Girl Empowerment, Cape Town, South Africa
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Girl Empowerment, Cape Town, South Africa

Girl empowerment through my eyes

Being able to make such an impact, not only for empowering girls, but also for educating boys, as you can't have one without the other; has left me looking back at this experience and feeling fulfilled. I feel like I left an impact, that I'm leaving something behind and I couldn't have been more happier for that. This experience has shown me how important the little things are in love and how some people can be happy, truly happy, without having that much. I have worked with kids, pregnant women, teenagers and people trying to prepare themselves for job interviews and everything that comes after that; and even if it has only been 2 weeks, I feel like they have inspired and impacted me more than I have did that to them. Also, all of the friends I've met here, all of the people I've met, not only in the wonderful Lion House, but the whole Obs, make me dread the day I have to return back home, as I wish I could stay here with them, in this very formation and moment, forever. I know, in the depth of my heart, that I am going to return here, probably sooner than you'd think, because after I've had a sip of how it feels to make the others happy, without wanting anything in return, I can't let it go. The people I've worked with are wonderful, creative and open-minded people, without whom this whole thing will not be running right now. It is truly an amazing place and it is something I am so glad I've had the chance to experience it.

Empower girls & yourself

Girl Empowerment project by African Impact is just an introduction to Girl impact world. Introduction leaving an impact in both, the communities you get involved with and yourself. With a little of your own eagerness and understanding of the circumstances the experience changes your perspectives and leaves you always looking for ways to make a change and empower other women.

Dreams that came true

it is a fantastic experience! the people are all so nice. you feel safe .besides the amazing projects, you have enough time for yourself for field trips or just relax. you will appreciate what we have! the people are so happy whit what they have.

Forever in my heart!

I will hold the African Impact Team, the people of Khayelitsha, South Africa..the rainbow nation in my heart forever. An incredible organization doing phenomenal work. I am so blessed I was able to do my part and I am forever changed. This is not goodbye, this is see you later because I WILL BE BACK!! Enkosi!

Cape Town is an amazing city

Cape Town is an amazing city. There are so many fun activities to do like paragliding, hiking and shopping at local markets and stores. I have made some beautiful new friends from all around the world. By far the best thing for me was working with the kids at Fikelela, their smiles and laughter have changed my world and it was super hard to leave them.

Best of both worlds

Volunteering with African Impact has been amazing, especially when you are based in Cape Town. You can put 5 days a week into the project and then still have down time on weekends doing touristy things! OVC and Girl Impact programs are both great projects that allow you to see two different aspects of the children living in Cape Town. You never really feel like you are volunteering when you are here because the days with the kids are so much fun!! I would recommend this project to anyone sitting on the fence about doing a volunteer project. Its honestly the best of both worlds!!

Volunteering in Cape town

it was one of the most challenging experiences I've been through. first day is tough but it gets better everyday until the point you don't want to leave. I was surprised by the accommodations and the food for better. Staff is great.

Amazing experience

I have loved every moment of my time here at African Impact. I was exceptionally nervous before coming but the warm welcome from the airport put me at ease straight away. It was so incredible to be part of a truly worthwhile organisation that aims to achieve sustainability within its communities. From the children and adults in the communities, to other volunteers to the staff, everyone was exceptionally friendly and accepting that I have felt like I have been part of a new family! Anyone with a slight inclination to come I would say do it!

Life-changing experience in Cape Town

I spent 3 weeks on the Sport Development and Girl Impact Projects in Cape Town and it was a completely life-changing experience. I truly felt that the work we did every day in the communities made a difference, and it left me feeling hopeful and optimistic about the future of the children that we work with. I didn't think 3 weeks could change me as much as it did, but I feel like a new, better person and I hope that the kids that I worked, played, sang and danced with every day feel the same! I can't wait to come back and continue this incredible work.

Two weeks with girl impact & teaching

My time with African Impact was a completely unforgettable experience for all the right reasons. It was easy to make friends here and feel part of the team which was something I was really nervous about before starting. Sometimes I did feel a bit guilty about only being able to stay for two weeks because I felt it wasn't long enough to make a sustainable impact, but the structure of African Impact is largely focused on sustainability so it was always comforting to remember that and realize that even if it didn't feel like it I was making an active contribution to something greater. I was kept busy but the time still flew by and every minute made up a life changing experience that I would recommend to anyone.

Great Experience !

Overall the experience was super insightful and wonderful, I learned so much about South Africa and worked with some amazing children. The rules and expectations of the projects were explained clearly and although project days were long they were also very fulfilling.

10/10 would recommend

I had many doubts about staying in Africa without my family but after two weeks I wish I had the time to extend my stay. I wholeheartedly believe this experience not only made this summer the best yet but will set me apart in future endeavors.

4 Weeks with African Impact Cape town

Arriving in Cape Town to volunteer with AI, I was really nervous about what to expect. However, once I got to our accommodation I felt relaxed and welcome in my temporary home! The staff were so friendly, the house cozy and my fellow volunteers were enthusiastic to meet new people. I had an incredible 4 weeks on project, volunteering in a emergency foster home for children and working with a variety of groups of people through the Girl Impact initiative. Being located in such an amazing place, we had the opportunity to see so much of Cape Town and the surrounding areas on our free weekends. Whether it was going on a two-day safari a few hours away, or staying local and following the trusted advice of the staff and volunteers to head to the food markets, we really made the most of all of our time. I would highly recommend this project to anyone who is looking for both a fun adventure and a really rewarding experience. I have learned so much in the few short weeks that I've been here, and I know this experience will stay with me for the rest of my life.

My experience on the girl impact project

When I was looking for a project I wanted to do something in which I was interested in and Women's Empowerment and Teaching perfectly ticked the boxed. There were many options that did them separately but African Impact was able to give me what I wanted - combined. My experience here has been miles better than I ever thought it would be and any question that I ever had was quickly and answered with detail and the staff were always there to give recommendations or advice. My time out on project was more than I ever asked for, I met children both girls and boys of mixed age and the activities which I participated ranged from day to day. Before I came, I was anxious about travelling as an individual and living in a volunteer house, but most people here were also in the same boat and living together made the experience, as soon as I arrived on the Monday I felt like part of the African Impact family. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, the range of people you meet both at the volunteer house and those on project are people, plus the memories I've made will never be forgotten.

Lifechanging experience

2 weeks were absolutely not enough, I wish I had stayed longer. I loved every day I spent in the lion house, people were amazing and the kids absolutely lovely. Everything is perfectly organized, and you really at home

Sarah durning

I volunteered with African Impact for 4 weeks in Cape Town on the Girl Impact and OVC Projects. African Impact is an excellent organization with clear goals and motives working towards the 17 Global Goals for sustainability.

Loved it!

Volunteering through African Impact is something that you have to experience for yourself to know how rewarding working on these projects really are. I have gained so much confidence whilst here and have completely fallen in love with Cape Town. I'll be taking my experience home and applying it to my youth work studies and planning my return the second I touch down in Melbourne! Unforgettable three weeks, loved it!

African Impact

Well run organization, friendly staff, lots of support for volunteers. Unfortunately I had to cut my time with them short because I got very sick while on project, but they were very helpful setting up a doctor appointment for me and providing support as I changed my travel plans. They want volunteers to feel connected and invested in their projects, so they give you a lot of freedom and creativity for you to plan the project itineraries yourself.

Happiest three weeks of my life

Doing the girl impact and teaching projects with African Impact was unforgettable. The breadth of girl impact saw us being welcome into peoples' homes in Khayelitsha to being with my peers talking about relevant youth problems at Quirky 30 in Langa. Teaching makes the smallest things feel like big achievements like 5 year olds learning to write the number 8. Cape Town itself is stunning wherever you are with so much to do - definitely recommend staying as long as possible, you will not want to leave!

Girl impact and teaching - Cape Town, Lion house

When volunteering with African Impact you know that the work you are doing is sustainable and will affect the children's lives greatly and for the better. Working with children and young adults on a range of projects is a once in a life-time opportunity and volunteering with the backdrop of Cape Town is quite unparalleled.

African Impact Rave

I absolutely loved my time volunteering with African Impact in South Africa. Upon return to The United States, I am confident that I will continue to cherish all of my experiences here with the local communities and with my fellow volunteers. I felt completely at home in the volunteer house and loved every single person on staff. There was never a boring moment and I have learned more than I could have ever imagined from my time here. Amazing conversations, beautiful sunsets, lots of dancing, and beautiful surroundings! I would 100% recommend working with African Impact and visiting Cape Town.

Two weeks of summer of in Cape Town

I spent two weeks of my summer vacation with African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa. I was nervous about this new experience but it was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. I worked on two projects, Girl Impact and Orphaned and Vulnerable Care. I had a blast working with the little ones and the work I did here was long-term and sustainable. And I knew that everything I did here went to a big scale goal (these quarterly plans can be found in the living room). The staff is passionate, organised, and driven; they made the experience all the better. The people I met from all over the world were incredible, and every local I met was friendly and welcoming. Cape Town is an incredible city, every meal was outstanding and our weekends were fun filled with different activities of our choice. Two weeks was no where near enough time, and I will definitely​ be back.

Amazing experience in Cape Town

I spent two weeks with African Impact in Cape Town. I knew it before I arrived, but now I can confirm it: 2 weeks are not enough! I worked on the Girl Impact Project, combined with Teaching. It was an amazing experience to work together with the local teachers and see the smiling faces of all those amazing kids. I know that my contribution hasn't ended with me leaving: all volunteers work on building a path that future volunteers will follow too, so that we all work in sustainable goals.
I felt at home since the moment I crossed the door, everyone from the staff was so welcoming and the other volunteers were just the best! We bonded so quickly and felt like we were a family!
Cape Town is a beautiful city and there is so much to explore. If it's your first time here, plan at least 3 weeks, because you are involved with the project almost fully during the week and weekends are the only time you can actually explore the city.
If you are considering doing this, don't think it twice!

Summer volunteering in Cape Town

I spent two weeks of my summer vacation with African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa. After my first day on project, I knew two weeks would be too short. I worked on two projects Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Girl Impact. In everything I did, I knew my work was contributing to larger, long-term, and sustainable goals (which can be found on the wall in the living room). The work I did was not only effective but always full of laughs and hugs. The house is clean and cozy, and the food prepared for the volunteers daily is incredible. The staff welcomed me with open arms and made me incredibly comfortable immediately. They are hard workers and passionate people and it was a pleasure to work side by side with them. Cape Town is an incredible place and my weekends were jam packed exploring the city and having amazing food while meeting amazing people. I cannot recommend African Impact enough, and would recommend going for 3 weeks at minimum.

Great impact!!!

It was a great experience, totally recommendable for anyone looking to help others and/or contribute with society. Personally it was a dream come true and I hope I get to come to Cape Town again to a similar project.