Girl Empowerment, Cape Town, South Africa
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Girl Empowerment, Cape Town, South Africa

Happiest three weeks of my life

Doing the girl impact and teaching projects with African Impact was unforgettable. The breadth of girl impact saw us being welcome into peoples' homes in Khayelitsha to being with my peers talking about relevant youth problems at Quirky 30 in Langa. Teaching makes the smallest things feel like big achievements like 5 year olds learning to write the number 8. Cape Town itself is stunning wherever you are with so much to do - definitely recommend staying as long as possible, you will not want to leave!

Girl impact and teaching - Cape Town, Lion house

When volunteering with African Impact you know that the work you are doing is sustainable and will affect the children's lives greatly and for the better. Working with children and young adults on a range of projects is a once in a life-time opportunity and volunteering with the backdrop of Cape Town is quite unparalleled.

African Impact Rave

I absolutely loved my time volunteering with African Impact in South Africa. Upon return to The United States, I am confident that I will continue to cherish all of my experiences here with the local communities and with my fellow volunteers. I felt completely at home in the volunteer house and loved every single person on staff. There was never a boring moment and I have learned more than I could have ever imagined from my time here. Amazing conversations, beautiful sunsets, lots of dancing, and beautiful surroundings! I would 100% recommend working with African Impact and visiting Cape Town.

Two weeks of summer of in Cape Town

I spent two weeks of my summer vacation with African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa. I was nervous about this new experience but it was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. I worked on two projects, Girl Impact and Orphaned and Vulnerable Care. I had a blast working with the little ones and the work I did here was long-term and sustainable. And I knew that everything I did here went to a big scale goal (these quarterly plans can be found in the living room). The staff is passionate, organised, and driven; they made the experience all the better. The people I met from all over the world were incredible, and every local I met was friendly and welcoming. Cape Town is an incredible city, every meal was outstanding and our weekends were fun filled with different activities of our choice. Two weeks was no where near enough time, and I will definitely​ be back.

Summer volunteering in Cape Town

I spent two weeks of my summer vacation with African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa. After my first day on project, I knew two weeks would be too short. I worked on two projects Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Girl Impact. In everything I did, I knew my work was contributing to larger, long-term, and sustainable goals (which can be found on the wall in the living room). The work I did was not only effective but always full of laughs and hugs. The house is clean and cozy, and the food prepared for the volunteers daily is incredible. The staff welcomed me with open arms and made me incredibly comfortable immediately. They are hard workers and passionate people and it was a pleasure to work side by side with them. Cape Town is an incredible place and my weekends were jam packed exploring the city and having amazing food while meeting amazing people. I cannot recommend African Impact enough, and would recommend going for 3 weeks at minimum.

An incredible experience

My time here at African Impact has been immersive, educational, and a lot of fun. I truly feel that working here as a volunteer has had as much of an impact on myself as I have on project. I have fallen in love with all of the wonderful people I've had the pleasure to work with at the Fikelela orphanage and on the various Girl Impact projects, and have been continuously inspired by them and all of the other volunteers I have met here.

The best volunteer experience!

My time at African Impact has been some of the greatest weeks of my life. It's not my first time volunteering in South Africa, and while my previous experience was great, no organization cannot compare to African Impact. I participated in two programs, Teaching and Girl Impact. The programs are well-coordinated by staff, and still allow for volunteers to be creative, plan activities and bring their own unique approach (I played guitar almost every morning and afternoon on project). You truly feel that the work you do makes a majorly positive and sustainable impact on the communities you work with.

I volunteered with my mom, which was an incredible bonding experience! In addition, every person in the house, staff and volunteers, are so incredibly warm, kind and fun! I've now got tons of friends from all over the world. The volunteer house is in a really cool area, just a block away from independent shops and cafes. There are loads of options for weekend activities (everything from hiking Table Mountain to shark cage diving)!

Overall, my time volunteering with African Impact has taught me so much. The teachers and caregivers at the projects are my heroes, and give me such inspiration to continue to support the communities, both on-project and from home. I cannot wait to come back to African Impact! The only problem I'll have will be deciding whether to volunteer at the same programs, which I love, or to try something new!

Impact my heart

African Impact met all of my expectations and more. I feel very honoured to have played a small role in the many worthwhile projects. Not only meeting the wonderful children --but working with their teachers and caregivers, the ai staff and my 20 odd co- volunteers-- i was inspired and happy every day. Every day marked at least one special, tug-at-my-heart moment. I cannot recommend coming to this project (s) enough! Come for 3-4 weeks minimum.

Lionshouse in 5 weeks

The ambiance in our house was great. A lot of lovely people, with the same mission + lovely team of African Impact. The beds and rooms can have a touch more for comfy nights. But it's was okay for my 5 weeks her and it's always different then real home.
I feel said to leave because all of my homies are great, also the staff members from AI, they let you feel this is your second home. And they are around you for 24/7 if you need something. I came alone to capetown but i'm never feel alone in this house with so many people around me.

African Impact Cape Town

My time at African Impact Cape Town was two of the most amazing weeks of my life. My only mistake was not booking for a longer period of time! The staff, other volunteers and projects were great. Cape Town is a beautiful city and the people who live here are some of the nicest I have met. Would recommend highly.

Awesome time in Cape Town

Staff is incredible, projects are well organized, and the other volunteers come from all around the world and have been such lovely, down-to-Earth people to get to know. A good mixture between structure and independence - weekdays 8-5:30 are committed to the projects but all other time is free. Nice living environment in a cozy house all together. Would definitely recommend!

Why you should take a gap year to have the most amazing time with African Impact in Cape Town

Hey everyone! whoever saw my young age and was wondering what I'm doing in South Africa, volunteering on my own, should continue reading this little review to understand me and to maybe be convinced to follow my journey.
When I arrived in the house i felt welcomed from the first second and strangers turned into my best friends very quick. You going to live together with so many people during your stay who are much older/ younger than you and who may be totally different to you but the lionhouse teaches you to get to know these people and to look deep to find out that they are actually the nicest people.
Apart from the living situation, lets talk about my volunteer experiences. I volunteered for orphaned and vulnerable children in the morning and for girl Impact in the afternoon. I enjoyed both projects but my heart lied with Girl Impact! I feel like I this project is the one where you can make the biggest impact. I would recommend to stay for at least 6 weeks on girl impact to get to know the children and build trust because you are going to talk to them about quite personal topics.
As well as the social skills I earned, I learned to be more independent and aware of my environment.

Don't be afraid and take this journey to see the prettiest city, to make long lasting friendships and to give your whole stay a meaningful reason!

Volunteering in Cape Town with African Impact

Having previously volunteered with African Impact I already knew that they were doing amazing work and wouldn't have considered booking with any other company. I The great thing with the Cape Town project is that they offer project combinations, therefore I was able to spend the mornings teaching at 2 different pre-schools and the afternoons working with local groups in the community as a girl impact volunteer. Every day was new and exciting and there was constant support from the team members throughout my entire stay. I was lucky enough to visit most of the Cape Town projects and adored all aspects of each one. I will never forget my time here; the love and acceptance from and for the other volunteers and the team, not to mention the open hearts of the people we were working with in the communities.

My epic experience

It's honestly the hardest thing leaving the Lion House. Not only the amazing people that you meet that become your family, but also the staff. I have never come across a more successful and sustainable organisation. The African Impact team in Cape Town is truly amazing and i cannot recommend it enough to future volunteers. You get everything; social life, scenery, helping others, a new family, the list is actually endless. Leaving Cape Town with a huge hand out because i know that the amazing work that everyone contributes, will continue to grow and grow. I was lucky enough to encounter one of the most amazing sessions ever on my last day, which will forever be in my heart - giving a dance group of girls a pack of sanitary items, which someone kindly donated. The children/young adults, have so much but the smiles that you receive just from you being present is priceless. This experience is one to never forget, and i am so glad that i got to give out to those who are in need.

Amazing time!

I had an incredible time- the people are amazing, the volunteer work is amazing, and the location is amazing. I became really close with some of the other volunteers, every weekend was super fun and exciting, and the volunteer work was really rewarding. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Great experience in an amazing city

I've had a great volunteering experience with African Impact in Cape Town. The experience included an eye-opening volunteering project as well as the possibility to discover Cape Town and surroundings during weekends/evenings. I also met amazing people from all over the world (you share a house with the other volunteers) which just adds yet an additional layer of awesomeness and personnel development to the overall experience.

Time in Cape Town

I have feel so privileged to be involved with both OVC and GI. GI in particular has been very fulfilling as the range of projects allows you to feel that you are having an impact in lots of diff ways.

AI volunteer abroad review

It have been an amazing time as a volunteer I had a very good time I think the program is very good and very well organized, I think even if it is difficult been so far away from home I feel I learned more about how does actually works an organization and their impacts and goals and I have an amazing experience working with people, especially with children.

African Impact - Cape Town project

African Impact has been a wonderful experience all the way through. The organization was incredibly helpful and informative throughout the booking process. Upon arrival they were nothing short of welcoming and kind. I truly felt like I was a part of the family during my stay in Cape Town. I was able to experience life in the projects beyond my wildest imagination and could truly see the impact and difference I was able to make as part of the team working as part of the Girl Impact team.

Sophie's experiences in Cape Town

This experience was amazing and even more !!!! STAFF are welcoming and make you feel like home ( even if you aren't a native english speaker ) Also, the volunteers that you work with become your friends! The project gives you more than all your expectations. You will meet children who want to share knowledge and give you so much love and affection. Moreover, grannies who make such a great job with the children and you learn so much from them. It was an unforgettable experience and I'm looking forward to come back.

Second time around

As a returning volunteer I felt anxiety coming back to Cape Town. I was worried nothing could match or top my first experience with African Impact. I was wrong. I cannot explain the love I feel for these people and this place. I'll be back. (Again)

The Lionhouse

African Impact in Capetown (Observatory) was the best organisation that i've could pick for my volunteerwork. The staff was so welcoming, such a warm group, with a really clear vision about how to represent their selves on projects. They made sure everything was clear for the volunteers and they put so much energy en positive vibes in the house. They made sure everybody had a smile on their face. The projects were amazing, for everybody something. And again....this organisation makes a difference, because they have this clear vision and think about their effect and their aims. Thanks to this amazing organisation and all of the staff. They inspire people!!

I'm a hummingbird and you should be one too!

So basically volunteering at African Impact was the best thing I could've ever done. Being part of teaching the children at the preschool and seeing them smile and progress every day was turning every day in a good one. Being impressed by the principal, the teachers and all the other staff how they manage caring for these children day to day and teaching and therefore preparing the children for their future life, even with low resources, made the school so special to me and made me want to go there every day with so much motivation.
Now Girl Impact, where to start? Teaching the Mommas english was one of the funniest and special things ever. Seeing them laugh at us, each other but overall with us and enjoying that we teach them made every Tuesday so great! First you might think, isn't it gonna be awkward if we young people try to tech them something? It definitely is not. they're enjoying it so much and they are so eager to learn. And by the way, I'm pretty sure they'll teach you as least as much as you taught them, even if they don't realize it, you will! Being at the Girls and Boys Club will change you in your view of things and will fill you with so much joy! And last but not least the most special Fridays I've ever had. Dance Group will change your mind and hard so deeply you might not realize at first sight. A bunch of people of children over teens and grown ups, will make you laugh, deeply think of stuff and change you in the way you see things. They'll make you for sure happy, laugh and transform you in a positive way.
And being here in the Lionhouse with all these amazing volunteers and staff is a big, big, big plus. Everyone who stays here will for sure make friends for life, either with the most amazing staff or the other volunteers, enjoy every weekend and evening and having the most fun in your free time. Seeing the people around you evolving will make you realize how you evolved. And these people will be the ones who will truly understand your experiences and will always remember them with you. And coming back to the staff, they'll prevent you from feeling homesick as they're making Africa your home. Make sure you don't miss out on these amazing, caring, impressive and fun people!
So as you can see I'm struggling at some points to put everything in words because it's not possible, so to make it short: if you want to have an impact on other's people life and want to help and you don't refuse to be taught in many things and be changed in a positive way and you want to have one of the best experiences you'll ever get in your life, be a hummingbird as I've been, be one of the small persons that might not change the whole world but will definitely change the world for some people and your own. - Be a hummingbird, open your wings and fly out the world to have your impact and meet the most amazing people with and at African Impact!

mikayla horvat

Volunteering through African Impact is something that you have to experience for yourself to know how rewarding working on these projects really are. I have gained so much confidence whilst here and have completely fallen in love with Cape Town. I'll be taking my experience home and applying it to my youth work studies and planning my return the second I touch down in Melbourne! Unforgettable three weeks, loved it!

Amazing experience in Cape Town

I spent two weeks with African Impact in Cape Town. I knew it before I arrived, but now I can confirm it: 2 weeks are not enough! I worked on the Girl Impact Project, combined with Teaching. It was an amazing experience to work together with the local teachers and see the smiling faces of all those amazing kids. I know that my contribution hasn't ended with me leaving: all volunteers work on building a path that future volunteers will follow too, so that we all work in sustainable goals.
I felt at home since the moment I crossed the door, everyone from the staff was so welcoming and the other volunteers were just the best! We bonded so quickly and felt like we were a family!
Cape Town is a beautiful city and there is so much to explore. If it's your first time here, plan at least 3 weeks, because you are involved with the project almost fully during the week and weekends are the only time you can actually explore the city.
If you are considering doing this, don't think it twice!