Internships in Madrid, Spain - Adelante Abroad
Adelante Abroad Adelante Abroad

Internships in Madrid, Spain - Adelante Abroad

JUST DO IT!!!!

Absolutely the experience of a lifetime!!! I was terrified before I left and almost bailed because of my anxiety about going somewhere totally new where I wouldn't know anyone coupled with some Visa issues. But the staff (and my Dad) were voices of reason and got me set to leave. And basically from the moment I arrived- everything was great.

I highly recommend living in the housing with other Adelante/international students in Madrid. Definitely some of my best friends were my roommates, but also there is so much going on in Madrid all you have to do is take the initiative to walk outside and you'll meet the greatest people! It's right in the center of the city by so many bars/shops/clubs/transportation hubs/gyms/etc etc etc. Some of the appliances are pretty old and sometimes don't work great (ie microwave, washer, etc), but it's well furnished and equipped with pots/pans which is great. The language school classes before the internship were definitely helpful as a kind of adjustment period.

My one complaint is I wish I knew more about my actual internship position before I actually started. I only found out maybe a few weeks before I started what company I was even working for, and even so really was not prepared for the type of work I would be doing. Adelante stresses business casual attire until otherwise noted by supervisor, so I came to Spain with that wardrobe in mind only to find out I needed primarily swim and athletic wear. That being said my co-workers were extremely patient with my Spanish (my bosses did not speak English- another thing I was unaware of before showing up for my first day) and I really loved going in everyday to work with the autistic kids.

After arriving home, all I want to do is go back and my Dad likes to remind and tease me about how I didn't want to go and thought I would be happier just doing a regular semester in Boston because the semester abroad was really the greatest one of my life. So JUST DO IT (you're aloud to be scared- but take that leap).

• Adelante Abroad responded to this review January 26, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Whitney! Thanks so much for the rave review, the photos, too, and whenever you are ready to "Just Do It" again, we would love to have you back. Alumni receive a discount, don't forget:) Touching on your comment about knowing more initially about your international internship: yes, candidates receive their contracted internship confirmation about 4 weeks / one month prior to their program start date. In this document or contract, there is a company website, job description

Best summer of my life In Madrid

I interned in Madrid for the past two months through the Adelante Abroad program. Adelante essentially sets everything up for you prior to arrival including your internship placement and housing and then you are basically on your own. My girlfriend and I both took part in the Adelante program and were able to live together in an incredibly nice apartment set up by Adelante in a very nice neighborhood of Madrid. It was definitely a relief having an apartment with zero issues, making Madrid instantly feel like home.
The Adelante program starts off with two weeks at the Eureka language school where you are completely immersed in Spanish, with zero english speaking allowed in the school. Having very little Spanish background prior to this summer I was definitely overwhelmed in the first 15 minutes at Eureka, but that went away by the end of the first day and I really enjoyed the school and lessons. I actually wish there was someway that the program could work in additional time at Eureka into the 8 week program rather than just the two weeks in the beginning, but I understand that would be difficult with the internship hours the last 6 weeks.

I have a fairly unique major in college, making it somewhat difficult to find an internship placement in Madrid, but Adelante placed me with Sotavento Consultores, a financial consulting firm doing market research analysis and I was very happy with my experience at Sotavento. I was basically independent on my own projects for the entirety of the six weeks interning at Sotavento, allowing me to take on as much as I wanted in terms of workload. The work place is certainly different in Spain than the United States, but Im very grateful to have had the opportunity to see how business is conducted in Spain and to give insight on business in the United States.

I did a significant amount of research before traveling to Spain and decided to purchase an Eurail pass for traveling on weekends and I am incredibly glad I did. I was able to spend two weekends in Barcelona, a weekend in Valencia, San Sebastian and Granada as well as a day in Segovia all without worrying about the cost of point to point train tickets. My time traveling on weekends was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, and I would recommend other Adelante candidates do the same as you will have plenty of time to explore Madrid during the week days after your internship and in the one or two weekends you spend here when not traveling. Spain is a beautiful country and each region looks and feels entirely different, definitely something worth experiencing.

While Madrid was not my favorite city I visited in Spain, I was very glad I chose to do the Adelante program here rather than another city for several reasons: 1)Spanish is much more common in Madrid than other cities. From my experience, it appeared that Madrid had much less English speakers which made learning and speaking Spanish much more important and necessary, something I definitely wanted from an abroad program. While in Barcelona I felt like I heard more English than Spanish or Catalan, definitely not the case in Madrid. 2) Madrid is centrally located in Spain. It was very convenient to be within a 5 hour train ride of every city I wanted to visit, making it possible to see as much of Spain as I did. 3) Madrid is the heart and hub of Spain. From a professional point of view, Madrid definitely had the feel of a big business city most similar to what a businessman is likely to encounter while leaving home for work in the U.S, giving me additional experience in how best to navigate big cities, which is infinitely different than what I grew up around.

The Adelante program is definitely not the typical summer abroad experience from what I read about from other programs online prior to choosing Adelante, but that is not a bad thing. The cost of Adelante was definitely cheaper than any other programs I came across, and this is probably due to the independence the program includes. You will feel as connected to Adelante or as independent in a foreign country as you choose. My girlfriend and I essentially had no contact with Adelante aside from the weekly or biweekly emails they send, and I was completely okay with that, while I understand others may want more of a structured program. If structure is what you are looking for than Adelante probably isn't the right program, but if you want to get a real world experience in a foreign city where you can basically do what you want when you want to do it then I would recommend Adelante. I was a big fan of not having oversight while abroad as it forced me to figure everything out on my own. Adelante was definitely the best program for the best price for what I was hoping to get from a summer abroad, and without a doubt the most valuable experience I've had in my life. Having never been abroad aside from the Caribbean, I was very nervous to leave the U.S, but as im getting ready to leave Spain in another day I cannot wait to figure out where I will travel to next.

Interning in Madrid!

This summer I was able to intern in Madrid through Adelante Abroad who set up my placement & housing in this beautiful city. Even though my original placement was not what I wished to do, they were able to find me another placement that fit my needs better & that I could intern at. Overall, my experience was great & I would recommend interning at Madrid because of its great atmosphere & enriching culture!

Medical Internship in Madrid

By far the best decision I could've made! Adelante handled all the details of my program and set up 2 weeks at the language school Eureka prior to beginning my internship. I was then placed at Clinica Centro and have the priviledge to work alongside some of the best surgeons! The staff was extremely welcoming and they truly made me feel at home. It was a great way to practice my Spanish and some of the staff spoke English so it made learning so much easier. I was surprised at how hands on it would be and I scrubbed in just about every surgery. I found myself working 12 hour work days (minimum requirement 4-5 hrs) because of how much I loved it. The biggest recommendation I could pass on would be to live with Spanish roommates as opposed to Adelante candidates. It gives you so much more of an opportunity to learn, grow, practice your spanish, and definitely get out of your comfort zone!

Awesome Translation Internship!

My internship in Madrid was exactly what I was looking for! My university has a co-op program where we work for a semester instead of taking classes. Unfortunately, as my school does not have a translation major, there were almost no translation co-ops available. Adelante Abroad was one of the only outside options that I saw that guaranteed that I would be actually translating for my co-op as opposed to teaching English. What's more, they quickly let me know that I could either work for a translation agency, or as a translator for a company. I quickly went from having no options to having an abundance of them! What's great about Adelante is that they are with you every step of the way. I never felt alone when applying for a visa, arranging flights, starting my internship, or at any other point during my time in Madrid.

I did a five month program working for a translation agency. It was exactly what I wanted: the opportunity to work in close proximity with other translators. As an added bonus there were always other interns working alongside me from different countries in Europe, meaning I got a lot of exposure to different languages. It was always great helping my new friends out with any questions about English as they translated into French, Italian, German, and of course, Spanish. The office environment was incredibly laid back and I absolutely loved it. Since my contract was for 20 hours a week, the agency let me have any extra hours I worked as vacation time. I worked so many extra hours I had time to go explore Germany, England, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, in addition to areas of Spain. They even let me finish my co-op a week early so I could show my mom and sister around my new home!

Having extensively studied Spanish both in school and abroad in Argentina, language was not much of an issue. Still, the two weeks at the Eureka school were great! It was a really helpful way to ensure that I was getting back in the swing of speaking Spanish every day. Being in the highest level class, the grammar was a little complex, and wasn't something that I ever really remember using. The conversation half class time was great however! The activities were fun, we got to meet a variety of different teachers and hear the different ways they talked, and all the teachers were really helpful with making sure we were learning. The best part for me was learning the differences between the Spanish in Spain and the Mexican/Argentine Spanish I had learned previously (things like they don't say "boletos" over there, etc). Of all the Spanish courses I've ever taken, Eureka was definitely the best, and I would recommend it to anybody, even if they weren't looking to do an internship with Adelante.

My housing was through a company that rents apartments to students, so I was with other (non-Adelante) students either studying or working in Madrid. I lived with students from Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, France, and India. None were native English speakers, but most spoke English decently (and wanted to practice), so we spoke a combination of Spanish and English. We all got along extremely well. The housing was a about a 30 minute metro ride from Sol, which was absolutely perfect for me- the neighborhood was quiet and close to my co-op. I walked to work every morning and back home afterwards, which was great exercise. The apartment was cleaned weekly and any problems were fixed fairly quickly. They even bought us new frying pans when we complained that our old ones were bent!

Adelante is absolutely perfect for getting you an internship in any field that you want, while also giving you the freedom to explore a new country or continent!

Medical Internship in Madrid - Experience of a Lifetime

My internship located in Madrid, Spain, through Adelante Abroad was absolutely phenomenal. I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to work in an orthopedic/trauma hospital called Clinica CEMTRO, alongside some of the top orthopedic surgeons in Europe. There, I was exposed to the ins and outs of life as a surgeon, as I spent my days shadowing doctors both in patient consultations and in the operating room. As a result, I often ended up working between 9-14 hours a day; instead, of only 4-5 as I had expected. I was able leave whenever I wanted, however, I wanted to make the most of my 3-month internship. It was also by working such long hours, that I was truly able to build better relationships with my colleagues and supervisors.

Prior to beginning my internship, I studied Spanish throughout high school and then for two weeks at the Eureka language school. Despite this however, I still had great difficulty communicating with the patients, nurses and doctors. As a result, this working environment truly challenged me to improve my Spanish language abilities. Now that I have completed my program, I can confidently say that I am able to read, write, and converse at a much more advanced level The knowledge that I gained in the past three months is incomparable to that which I gained after 6 years of studying the language in school.

During my time in Madrid, I lived in a quaint apartment located in the heart of city. Constantly surrounded by people, cultures and attractions, I was able to truly experience its vibrant nature. It is often said that New York is "The City That Never Sleeps", but anyone who says that, has clearly never gone to Madrid. Whether it was going for tapas and cerveza (beer), spending the day at one of the many museums, or dancing the night away at a nearby salsa club, there was never a dull moment.

Overall, this was a truly invaluable experience, and I can now say that I certainly want to become a doctor, and possibly a surgeon due to my internship experience. I would definitely encourage anyone seeking career exploration, an adventure, and personal growth to pursue an internship position through Adelante.

Autumn in Madrid

Adelante's program in Madrid is one of the finest internship-abroad experiences one could ask for. The program has situated itself with ideal living conditions, located directly in the heart of the city (basically in puerta del sol). Madrid itself is a city with tons of things to do, people to meet, and culture to be explored, so, for one, you will never be bored. I chose to intern in the international business sector, working for a company called IFEMA, organizing international professional fairs. Working in a spanish company was quite invaluable to my maturation as an adult as well as an employee. Your spanish and language skills improve immensely and you learn how to integrate in a foreign culture. On top of that, adelante's internship hour regulations allow you ample time to explore other activities and meet new people and travel within Europe. Its an incredibly individual experience and one that, i believe, is quite invaluable to any student looking for something more, something different.

2 weeks at Eureka + 2 months of "Practicas" in Madrid

This was probably one of the best experiences of my life. The people at Eureka are amazingly kind and welcoming, and the people that you meet are all very interesting. Also, we all had one thing in common-we wanted to improve our Spanish! My practicas/practical was in a geriatric residence and I was able to interact with the patients there by helping them with their daily physical exercise routine, mental games, and mealtime. Although it was only 4 hours a day, I enjoyed being around the nurses and residents, using the Spanish that I was learning. Adelante does a good job of following up with you to make sure that you are okay, and the directors at Eureka really take care of you. The location of the apartments are also very convenient, and with all the friends that I made, it was easy to not be alone.

One of the best experiences in my life!

Interning and living in Madrid was an experience I will never forget. I have absolutely fallen in love with the city and the people. Choosing Adelante was a great choice because they have great contacts in Spain. Eureka was a great academy in where to review Spanish. The classes were not too big or too small and I was able to meet so many international students there (from Germany, Japan, S. Korea, Italy, Africa). Housing was also great; you are located right in the center of the city. So many things to do and see and a lot of it is within walking distance.

As for my internship it was amazing. I will really miss the people I have come to meet there. IFEMA is such a great company to work for and I really feel I have learned a lot.

I could not have been in better hands with this program. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

AWESOME

Do this. Absolutely go do this. I was an intern at an immigration law firm in Madrid which is exactly the type of placement that I wanted as well as living with 3 native Spanish university students. Madrid is so fun and in a prime location to visit everything you could dream of in the city itself, surrounding cities within Spain, and neighboring countries in the EU. You will cheat yourself on life if you do not live abroad.

Psychology in Madrid

I have just returned from a two month stay in Madrid. Overall, I had a very good time. The language school
is one of the best I have ever attended, and the teachers and the director are always helpful and friendly. I was staying in an apartment in the same building as the school, in a very good location just five minutes from Puerta de Sol, which is the very centre of Madrid. The apartment was nice, and any problem was fixed quickly by the staff. I was also very happy that I could have friends staying with me for a couple of days.
After two weeks of language classes, I started my internship with a Psychiatrist and his team. It was a very good experience, both personally and professionally. Everybody was very nice, trying to make me feel welcome, and helping me with language problems. It was of course a bit daunting at first, but in the end I was very sorry to leave. I got to sit in during therapy sessions, and also to talk to patients myself while they waited or did some tests etc. The Doctor was always happy to explain things and I learned a lot, especially on CBT and pharmacotherapy. I think it s a valuable experience for anyone wanting to go into counseling psychology, but I think a good Spanish level is important so you can communicate with the patients, and you need to be prepared to adjust to the rhythm of the 'Consulta'. Not all patients are comfortable to have others around during the sessions, so there can be quite some time spend waiting around, and the working hours are irregular.
My tip would be to read some of the Doctor's books before going, it's very helpful.
As to the city, I have been to Madrid many times already, and love the place, it's beautiful, people are great, and there is lots to do. I would definitively recommend this program.

Wonderful Experience!

If I had the chance to do this program again I would not bat an eye!! Adelante hands down would be my number one choice! From start to finish was a wonderful experience and still to this day I have great memories of being able to work and live in such an amazing city like Madrid! The ability of being able to work and live in a foreign country is priceless and only wish more people would do it!! If you are even considering it... dont look back...start packing and enjoy the ride!!

Seize your summer!

My Madrid summer with Adelante was amazing. As a graduate student, I was worried that this program wouldn't be rigorous enough for me but I am happy to say I was wrong. My internship was so practical and, unlike in the US, I was given responsibility on projects and trusted with complex tasks that were presented to clients. My Spanish also improved more than I expected it to and now I feel comfortable talking to any Spanish speaker! Part of the draw of Adelante is all the planning they do for you before you even set foot in the country and it was such a relief to not have to try to find housing or get an interview for the job I worked for. If you want to go abroad, experience a new culture and get seriously good experience, Adelante is for you.

Madrid, Jan and Feb

I had a great time in Madrid! I already speak Spanish so I was able to live with four girls (who were not on Adelante) from various countries and communicate entirely in Spanish (some of them didn't speak English at all). My internship shadowing Dr Enrique Rojas was wonderful and I learned so much about psychology and psychiatry. I sat in on most of Dr. Rojas' sessions, received lessons during free time, and even conducted a few one-on-one sessions with patients on my own. The social-life was also great, I fell in love with Madrid as a city and can't wait to go back as soon as possible!

As a side note (this is neither good nor bad): I wanted to be very independent on this program and I was able to be (especially because I was not housed in Adelante apartments). I lived abroad for almost half of my life growing up and have been to over 35 countries so I loved that, but I would caution others who might not feel as comfortable navigating a new city/language/culture to live in non-adelante housing because you receive a lot less support.

An experience anyone can learn from!

I spent five months with Adelante in Madrid and already knew I would miss it after the first few days. It has been really an experience of a lifetime because not only did I learn about my field in my job but I also made some incredible friends and some incredible memories.

A great experience

I had an awesome time with Adelante! This was my first time in Europe and they definitely helped me to have a great time. I decided to take a year off school for personal reasons, so I signed up for Adelante to stay in Madrid for six months and it was a blast. All the staff that I talked to were super helpful, both while I was applying and during my stay. The housing was awesome. The apartment itself was just fine, but the location was amazing. I was living right in the center of the city, which was incredible, there was so much to do nearby (Adelante has several locations in Madrid, so you may not get this location depending on how far in advance you apply). It was also really nice having roommates, as they were some of my best friends while I was there. I found the language classes offered in the program to be pretty helpful. I continued to take classes while I was there, just not at the same school that works with Adelante, as their prices are a bit high.
The internship, while not the highlight of my stay, was definitely interesting and helpful. I worked for a financial consulting company that analyzed the US stock market. I didn't know anything about the market before I came, but working in the office for 6 months definitely helped me pick up a few things, although I would have liked to learn more.
All in all, I highly recommend Adelante. I personally feel that living abroad is an experience that everyone should have, and Adelante is a pretty awesome way to do just that.

Definitely worth it!

I was very hesitant to do a program like this but I am so happy I did! From the beginning, the Adelante staff was nothing but helpful. I had over a million questions and I am pretty sure I emailed Jeramee about 5 times a day and she replied every single time. They keep you updated (and calm) while you're in the states and continuously check in while you're abroad. The staff in Madrid is awesome as well and will always help if you need anything. For the first two weeks you're in language classes for about 4 hours a day which may seem long but they are necessary. I was slightly annoyed because I thought I wouldn't need two weeks of Spanish classes considering I took Spanish for 3 years but I definitely needed them. The teachers are great and the classes improve your Spanish, I wish I could have taken them the entire time I was here. The only critique I have is the housing situation. For me, I was only there for 6 weeks so I sucked up and dealt with it but others have been here for months at a time and it's not really fair. The room wasn't entirely clean when I arrived and the bathroom was dirty and had a few bugs so a flat mate and I had to clean it. Also it says there's a maid but there isn't so don't expect new sheets or someone cleaning the floors, it's all you. But that has nothing to with program, it's the people running the school. However, the apartment is located in the heart of Sol so you're close to everything: food, shops, metro, school and entertainment. It's also pretty easy to make friends because most people are doing this program alone. I made friends that I know I'll have for a lifetime. And as for the best part of my experience: the internship. I would NEVER have been able to get an internship like the one I have here in America. I was able to get hands on experience, work with an amazing foundation and meet the kindest people. I know I'll still remain in contact with them in the future.

Overall, I highly recommend this program. The staff, the location, the experience, it's all worth it. I feel like I grew a lot as a person through this program and learned from talented professionals. The other nice thing about this intern abroad program is you're not working all day everyday so you have plenty of time to explore the city as well as other cities which I recommend as well. If you want to do something for yourself that will benefit your professional, academic and personal life, this is the program for you.

• Adelante Abroad responded to this review December 20, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Hola Shayan! Thank you, thank you for your positive overview and detailed review, your comments are so helpful. I wish we could have known from the get go about the misses by the cleaning service. During our regular check-in's with you, you didn't mention it so hearing about it now is a surprise and we are so sorry about that! And yes, our Director has several Adelante apartments in Madrid to oversee, with the cleaning service scheduled once a week - sheets too are cleaned every two weeks, is the norm. We will definitely make sure to triple check that apartment's service moving forward as well as ask our candidates to let us know, too. Good luck in all future endeavors and thank you again. Team Adelante

Madrid Medical Internship

I was placed in Adelante's medical program in Madrid, Spain, for two months during their summer session. My housing was in the heart of Madrid, located in Puerta del Sol. The apartment was fine for a short stay, nothing extremely special about it, but you do get your own room which is great; there were 6 bedrooms in my apartment with 2 bathrooms to share between the roommates. My roommates were in other program areas with Adelante, but we got along great and they are really what made my trip special. My internship placement was with a sports medicine surgeon, and I was allowed to view consults and surgeries, giving me a great medical experience before applying to med school. I learned a lot from my trip!

Spanish summer of my dreams

My time in Madrid was wonderful, but what everybody needs to know and what I quickly learned is that your experience abroad depends almost entirely on what you make it. The first two weeks of classes went fine. I was placed in an intermediate class "because I had been taught Latin American Spanish and I could brush up on some basics," but I felt that I didn't learn all that much. The classes were geared towards the people that were there long term, since we spent the whole two weeks going over direct and indirect pronouns during the grammar section. I thought that we would be getting more of an intensive overview of Spanish grammar to remember the main points, but the conversation section was great to learn new vocabulary and get used to speaking Spanish again! After the two weeks of classes, I started out at one company that ended up being a horrible fit, but Adelante quickly helped me to find another placement at IFEMA (Feria de Madrid). It's a huge business, and it was an incredible experience to work at such a big company while still a student. I had a few projects to do, but I also had a lot of downtime where I browsed the internet to kill time. Some of this could probably be attributed to the slower summer season and my short time there, but if I were to re-do my summer I would probably choose something more hands on. I did a lot of Spanish writing, but I feel like I did not get to practice my spoken Spanish as much as I would have liked to. I traveled a little bit since I was on a tight budget, but I definitely want to come back to see more. Madrid is filled with endless shops, restaurants, bars, and clubs, and I tried my best to check out the most popular places and some of the more obscure ones as well.

Starting my Career in Madrid

Overall I had an amazing experience with this program. The two week Spanish language lessons were a huge help with integrating into the country. Also the company I worked with was the same one that I was starting with full time in the US so I had a chance to gain specific and real world experience while working there. I met some great people both in and outside of the program as well. I love how independent the program is and allows you to explore and travel as you please.

I wish the directors of the school who run the campus housing were more friendly and understanding. They just come into your apartment whenever they feel like it and treat you like children in regards to cleaning the apartment and when you are allowed to have friends over. It is in a great location, but it is very hot and noisy especially in the summer because there is no air condition in the apartment and Madrid gets very hot. The internship director that works with the school in Madrid does not speak any English so that poses a problem sometimes with communication. Also, he tried to encourage us to work 40 hours a week even though we were told we would only be working 20 hours a week. Eventually we got everything taken care of but it was surprising that he would tell us to do that.

Nursing In Madrid

I am finishing my Bachelors in Nursing, with a Spanish minor, so I was looking for a unique internship in a hospital setting. I applied to Adelante with this in mind, and they found a great choice for me! I was placed in a hospital with an orthopedic surgeon. I assisted him in the operating room and in consultations before and after surgery. It was definitely hard to adjust to the language difference, especially since surgical and medical words are sometimes quite complex. However, the doctors were very patient and I quickly became comfortable working and speaking in tense situations in hospital. The surgical team of nurses and doctors took me under their wing and taught me so much. Each and every nurse and doctor I worked with was truly exceptional.

A little trouble with the living situation. I was in a 6 bedroom apartment, where I was under the impression that everyone would be an English- speaker. However, I was the only American (which was fine) but only 2 of my roommates spoke English. 2 did not speak English or Spanish. Even with the language barrier, we all got along.

Excellent Program, Un-excellent Living Situation

I held out on writing this review for a while because my overall Adelante experience was great and I really appreciated the staff's support. However, I felt extremely targeted by the director of our Spanish language school, who also happened to be our landlord. From the beginning of the summer I was extremely respectful to him and tried to maintain a formal relationship with him. I always used usted, called him Sr., used his last name instead of addressing him by his first name, and never spoke to him in a tone that I would not use with a professor or any other respected adult. Despite all of this, I felt that I was treated differently than the other roommates. I won't mention my race because I don't actually think it is important, but I do feel that I was treated differently because of it. Whenever there was an issue in the apartment (like alchocol bottles being left out, loud conversations at night, guests sleeping over,) he would automatically show up at my door with the assumption that I must be the root of the problem. Although I was nothing but respectful to this person, I felt that I was always treated as suspect despite my obedient demeanor. One time there was a complaint about "The Americans" being too loud at night. Instead of having a conversation with all of the Americans in the house at the same time, he decided to talk to us seperately. None of the other Americans were ever accused of causing the problem but to me he said "You cannot act as you would in your own country, you have to respect the other cultures of the people living this apartment." It was only when I spoke with my roommates that I realized that the tone of my conversation with him was much different than theirs. Another time, other program participants and mutual friends of all of the roommates decided to stay the night and sleep on the couch. This was against the rules and we were all very clear on this. In the morning, when the director came and saw the two of them sleeping on the couch he immediately marched to my locked door and banged on it until I woke up. He told me that "that was it, [I] would not be getting my deposit back." My other roommate, who was just as close to the two visitors as I was, slept peacefully on the other side of the apartment and was never woken up, talked to, or threatened. Although I do not think the director was a conscious bigot or trying to be malicious in his interactions with me, I do think he made assumptions about which type of Americans are "trouble makers" and which types aren't based on what he's seen on TV or heard from others. It created an uneasy relationship between us and made me afraid to ask him for help for things that I needed, like a fan, or someone to fix the internet. I would do Adelante all over again in a heartbeat but I would never live in an apartment owned by him again.

I wish I had chosen to live with a Spanish roommate and done an internship based in Spain as oposed to an American company that does work in Spain but overall I learned a lot.

Adelante staff is great and maintains a strong line of communication with the interns throughout the program. They were really attentive and provided great support.

Madrid Practica

I had an amazing time in Madrid. My internship was teaching English in a community organization. I loved working with the kids and had a great time. My Spanish improved immensely by having Spanish co-workers. I lived in housing with two friends that was just south of the Palacio Real. It was nice accommodations (aside from trying to figure out the washing machine!). I also appreciated having my own place, rather than in the language school's housing, which had to worry about noise complaints and unfriendly housekeeping.

STOP LOOKING FOR A BETTER OPTION

TONS OF POSITIVE COMMENTS!

I did my research before choosing this program, as I concluded this was the most personalized experience I could have. Adelante was extremely helpful in-country and abroad in accommodating my interests.
I decided to do this after graduating from college, as I wanted to have an experience abroad, more specifically in Spain, and get some experience prior to entering grad school in the fall. I was looking for a psychology internship that would guide my interests in graduate school, and I got it.
I worked with a non-profit organization that provides services for immigrants in Spain. Given that I am a native speaker, I was able to take on more responsibilities and co-coordinate a summer camp for children with the program director. I was placed in the same organization with a friend with a beginners level of spanish and her responsibilities were based on the service she provided teaching english. Together we volunteered to teach english to the summer camp children as a part of the program, and it worked very well given our respective language levels.
I was also looking for a place that would allow me to work hands-on with children, since I am considering working with them in the future. To design the camp, I worked with the social psychologist on site and was given a lot of freedom to design a curriculum to teach english and work on their developmental needs. It was a challenge because the group consisted of 47 kids ages 4-12, all together, but it was very rewarding and there was a lot of support from Spanish volunteers. In addition, I faced a lot of the cultural and socioeconomic issues that affected these children, which was important in understanding their needs as first or second generation immigrants. Overall, my internship experience was FENOMENAL. There was a clinical psychologist on site as well, and he welcomed observation as well. He ran emotional intelligence workshops for adults. My supervisor and my co-workers were all very friendly and they really appreciated the work. This goes for my friend as well, and in her case they really appreciated the effort to communicate in spanish.

THE FUN PART

General feelings on culture
SPAIN IS A MUST! The culture is extremely welcoming, the nightlife is ongoing, the bars can be anything from a family friendly block bar to a dancing night club bar. The society is much more liberal than in America, which means you will either have a great experience soaking in their lifestyle and non-judgmental views, or you may find it a bit uncomfortable when you walk down the street and see couples openly displaying their affections, be it heterosexual or homosexual. That is up to you. I personally found it was a positive experience. For the most part it was very liberating to be in an environment where people really don't think twice about "awkward moments" or "outrageous clothing" or PDA. PS- I am not a "hipster"- whatever that means. Spanish people live their lives on their terms and no one else's, and that really come through in their culture.

Shopping:
If you go over the summer, wait until july or august to shop. Their summer sale is amazing and you will save some money

Traveling:
Summer traveling is a bit more expensive due to the season, but if you are in Madrid there are plenty of nearby cities you can visit on day trips that'll cost anywhere from 10-20 euros roundtrip.

Food:
TRY EVERYTHING even if you don't know what it is. Chances are you will get something strange every now and then, but most of it will be delicious.

Final word: GO

Only negative review: housing through the spanish academy is not ideal. They tend to be more strict because not all the student living in the apartment are part of Adelante, and they have to respect everyone's needs. For obvious reasons they do not encourage social gatherings (by this I mean a dinner of 6-8 people, not a party) in apartments where other roommates may be language students who also work etc. (friends lived in this housing)
I lived in Aluni Housing (you get this when you request to live with spanish roommates). much more laid back and they do not meddle in how you handle your living space (which you do pay for after all). They also have better cleaning service, from what I heard from students living in academy housing.

Great Program in a Wonderful City!

Through Adelante Abroad I was able to spend three fantastic months in Madrid! While I had been to the city once before, I missed out on a study abroad experience in college so I wasn't exactly sure what an extended stay in a foreign country would be like. Thankfully Adelante helped immensely with the lead-up - with an involved pre-departure orientation - and with the transition once there. They had me picked up at the airport, transported to the front door of my lodgings, and immediately plugged into two weeks of language classes at Academia Eureka. My apartment was incredibly well located; practically in Puerta del Sol (the city hub of activity and transportation). The language institute director, my internship advisor, and the Adelante coordinators/directors back home in the US were friendly, helpful, and attentive throughout the entire process. I never once felt that if I needed assistance their support would not be there. After my classes at the language institute, I move on to my internship at a Spanish film company. Notably, this is not a usual area of focus that is requested of Adelante, but they worked with me to customize a more than suitable internship. My bosses (an independent director and his business partner) and my coworkers were very nice and patient with me. Through my internship I got a good look at how the business of cinema is handled in Spain, and I also gained a friend during my time in Madrid, as my most immediate coworker was around my age. Through him, my classmates, and flatmates, I stayed social and interacted with people from countries all over the world: Spain (of course), but also Germany, Korea, Italy, Japan, China, Russia, Brazil, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands, Panama, and others. I would do it all again in a heartbeat...

I lived in the housing w/ people from all over the world (many of whom could speak English), so I wasn't exactly surrounded by Spaniards/Spanish at all times. BUT! Adelante offers the option of host families and whatnot, so the slightly lower level of immersion is really my fault...