Girl Empowerment, Moshi, Tanzania
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Girl Empowerment, Moshi, Tanzania

Upendo <3

I loved this trip with all my heart. The people, the places, the food, and the culture were simply amazing. You can feel the dedication and passion with everyone you meet from people on project, in the city, and even in the hostel. I went in with no expectations but ended up experiencing nothing short of everything.

Moshi volunteer program

African Impact is successfully working to educate and empower the community in Moshi, Tanzania. The programs here are impactful, and well organized. While you are volunteering, you are immersed in the culture of Tanzania. The students and groups you work with are determined and driven. You are able to create lasting friendships and relationships with the community students as well as fellow volunteers and coordinators. I HIGHLY recommend working with African Impact!!!

Opportunity of a lifetime

From the first communication from African Impact to day one on site to prep each day, I have felt part of a highly organized, professional, passionate team. However, it's the students in my classes and projects that have made my time in Moshi unforgettable. They are dedicated and eager and will remain in my memories for years to come. I am so glad that I chose African Impact for part of my volunteer experience while travelling abroad.

Yes, yes and yes!

The volunteer house was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. All the staff were amazing and helpful and were more than willing to answer any questions and participate in any games we wanted to play after project. The women, children and men that we worked with were all excited to learn and love a good competition, so if you have any fun games they were will be more than willing to play! There are numerous tours, day trips and weekend trips available which keep the weekends fun and entertaining, but you are more than welcome to stay behind and relax however you want! I can't wait to come back and see how much all the students have grown and improved!

Choose Moshi!!

My month here has been wonderful. The projects are so innovative and so much care goes into each of them, making them really sustainable and effective and exciting to be a part of. Also, you get so much variety! I've taught people from the Maasai tribe, worked one on one with basic literacy with a 15 year old girl during those sessions, taught in a secondary school, walked around town talking to Maasai women as the research and relationship building for a new project (and getting two of them to make it to class, which is a big achievement!!), and worked with a wonderful womens' group called Wakipa. The location is great, with Moshi market town close by and the general area is beauuutiful, and you really are welcomed into the community, I've experienced and learnt so much about the culture and people. This month has been the BEST.

Inspirational experience

My time with African Impact, although too short was truly an amazing experience. The work that the staff here do for the Moshi community is quite extraordinary! I cannot believe how such a small group of people can have such an enormous impact on such a vast and diverse community. The opportunities they offer to the people of Moshi is indescribable, literally everywhere you go here, African Impact have made some contribution, from the huge task of refurbishing the old peoples home to the what would seem to be a little task of laminating labels for Masai women's products. Every big and little thing the staff and volunteers here do, makes a huge difference to each and every persons lives.

A month in the life of a Tanzanian

The last two years of my life have been a bigger mess than any natural disaster has ever been able to cause. Throughout college, I thought I knew what I wanted. Right before I graduated, I quickly realized I actually knew nothing. I had no idea what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go, all I knew was who I wanted to be. I have always said that all I want to be is whoever people need me to be. This may sound crazy, but a voice in my head told me to go to Africa. So, I searched through all of the countries until I found the perfect one: Tanzania. Before my arrival, I had zero expectations. Why? Because expectations lead to disappointments. Throughout my time here, I have learned more than I could've ever imagined, I have met some of the most incredible people, and I have done an immense amount of self-reflection. Coming to Moshi has opened my eyes wider than they've ever before, thus changing my life for the better. I cannot thank African Impact enough for everything they've done for me and there are no words to be able to stress enough how much I recommend an experience like this to every individual. If the stars align, I will be back. Maybe not to volunteer again, but to visit, for sure. xoxo

Wonderful opportunity

My experience here has been really enlightening. I've had the opportunity to be a part of different projects that have taught me a lot about community development and sustainability. I've been fortunate enough to have met and worked with some very inspirational people.

Never underestimate the impact you have on people

It has been only two weeks at the volunteer house at African Impact in Moshi and Many weeks too short. I feel so undone.....sentimental already and hungry for more. The power of the impact we can have on people and their ability to succeed is unbelievable. The Power of encouraging words- even outspoken in foreign language - are truly heart -felt and create miracles. Attention-giving, acknowledging and noticing the slightest accomplishments makes human being thrive in any environment. Connection and relating. SMILING. Making others to feel worthy of receiving so they can grant that permission to themselves and extend to others. List is endless of making miracles each step of our journey. Being here only reassured my belief that there is truly no action to small to make a difference.
So although it feels like I barley scratched the surface I also have this fuzzy feeling of igniting change that will carry on and reassure faith and goodness in the world. Hope to see many of YOU walking this path with me!

Amazing project where you actually feel needed every day

If you truly want to get involved with a community and feel like you're a part of something great, this is the place for you. The staff and the projects are all incredible and you will feel welcome every day. You really get to make this experience into what you want it to be, and you will for sure feel like you're doing something important when you see the smile on the Wazee's faces and the curiosity in the eyes of your students. A once in a lifetime experience that will leave you thinking.

Awesome experience in Moshi

I have volunteered with African Impact for 5 weeks in the Girl impact project and the experience was amazing. I had the opportunity to really interact with the local community and work on various activities: teaching English, supporting female entrepreneur, delivering girl impact project on primary school and school for the deaf. In the weekend there are a lots of tours that you can do to ensure you will make the most of your stay with African Impact in Moshi.

Good sustainable education project

I enjoyed and appreciated my time with African Impact Moshi to the point that it was very difficult to leave. The education project is well organised and well received by the community. The only negative point I can make is that Girl Impact was described to me as an entirely different project to the education project, which isn't how it seemed upon commencement of the project. This is a minuscule criticism, however, as I was encouraged to actively explore my areas of interest, enabling me to work more closely with the women that attend classes ran under the education project. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful, and the social layout of the house means friendships with other volunteers are forged very quickly. I would not hesitate to come back in the future.

Amazing project!

I absolutely loved my time with African Impact in Moshi. I signed up for the Girl Empowerment Project. However, there was ample flexibility to become involved with a large range of projects, which allowed me to get a real flavour of the work done across the board. I felt I was fully able to immerse myself in the culture, partly thanks to experiencing all walks of life in the various projects I was involved with.

Importantly for me, the atmosphere in the volunteer house was extremely welcoming. As soon as we arrived, it was clear that everyone was extremely passionate about the work they were doing, so much so that it was impossible to distinguish volunteers from staff members. Our roommate was incredibly welcoming, also, and showed us the ropes for the first few days which helped us settle in smoothly. We were also able to go on excursions on the weekends with the other volunteers -- these would be organised by African Impact, after we selected from a huge range, which made it extremely simple.

An unforgettable experience

I've really enjoyed my time with African Impact. The whole experience has been incredible and I just wish I were here longer. I got to teach English to locals, both in a foundation class and an advanced class. I also got to teach computer skills. I feel that although I was only here for two weeks, I still made an impact on the projects I was involved in. I've met some incredibly generous people in the locals. African Impact also provided some tours which are not necessarily over-touristy - we got to experience genuine and true culture and it was far better than I could have hoped for.

A must-do experience for all

From a variety of ages, cultures and nationalities, the experience of teaching Moshi locals with African Impact (especially young women) is a fantastic eye-opener to importance and value of women's empowerment and teaching abroad. It enables students as well as the volunteers to learn so much.

Girl impact, Moshi Tanzania

What an incredible experience. The secondary school activities were a great opportunity to spread awareness about gender equality. The WaKipa women also demonstrated progress in terms of women generating their own income and creating a life for themselves by working together and alongside African Impact. I hope to see more activities and lessons regarding female empowerment, particularly in secondary schools and primary schools. Girls need to know at a young age that they can aspire to become whatever they want to achieve and that gender should not be considered a barrier for their dreams or goals. Thank you African Impact for making progress and continue doing what you're doing!

Engaging Moshi

This experience was overwhelming in both positive and negative ways. The Moshi community is beautiful and the volunteers are kind and exceptional. However, being on this trip has caused me to think critically about the fine line between community engagement and voluntourism. I learned how easy it is to turn what could be a phenomenal opportunity to expand the global community into allowing uneducated students, admittedly like myself, to seize employment opportunities without the proper qualifications. African Impact is doing very cool stuff, but I would recommend to the administration that more attention be paid to the ethics behind swarms of young white adults flooding a foreign community in hopes of making a difference. While the intentions are pure and awesome, the impact may be somewhat damaging.

A Career Break That Changed My Story

I am a 35 year old woman from New York City who was climbing the corporate ladder at a Fortune 500 male dominated company, working constantly, always stressed out, and had reached a point where I felt unfulfilled and burnt out. Throughout my career I had mentored and coached women, and when I decided to take a career break, I knew helping girls and women is what I wanted to focus on. I believe within every woman is the power to write her story - she just needs to find it.
Coming here, I had to step outside of my comfort zone. I worked on a variety of projects from teaching nursery school and creating gender equality in the classroom, to educating and building confidence in teenage girls at NAFGEM and in secondary school, to leading seminars for the community to create awareness of women's issues, to working with a women's group to help them generate income. The projects have been unlike anything I've ever done, and I'm integrating into a local culture and learning so much about myself and what I am capable of.
Being here has opened my mind to thinking in new ways and inspired my imagination. So much of my previous life in this arena of empowering women has been reacting to and creating a plan to combat women's issues and gender inequality. Being here it is about thinking outside the box to change it, or even more powerful, to prevent it from starting. You really have to deconstruct how issues in society are created, and then rewind the clock and try to change the behavior and see how the result is impacted. It's such an empowering feeling to think that these projects could change the future of girls and women. The work is more rewarding than I thought possible.
I feel like one of the biggest gifts is getting to see the girls and women grow throughout the time on project, and know that you were able to help shape some of their story. In my own life, African Impact Moshi has written a major catalyst into my story, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds...