Community Teaching & Hands-on Lion Conservation Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Community Teaching & Hands-on Lion Conservation Project

Life is better when you leave an impact

The most incredible experience of my entire life. Antelope Park and African Impact exceeded all my expectations and left me desiring to stay longer. My heart was moved to serve the community and help conserve the animals even more. The experienced broadened my understanding of mixing cultures and I came away with more family members than when I started. A program that functions with as many moving parts as Antelope Park does, and still retains its personal nature is incredible. It shows how beautiful the site truly is. There truly is no place in the world like it and I'm thankful I was able to be a part of such important missions.

Community teaching and lion project

I have had the most amazing experience here at Antelope Park! Between walking with the lions and handling the elephants, this trip has most certainly exceeded my expectations. If you are given the opportunity to volunteer here, please take it!

Vol review

I would definitely come back. It is a beautiful setting at AP and the people you meet in the community are lovely. You really get to see the locals day to day life and you do not feel that you are only being shown the touristy stuff.

Sara from Norway

My stay at Antelope Park has been so amazing. I have experienced both the good and bad sides of Africa, and everything has thought me something new. Antelope Park is a very good place to volunteer, especially if you haven't volunteered before. I would recommend this place to anyone that is thinking about doing volunteering work. I am going to remember this place for the rest of my life. On community you have the chance to do so much for people, and I love that.

AI experience

This has been the best 3 weeks of my life, and I am definitely coming back. Everything was very structured and planned, from I ordered via GoXplore to now that I am leaving. The staff and all the people are very nice, and you are very welcomed. There are also so many social activities you can join, and you really get friends for life.
The only thing which could be improved is the showers, because only 1/3 shower worked. And it was several times there were no toilet paper.

Antelope park volunteering

I did not expect such good accommodation when I arrived. The food was beyond what I imagined. There was a lot of social time for the volunteers in the afternoon/night time as we all got together, played games or just chatted. Dinner time was just incredible as the kitchen staff played the bongo drums! how cool. I was on the teaching and lions project were I got to teach a special needs class basic English and Maths, I got to spend time with the street kids of Gweru, got regular walks with 3 lions not to mention the Elephants and water activities. Completely amazing experience all round!

My time volunteering

I had such an amazing time in Antelope Park Zimbabwe. Never did I think I would have been so hands on with the projects! The community project was just incredible. I got to get involved so much with the school kids by helping them read and write English, learning them mathematics and socialising with them. Getting to help a child really is an amazing thing.
With the lions, my goodness I never thought I would be able to walk with three 13 month old lion cubs. That was a once in a life time experience. Being able to feed and water the lions, carry out research on the release lions and carrying out behaviour enrichment toys was just fantastic. I can't put into words how amazing this volunteering trip really is. I would advise anyone and everyone to try it at least once.

Amazing African adventure

Antelope Park is one of the best volunteer experiences that I have ever participated in. There are so many things to do here, so many opportunities, and so many amazing chances to make a real impact in the world. Every day that I spent here was absolutely wonderful! I am so happy that I participated in this wonderful program.

Great project

Everything was great. The only room for improvement would be: better bathrooms (with locks), fan or airconditioned in the rooms, and more flexible meal times.The program itself was great with a unique mix of community and conservation I felt I experienced Africa in a new and more pleasing way.

Good experience

It have been really amazing experience. I feel that I have had the chance to do so much stuff and also make an impact. if I such say one thing that was negative its the bugs everywhere. But I know that I am in Africa an just have to live with it for a little while.

Sarah's Zimbabwe Trip

Antelope Park was great. I loved the experience and would love to come back. The variety of community projects was amazing, and I loved being able to see all different aspects of the people who need help. The social life was very nice, and it was easy to get awed by the beauty of the park. I wish I had more time to do all the different projects offered here, but I guess that is just a reason to come back

Great place

I came on this trip to get out of my comfort zone. What I didn't realize was it is impossible to not be comfortable at a place like Antelope Park. Everyone from the staff to the other volunteers are just generally nice and working towards making it comfortable to everyone else. From the second we got off transport, Rosa did everything she could to keep the volunteers informed with the happenings at camp. She had the board constantly updated with our activities for the next day, asked our opinion on upcoming social events and was not hard to track down if we needed anything amended. She is a great leader and without her consistently pushing to make sure things happen I worry about what would happen to order at AP

The lion project is fascinating. They go in depth explaining why everything's the way it is and explain any questions. It is quite the experience taking the lion cubs out for a walk and the handlers do a great job making you feel comfortable.

The facilities at camp are nice, you can almost always get a hot shower and the laundry is done regularly. The bedrooms are fine and no complaints about the beds.

I spent most of my time volunteering with the community project and they have some work up ahead of them but have been doing incredible things so far. I absolutely loved teaching at Julena Primary School and spending time with the drop in center and orphanage. They could perhaps benefit from more consistency in the schedule as if teachers/children knew when to expect them they could plan better. Staben has a great relationship with the vols and the projects and Rati deserves a shout out for her awesomeness too.

Time in Zimbabwe

It was an unforgettable experience. No matter if you are there for 2 weeks or two months, it's something that will affect you. As long as you are an open minded individual, your life will now be changed for the better.

Great experience!

It would have been appropriate to warn us it was holiday time, because the draft community for two weeks was really affected because of that.
What little we were in the community was wonderful.
The overall experience was amazing. The place, the animals, the team working in different areas in Antelope Park and the time shared with other volunteers was all great!

Exciting and rewarding

The staff, volunteers and accommodations at Antelope Park were wonderful. I have a heart and a passion for serving communities as well as a huge love for wildlife, with this program I got the best of both! Being ale to go out into the local community to teach children and lend support to the drop inn center and orphanage was incredibly rewarding. The community program coordinators encouraged us to jump right in and provided the necessary materials to succeed, I was able to teach a classroom on conservation efforts right away. The lion and elephant encounters on the weekend were an experience I will never forget, especially the night encounter! I walked away with a high level of compassion and knowledge for Zimbabwe, I can honestly say, 2 weeks was not enough!

Amazing experience

The experience was amazing. Loved the late nights around the bonfire with everyone. The living situation was a lot better than expected so that was great. Also I felt really save while being there....

An amazing volunteering experience

On top of meeting some of the most friendly and open-minded volunteers and staff members, the work completed during my time here was truly rewarding. The happiness and acceptance of the community, along with the kids in the school, shows how much of an impact you can truly make while working at Antelope Park. Antelope park spends time to recognize the areas in the community that need the most attention in order to insure that each volunteer can make as large of an impact as possible.

An unforgettable experience

Through this trip I feel I got the best of both worlds. I had the typical "African Experience" riding elephants, walking lions and so much more. I got to learn a ton about the animals and how important the lions role is. Then I also got to experience what the community goes through in their everyday life and I got to understand their culture in zim with greater depth. I was only at antelope park for two weeks but it was enough for the experience of a lifetime! I can't wait to go back for much longer!

My 8 weeks at Antelope park

I've had the most amazing 8 weeks ever. The stay has been great since day one. I've met people I am never ever going to forget, and had experiences that will stay with me forever. It is crazy how spending time with people who are here for the same reasons as you bring you together. I have learned a lot about myself by meeting so many different people. Not only inside of the comforting bubble at antelope park, but also outside of the gates. I feel privileged to be able to get close to the culture and people from different backgrounds and families.

My stay at Antelope Park

I have had the great opportunity to experienced both the lion project for four weeks, but also the community project for four weeks. To wake up every morning and either go on a lion walk or an elephant herding before breakfast is a feeling I will never be able to explain. It's something that must be experienced. Even when I got to help with the everyday duties, that must be done, like cleaning, snaresweep, fixing the roads etc I still had a great time and experience new and amazing things everyday. During my stay I've met 66 volunteers from 14 different countries and an amazing team of staff that all have played a big part of my stay being as good as it was. I'm so happy that I chose to combine the two projects because I feel that it gave me the chance to see and learn as much as possible during my stay. To get the opportunity to come so close to the animals and learn so much about them and at the same time get to spend time with the community. During my time at community project I've done both home visits, teaching at two different schools, been part of educating about conservation of african wildlife, assisting at the clinics, done two nightshifts at the clinic, spending time with the boys at the drop-in, visited a church, helped in the process of building a new school, visited the orphanage several times and also spent time at a support group for people that are HIV positive. Thanks to this I've gotten to see a lot of the community and the culture of the people living here, which I am forever thankful for.

Community and lions

My time in Antelope Park have bin amazing ! I have spend much time whit the street kids and they have bin learning me more then I ever cud imagine. The staff here have bin so nice and they make your day here. I will defiantly come back !

Community project

The community Project has been good, but a little confusing. With what we are supposed to do, where we are going, where we are meeting. It has been a lot of waiting, on the leaders or guides or volunteers. But mostly the community staff has listen and tried to work faster. And there has always been possibly to join the lions :)

Great for experience, less on sustainability

I am a teacher of sustainable living back in the States, among other skills and found the whole Antelope experience delightful, exciting, fun and gives the young volunteers a fabulous time which for a visit or holiday is wonderful. However for true sustainability and using those who have true skills to make a difference, especially for your mature volunteers, I feel could be improved tremendously.and treated with a bit more respect for their abilities and make the most from them.

My experience

My experience in Zimbabwe has been amazing and challenging in many ways. I've learned a lot about myself and others. This experience opened my eyes and made me realize that materialistic things are not that important, happiness is found in other things.

Kids & lions

I think is have bin fun to be at this project again, but I wish the school was open. However is have been some fantastic weeks. I have done some different thing this time, that is fun. everyone are kind here, I like that.