Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

The best month EVER!

I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for when I booked the programme. I knew I'd be in Zim with lions and elephants, and I knew I'd probably enjoy it. But I wasn't prepared for how much you can fall in love with a place in such a short time period - it hits you all at once. As the days went on I found myself enjoying it more and more and the thought of leaving tomorrow makes me so sad. I feel like the luckiest person in the world, spending quality time with such magnificent creatures - there really isn't anything or anywhere else like it. It's like I've been here forever and also no time at all. There's the perfect balance of shit jobs, fun jobs, time off and social events. The whole thing just works. The staff are lovely and Rosa is a TOTAL babe - she works so hard to make things run smoothly and make sure everyone is okay - the place wouldn't be the same without her! I can honestly say I have had one of the best months of my life so far.

Absolutely life changing experience

I had such a fantastic time at the Antelope park that I really wish my program is longer than just two weeks. However, I made the most of my stay here and the experience here totally changed my life perspectives. I am studying to become a vet and I came with the hope of finding a field of interest for further specification in veterinary school. With every activities I did in African Impact, I did not just ensure my interest but also learnt much more details about myself. All the volunteers and staff here are also amazing to work with and I would for sure try to come back again sometimes in the future!

My review

Not many people volunteer here for 3 months like I did, however I could be happier here. Being here for these 3 months has been the highlight of my life, and the love I have for this place in unbelievable. Not only have I fallen with Antelope Park and the Lions, I have fallen in love with Zimbabwe. The staff here have made me feel so at home and as time has gone on they have stopped feeling like staff and started feeling like my friends.
This place is this best thing that has happen to me!
I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN ANTELOPE PARK <3

Amazing

My stay at antelope park has been amazing. I've learned a lot and tried many different things I had never thought I would do. The staff, other volunteers and the animals make antelope park a home that you don't want to leave again.

Excellent stay!

My 4 weeks at Antelope Park has been amazing. I have experienced so many new things, learned a lot and met some of the most amazing people i have ever known, both staff and other vols. I would recommend this to everyone who is thinking about it, you will not regret it!

Only place in the world where cleaning lion poo could be fun

Shovelling lion shit and looking for snares in the burning sun might sound tough, but will weirdly enough be something that you will remember with a smile after volunteering at Antelope Park. Every day is exciting in its own way and the wonderful staff and the friends you very quickly will feel like you've known forever make even the smelliest duties an amazing experience, especially when you get to end your day with a walk with lions through the bush.

Incredible

Absolutely incredible experience, once in a lifetime! Loved it! All the staff are so friendly and happy, it's easy to get on with everyone. The accommodation is brilliant and the experience is just amazing!

Hands on lion conservation project

This has bee a truly amazing experience. I have learned so much regarding lion and elephant behavioral patterns and have had such fun walking with these magnificent creatures. I feel so excited about the potential future research of releasing lions into the wild. (you need to read more about this through Antelope Park web site). The accommodation was very comfortable, food good, and it was such fun meeting young like minded people from all over the world, we all become part of a family very quickly. Highly recommended I am 63 yrs young.

Lion project

I'm very impressed with how well everything is organized. The schedules are flexible and you can often chose extra activities between the Lion project, Stables and Community. This means you get a chance to try a lot of different experiences. The staff is amazing. Very friendly and helpful. The projects are fantastic and you feel that you make a real difference. I had an absolutely AMAZING time here at Antelope Park.

I loved my stay at Antelope Park!

I have lived at Antelope Park for four weeks and it has been fantastic! I was involved in quite a number of activities which saw the preservation of lions and other game species of Africa. I have worked a lot with Tino on the Lions Project and he is such a great guy! I hope everyone gets to know him. The Lions Project is so special because you interact with lions EVERY DAY! I specially love the lions walk in mornings because Tunga, Tamuka & Ruva are so active and playful. These lions have touched my heart in a way I cannot explain.
Regarding the Release Project I think it is so interesting and I'm so sad that I have to leave just two weeks before the actual release. I really support the program and thoughts about it because Africa really do need lions!

All of the staff have been amazing to be with. Every morning and evening the Kitchen staff are so great and happy. They can make you smile for a Whole day! The guides as well - so nice and helpful people.
Iselin has also been a perfect volunteer manager. Such a sweet and funny girl - keep up the good work :-)
Antelope Park has touched my heart - I love it and everyone involved!

My African adventure

I have always loved lions and was thrilled when I found this project. This trip exceeded my expectations to the fullest. I have had the most fun in the six weeks that I have been here. The amount of things that I have seen and experienced here is crazy. I have walked with lions and elephants. Seen giraffes, impala and other animals here. Taken down snares, fed the lions and cleaned after them. Behavior enrichment, one of my favorites, has been amazing. I even helped deliver a baby! I didn't expect to meet so many like minded people here. We have all bonded well and definitely made friends for life. My experience here in Zimbabwe has been the best. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and I hope to back as soon as possible! Thank you wonderful staff for making this trip amazing <3

My stay at Antelope Park

My stay here at Antelope Park has lasted a full 6 weeks. That seemed like such a long time when I booked my stay here, but the weeks have flown by and I can't believe that my 6 weeks are up and I'm leaving. I have done and seen so many amazing things during my stay. I have walked the cubs and elephants on a daily basis, shovelled elephant poo and lion poo more times than I can count, made toys for the lions to play with, gotten to see the cubs stalk the game in the park, seen lions and elephants being darted and treated, fed the lions, gotten so many good friends and in general had the time of my life. Some days have been tiring and hard, but everyday has been fun and exciting. The staff are all wonderful and I will miss everyone so much! I didn't think I would like having roommates as much as I have, but when you are with people who are all here for the same reason as you - to help where you can and for all the amazing animals - you soon feel right at home. I'm so sad to leave this amazing place, with all it's amazing people and animals, but I know that I'm coming back as soon as possible!

Hands on lion conservation

I loved everything about my 2 weeks at Antelope Park. I was there for the animals, and yet the people made my experience incredible. I was so sad to come home! The people of Zimbabwe were welcoming and I felt completely at home instantly.

Volunteer on lion project

My time here at antelope park has bin absolutely wonderful. i did not know what to expect before i got here, but as soon as i got here it was really great. The people that works here and the Volunteers are really nice. The food and the living is great. And I feel home and safe at the campus and out on project. When it comes to the project, i think its really great what you are doing, and i love that i have been a part of this for 3 weeks. And i really hope that the project will succeed.
There are so many highlights from my stay, and to many to write down. but all in all this has been wonderful. and i like to come back next year.
thanks for having me :)

Excellent place

Antelope Park is a great place for volunteers from all over the world. You get so close to the people here and really hands on with your project here. I love the hard work we are doing here and you can see you do a big different for the animals and community.

Antelope park lion breeding

Being at antelope park has been an excellent experience. The Staff is amazing, super friendly and so cool. The other volunteers have been fantastic. I have meet so many new people and we have had so many cool and fun moments together. I have got to know so many people so good in just 4 weeks. Some of the most fun and amazing moment have been the lion walks, making toys for the lions, herding elephants, riding horses and a lot more. Only bad thing is that i can't stay longer.

Trip of a lifetime!

The two weeks I spent volunteering at Antelope park have definitely been the best two weeks of my life so far. Everyday was a new adventure and I've made memories and friends for life from all around the world. All of the staff from the organisation were always kind and helpful in any way necessary. I 100% recommend volunteering for African Impact as you will not regret it and it is all for an extremely good cause. African Impact certainly changes the world one day at a time and I am so glad that I can say I have contributed to this! I loved each and every day and would do it 100 times over if I was lucky enough to have the opportunity.
To have walked and worked alongside lions everyday, as well as elephants, horses, zebras, giraffes, the list goes on is an unexplainable feeling and it is unlike any other zoo or conservation park in the world. Antelope parks atmosphere was amazing and became like home to me in so little time. To have helped out the surrounding community and experienced the african culture certainly made it all that much better! Until next time AP!!

Greatest time

I had a good time, the best time, the greatest time. Had loads of fun. Nice cats. Love the dessert days. Loved the drop in center and spending time with the kids. :) :) :) Mr. Jones is the best. :) :) :)

Internship management, hospitality, tourism, & marketing

It was one of the best experience of my life. I've learned so much things about the management of the park, but I also had the chance to work on all the project of African Impact. I will never forget the all the staff of antelope park, they were always around to give us informations, to answer our questions and make us feel so proud of our work.

A fantastic journey to Antelope Park

My stay at Antelope Park has been amazing, with wonderful and insane experiences. I met so many great people, made new friends, but the most awesome thing was to walk with the cubs, at least once a day. I have never tried anything like it, and you cannot get an experience like it anywhere else in the world. Watching the lions get fed and walking with the elephants was amazing as well, and it was really good to see how the handlers handled the animals with respect and love.
Everyone should go to Antelope Park, to get an experience like mine - because it really is a once in a lifetime experience!

One in a lifetime experience

This experience has been fantastic. It was a dream come true to connect with the cubs in the way this project allowed me to. Furthermore the social life at Antelope Park is amazing both among staff and volunteers.

Eye-opening project

This experience has been great. I came here to find out what I really want to achieve in my life and I think Antelope Park really helped with that. I love how intertwined the projects are. The answer to the problem is so simple but hard to put into work. Helping the community is just as important as helping the lions but you can't only help one of them. Both are very closely knitted and this organization really have it together. Other great thing with this experience is that I found new friends from many other countries, some of them for life probably. I am definitely coming back here.

Volunteer program

I have to say I am very impressed with this particular program. I am always skeptical when observing different wildlife sanctuaries, zoos, etc. I am always open to a new program, however, I want to see for myself what the full experience is like. After meeting with staff and the owner I am happy to see what progress they have made with the lions. After taking part in some of the responsibilities and activities, I know that all the animals well-being is the main focus at Antelope Park. So after joining this program as a volunteer, I can happily say that I will be back. Not only do I have the need to come back but I will enjoy promoting this program as much as I can.

Taylor's experience

It was an absolutely amazing experience, the staff are incredible and the experiences are priceless. I would highly recommend African Impact to my friends and family. I go into further detail later in the evaluation.

Dream come true

My experience with the volunteer program in Antelope Park was more than expected! I have always dreamed about working with lions. When I game here, I thought that maybe we are gonna see couple of lions a week. Turned out that we saw lions everyday, we cleaned their enclosures, fed them, walked with them, saw them hunting, collected research, made toys to them. We even rode with horses, saw giraffes and zebras, walked with elephants. Its amazing! And the local people we worked together with - they are one of the friendliest people I have met. Every day I felt like i'm making an impact to the animals and people all around me. Of course I think for me this experience was bigger influence than the impact that I made here. It just changed my thinking and opened up so many views I have not thought about before. And the vision that this place has - it is huge! But definitely its what you make out of it! If you have a great attitude and you are willing to do the things which are out of comfort zone, its for sure one of the best place to be!