Dolphin & Marine Conservation in Zanzibar
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Dolphin & Marine Conservation in Zanzibar

Marine project

I had a lot of thoughts about this project. Is this going to work out for me? I'm not the best in English. The second thing was whatever this was actually a proper project, which did something good for the local community. My answer is definitely yes. All the staff people is really good. And the project they doing down here, it's fantastic.

Review

It was a great experience. We made some really cool activities and learned a lot about marine biology.The only problem was that you had to pay everything extra even though the project is expensive enough.

Review Jasmin Leypoldt

I liked it a lot. I experienced many great things. The only problem is that you have to pay everything extra even though the price for the project already high enough. And the food was every week the same. In my last week I couldn't eat it anymore

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 2:48 AM

Hi Jasmin. Thank you for your feedback. Please will you send us an email at marketing@africanimpact.com to chat about your concerns. With your help, we can possibly structure our project to provide the best experience for other volunteers.

Experience of living

What I really enjoyed about the project is the contact to the local people, they are so thankful! Seeing the dolphins in their natural habitats was just breathtaking! Teaching the conservation club was a big experience and I really liked it!!

Great!

Loved the place! I highly recommend this project, I learnt a lot about the local life on Zanzibar and about dolphins. A must do on the weekends is Zala park, and going to Stone Town. Thank you so much!

Marine project

I had a great time - everyone was really friendly and the project really makes a difference. The ethical training of the boat drivers is fantastic and I really hope that more complete the course so that the dolphins stay around Zanzibar forever and are allowed to behave naturally.

Marine project

Overall it was a truly interesting an fun experience! Even though everything was very new...new people, country, food and climate... everyone made you feel very welcome! The people on the Marine Project were very fun to work with &a the Dolphin Monitoring was very interesting but also sad to see!! I had an amazing time!

Marine conservation project

AMAZING. It was incredible to be so involved with the community and to get an insight into tourism issues in Kizimkazi. The coordinators were so welcoming and encouraging and connected to the locals which made the experience Heaps better. Definitely want to come back

Marine conservation dolphin research

This program was such an incredible experience for me , I felt so involved in the community and felt welcome and appreciated. The program was well organised and I will definitely be returning to Zanzibar

African Impact marine and dolphin conservation

It is great to see and swim with the dolphins, but the boatdrivers are treating the dolphins so badly. And every day the dolphins are moving further away because of it and i think that that's just sad.

Tiring but worth it

My experience with African Impact over the past three weeks was stunning. Weather in Kizimkazi or in Jambiani I got to know loads of new people from all over the world and made great experiences with both locals and animals.

Experience Africa and help make it a better place!

The Marine Conservation and Dolphin Research Project ("Dolphin Project") is my second African Impact project. My first project was the Lion Conservation in Antelope Park, Zimbabwe. Both projects were inspiring for the same and different reasons. On both projects, the staff welcomes you with open arms and makes you feel at home. . . while you are very far from home. On the Dolphin Project, not only do you help educate the dolphin tour operators on how to ethically interact with the dolphins, but you also get the opportunity to get an "insiders" view of the local community. I strongly recommend African Impact for anyone who wants to experience Africa, not just see animals on a safari.

Best 3 weeks of my life!

The most amazing experience of my life. With such a welcoming and supportive group of people around me, my time at African Impact was incredibly rewarding, humbling and exciting every day! I cannot recommend this program enough!

Amazing time

Thank you very much for this amazing experience and the friendly atmosphere. I really enjoyed my stay here and I got a lot back for myself and my life after the volunteering. It was awesome to see the dolphins daily and do some research for a better future.

Amazing experience

A life changing experience - amazing culture, excellent food, energetic students and very friendly volunteers and staff. Helping students to learn English and through that maybe find a job/better job it's one of the most accomplishing feelings I had so far.

Marine conservation dolphin research program

The Marine Conservation and Dolphin research Program was very informative and engaging. The monitoring sessions are a great way to learn about dolphins and their behaviour, as well as seeing firsthand the imapct of the tourisim industry on them.

Be a volunteer

I wish to have been volunteer before my 30`s, this experience make your life different and open your mind.
With volunteers from overall you can develop your team ability and create a new future.
Within African Impact I discovered such great people engaged 100% in their projects and in the team spirit.
With this team you wont loose your time, you will learn about project, about people, about lifestyle, and you will find a new kind of family, their enthusiasm is simply contagious and you won't be able to stay apart of this good energy!
Well come and make this experience you wont have any regrets.

Amazing time with the wonderful dolphins and whales of Zanibar

I had the opportunity here to fulfill one of my dreams : work with and for the dolphins. And the best reward : a peaceful swim with twenty friendly dolphins and an amazing whale show. Asante sana pomboo !

An adventure to do

impossible to miss the swim with the dolphins - i appreciate also the great disponibility of the staff, the drivers, the boats drivers too.
thanks for all. i will recommend the projects and i wish you the best future

An amazing experience!

I did the Marine Conservation project in Zanzibar and I loved every second of it. We got to do so much and everyday seemed to be a blur. I saw so many dolphins and I felt I was actually making an impact with the research we were doing. The people here are absolutely amazing and I couldn't imagine a better experience with them.

Marine conservation review

What an amazing project this is! If you love dolphins and marine life and the idea of living in an African community you will really love this project. For me, just going out and watching the dolphins every day is a blessing. They never fail to make me laugh, smile or even cry sometimes. I feel the information we observe is applicable and useful, consequently I feel I am making a difference. The approach and structure of the project is great as it carries so much variety and is mindful of the community, tourists and dolphins. We try to integrate the three as much as possible, and work out a collaborative solution that would suit all parties. I have learnt a lot from thinking like this.

The days are action packed so your time here will go very quickly! If you are quite independent and have traveled alone before I would say be more wary of this project as you are consistently with the group and the timetable is quite set in and strict.But this means you get to do a variety of activities. Every day (except Fridays and weekends) we go out on the boat and monitor dolphin tourism activity in the morning. Other activities involve lesson planning, thinking of ideas for boat workshops, snorkelling for coral reef surveys, teaching teenagers in conservayion club. My manager also asked me to write an article for the monthly newsletter. I was so shocked by the dolphin tours it inspired e to do something about it so I am making my own short documentary about it. Should be up within the first few months of posting this review so if you would like to see it here is the YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/user/Bethcrawford123.

There is plenty to do on the weekends and lots of resorts you can go and sunbathe at. Everyone is really friendly and the staff are nice too. I am running short on time but to sum it up I have had a great few weeks and would definitely recommend this experience to any dolphin lovers out therewho was a fun and peaceful experience in African culture.

Ruby Hornsby review

In my first two weeks, I stayed in Jambiani. Here I would travel to Kizimkazi to work during the day and then return each day. There is a lot of night life including beach bars to go to which play music and have bonfires, which is very social as one can integrate themselves with the local people who are very welcoming. Furthermore, the beach is beautiful and was amazing to swim in whilst watching the sun go down and the sky turn pick! Overall, it was very sociable as we were able to socialise with the volunteers from the Teaching projects. Weekends were also perfect here- the freedom to go to the bars (including red monkey and coral rock) to party and drink, with a very late curfew of 6am and then return as we wish with just a few minute walk back. We also travelled to neighbouring towns/ villages for the Full Moon Party (i would recommend! Stay up all night and end up on a yacht in the morning!...Don't ask haha) I recommend Coral Rock- the pool is an infinity one and you feel as though you're in paradise.. try the chocolate milkshake too.

My remaining two weeks I lived in Kizimkazi. This is a small fishing village with very going on in the evenings. My project leader Lisa, worked very hard to us to all feel cosy and happy in our new home, which included bringing a projector to watch movies against the white wall. In the evenings, I suggested to make it more fun, they should introduce late night snorkelling sessions, taking a boat out to watch the sunset and snorkel in the dark- this would make the most of the environment we are in. After all, the bay in filled with boats! The beach isn't one to sunbathe on, but there are beautiful steps leading to the sea which we walked down to take a swim in whilst the sun was setting. There is a bar (although not busy- there is alcohol) that has an outdoor shower, underneath the trees, over looking the sunset- very stunning. Up the road to the house, there is also a hotel- again not very busy.. but you should bring the party, right? Here there is a huge pool, again over looking the sea. There is a hammock to chill on, and a small bar and restaurant here too. There is also another hotel on the neighbouring side of the beach, which has awesome chill out spots, a lovely shop and again, most importantly a bar.

To conclude, this trip has been amazing. The work is so varying: monitoring the dolphins whilst out on the boat, teaching and preparing lessons for the boat drivers (promoting better business skills and ethical tours) who are adults, contrasting with the age of our conservation club students who we teach lessons too, involving topics such as land pollution/ Eco-bricking etc. We also monitor and record the fish the fisherman catch to ensure this is being done sustainably, giving you the opportunity to see a variety of different exotic and huge fish! Others activities such as swimming in with the dolphins at times when no other tourists are around, enabling you to dive down right next to them; visiting a beautiful sand bank (only accessible via a boat) where we have a local lunch and snorkel around the coral reef which again houses an abundant variety of sea creatures; local tours of the Kizimakazi village (which includes viewing the Mosk, an underground cave and the locals work etc); and finally going out every Wednesday for a local meal which entails going to the house of a teacher for example, who lives in the village, providing a small income for them, and enjoying an amazing meal that they have prepared, which of course we eat sitting down and with our hands!)- these are all just thrown in for good measure. Not to mention the weekends, filled with sunshine, freedom, parties, many different excursions depending on what suits you best- including, ethical turtles sanctuaries, kite surfing, scuba diving, prison island tour, stone town- slave trade museum, spice tour and the list goes on!!!

Zanzibar did me good and I have loved every second, as you will too.

Dolphin conservation project

I found that this project was quite interesting because it gave me a insight into the tourism industry in Zanzibar and how there is no current rules or regulations in regards to dolphin tours. I am very happy to have been part of this project and to have the chance to educate tourists and locals on ethical dolphin tourism. The cultural immersion for the program was great and it is very important that you come to this project with an open mind and the ability to be flexibility. One of my favourite parts of this project was the opportunity to have the local meal every week. It was nice to get to see a small snipet of the local life and what it is like to live in a Zanibar culture. I would also recommend that if you were to do this project to bring some extra spending money for the week as well as the weekend because for example, the local meal takes place in the week and so does the BBQ and few other things but you can opt out ot them. If you were to do this project before/after another African Impact project then I would also recommend budgeting so that you have enough spending money for both trips as it is very easy to over spend here.

I found that by bringing some extra resources such as my laptop, books and music speakers I found my stay in the fishing village great. However it can be a little boring if you have nothing to do as all the night life is in another location.

I felt very safe in the Zanzibar environment during my stay and safety in this country should not be something which holds you back from taking part in this fantastic project. The project coordinators and project managers take great care of you and it is just common sense to insure your own safety.

A wonderful experience!

I had two amazing weeks here in Zanzibar and wish I could stay here longer. The project I chose was dolphin conservation, and I am a biology major. I'm so happy that I could use my lab skills during volunteering, it was a fantastic experience. People (locals and staff) here are all very nice and welcoming. It's such a pity that I could only spend two weeks with them, which makes me want to be here again sometime in the future.

A truer look of Zanzibar

Living right next to a local community allowed me to have a true taste of the local community and I am super grateful that I can help to make a change to the living condition of the dolphins here in Zanzibar. As someone who is interested in food and regional produce, I found the tropical fruits, potatoes, and tomatoes here to be some of the best I have ever had.