Internships in Ecuador - Adelante Abroad
Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Ecuador - Adelante Abroad

Human rights internship

I was placed in an NGO that specializes in carrying out human rights projects with a focus in gender issues. Everyone with whom I worked was wonderful. I was placed in 'Corporacion de Estudios DECIDE,' where I was part of a small, intimate, highly competent team. I felt like my opinion was highly valued and had a real impact on project decisions. The experience illuminated what a career in international human rights might look like, especially from an NGO's perspective in Latin America. The only drawback to this approach to trying to self-actualize through civil society is a lack of funds. Most of my work consisted of writing grants in the hope of obtaining money to later carry out projects. It was rewarding to write a grant that received $25,000 in funding from the US Dept of State. Also, having studied political science in college, this experience was like political science applied, which I liked. Finally, I was given sufficient autonomy to help shape what the project looked like instead of simply translating and following instructions. Luckily I was volunteering and not dependent on an income of any sort, otherwise I would not have been able to afford doing such work; in other words, NGO work is not a lucrative career path, but it was morally fulfilling.

Quito is not a city I would live in. Surrounding areas are beautiful, but the city itself is dense, filled with smog, unorganized, and not all together safe. However, the people are fantastic. Albeit a little too religious, they are nevertheless excellent hosts, incredibly nice, and will be some of my best friends for life.

Food is not great. Food is bland and there is not a lot of meat.

Imported products are exorbitantly priced due to protectionist tax measures. Services, such as taxis and laundry, are dirt cheap.

Despite any negative comments above, I would completely recommend this experience to anyone. It is up to the individual to take from an experience what he or she may. And any negative experience can be turned into a positive one with the right thought process. And I imagine those of you looking into this program are not the type looking to spend a week at a beach resort in Cancun, Mexico; this is not that. This allows you to get a feel for how another group of people live, where you can live and breath a different language, learn new history, observe distinct social processes, and grow significantly as a person.