Community Health Project, Antelope Park
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Community Health Project, Antelope Park

Community medical December 2017

A fantastic 2 month stay at Antelope Park! I spent 7 weeks on the community project splitting my time between teaching and the clinics to get the best overall view of the community. I also upgraded to a week on the Lion project to see what the bulk of the work here is like. It is an amazing project doing great work both with the lions and in the community.

Very very good experience

the team of the community project are very good, Team very involved
I find that there is a real meaning with this project

If I can I will return to work with the Stoben team.
A real revelation for me

Medical aide

I meet some incredible people and got to experience living situations and the culture first hand. The people at Antelope Park are very friendly and helpful! I appreciated that we also got a chance to work with the lions, horses and the community.

Community medical project

Originally somewhat apprehensive about my age though I am fit and healthy. However on arrival was made welcome by all -
staff the project and other volunteers. Never felt out of place. Amazing experience. Learnt about health care in Zimbabwe along with the social conditions in both Mkoba and Gweru. Was given and took all opportunities that were made available to me and ave learnt a lot about Zimbabwe. Have really enjoyed my time here and feel that I may have made small helpful differences at the clinics. Also experienced the drop in for street kids, the bush school, special needs and AET. Enjoyed all the opportunities offered and taken by me. Having been a community nurse in England for several years was particularly interested in the home visits - mostly social in nature of extremely deprived families. Will never forget this experience and would consider returning.

Community and health project

I am a graduate student, following a pre med track in the U.S. Coming to Zimbabwe and being able to have first hand medical experience helped gain an understanding of the clinical aspect here. Although, the environment differs from where I come from, the main aim is still the same, to help those in need. I have been honored to have the people of Zimbabwe trust me as an outsider and work along their side as one of the medical team. I could not have asked for a better stay and experience while being here. The staff and team I worked with at Antelope Park were beyond amazing and made my experience one of a lifetime.

My review

I would like to say that in the information packet or on the information page there should be something that mentions that there is a introduction week. other than that i had an amazing time here and will miss it dearly.

Community project

I found my time with the community project a very interesting experience. There are many options to choose from regarding what you're most interested in learning about, or have a passion for. Spending my time within the special needs class of Mkoba 4 seemed to fit me best, as I found it was more rewarding and I genuinely felt as if I was really making a difference to other human lives. Initially it wasn't what I set out to do whilst spending my time at Antelope Park, but after only one day of being in the clinic and teaching I knew I had to switch projects which I'm very glad I had the option to do so. The special needs class is a challenging part of the project, but it is also, I found, the most rewarding. A lot of time and patience is required if you wish to make the most out of being around the wonderful children there, but soon enough you will start to see small improvements. The downside to the special needs class isn't the children themselves, nor the classroom, but rather the attitude of the teachers and staff there. More often than not I would hear the teacher talk negatively about a child, or the children in general, regarding their learning abilities, where they ranked in the class and was told "not to bother" spending time with one boy as he was "messy" with his work. Instantly you are able to actually acknowledge that perhaps he is dyslexic (as his English, even copied direct from the blackboard was spelled incorrectly and jumbled, whereas his maths was written much neater) and also, possibly, suffering from lack of encouragement and support at home due to often not doing his homework. I spent well over an hour with him, answering five mathematical questions, and slowly but surely he was able to get them all correct. It takes time, but it is beyond worth it. The upsides to the class is the option to be able to influence their afternoon of learning, whether it be English, reading, writing, spelling, alphabetical learning, numbers, learning through play... all the children there are keen to be apart of something, and will welcome you with open arms and smiling faces.
What I did think could be improved was the twice weekly drop-in center. The two whole days spent with the street kids is an incredible experience, as they open your mind to a completely different life. However, I felt as if my money which I am paying to be here isn't really going to these minor projects. A small amount of money a week could really change the whole system and set up. When I first arrived there were three blunt kitchen knives, one without a handle, and several very old and worn chopping boards. Thanks to new volunteers and myself, the drop in center now has two new sharp knives, a new chopping board and spoons - but more is needed! A bottle of kitchen cleaning spray and paper towels would be perfect for sanitizing the preparation and cooking areas, as would skills of a carpenter or builder to help perhaps install kitchen units to store kitchen and table wear out of the way of dust, dirt and bugs. I also thought that more planning could go in to progressing the drop in center. We would go there all day, twice a week, and interact with the kids through games and songs but they're not young children, they are teenagers in need of learning life skills that could help so much with their future in finding a job, or income of some sort. Another problem was the food that was served for them - the cheapest meat and sadza with some kind of cabbage, sometimes the meat portion would be the size of a fifty pence piece. I really felt as if my money here was wasted, as it did not contribute to the community project from what I experienced, therefore the price needs to be lowered, or the funds used in the correct manner. Whilst we ate exceptionally well at AP, the children we volunteered to help didn't even have cutlery to eat their lunch with.

Review section two

I had a great experience at Antelope Park. I see a lot from the culture and how the people live here in Zimbabwe. I helped a lot of people in the clinic. It is good to see how different the medical situation here is. Before I start with the project I didn't know that all of the volunteers get the animals induction in the first week. I think it is good to explain that part more in the pre-departure papers to make sure that everyone knows that the first week all animals induction is and no community.

African experience at it's best

This is my second African Impact that I have done this year, before this I was in Capetown for a month. I chose this program after the one in Capetown because I wanted to see different things of Africa. Capetown ofcourse is a big city and still has a lot of signs left of apartheid, but after that experience I wanted to experience the more 'real feeling' while also staying hands on in the community. I think that's the best way of really exploring the culture. I chose the health program because I am a medical student and really wanted to see the differences in culture in the medical field here as well. I think I have achieved that and I'm really glad for that. If you show initiative in the clinic you're able to see a lot of different things and indebted as well. Overall, I think I can say these two months in Africa has been one of the best experiences of my life.

Good concepts

I enjoyed all of the people, I have met some amazing people in administration and volunteers. I chose Antelope as it offered a chance to explore volunteering and be able to take a break with different options to explore the county. I had much to learn about the area.

Antelope park

Very good! Loved it Over all it was an amazing stay at antelope park! Everyone was super friendly and welcoming during the stay!
I can highly recommend volunteering on the Community project! It was amazing!

African Impact review

Loved my time in Zim, met some incredible people from volunteers to people in the community. The staff are so supportive and give you the freedom to work how you feel is effective. Highly recommend anyone to come here!

Wonderful experience

It was by far one of the best experience I have ever lived. Meeting people from all over the world, walking with the lions and seeing the african animals it is what makes it special. I only stayed 2 weeks in Antelope Park and I can say that it was not enough because in community you get to do lots of projects and you get to meet people to whom you get attached extremely quick.
Before arriving to antelope park I did not know what to expect and I must say that it was a pleasant surprise.

Highly rewarding personal experience

I spent a month in Zim, working in the local community: helping out at local schools, an outreach centre for street kids, local orphanages, community garden projects, clinics, special needs schools, etc. The children were incredibly sweet and welcomed up with open arms. The 'work schedule' was at times disorganized and could use some improvement, but in a country like Zim, it is a reality to face. On a personal level, I gained so much from this opportunity: learning a new culture, meeting kind and loving people, discovering a beautiful country and best of all, seeing and interacting with amazing animals. The facilities at Antelope Park are also exceptional : the site is stunning, the activities revolving around the animals are limitless and the staff is very knowledgeable. The accommodations were basic but comfortable, none the less. I would recommend this experience to many people.

Lion and Teaching Combo Project

I was on the Lion and Teaching Combo Project. I have never had such an incredible experience anywhere's I have been. I got to spend the weekdays in the community at locations such as primary school, preschool and the drop in center for the street kids. I had a great time with all the kids at all the locations. There was a bit of an issue at the beginning at the drop in center with confusion among staff but other than that, I have nothing bad to say about any part of the community projects. I spent my weekends working with lions, walking with them, cleaning their enclosures and feeding them. It was also an unbelievable experience. It is hard to believe you can get so close and personal with such amazing animals. I have nothing bad to say about any part of the lion project. I also got to experience an overnight horse safari sleeping in the bush under the stars, and getting to walk and ride elephants. The fun never stopped!
Overall, I had an incredible experience and can not wait to come back!!! A month goes by way too fast! I would recommend African Impact to everyone!!!