Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

My time at antelope park

I had an amazing 3 weeks at Antelope Park and it was unlike anything I've ever done before! The activities were fun while still feeling like I was making an impact to the project. The other volunteers and staff really made the experience

Sams review

I have had such a great time being back at Antelope Park ;as always the volunteer manager was excellent and was flexible to everyones needs. I enjoyed being able to interact again with all the staff and other returning volunteers, it really makes it feel like a second home! I got chance to visit Free to be Wild this time which was the best excursion yet. Overall, a great experience again!

Horse and lion conservation ?

What an amazing place ! Anreope Park is a very special place which offers people an insight to life in Zimbabwe, here I have met friends from around the world and also made connections with the local people who have shared their stories and life. It is place where you can learn as much as you would like, in saying that you also need perseverance and patience as Africa works on its on time schedule in its own way and presents you with many challenges. If you embrace this, the opportunities presented to you are endless, and you learn ingenuity and flexibility. U will learn to accept that the simple things in life are the rays of sunshine, it might be a smile for a job well done or for,example the satisfaction of filling a truck of sand from an hour away that you need for just one stable that takes you half a day to do ! Here, you cannot just go and buy replacements for broken objects, so you appreciate what you have and share the things you have, and if you do, you will find there are many people who will give you a hug when u need or repair a pair of boots for you, or just sing a song with you to lift your spirits when u feel a little down. The staff of antelope park are exceptional, they have to contend with often difficult circumstances but I find their patience enduring , the international staff giving you advice and guidance and the locals offering their smiles and music, of course there is the normal course of bickering , it would not be normal without, but here you feel safe and welcome. You must remember while your here at the park that you have a job to do , it’s not a holiday although I fear that there are some who see it that way, but if u do , you will not gain the insights and experiences offered to you. I do wish that antelope park had more resources, as the equipment , especially in stables is often lacking and it is hard to do the jobs excepted of you without the resources. I think also sometimes the communication between different projects could be improved , everyone has incredibly important jobs to do , we are just all cogs in a large wheel and together makes this incredible project work. Everyone sometimes needs to realise this and that no one is more important than the other. I hope to go back to antelope park and be able to contribute further as they have allowed me to, I have left some of my heart there and would like to know that even my very small contribution has made a little difference and that they would welcome me back with open arms .

My stay at Antelope park

My stay at Antelope Park was overall good. The staff is really nice and so helpful and they really care about the animals and the volunteers. The houses and bathrooms are overall okay, but could have been better.

My stay

I had two weeks at Antelope Park in march. my staying was fantastic, and I met a lot of new and wonderful people. Only two weeks is not enough, and I would recommend having a longer stay. There is always something to do.

Antelope park 2018

I have been at AP for three weeks now. I was here for six weeks in October/November 2017. The greatest thing about AP is the interaction with the lions and elephants via the walks. I have had the opportunity to walk three sets of cubs during ,my two stays here, and it has been amazing. Another thing worth mentioning is the bond that you make with the other volunteers from all over the world, you go from being friends to being each others little bonus family away from home. To experience this twice has been amazing, and I have met so many wonderful people during my nine weeks here at AP. So you have been warned, this place is addictive.

My dream

I have since I was a little girl had a dream to work with lions and that dream I got a sudden opportunity to achieve here in March 2018. Antelope Park is an excellent place, where you get very close to lions. Their lion project is well thought-out and you get a experience for life as a voluntary, as well as getting friendships for life with people from all over the world. Personnel and administration is super-friendly and they will do anything for you to get an amazing experience. Many thanks for having had brilliant 2 weeks by you and I will look back on this stay for the rest of my life.

21 days of African experience

As soon as I got here, I felt like my time here would be too short. Everything seemed perfect. As time went on, I noticed some cracks in the foundation (project-wise) but I still enjoyed every single day here as I learned a lot, experienced many things, got to know new people, learned about Zimbabwean culture and made an amazing trip to Vic Falls.

Cool experience

Antelope Park as a place for volunteers is amazing. The atmosphere is quite chill and relaxed; yet we get the jobs done (though 'Africa time' does apply almost at every event :) )
Staff is always smiling and happy.

Amazing experience!

I am very happy with my stay at Antelope Park. It has been an amazing experience to be a part of the African wildlife and the lion project. I have gotten many new experiences and friends thanks to the project. This is something I will remember for a long time.

Derek’s review

I really enjoyed my time here at antelope park. All of the staff was really helpful and friendly. I liked (almost) all activities and I thought the number of volunteers was about right for activities but not overcrowded. It was great getting to know Yvonne and seeing how passionate she is about ALERT and the Ngamo pride. I do wish things were more on time as a lot of days we were waiting 10-15 minutes for each thing to begin. My biggest complaint was my arrival. Rosa wasn’t here, but I was given a key to my room Sunday night and that was it. I had to ask other people about supper, when/where I needed to be somewhere on Monday so it was really confusing and not a warm welcome. I really do hope to come back as I love the lions.

Antelope Park

I had an amazing at AP. The staff, all the volunteers and especially the animals. I love how the handler’s give so much love for the whole project, and that we, as volunteers, can help to make a change. I wish I could have been there for ever, and I know for a fact that I’m going back as soon as possible. Thanks for having me, AP, and for everything I got to learn and experience.

The people

The people at Antelope Park is amazing! From the moment you arrive to the moment you are dropped of at the airport, they make you fell welcome and as a part of the family! They are always smiling and ready with a "how are you?".

My 3 weeks at Antelope park

Hi!
My 3 weeks at AP went so fast! I got to know a lot of people and animals. My flight was delayed so I came sooner, but the staff helped me ant took good care of me. The rest of the volunteers gave me an warm welcome. I've been so lucky to do a trip to Victoria falls, free to be wild and overnight horse safari. AP made my dream come true by walking with the lions and elephants. I also got to interact with the snakes and horses at camp as well. The only ting that could have taken my stay at the next level must be to stay a little longer. If you are considering Antelope park I will currage you to stop thinking and do it! This is a memorie for life, and I have to come back to this wonderful place! If you are going and want to go on trips, you should stay minimum 4 weeks ++ because I felt my stay at the park went so fast. I also want to join community for one day, but there was no time if i wanted to do the trips I went to. A big thank you to the staff, volunteers, animals and Free to be wild for making one of my biggest dreams come true. Big hugs from Emilie! I hope to meet you again, see you soon AP <3

Antelope park

very good project, I just wished the communication was better and that they told me beforehand about the money situation in Zimbabwe. Ans they told me about how you can leave earlier than 14.00 on the last day of your volunteer

Lion project

The most incredible 5 weeks. So much happening, so well organised and so much on offer. Rosa and Abbie were both brilliant and there was an amazing feel about the place. Came for 4 weeks and stayed an extra week, best decision. The option of Victoria Falls was fantastic and park life was so much fun. Lion walks and elephant herds were incredible and the setting of the place was beautiful. The only problem is once you go you will never want to leave.

The greatest

Quite simply the greatest thing you will ever do... ever.

You will walk away with the greatest memories, the greatest friends and ultimately, the greatest urge to return.

'Where else in the world'.

Simply amazing

Antelope park is the best thing I’ve ever done. The experiences, the scenery, the friends you make and just being here is out of this world. If you were to stay here for a couple of days, it would probably be one of the best day of your life, just imagine being here for 2 months as I did! This should be on everybody’s bucket list.

Thankful

It was my first time her in Africa and on this project. i am very thankfully for that. i will com back some time when i get the opportunity. And i was her for 2 weeks and that was to short time, so next time will hopefully be her for 4 weeks. and i will take whit me some new people.

My stay at Antelope Park

I have had two amazing weeks here and I'm so happy I chose this project. Staff is amazing, Rosa has been a fantastic volunteer manager, the excursions and activities are great and they were everything I expected them to be. I feel so happy to have been part of a project that is making a difference in the world and it will be so interesting to follow the progress of the lion program. I can't wait to go back!

My magical experience at Antelope Park

At Antelope Park, I made my childhood dream of working with lions come true. This has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me knowing that I am making a difference in the world. Not only was I privileged enough to interact with the animals, I was also able to immerse in the local culture of Zimbabwe. This is where I developed a passion for the people of Africa. Seeing everyone's smiling faces everyday and happy energies uplifted me even on days where I felt homesick. Being involved in the community project provided me the opportunity to help children in need and make an impact in their lives. Overall, I have found a family in Antelope Park and I will definitely be back very soon to keep changing the world for the better.

My stay at Antelope Park

My stay at Antelope Park was excellent. There are a lot of activities us volunteers participate in but we can also choose to help staff for a mixed experience. The staff here are all very friendly and nice people that are easy to interact with and talk to in general. The sleeping and living quarters for volunteers is not first class but it is okay. The food, however, is not good most of the time and is of a lesser quality than that which guests receive, which i believe is not okay for what us volunteers do. It is also apparent that we are considered lesser than the guests which makes the feeling here in the park terrible at times, especially when you look at what we pay and do as volunteers. Despite some these setbacks my stay was excellent.

The best experience of my life

I've been here for 2 months now and I can honestly say this has been the best experience of my life. I've made life long friends and had the most amazing time. The staff are lovely and I would come back in a heart beat. Vic falls was brilliant and what made it even better was the group I went with and our amazing guide! Lion walks and elephant herding we're personal highlights and i was lucky enough to come at a time when cubs were just a few months old getting to interact and be so close to baby and big lions was incredible. I also got to be here when a foal was born! I would especially like to mention how lovely the staff have been they never fail to put a smile on my face and have been some of the best people I have ever met. Especially Rosa who from day one has made me feel welcome and has become not just a manager to me but also a friend! Overall I've loved it here and cannot wait to come back to the place which now feels like home to me!

Hands on lion conservation

An unmissable experience for anyone looking to volunteer in Zimbabwe. Staff members make a big effort to make all volunteers feel welcome immediately, and the activity programme offers enough flexibility so that you never feel as though you have missed out on any experiences during your stay.

The time of my life

My time here at Antelope Park has been absolutely amazing. It has been an incredible experience working hands on with lions and elephants. I especially enjoyed the day to day life on project, but definitely also the social aspect. During my stay I got to meet so many lovely new people from all over the world and made friends for life. It has been a pleasure working with animals and a privilege to become a part of the Antelope Park family. An experience I truly can recommend to everyone!