Academic Summer Courses in Africa
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Academic Summer Courses in Africa

Zambia African Impact review

Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia at the Backpackers through African Impact was everything I had hoped it would be. Life at Backpackers was socially satisfying, as I lived amongst of group volunteers from all over the world. Outside of Backpackers, my projects led me to working with Zambian children, an experience that was brand new and eye opening. I admired greatly the dedication of the leaders I worked with too. Joe, Kristin, Sander, and Jen are all invested in what they are doing, their determination is obvious.

Extremely educating and fun. The staff is very supportive. Best experience of my life.

African Impact is great for wildlife conservation and cultural immersion which is great for animals lovers and photographers. I would recommend this to everyone possible and would love to return for a full time volunteer experience.

Educational and an overall amazing experience

As well as enjoying myself and meeting new people, I learned a lot of new things.

It was amazing

I had the most amazing time of my life. I learned a lot about all the animals. The learning experience was wonderful. All the staff were extremely kind, helpful and fun.

One of the best experiences of my life to date!

Everything about this place and my experiences was a 10/10.

Thank you for everything!

This has been the most memorable week of my life. Thank you to all my guides (especially Ange) for answering every question we asked, even if it was for the fifth or tenth time, and thank you for creating such a welcoming environment for all of us. I'll be back!

It's another home for me

It's another home for me.

It was just amazing

It is an amazing place to stay with amazing and enthusiastic staff. The service was excellent. The activities and program were organized well. I learned facts about the big 5 and many other animals which I don't know. The food was good and I got a chance to taste different tastes and local dishes. I loved it.

Outstanding

Although I was anxious before coming here my entire perspective was changed as soon as we got to Dumela. It had an extremely homely and comfortable feel to it. I made so many new friends and know that we're going to remain friends even once we are back in bombay.

I learned the most I have in 10 days

I learned so much about the big 5 wildlife and did a lot of research. The instructors know so much information and shared it with us and I made some really good friends during these ten days.

Amazing

I had a wonderful time these past 10 days and if I had the chance to visit again I would definitely visit again.

I went alone and learned a lot

I went alone and learned a lot.

It was amazing, a good experience

According to me this trip was a lot of fun. it was a new experience with new people in a new place. It was very Informative and I learned a lot. I learned about a lot of animals and some new facts. It was very interesting and we got to do a new thing every day. It was a lot of fun.

Overall an unforgettable experience

I spent two weeks volunteering for African Impact in Livingstone, it was an unforgettable experience where I was able to immerse myself in many different activities and show and develop a wide range of skills. I was on the Medical program which involved home base care and helping in clinic. With no prior medical knowledge it was amazing to see home much I knew through basic education back at home. Overall it was incredible to see how other communities live, and wouldn't change anything about the program.

Come again?

I would love to come back and experience this again. It is a life changing experience. The accommodations are fare above what I expected, the food is great, the people are awesome and completely sincere in what they do and their desire to do this work.

You won't regret it!

Zambia is a fabulous place and the projects African Impact lead and support are worthy! The accommodation is very comfortable. The local team is super friendly. And the local community accepts volunteers with open arms.

Jambiani

this was a great week in Jambiani. we were able to help prepare a community garden and paint the walls of a nursery, as well as went dhow racing and snorkeling. we were to a sandbar as well in the middle of the ocean which was amazing

One of the most rewarding experiences of my life

While spending a month here in Livingstone, Zambia I have had the opportunity to work closely with the local population towards bettering the community along with myself. I worked on the teaching project, spending my mornings at a local primary school and my evenings either teaching adults or working with a math or reading club. My weekends were my free time when I would spend my time relaxing by the pool, visiting the local markets, getting a shower at Victoria Falls or going on an amazing safari. I recommend this program for anyone who wishes to make a lasting impact... get it?

English major abroad

When I first became an English major, I was always told that I wouldn't be able to do anything with it. THIS is what you can do, you can make an impact on hundreds of people and use the skills you've gained through a liberal arts education has a practical application.

JS review

I had the most amazing experience at THAF. I learned so much through my time here and really hope that one day I will be able to come back and experience this opportunity again. Everyone in the program is much appreciated.

Ugh!

I had the best time. I truly could not be more grateful for this experience. The way that I view life and the values that I have completely changed and I hope that when I go back to the United States that I can continue to spread these values that are built on sustainability, relationships and love.

My experience abroad

Traveling to Livingstone, Zambia was different than any other trip I have experienced. The cultural immersion was second to none and participating on the medical project allowed me to see Livingstone as a whole and not just the sugar coated tourist destinations. Being able to interact with the locals of Livingstone makes the experience even more rich, I would travel to their homes to provide home based care and I was able to see into the life of a real Zambian family. This experience gave me a greater appreciation for the work being done by so many volunteers and expats because I can see how difficult this job is. I felt safe and secure the entire time staying in Zambia and have learned so much about myself, African Impact, and Zambia. I am forever grateful for this experience and highly recommend this trip to anyone pursuing a career in the medical field.

My review

I loved my experience here. The facilities were really nice and the staff was incredibly kind and welcoming. I loved getting the chance to experience so many different projects during my time in Livingstone.

I'll be coming back!

After three weeks, it's hard to leave. Volunteering in the schools gave me a great chance to expand my teaching experience and learn from other teachers. The afternoons let us rotate through different programs, helping us find our strengths and push ourselves beyond what we thought we could do.

A wonderful experience

Volunteering with African Impact has been an amazing experience. The staff is welcoming, passionate, and talented. They never force you into a situation, but they do give you plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow. They trust in your ability to help, and by the end of my stay, I even got some chances to lead projects.

I worked on the sports project, so I traveled to five different schools throughout the week. The children are incredible! Because I was only here for 3 weeks, I was worried about not making connections with them. That was not the case. The students remembered me after the first week, and I even became close with many of the kids. I can't walk through some of the schools without running into a kid I know from P.E. class.

The staff also does a fantastic job of letting you try multiple projects. Typically, the morning project is the same every day, but your afternoon project explores a variety of things. I got to try education, girl impact, and farming. They customize your schedule to favor projects you like.

Overall, I could not be happier with my experience. African Impact has far exceeded my expectations.