Community Teaching & Hands-on Lion Conservation Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Community Teaching & Hands-on Lion Conservation Project

Combined community & lion project

I asked to do community work but was directed to the lion project due to Christmas holidays. In fact there was a very active community project and i was able to switch to a combined project once on site. It was a wonderful two weeks but felt very short to try to combine both. I got to do a little bit of a lot of different things but would have liked to be more engaged in community work.

Community and lion volunteering

An unforgettable experience that not only teaches you about the projects you are on but about the cultures of Zimbabwe and your fellow volunteers. It teaches you about yourself and what more you want from life. You become friends with people in a way you wouldn't think possible and the amazing experience you have makes going home really hard.

4 weeks at Antelope park

My 4 weeks at Antelope park has been amazing. The time has gone by so fast, and I wish i could have stayed longer.
I have been on the teaching project, and we have been on several different schools and pre-schools. This has given me the opportunity to see how the schools and teaching programs work here in Zimbabwe. I got the chance to be a teacher for these amazing kids for four weeks. I have had lessons with math, English and coloring/painting in the pre-school. Once a week we visited a drop-in center in town, and cooked a warm meal for them. It feels so good to come a bit close to the locals in Zimbabwe, and I have met so many happy, loving and grateful people during my stay here.

You get to see many differences, espesially when it comes to standard where the

An amazing adventure

On the community project iv'e got to learn so much more than I thought I would. It has been very interesting to experience the living situation in Zimbabwe because of the poor condition. To get the chance to work with majestic animals like elephants and lions are truly amazing but when you are on the community you get to see "the real Africa" which I think is worth so much more. I'm so happy that I made the decision to come here, it has been an adventure that is hard to describe, you have to come here yourself to understand it and you wont regret it!

Community project review

Returning this year, I knew what to expect but there is always something new. New people, new projects, new experiences. Everyone at Antelope Park is very friendly and they do an amazing job at finding projects that will leave a true impact in the community.

Community experience

Two thumbs up, really want to come back again and help out. Working in community was humbling and rewarding. I became good friends with many of the staff here and kids in the drop-in center/orphanage. I spent a lot of my time in the bar and had a blast drinking with the other volunteers. The people here are absolutely amazing and will be greatly missed.

Community and hands on lion project

Really enjoyed my 2 weeks here, wasnt long enough, everybody staff, volunteers, people in the community were amazing, community work was really rewarding, helping at the drop in clinic and the boys orphanage. being able to help in the making of the bricks for julena was an amazing experience and very enjoyable to work alongside the locals who also came to help, the whole community aspect was a real eye opener finding out exactly how bad living conditions can be and also how poor families are. working with the lions was a once in a lifetime experience walking beside 3 lions can only be described as breath taking, you have to be there to experience it.

Trip of a lifetime!

This is my second time to Zimbabwe but first time to Antelope Park. It really has been a trip of a lifetime and has the ability to change how you see the world we live in! I would highly recommend the Community project. Whilst it is heartbreaking to see how some young people live here it is so unbelievably rewarding to see the work that is being done in the local community! I will be back for sure!

Community teaching and lion conservation

A Fabulous experience overall and real privilege to get so close to the animals who are being well cared for and whose future looks brighter because of the conservation efforts being made here at Antelope Park. The community work being done by this team is highly admirable and they are making a real difference to the lives of the children and adults they work with.

Community and hands on lion project

We had an amazing two week stay in Antelope Park, volunteering on the Community and Lion project.
Early starts and long days but it was a once in a lifetime experience. Our community work was a huge reality check, and I have learned so much from that.

Lion and community project

Volunteering at Antelope Park have given me amazing, once in a life time opportunities and memories i will never forget. If I could afford to stay forever I would and i am so excited for a time i am able to return. The program offers activities and opportunities which are not available anywhere else in the world. all of the staff are amazing and make you feel at home straight away. I don't want to leave.

Kids & lions project

I applied for the project Kids & Lions for several reasons. One of them is, as a social work student I wanted to experience other social problems than you get in touch with in developed countries. After the first week of inductions and introduction, starting to get the whole picture of this thing, I found myself burning. I was set on fire of all the motivation and inspiration that evoked from the people and situations surrounding me. I had a chance to use my hands and my heart to build from the ground. I fell in love with the simplicity of life here in Zimbabwe... My only wish before I came here was to at least leave this place with a footprint in my heart that would change my life. Surprisingly, after two months I've found that I don't need to go back to my home country, because this has become my home.
One thing I found very appreciative about this combo project is that you get to involve yourself not just mentally, but also physically. It was relieving to be able to switch from working a lot with your mind, to have days just working with your body. A combination of being close to different people, and also have the chance to be around animals and the nature.
Volunteers come to this place to help out in different situations, but there's an exchange that reflects the words "less is more"...

A warm shower is luxury. A colder shower is okay. Food three times a day is a lot. Laughter with a few minutes duration is a paradise. Far away is close. Dirt is not so dirty. One suitcase of clothes is a whole wardrobe. A stranger is family... A one night sleep on a thin mattress is an anticipated recovery in a warm bed. A few minutes of closure is a hundred hours of joy. Because less is more.

Hakuna matata

It was amazing. if you can, you should do it!!!

Antelope park 2017

My stay here has been amazing. It's my second time here, and I'll diffidently be back. The staff here is friendly and welcoming, and the projects here is very good. We did a lot of different things over the weeks I was here, so it was nice to have a little variation.

Sach's experience

My experience at antelope park was amazing and unforgettable. I participated in the community project and I had the chance to get to know amazing and good people who have nothing but go through life with a smile. I went to schools where they have not even classrooms to teach the children. I visited families where they couldn't afford to pay school fees, couldn't afford paying food or anything else. I have learned so much about those people and will never forget them.

Sara A's feedback

I've been at Antelope Park for almost three weeks now. The knowledge, experiences and memories that I will be bringing back home are irreplaceable, to say the least. Walking with the lions, meeting the locals, learning about their culture and everyday waking up to a new adventure. The last few days has been an emotional roller coaster, knowing I will be going home and leaving this amazing place behind. I appreciate all the staff that has made me feel welcome. I have both injured myself and gotten sick here throughout these three weeks and both times I have been met with so much compassion and understanding. I was taken to the hospital and given help because of a sprained muscle in my knee and when I was sick, Rosa was there to give me a helping hand whenever needed. I can't thank her and the rest of the staff enough for that. I have never once missed home and my only regret is that I'm not here for longer. My favorite memory from this trip though, will probably be all the good times I had with the children in the community. Street kids, orphans, students and others. Seeing how strong their hope is considering their situation is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I know I can't save the world in three weeks and probably not even in a whole lifetime, but the fact that I have been given the chance to make a difference and an impact, is something I am indescribable thankful for.

• African Impact responded to this review August 04, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Hi Sara,

Thank you very much for your feedback score. Please do get in touch with any of our team you met on the ground, or drop us an email at info@africanimpact.com, to let us know how we can improve further in “Living Situation” . We want to ensure all of our volunteers, including yourself, have a wholly positive experience and really appreciate your feedback!

Best wishes,

Olivia lindens feedback

I have had some of the best memories iv ever had coming to Antelope Park. Being able to walk with the lions was one of the scariest yet exciting experiences ever and it is absolutely crazy how i was able to stroke them, walk with them, feed them (even if the meat preparation was revolting,do it anyway!). The community on the other hand honestly made my heart melt seeing how happy all the children were, despite their unfortunate circumstances and being able to see what difference you can make just in a couple of weeks. I can definitely say i cried as the children hugged me goodbye and told me they wanted me to come the next week and i really wish i could. I loved my stay .. although i wish i came in a more hotter season .

• African Impact responded to this review August 04, 2017 at 8:13 AM

Hi Olivia,

Best wishes,

Community and lions

Lovely place and people. I really liked interacting with the locals and learning more about the wildlife. You get to interact with the locals in a way that you may never get to do anywhere else. Amazing.

A must do experience

I would recommend taking part in a project like this to anyone and everyone it is a unique and memorable experience! I only stayed for 2 weeks due to time constraints however it was not enough! I wanted to stay for much longer and engage in the community project even more and gain a greater understanding of the culture however even a short experience was able to leave a great impact upon me. I also made great friends during my time who shared my common vision of helping the community and the lions. I highly recommend this project to anyone with an interest in helping people or animals, its an experience you wont forget.

Community teaching and hands-on lion conservation

Overall I have had a great experience. I enjoyed the community project overall and there was a great range of schools that we visited. I have met loads of great people to stay in touch with. I would have liked to do more hand-on lion activities, as a combination volunteer I was not told that lion activities on a weekend were different. Every staff member was so friendly and happy to accommodate your needs. Free laundry is also a massive bonus!

Samantha

I thought Antelope Park was very nice and such an amazing experience. This project was perfect for me because it let me work with children and animals. All of the staff is so welcoming and nice and I had the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.

Happy

Pretty happy with the project. Would love to get closer with the community and do more, but I also understand that it is limited in 3 weeks. The ride to the community and the fact that the cars always had problems was my biggest problem.

• African Impact responded to this review August 04, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Hi Katine,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We understand that the vehicles sometimes cause a problem on project, especially when sticking to a schedule.

This issue has been raised with the AP staff and we are currently in the process of resolving this problem. We really appreciate your review as we want to ensure all of our volunteers, including yourself, have a positive experience and we take every feedback into consideration.

The African Impact Antelope Park Team

Life is better when you leave an impact

The most incredible experience of my entire life. Antelope Park and African Impact exceeded all my expectations and left me desiring to stay longer. My heart was moved to serve the community and help conserve the animals even more. The experienced broadened my understanding of mixing cultures and I came away with more family members than when I started. A program that functions with as many moving parts as Antelope Park does, and still retains its personal nature is incredible. It shows how beautiful the site truly is. There truly is no place in the world like it and I'm thankful I was able to be a part of such important missions.

Best 2 months ever!

Can't describe my staying in words, I've learned more during 2 month here than I've done during almost 20 years in Sweden! I've walked lions, seen the Victoria falls, taking care of amazing kids and so on and I've got to know so many wonderful people, both the staff and the volunteers. I never wanna leave this place :(

Community teaching and lion project

I have had the most amazing experience here at Antelope Park! Between walking with the lions and handling the elephants, this trip has most certainly exceeded my expectations. If you are given the opportunity to volunteer here, please take it!