PROGRAM TYPES

CONNECT WITH US

Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Dolphin & Marine Conservation in Zanzibar

Overall Rating

10/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    10

  • Program Administration

    10

  • Living Situation

    10

  • Community Engagement

    10

  • Health & Safety

    10

  • Day to Day Life

    10

Trip of a lifetime!

I was in Zanzibar for 4 weeks and absolutely loved every second of it. The project was fun and engaging, the staff were friendly and informative and the accommodations were incredible. I mean the house is a 20 second walk to the beach, what more can you ask for?! I would highly recommend this project.

Overall Rating

10/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    10

  • Program Administration

    10

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    10

  • Health & Safety

    10

  • Day to Day Life

    10

Excellent and rewarding volunteer experience in East Africa

The program is run in a very professional way - the responsible team are highly motivated, flexible and also fun to get along with. The approach is quite holistic, extends into teaching and educating the local community on a broader scale. The organization is held in very high regard by the local people - for good reason indeed.

Overall Rating

10/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    10

  • Program Administration

    6

  • Living Situation

    9

  • Community Engagement

    9

  • Health & Safety

    9

  • Day to Day Life

    9

Amazing trip

I would do it all over again :) I have learned so many things here in Zanzibar and I could see much more than only the touristic attractions. I could discover the life of the local people and see things I would never have seen as a tourist. It was such a pleasure to be part of this project and the managers are doing their best to help the people here in Zanzibar. I'm so thankful for the experience I got here!

Overall Rating

9/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    7

  • Program Administration

    6

  • Living Situation

    6

  • Community Engagement

    7

  • Health & Safety

    7

  • Day to Day Life

    8

Amazing experience

Voor het eerst alleen op reis, spannend maar het was amazing. Het project was wel anders dan ik van te voren had verwacht. Ik had gedacht continu met dolfijnen research bezig te zijn, dit is niet zo en misschien ook niet haalbaar. Daarvoor in de plaats wel leuke andere activiteiten gedaan. De fishmarket monetoren, bizar hoeveel verschillende vissen je voorbij ziet komen, in alle soorten en maten. En op donderdag concervation club. Een club kids tussen de 13-16 lesgeven over hoe goed om te gaan met de natuur, ocean.

Ik trof het ontzettend met de groep vrijwilligers, met zn zessen een fantastische tijd gehad. Je woont samen met de vrijwilligers van het teachprogram. Samen met een ander meisje zaten wij op het dolfijnenproject. Savonds en in het weekend veel gezamelijke dingen gedaan. Super. De 3 weken vlogen voorbij.

Wat ik jammer vond aan het project zelf is dat het toch voor mijn gevoel veel wachten en veel “niks” doen is. Ik ben graag hard aan het werk, dat moest ik wel even uitschakelen dat alles hier op zn Afrikaans gaat, dus polepole. Wat mij betreft mag je vrijwilligers wel meer verantwoordelijkheid geven, maar dat ligt misschien ook aan de leeftijd van de vrijwilligers die in het project zijn.

Leuk dat we 2x in de week Swahili les kregen, zo kan je toch een beetje een gesprek openen in Swahili.

Ik denk wel dat het project nog grote stappen kan maken in de organisatie om de vrijwilligers nog een betere tijd te geven. Maar ik denk dat het ook ligt aan je leeftijd. Iemand van 17/18 heeft meer structuur nodig dan iemand van 27 of ouder.

Overall echt een super toffe tijd gehad. Toffe mensen, leuke dingen gedaan, dofijnen gezien, gezwommen, op safari geweest, Stone town leuke stad om lekker doorheen te zwerven.

Je leert veel, super toffe experience.







For the first time traveling alone, exciting but it worths. The project was different than I expected beforehand. I thought that we be constantly busy with dolphin research, this is not and maybe not feasible. Previously done some nice activities in the locality. The fishmarket monitoring activities, bizarre how many fish you see passing by, of all shapes and sizes. And on Thursday conservation club. Teaching kids between 13-16 about how to properly deal with nature, ocean, a good way for dolphin tourism, how to deal with pollution.

I had a very nice group of volunteers, with in six had a fantastic time. You live with the volunteers of the teach program. Together with another girl, did we theDolphin project. Sorting and done a lot of common things on the weekends. Super. The three weeks flew by.

What I felt pity on the project itself is that I had sometimes the feeling that is was a lot waiting and lots to do "nothing". I like working hard that I had to just turn off that everything goes African, so pole pole. For me it's okay to give volunteers more responsibility, but that is perhaps the age of the volunteers in the project.

Glad we got 2x a week Swahili lesson, so you can still open a little conversation in Swahili.

I think that the project can make great strides in the organization to give the volunteers a better time. But I think it also depends on your age. Someone 17/18 needs more structure than someone 27 or older.

Overall I had really a very nice time. Nice people, nice things done, seen dolphins, swam, went on safari, Stone town nice town to wander through tasty.

You learn a lot, super cool experience.

Overall Rating

9/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    9

  • Program Administration

    8

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    9

  • Health & Safety

    9

  • Day to Day Life

    9

My experience in Zanzibar

I really enjoyed these two weeks of being a volunteer in the marine project. I learned so much about marine wildlife in Zanzibar and in the ocean in general. Within this short period of time we saw a lot of beautiful and impressing marine wildlife, we met great people within the project and from the local village and we had a great community within our house.
To see and experience how local people master their daily life, how the kids behave in school and how friendly the local people are was amazing. I never expected to experience and to learn so much and I am very happy I made the decision to come here.

Overall Rating

9/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    9

  • Program Administration

    9

  • Living Situation

    7

  • Community Engagement

    10

  • Health & Safety

    10

  • Day to Day Life

    9

Not for the faint hearted, but completely worth it

Sometimes watching the dolphin tourism practices within Zanzibar was completely sickening, however knowing that we were involved in a project that was helping sustain these animals was completely rewarding. The house was really homey and we felt like a huge family with the weeknight volunteer activities. The staff were fantastic and so helpful about the program, volunteering and also weekend activities. They are so devoted and put their heart into their jobs it is inspiring.

Overall Rating

9/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    8

  • Program Administration

    8

  • Living Situation

    5

  • Community Engagement

    9

  • Health & Safety

    10

  • Day to Day Life

    7

My time as a teacher in Zanzibar

The African Impact Teaching and Community Project was a very nice experience. I was on project for six weeks and could really see how people live in Zanzibar and enjoyed it. With this project, you never get bored, there is always something new to explore or do. Teaching adult classes in the afternoons was my favourite part of the day. The students were all really friendly and keen to learn English. There would always be some students waiting for you before or after class to ask you some questions about the English language. It's fun to teach people who want to learn.
The volunteer's house is located at the beach with a beautiful view over the Indian Ocean.

Overall Rating

9/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    8

  • Program Administration

    8

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    8

  • Health & Safety

    8

  • Day to Day Life

    9

Dolphin project review

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Jambiani volunteering with African Impact. The accommodation is excellent as well as the food! The programme itself is very enjoyable and I feel like i have helped with some valuable research and made an impact on the community of Jambiani and Kizimkazi. The in house aspect is great, everyone is very friendly and very sociable. We get involved in the local community massively by enjoying a local meal every week where the food is amazing! It is one of the best meals of the week. Also with Swahili lessons twice a week I feel like I have managed to learn a lot of the language as we are using it day to day.
My whole trip was extremely fun and i would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in dolphins or scientific research, as well as anyone wanting to travel somewhere new.

Overall Rating

8/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    9

  • Program Administration

    10

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    7

  • Health & Safety

    8

  • Day to Day Life

    8

Amazing experience!

I was here for 2 weeks and it was a really good time, everyone is very friendly and I met some amazing people during my stay here. After this 2 weeks here I can say, that African Impact is a good organisation and I would come here again.

Overall Rating

8/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    8

  • Program Administration

    7

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    10

  • Health & Safety

    10

  • Day to Day Life

    10

African Impact review

Volunteering with African Impact was amazing! My project was very well run by a dedicated and consistently approachable group of program managers who were solely committed to community engagement and ensuring that the project was sustainable. Every day, we were involved with the community in some way and in doing so were educated in the ways of communicating and working with people in a way that is effective and culturally aware. Back at the house, we were given ample time to reflect and relax after a long day on placement and if we needed anything from any of the coordinators, they were more than happy to help. There were however some things that new volunteers should be aware of; firstly, there was a lot of downtime, both at the house and during breaks. Secondly, this project can be very confronting and this project is very slow in achieving its final goals and is still in its beginning steps, this is not the fault of anyone but something for new volunteers to be aware of. Lastly, you as a representative of African Impact are constantly under the watchful eye of the local community and this isn't necessarily a bad thing however, it does mean that you need to constantly be aware of your own impact on people which means that this isn't a holiday!!!!!

In saying this, I highly recommend this volunteer project for people who are after a unique perspective on the ways that people in developing nations address issues and why the tourism industry in general needs to be closely monitored. Moreover, it taught me a lot about myself and how people from western countries can meaningfully help the world we live in.

Overall Rating

8/ 10

  • Volunteer Placement

    8

  • Program Administration

    8

  • Living Situation

    8

  • Community Engagement

    7

  • Health & Safety

    9

  • Day to Day Life

    6

amazing experience

review for the 2 projects: teaching (2 weeks and marine 2 weeks). I enjoyed more the dolphin project but i learnt from both a lot! Be open minded is the key. In the teaching project: i loved the adult lessons, the students were so happy to learn English. In the marine project, it is just amazing to do the monitoring of dolphins everyday!! The team is so friendly and i liked the fact that local people and staff from african impact work together to achieve this project. i really hope for them that in the future the dolphin tourism will be well regulated thanks to this project!

Institution Affiliates:

World Youth Student & Educational Travel Confederation