experiencee

Spending a month at Antelope Park in Zimbabwe has easily been one of the best decisions i have made. Being able to spend quality time with such beautiful creatures and interesting people has truly been a privilege. :)

One of the best and most profound experiences of my life

My stay in Antelope Park as a volunteer has been one of the best and most profound experiences of my life. The friendships forged during the work, will endure for the rest of my life, and Antelope Park and the people working with and for the project, will always have a special place in my heart. The trip has awarded me with a deep insight into the work with conservation in practice, and the cultural impact of seeing the communities outside of Antelope Park, has sparked a whole new understanding, for me personally, of the different issues and difficulties facing people living in less fortunate conditions, than those we see in the western world. At the same time the experience has been very life-affirming, as I have witnessed a tremendous passion and willingness to help in such communities, with the people working for and with Antelope Park, as well as all of the volunteers. From the tough work with cleaning lion enclosures and helping with the expansion of a local orphanage, to the cozy bonfire-nights, parties and endless laughs with the other volunteers, the stay has been absolutely remarkable from start to end. I feel blessed to have known a group of people that makes saying goodbye to difficult, and I am certain that my return home from Antelope Park is not a goodbye, but merely an extended leave of absence, until we meet again.

Once in a lifetime experience

It was in the end a great learning experience, when it comes to both the wild life and the social life. An experience you would never take for granted. Its definitely something you will look back at with a smile.

The best month ever!

I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for when I booked the programme. I knew I'd be in Zim with lions and elephants, and I knew I'd probably enjoy it. But I wasn't prepared for how much you can fall in love with a place in such a short time period - it hits you all at once. As the days went on I found myself enjoying it more and more and the thought of leaving tomorrow makes me so sad. I feel like the luckiest person in the world, spending quality time with such magnificent creatures - there really isn't anything or anywhere else like it. It's like I've been here forever and also no time at all. There's the perfect balance of shit jobs, fun jobs, time off and social events. The whole thing just works. The staff are lovely and Rosa is a TOTAL babe - she works so hard to make things run smoothly and make sure everyone is okay - the place wouldn't be the same without her! I can honestly say I have had one of the best months of my life so far.

Absolutely life changing experience

I had such a fantastic time at the Antelope park that I really wish my program is longer than just two weeks. However, I made the most of my stay here and the experience here totally changed my life perspectives. I am studying to become a vet and I came with the hope of finding a field of interest for further specification in veterinary school. With every activities I did in African Impact, I did not just ensure my interest but also learnt much more details about myself. All the volunteers and staff here are also amazing to work with and I would for sure try to come back again sometimes in the future!

My review

Not many people volunteer here for 3 months like I did, however I could be happier here. Being here for these 3 months has been the highlight of my life, and the love I have for this place in unbelievable. Not only have I fallen with Antelope Park and the Lions, I have fallen in love with Zimbabwe. The staff here have made me feel so at home and as time has gone on they have stopped feeling like staff and started feeling like my friends.
This place is this best thing that has happen to me!
I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN ANTELOPE PARK <3

Amazing

My stay at antelope park has been amazing. I've learned a lot and tried many different things I had never thought I would do. The staff, other volunteers and the animals make antelope park a home that you don't want to leave again.

Excellent stay!

My 4 weeks at Antelope Park has been amazing. I have experienced so many new things, learned a lot and met some of the most amazing people i have ever known, both staff and other vols. I would recommend this to everyone who is thinking about it, you will not regret it!

Only place in the world where cleaning lion poo could be fun

Shovelling lion shit and looking for snares in the burning sun might sound tough, but will weirdly enough be something that you will remember with a smile after volunteering at Antelope Park. Every day is exciting in its own way and the wonderful staff and the friends you very quickly will feel like you've known forever make even the smelliest duties an amazing experience, especially when you get to end your day with a walk with lions through the bush.

Incredible

Absolutely incredible experience, once in a lifetime! Loved it! All the staff are so friendly and happy, it's easy to get on with everyone. The accommodation is brilliant and the experience is just amazing!

Hands on lion conservation project

This has bee a truly amazing experience. I have learned so much regarding lion and elephant behavioral patterns and have had such fun walking with these magnificent creatures. I feel so excited about the potential future research of releasing lions into the wild. (you need to read more about this through Antelope Park web site). The accommodation was very comfortable, food good, and it was such fun meeting young like minded people from all over the world, we all become part of a family very quickly. Highly recommended I am 63 yrs young.

Lion project

I'm very impressed with how well everything is organized. The schedules are flexible and you can often chose extra activities between the Lion project, Stables and Community. This means you get a chance to try a lot of different experiences. The staff is amazing. Very friendly and helpful. The projects are fantastic and you feel that you make a real difference. I had an absolutely AMAZING time here at Antelope Park.

I loved my stay at Antelope Park!

I have lived at Antelope Park for four weeks and it has been fantastic! I was involved in quite a number of activities which saw the preservation of lions and other game species of Africa. I have worked a lot with Tino on the Lions Project and he is such a great guy! I hope everyone gets to know him. The Lions Project is so special because you interact with lions EVERY DAY! I specially love the lions walk in mornings because Tunga, Tamuka & Ruva are so active and playful. These lions have touched my heart in a way I cannot explain.
Regarding the Release Project I think it is so interesting and I'm so sad that I have to leave just two weeks before the actual release. I really support the program and thoughts about it because Africa really do need lions!

All of the staff have been amazing to be with. Every morning and evening the Kitchen staff are so great and happy. They can make you smile for a Whole day! The guides as well - so nice and helpful people.
Iselin has also been a perfect volunteer manager. Such a sweet and funny girl - keep up the good work :-)
Antelope Park has touched my heart - I love it and everyone involved!

My African adventure

I have always loved lions and was thrilled when I found this project. This trip exceeded my expectations to the fullest. I have had the most fun in the six weeks that I have been here. The amount of things that I have seen and experienced here is crazy. I have walked with lions and elephants. Seen giraffes, impala and other animals here. Taken down snares, fed the lions and cleaned after them. Behavior enrichment, one of my favorites, has been amazing. I even helped deliver a baby! I didn't expect to meet so many like minded people here. We have all bonded well and definitely made friends for life. My experience here in Zimbabwe has been the best. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and I hope to back as soon as possible! Thank you wonderful staff for making this trip amazing <3

My stay at Antelope Park

My stay here at Antelope Park has lasted a full 6 weeks. That seemed like such a long time when I booked my stay here, but the weeks have flown by and I can't believe that my 6 weeks are up and I'm leaving. I have done and seen so many amazing things during my stay. I have walked the cubs and elephants on a daily basis, shovelled elephant poo and lion poo more times than I can count, made toys for the lions to play with, gotten to see the cubs stalk the game in the park, seen lions and elephants being darted and treated, fed the lions, gotten so many good friends and in general had the time of my life. Some days have been tiring and hard, but everyday has been fun and exciting. The staff are all wonderful and I will miss everyone so much! I didn't think I would like having roommates as much as I have, but when you are with people who are all here for the same reason as you - to help where you can and for all the amazing animals - you soon feel right at home. I'm so sad to leave this amazing place, with all it's amazing people and animals, but I know that I'm coming back as soon as possible!

Hands on lion conservation

I loved everything about my 2 weeks at Antelope Park. I was there for the animals, and yet the people made my experience incredible. I was so sad to come home! The people of Zimbabwe were welcoming and I felt completely at home instantly.

Volunteer on lion project

My time here at antelope park has bin absolutely wonderful. i did not know what to expect before i got here, but as soon as i got here it was really great. The people that works here and the Volunteers are really nice. The food and the living is great. And I feel home and safe at the campus and out on project. When it comes to the project, i think its really great what you are doing, and i love that i have been a part of this for 3 weeks. And i really hope that the project will succeed.
There are so many highlights from my stay, and to many to write down. but all in all this has been wonderful. and i like to come back next year.
thanks for having me :)

Excellent place

Antelope Park is a great place for volunteers from all over the world. You get so close to the people here and really hands on with your project here. I love the hard work we are doing here and you can see you do a big different for the animals and community.

Antelope park lion breeding

Being at antelope park has been an excellent experience. The Staff is amazing, super friendly and so cool. The other volunteers have been fantastic. I have meet so many new people and we have had so many cool and fun moments together. I have got to know so many people so good in just 4 weeks. Some of the most fun and amazing moment have been the lion walks, making toys for the lions, herding elephants, riding horses and a lot more. Only bad thing is that i can't stay longer.

Trip of a lifetime!

The two weeks I spent volunteering at Antelope park have definitely been the best two weeks of my life so far. Everyday was a new adventure and I've made memories and friends for life from all around the world. All of the staff from the organisation were always kind and helpful in any way necessary. I 100% recommend volunteering for African Impact as you will not regret it and it is all for an extremely good cause. African Impact certainly changes the world one day at a time and I am so glad that I can say I have contributed to this! I loved each and every day and would do it 100 times over if I was lucky enough to have the opportunity.
To have walked and worked alongside lions everyday, as well as elephants, horses, zebras, giraffes, the list goes on is an unexplainable feeling and it is unlike any other zoo or conservation park in the world. Antelope parks atmosphere was amazing and became like home to me in so little time. To have helped out the surrounding community and experienced the african culture certainly made it all that much better! Until next time AP!!