Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Hands-On Lion Conservation Volunteering at Antelope Park

A dream come true

This expience was a dream come true! Everything i wanted to do here, i did. Held a snake, waked with lions, elephants, swim with horses, vic falls. They are so nice and helpfull here. im gonna miss everyone in the staff and the volunteres i was here with!

My Favorite Place In Africa

Antelope Park has been nothing short of amazing. The workers and other volunteers are extremely nice and I have never felt more at home somewhere so quickly. The activities are great and hands on with the lions, community and the staff!

Volunteer placement

This whole experience has been the best one I've ever had. having some of the most amazing experiences and meeting amazing people. I'm so glad i came here and stayed for so long, it went by so quickly! i wish i could have stayed for longer. I love everything about this place and I'm very glad to say I defiantly will be coming back!

September 2017

Great Experience. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Loved all activities and excursions. Activities were fun and varied. Looking forward to keeping up to date with progress via face book. Two weeks not enough time.

Amazing experience

I definitely recommend this place to everyone who is ready to experience volunteer work! I was on lion project for 2 weeks, in fact that was not enough and I wish I could stay longer. It was really amazing to spent time in atmosphere of helping and doing something important! From the beginning we knew what we are doing and why, each activity gave me not only an unrepeatable emotions, but also a great amount of information about Africa, animals here and people's impact on their life's. Moreover, you will see the whole picture of how do proceeds in nature goes. Before trip I was a little afraid of "work" here, because I couldn't imagine how can I help lions and will I be able to deal with this work, hopefully, there wasn't anything hard, just some work that should always be done, like cleaning, feeding or watering:) I really enjoyed excursions! All of them were really impressive. There are no words to describe how big is impact that this organisation does here, so I hope that there will be more and more people that would like to join!)

Anteloper park

my experience at Anteloper park was great .........................................................................................................................................................................

Best experience of my life

I came to Antelope Park with high expectations. Amazingly, my experience far exceeded my expectations. My passion is to assist in helping save the African Lions. My stay at Antelope park, and working with ALERT, showed me cutting edge ways in which they are helping to facilitate the release of Lions into the wild. NO CANNED HUNTING HERE, unlike other programs I looked into joining. I'm excited to help spread the word about this wonderful program. It was by far the most amazing experience I've ever had.

My review

all the staff and handlers are friendly, approachable and easy to get on with, accommodation is what i expected, food was well above expectations any questions asked were answered almost immediately fun times.

African Impact volunteer program

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time volunteering at Antelope Park. I feel that I have gained quite a bit of knowledge about wildlife conservation through my time here. Working on the release site with Yvonne was my favorite part of my volunteer experience, and her passion for working with the lions is contagious.

Lions and elephants in Antelope park

My time here at Antelope Park seriously surpassed my expectations. I came here initially because I was seeking a more hands-on animal experience in Africa (as opposed to just a typical safari). My only standards for the trip were that I wanted to spend more time with animals, I guess. What I gained from my time here was an experience where I bonded with elephants and lions, to know their personalities, likes, dislikes-- almost as if they were pets of my own, in the end. Most importantly though, was the relationship I forged with the people I met here. The staff was beyond helpful--Rosa always made sure that we were enjoying our time and that we clearly understood our purpose and how our (sometimes seemingly tedious) contributions were really making a difference. The other volunteers and I created an amazing bond with each other through this shared experience and I will treasure it always.

I had the most amazing time :)

I had the most amazing time and made the most incredible friends. The staff and people here at Antelope Park are so friendly and welcoming. I cant wait to come back and make more memories that will last a lifetime.

Feedback

In the three weeks I have been here I learned so much and I would recommend others to do the same. The only problem i have is that all of the volunteers are expected to meet up on the right time but the handlers take all the time they need (African time) so us volunteers often have to wait for the handlers almost every time we have an activity.

• African Impact responded to this review August 02, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Hi Ingeborg,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We understand that the “African Time” issue can be a problem on project. It has been raised with the AP staff, including the handlers and guides, and we are currently discussing ways to minimize this.

We really appreciate your review and take every piece of feedback into consideration as we want to ensure all of our volunteers, including yourself, have a positive experience.

Thank you for your hard work on project Ingeborg and best wishes,

The African Impact Antelope Park Team

Housing beds and horses

The bedding wasn't very comfortable i could feel nearly all the wooden stacks through the bedding witch made me not sleep well
The horses have a massive tick problem that needs to be dealt with. They shouldn't have that many ticks on them its so sad and would be extremely uncomfortable for the horses
Some of the horses feet need to be cut more often if the fairer cant get through all the horses in one day then get him back the next week or do 1/4 of the horses each week but there feet shouldn't be that bad nor should get to the point they should be cracking or walking funny or walking and having to twist there feet so they aren't in pain

Antilope park

Great place and great people! The staff are great and they know so much about the animals. They will answer questions you may have about the animals and the place you are staying at. They love to joke whit you and try to make your stay as good as possible. The task you are doing can be hard but you are doing it for the animals. You get to be with the lions and elephants and all the other animals they have here. I have loved my time here!

My time at Antelope park

From arriving at Antelope Park, I have been welcomed with open arms! All the staff and volunteers are great. I have been able to experience incredible things, whilst having the time of my life!
This project is like no other, walking with lions nearly every day, where else in the world!?
I have been able to directly impact the lives of so many lions, and it is such an amazing feeling knowing that me being here has helped.
Yes, i have been able to play with a lion cub or ride elephants, but i have also helped with the day to day running of the park, and giving these lions the best life possible.
I have made life long friends, from all over the world and know i am always welcome back at Antelope Park.
The staff are great, and make you feel right at home and are always asking if you're okay. Rosa is incredible at what she does, and deserves a medal for all her hard work!
These memories and experiences are unprecedented, and i din't think it would have such an impact.
I will be leaving my heart with Antelope Park.

My Antelope Park experience

My time at Antelope Park has been an amazing one. It's my second time here and I was so nervous to see if my second trip would be as great as my first one. I'm pleased to say it has been even better! I'm so sad to leave.
I have met people from all over the world, made friends for life and worked alongside lovely people and beautiful animals. The work done at Antelope Park is amazing; there are so many parts to the work done here; so many cogs in the machine, that I'm truly impressed and inspired at how things keep going so well! I'm particularly impressed with Rosa; how she keeps all the volunteers and their activities coordinated is beyond me. And usually with a big smile on her face!
It has been a privilege to be involved with the work here and to meet the people doing such great work everyday. The staff and all the interns are just wonderful.
The thought of leaving the friends I've made, the lions, elephants, horses, Jackie and most especially the cats breaks my heart. Another mention must go to Yvonne, for her great Research work and for being another crazy cat lady. Thank you for the cat biscuits!!
Keep fighting the good fight my friends; I shall remain here in spirit and hope with all my heart to see you again.

Volunteer on hands on lion project

Amazing experience ! I have always wanted to work for Lion conservation and observe these majestic animals at close quarters . we have lions in the Gir Sanctuary in India but no system of volunteers to work and gain an insight . Antelope parks induction programme in the first few days gave me a wide perspective of lions conservation . The horse safari was a wonderful way to observe nature ,the tall grasses ,many birds ,trees .variety of Acacia trees ,the Mopani tree and its medicinal benefits . I loved observing the elephants at close quarters and was surprised at the huge size of the male elephant Jechcha !i could spend hours watching the elephants graze on the Acacia leaves and branches ! Such peaceful creatures ! The Lion walks allowed me to observe the lions at close quarters ! The playfulness ,but still alert to the presence of any Impala ,the stalking of prey and the final chase was an amazing experience ! The Handlers did an excellent job of explaining lion behavior . The research on the Ngamo pride was ,let me observe the interaction between a pride members .Yvonne , does an excellent job in explaining the interactions happening, the importance of greetings between lions and the hierarchy of the pride . The food prep and the hard work put in to feed the lions and look after their other problems is very painstaking work ,which is done with a smile and the volunteers are always encouraged and supported. Any questions asked are explained in great detail . As I did the various activities ,I realized the tremendous efforts which the entire staff is putting . Rosa ,our volunteer manager is very efficient in assigning tasks and schedules and maintaining a happy balance between all the volunteers .She has made my stay very rewarding and comfortable .I am so glad she is here! The visit to the orphanage, the rural school shows you the the rewards which community outreach programme can have on the disadvantaged children . It was heartening to see smiling faces of children despite the hardships which they endure as they are supported by people who care .I return from here enriched by the varied experience which I have had . I would certainly like to come back some day !

An amazing experiencee

Spending a month at Antelope Park in Zimbabwe has easily been one of the best decisions i have made. Being able to spend quality time with such beautiful creatures and interesting people has truly been a privilege. :)

One of the best and most profound experiences of my life

My stay in Antelope Park as a volunteer has been one of the best and most profound experiences of my life. The friendships forged during the work, will endure for the rest of my life, and Antelope Park and the people working with and for the project, will always have a special place in my heart. The trip has awarded me with a deep insight into the work with conservation in practice, and the cultural impact of seeing the communities outside of Antelope Park, has sparked a whole new understanding, for me personally, of the different issues and difficulties facing people living in less fortunate conditions, than those we see in the western world. At the same time the experience has been very life-affirming, as I have witnessed a tremendous passion and willingness to help in such communities, with the people working for and with Antelope Park, as well as all of the volunteers. From the tough work with cleaning lion enclosures and helping with the expansion of a local orphanage, to the cozy bonfire-nights, parties and endless laughs with the other volunteers, the stay has been absolutely remarkable from start to end. I feel blessed to have known a group of people that makes saying goodbye to difficult, and I am certain that my return home from Antelope Park is not a goodbye, but merely an extended leave of absence, until we meet again.

Once in a lifetime experience

It was in the end a great learning experience, when it comes to both the wild life and the social life. An experience you would never take for granted. Its definitely something you will look back at with a smile.

The best month ever!

I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for when I booked the programme. I knew I'd be in Zim with lions and elephants, and I knew I'd probably enjoy it. But I wasn't prepared for how much you can fall in love with a place in such a short time period - it hits you all at once. As the days went on I found myself enjoying it more and more and the thought of leaving tomorrow makes me so sad. I feel like the luckiest person in the world, spending quality time with such magnificent creatures - there really isn't anything or anywhere else like it. It's like I've been here forever and also no time at all. There's the perfect balance of shit jobs, fun jobs, time off and social events. The whole thing just works. The staff are lovely and Rosa is a TOTAL babe - she works so hard to make things run smoothly and make sure everyone is okay - the place wouldn't be the same without her! I can honestly say I have had one of the best months of my life so far.

Absolutely life changing experience

I had such a fantastic time at the Antelope park that I really wish my program is longer than just two weeks. However, I made the most of my stay here and the experience here totally changed my life perspectives. I am studying to become a vet and I came with the hope of finding a field of interest for further specification in veterinary school. With every activities I did in African Impact, I did not just ensure my interest but also learnt much more details about myself. All the volunteers and staff here are also amazing to work with and I would for sure try to come back again sometimes in the future!

My review

Not many people volunteer here for 3 months like I did, however I could be happier here. Being here for these 3 months has been the highlight of my life, and the love I have for this place in unbelievable. Not only have I fallen with Antelope Park and the Lions, I have fallen in love with Zimbabwe. The staff here have made me feel so at home and as time has gone on they have stopped feeling like staff and started feeling like my friends.
This place is this best thing that has happen to me!
I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN ANTELOPE PARK <3

Amazing

My stay at antelope park has been amazing. I've learned a lot and tried many different things I had never thought I would do. The staff, other volunteers and the animals make antelope park a home that you don't want to leave again.

Excellent stay!

My 4 weeks at Antelope Park has been amazing. I have experienced so many new things, learned a lot and met some of the most amazing people i have ever known, both staff and other vols. I would recommend this to everyone who is thinking about it, you will not regret it!