Dolphin & Marine Conservation in Zanzibar
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Dolphin & Marine Conservation in Zanzibar

Amazing time

Thank you very much for this amazing experience and the friendly atmosphere. I really enjoyed my stay here and I got a lot back for myself and my life after the volunteering. It was awesome to see the dolphins daily and do some research for a better future.

Amazing experience

A life changing experience - amazing culture, excellent food, energetic students and very friendly volunteers and staff. Helping students to learn English and through that maybe find a job/better job it's one of the most accomplishing feelings I had so far.

Amazing time with the wonderful dolphins and whales of Zanibar

I had the opportunity here to fulfill one of my dreams : work with and for the dolphins. And the best reward : a peaceful swim with twenty friendly dolphins and an amazing whale show. Asante sana pomboo !

An amazing experience!

I did the Marine Conservation project in Zanzibar and I loved every second of it. We got to do so much and everyday seemed to be a blur. I saw so many dolphins and I felt I was actually making an impact with the research we were doing. The people here are absolutely amazing and I couldn't imagine a better experience with them.

A truer look of Zanzibar

Living right next to a local community allowed me to have a true taste of the local community and I am super grateful that I can help to make a change to the living condition of the dolphins here in Zanzibar. As someone who is interested in food and regional produce, I found the tropical fruits, potatoes, and tomatoes here to be some of the best I have ever had.

Experience at Zanzibar

I was having a really good experience here at Zanzibar, working with Harry, Lisa and another volunteer, this is a live-long experience and I will never forget it. I was awesome! Swim with dolphins and able to go for coral reef research is fabulous!!!

Trip of a lifetime!

I was in Zanzibar for 4 weeks and absolutely loved every second of it. The project was fun and engaging, the staff were friendly and informative and the accommodations were incredible. I mean the house is a 20 second walk to the beach, what more can you ask for?! I would highly recommend this project.

Excellent and rewarding volunteer experience in East Africa

The program is run in a very professional way - the responsible team are highly motivated, flexible and also fun to get along with. The approach is quite holistic, extends into teaching and educating the local community on a broader scale. The organization is held in very high regard by the local people - for good reason indeed.

Amazing trip

I would do it all over again :) I have learned so many things here in Zanzibar and I could see much more than only the touristic attractions. I could discover the life of the local people and see things I would never have seen as a tourist. It was such a pleasure to be part of this project and the managers are doing their best to help the people here in Zanzibar. I'm so thankful for the experience I got here!

My experience on marine project

Overall I had a great time. Did lots of fun things on the Island. Staff organised things well and were all easy going and friendly. People on Island are probably the most friendly people I've ever met which created a cool vibe. Would strongly recommend it!

Marine conservation dolphin research program

The Marine Conservation and Dolphin research Program was very informative and engaging. The monitoring sessions are a great way to learn about dolphins and their behaviour, as well as seeing firsthand the imapct of the tourisim industry on them.

Marine conservation review

What an amazing project this is! If you love dolphins and marine life and the idea of living in an African community you will really love this project. For me, just going out and watching the dolphins every day is a blessing. They never fail to make me laugh, smile or even cry sometimes. I feel the information we observe is applicable and useful, consequently I feel I am making a difference. The approach and structure of the project is great as it carries so much variety and is mindful of the community, tourists and dolphins. We try to integrate the three as much as possible, and work out a collaborative solution that would suit all parties. I have learnt a lot from thinking like this.

The days are action packed so your time here will go very quickly! If you are quite independent and have traveled alone before I would say be more wary of this project as you are consistently with the group and the timetable is quite set in and strict.But this means you get to do a variety of activities. Every day (except Fridays and weekends) we go out on the boat and monitor dolphin tourism activity in the morning. Other activities involve lesson planning, thinking of ideas for boat workshops, snorkelling for coral reef surveys, teaching teenagers in conservayion club. My manager also asked me to write an article for the monthly newsletter. I was so shocked by the dolphin tours it inspired e to do something about it so I am making my own short documentary about it. Should be up within the first few months of posting this review so if you would like to see it here is the YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/user/Bethcrawford123.

There is plenty to do on the weekends and lots of resorts you can go and sunbathe at. Everyone is really friendly and the staff are nice too. I am running short on time but to sum it up I have had a great few weeks and would definitely recommend this experience to any dolphin lovers out therewho was a fun and peaceful experience in African culture.

Ruby Hornsby review

In my first two weeks, I stayed in Jambiani. Here I would travel to Kizimkazi to work during the day and then return each day. There is a lot of night life including beach bars to go to which play music and have bonfires, which is very social as one can integrate themselves with the local people who are very welcoming. Furthermore, the beach is beautiful and was amazing to swim in whilst watching the sun go down and the sky turn pick! Overall, it was very sociable as we were able to socialise with the volunteers from the Teaching projects. Weekends were also perfect here- the freedom to go to the bars (including red monkey and coral rock) to party and drink, with a very late curfew of 6am and then return as we wish with just a few minute walk back. We also travelled to neighbouring towns/ villages for the Full Moon Party (i would recommend! Stay up all night and end up on a yacht in the morning!...Don't ask haha) I recommend Coral Rock- the pool is an infinity one and you feel as though you're in paradise.. try the chocolate milkshake too.

My remaining two weeks I lived in Kizimkazi. This is a small fishing village with very going on in the evenings. My project leader Lisa, worked very hard to us to all feel cosy and happy in our new home, which included bringing a projector to watch movies against the white wall. In the evenings, I suggested to make it more fun, they should introduce late night snorkelling sessions, taking a boat out to watch the sunset and snorkel in the dark- this would make the most of the environment we are in. After all, the bay in filled with boats! The beach isn't one to sunbathe on, but there are beautiful steps leading to the sea which we walked down to take a swim in whilst the sun was setting. There is a bar (although not busy- there is alcohol) that has an outdoor shower, underneath the trees, over looking the sunset- very stunning. Up the road to the house, there is also a hotel- again not very busy.. but you should bring the party, right? Here there is a huge pool, again over looking the sea. There is a hammock to chill on, and a small bar and restaurant here too. There is also another hotel on the neighbouring side of the beach, which has awesome chill out spots, a lovely shop and again, most importantly a bar.

To conclude, this trip has been amazing. The work is so varying: monitoring the dolphins whilst out on the boat, teaching and preparing lessons for the boat drivers (promoting better business skills and ethical tours) who are adults, contrasting with the age of our conservation club students who we teach lessons too, involving topics such as land pollution/ Eco-bricking etc. We also monitor and record the fish the fisherman catch to ensure this is being done sustainably, giving you the opportunity to see a variety of different exotic and huge fish! Others activities such as swimming in with the dolphins at times when no other tourists are around, enabling you to dive down right next to them; visiting a beautiful sand bank (only accessible via a boat) where we have a local lunch and snorkel around the coral reef which again houses an abundant variety of sea creatures; local tours of the Kizimakazi village (which includes viewing the Mosk, an underground cave and the locals work etc); and finally going out every Wednesday for a local meal which entails going to the house of a teacher for example, who lives in the village, providing a small income for them, and enjoying an amazing meal that they have prepared, which of course we eat sitting down and with our hands!)- these are all just thrown in for good measure. Not to mention the weekends, filled with sunshine, freedom, parties, many different excursions depending on what suits you best- including, ethical turtles sanctuaries, kite surfing, scuba diving, prison island tour, stone town- slave trade museum, spice tour and the list goes on!!!

Zanzibar did me good and I have loved every second, as you will too.

A wonderful experience!

I had two amazing weeks here in Zanzibar and wish I could stay here longer. The project I chose was dolphin conservation, and I am a biology major. I'm so happy that I could use my lab skills during volunteering, it was a fantastic experience. People (locals and staff) here are all very nice and welcoming. It's such a pity that I could only spend two weeks with them, which makes me want to be here again sometime in the future.

Amazing experience

Voor het eerst alleen op reis, spannend maar het was amazing. Het project was wel anders dan ik van te voren had verwacht. Ik had gedacht continu met dolfijnen research bezig te zijn, dit is niet zo en misschien ook niet haalbaar. Daarvoor in de plaats wel leuke andere activiteiten gedaan. De fishmarket monetoren, bizar hoeveel verschillende vissen je voorbij ziet komen, in alle soorten en maten. En op donderdag concervation club. Een club kids tussen de 13-16 lesgeven over hoe goed om te gaan met de natuur, ocean.

Ik trof het ontzettend met de groep vrijwilligers, met zn zessen een fantastische tijd gehad. Je woont samen met de vrijwilligers van het teachprogram. Samen met een ander meisje zaten wij op het dolfijnenproject. Savonds en in het weekend veel gezamelijke dingen gedaan. Super. De 3 weken vlogen voorbij.

Wat ik jammer vond aan het project zelf is dat het toch voor mijn gevoel veel wachten en veel “niks” doen is. Ik ben graag hard aan het werk, dat moest ik wel even uitschakelen dat alles hier op zn Afrikaans gaat, dus polepole. Wat mij betreft mag je vrijwilligers wel meer verantwoordelijkheid geven, maar dat ligt misschien ook aan de leeftijd van de vrijwilligers die in het project zijn.

Leuk dat we 2x in de week Swahili les kregen, zo kan je toch een beetje een gesprek openen in Swahili.

Ik denk wel dat het project nog grote stappen kan maken in de organisatie om de vrijwilligers nog een betere tijd te geven. Maar ik denk dat het ook ligt aan je leeftijd. Iemand van 17/18 heeft meer structuur nodig dan iemand van 27 of ouder.

Overall echt een super toffe tijd gehad. Toffe mensen, leuke dingen gedaan, dofijnen gezien, gezwommen, op safari geweest, Stone town leuke stad om lekker doorheen te zwerven.

Je leert veel, super toffe experience.

For the first time traveling alone, exciting but it worths. The project was different than I expected beforehand. I thought that we be constantly busy with dolphin research, this is not and maybe not feasible. Previously done some nice activities in the locality. The fishmarket monitoring activities, bizarre how many fish you see passing by, of all shapes and sizes. And on Thursday conservation club. Teaching kids between 13-16 about how to properly deal with nature, ocean, a good way for dolphin tourism, how to deal with pollution.

I had a very nice group of volunteers, with in six had a fantastic time. You live with the volunteers of the teach program. Together with another girl, did we theDolphin project. Sorting and done a lot of common things on the weekends. Super. The three weeks flew by.

What I felt pity on the project itself is that I had sometimes the feeling that is was a lot waiting and lots to do "nothing". I like working hard that I had to just turn off that everything goes African, so pole pole. For me it's okay to give volunteers more responsibility, but that is perhaps the age of the volunteers in the project.

Glad we got 2x a week Swahili lesson, so you can still open a little conversation in Swahili.

I think that the project can make great strides in the organization to give the volunteers a better time. But I think it also depends on your age. Someone 17/18 needs more structure than someone 27 or older.

Overall I had really a very nice time. Nice people, nice things done, seen dolphins, swam, went on safari, Stone town nice town to wander through tasty.

You learn a lot, super cool experience.

My experience in Zanzibar

I really enjoyed these two weeks of being a volunteer in the marine project. I learned so much about marine wildlife in Zanzibar and in the ocean in general. Within this short period of time we saw a lot of beautiful and impressing marine wildlife, we met great people within the project and from the local village and we had a great community within our house.
To see and experience how local people master their daily life, how the kids behave in school and how friendly the local people are was amazing. I never expected to experience and to learn so much and I am very happy I made the decision to come here.

Not for the faint hearted, but completely worth it

Sometimes watching the dolphin tourism practices within Zanzibar was completely sickening, however knowing that we were involved in a project that was helping sustain these animals was completely rewarding. The house was really homey and we felt like a huge family with the weeknight volunteer activities. The staff were fantastic and so helpful about the program, volunteering and also weekend activities. They are so devoted and put their heart into their jobs it is inspiring.

My time as a teacher in Zanzibar

The African Impact Teaching and Community Project was a very nice experience. I was on project for six weeks and could really see how people live in Zanzibar and enjoyed it. With this project, you never get bored, there is always something new to explore or do. Teaching adult classes in the afternoons was my favourite part of the day. The students were all really friendly and keen to learn English. There would always be some students waiting for you before or after class to ask you some questions about the English language. It's fun to teach people who want to learn.
The volunteer's house is located at the beach with a beautiful view over the Indian Ocean.

Dolphin project review

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Jambiani volunteering with African Impact. The accommodation is excellent as well as the food! The programme itself is very enjoyable and I feel like i have helped with some valuable research and made an impact on the community of Jambiani and Kizimkazi. The in house aspect is great, everyone is very friendly and very sociable. We get involved in the local community massively by enjoying a local meal every week where the food is amazing! It is one of the best meals of the week. Also with Swahili lessons twice a week I feel like I have managed to learn a lot of the language as we are using it day to day.
My whole trip was extremely fun and i would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in dolphins or scientific research, as well as anyone wanting to travel somewhere new.

An adventure to do

impossible to miss the swim with the dolphins - i appreciate also the great disponibility of the staff, the drivers, the boats drivers too.
thanks for all. i will recommend the projects and i wish you the best future

Dolphin conservation project

I found that this project was quite interesting because it gave me a insight into the tourism industry in Zanzibar and how there is no current rules or regulations in regards to dolphin tours. I am very happy to have been part of this project and to have the chance to educate tourists and locals on ethical dolphin tourism. The cultural immersion for the program was great and it is very important that you come to this project with an open mind and the ability to be flexibility. One of my favourite parts of this project was the opportunity to have the local meal every week. It was nice to get to see a small snipet of the local life and what it is like to live in a Zanibar culture. I would also recommend that if you were to do this project to bring some extra spending money for the week as well as the weekend because for example, the local meal takes place in the week and so does the BBQ and few other things but you can opt out ot them. If you were to do this project before/after another African Impact project then I would also recommend budgeting so that you have enough spending money for both trips as it is very easy to over spend here.

I found that by bringing some extra resources such as my laptop, books and music speakers I found my stay in the fishing village great. However it can be a little boring if you have nothing to do as all the night life is in another location.

I felt very safe in the Zanzibar environment during my stay and safety in this country should not be something which holds you back from taking part in this fantastic project. The project coordinators and project managers take great care of you and it is just common sense to insure your own safety.

Amazing experience!

I was here for 2 weeks and it was a really good time, everyone is very friendly and I met some amazing people during my stay here. After this 2 weeks here I can say, that African Impact is a good organisation and I would come here again.

African Impact review

Volunteering with African Impact was amazing! My project was very well run by a dedicated and consistently approachable group of program managers who were solely committed to community engagement and ensuring that the project was sustainable. Every day, we were involved with the community in some way and in doing so were educated in the ways of communicating and working with people in a way that is effective and culturally aware. Back at the house, we were given ample time to reflect and relax after a long day on placement and if we needed anything from any of the coordinators, they were more than happy to help. There were however some things that new volunteers should be aware of; firstly, there was a lot of downtime, both at the house and during breaks. Secondly, this project can be very confronting and this project is very slow in achieving its final goals and is still in its beginning steps, this is not the fault of anyone but something for new volunteers to be aware of. Lastly, you as a representative of African Impact are constantly under the watchful eye of the local community and this isn't necessarily a bad thing however, it does mean that you need to constantly be aware of your own impact on people which means that this isn't a holiday!!!!!

In saying this, I highly recommend this volunteer project for people who are after a unique perspective on the ways that people in developing nations address issues and why the tourism industry in general needs to be closely monitored. Moreover, it taught me a lot about myself and how people from western countries can meaningfully help the world we live in.

amazing experience

review for the 2 projects: teaching (2 weeks and marine 2 weeks). I enjoyed more the dolphin project but i learnt from both a lot! Be open minded is the key. In the teaching project: i loved the adult lessons, the students were so happy to learn English. In the marine project, it is just amazing to do the monitoring of dolphins everyday!! The team is so friendly and i liked the fact that local people and staff from african impact work together to achieve this project. i really hope for them that in the future the dolphin tourism will be well regulated thanks to this project!

Be a volunteer

I wish to have been volunteer before my 30`s, this experience make your life different and open your mind.
With volunteers from overall you can develop your team ability and create a new future.
Within African Impact I discovered such great people engaged 100% in their projects and in the team spirit.
With this team you wont loose your time, you will learn about project, about people, about lifestyle, and you will find a new kind of family, their enthusiasm is simply contagious and you won't be able to stay apart of this good energy!
Well come and make this experience you wont have any regrets.