Girl Empowerment, Moshi, Tanzania
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Girl Empowerment, Moshi, Tanzania

Amazing project where you actually feel needed every day

If you truly want to get involved with a community and feel like you're a part of something great, this is the place for you. The staff and the projects are all incredible and you will feel welcome every day. You really get to make this experience into what you want it to be, and you will for sure feel like you're doing something important when you see the smile on the Wazee's faces and the curiosity in the eyes of your students. A once in a lifetime experience that will leave you thinking.

Awesome experience in Moshi

I have volunteered with African Impact for 5 weeks in the Girl impact project and the experience was amazing. I had the opportunity to really interact with the local community and work on various activities: teaching English, supporting female entrepreneur, delivering girl impact project on primary school and school for the deaf. In the weekend there are a lots of tours that you can do to ensure you will make the most of your stay with African Impact in Moshi.

Good sustainable education project

I enjoyed and appreciated my time with African Impact Moshi to the point that it was very difficult to leave. The education project is well organised and well received by the community. The only negative point I can make is that Girl Impact was described to me as an entirely different project to the education project, which isn't how it seemed upon commencement of the project. This is a minuscule criticism, however, as I was encouraged to actively explore my areas of interest, enabling me to work more closely with the women that attend classes ran under the education project. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful, and the social layout of the house means friendships with other volunteers are forged very quickly. I would not hesitate to come back in the future.

Amazing project!

I absolutely loved my time with African Impact in Moshi. I signed up for the Girl Empowerment Project. However, there was ample flexibility to become involved with a large range of projects, which allowed me to get a real flavour of the work done across the board. I felt I was fully able to immerse myself in the culture, partly thanks to experiencing all walks of life in the various projects I was involved with.

Importantly for me, the atmosphere in the volunteer house was extremely welcoming. As soon as we arrived, it was clear that everyone was extremely passionate about the work they were doing, so much so that it was impossible to distinguish volunteers from staff members. Our roommate was incredibly welcoming, also, and showed us the ropes for the first few days which helped us settle in smoothly. We were also able to go on excursions on the weekends with the other volunteers -- these would be organised by African Impact, after we selected from a huge range, which made it extremely simple.

An unforgettable experience

I've really enjoyed my time with African Impact. The whole experience has been incredible and I just wish I were here longer. I got to teach English to locals, both in a foundation class and an advanced class. I also got to teach computer skills. I feel that although I was only here for two weeks, I still made an impact on the projects I was involved in. I've met some incredibly generous people in the locals. African Impact also provided some tours which are not necessarily over-touristy - we got to experience genuine and true culture and it was far better than I could have hoped for.

Girl impact, Moshi Tanzania

What an incredible experience. The secondary school activities were a great opportunity to spread awareness about gender equality. The WaKipa women also demonstrated progress in terms of women generating their own income and creating a life for themselves by working together and alongside African Impact. I hope to see more activities and lessons regarding female empowerment, particularly in secondary schools and primary schools. Girls need to know at a young age that they can aspire to become whatever they want to achieve and that gender should not be considered a barrier for their dreams or goals. Thank you African Impact for making progress and continue doing what you're doing!

A must-do experience for all

From a variety of ages, cultures and nationalities, the experience of teaching Moshi locals with African Impact (especially young women) is a fantastic eye-opener to importance and value of women's empowerment and teaching abroad. It enables students as well as the volunteers to learn so much.

A Career Break That Changed My Story

I am a 35 year old woman from New York City who was climbing the corporate ladder at a Fortune 500 male dominated company, working constantly, always stressed out, and had reached a point where I felt unfulfilled and burnt out. Throughout my career I had mentored and coached women, and when I decided to take a career break, I knew helping girls and women is what I wanted to focus on. I believe within every woman is the power to write her story - she just needs to find it.
Coming here, I had to step outside of my comfort zone. I worked on a variety of projects from teaching nursery school and creating gender equality in the classroom, to educating and building confidence in teenage girls at NAFGEM and in secondary school, to leading seminars for the community to create awareness of women's issues, to working with a women's group to help them generate income. The projects have been unlike anything I've ever done, and I'm integrating into a local culture and learning so much about myself and what I am capable of.
Being here has opened my mind to thinking in new ways and inspired my imagination. So much of my previous life in this arena of empowering women has been reacting to and creating a plan to combat women's issues and gender inequality. Being here it is about thinking outside the box to change it, or even more powerful, to prevent it from starting. You really have to deconstruct how issues in society are created, and then rewind the clock and try to change the behavior and see how the result is impacted. It's such an empowering feeling to think that these projects could change the future of girls and women. The work is more rewarding than I thought possible.
I feel like one of the biggest gifts is getting to see the girls and women grow throughout the time on project, and know that you were able to help shape some of their story. In my own life, African Impact Moshi has written a major catalyst into my story, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds...

First experience, exceptional experience

This experience changed my point of view, my perspective in what really matters and taught me not to be afraid of new situations.
I will feel more confident in handling new topics and culturally aware that there are more paths that lead to happiness and success.

Engaging Moshi

This experience was overwhelming in both positive and negative ways. The Moshi community is beautiful and the volunteers are kind and exceptional. However, being on this trip has caused me to think critically about the fine line between community engagement and voluntourism. I learned how easy it is to turn what could be a phenomenal opportunity to expand the global community into allowing uneducated students, admittedly like myself, to seize employment opportunities without the proper qualifications. African Impact is doing very cool stuff, but I would recommend to the administration that more attention be paid to the ethics behind swarms of young white adults flooding a foreign community in hopes of making a difference. While the intentions are pure and awesome, the impact may be somewhat damaging.