Internships in Ecuador - Adelante Abroad
Adelante Abroad Adelante Abroad

Internships in Ecuador - Adelante Abroad

Medical internship

My time in Ecuador was a trip that I will never forget. Adelante does a great job in setting up a network in order to get you the best experience in terms of living and job placement. During my internship, I got the chance to have a hands on experience learning how to take blood, administer IV’s, attend wounds, and have an up close experience observing simple surgeries. I also got the chance to be fully submerged in a culture completely different then what I am used to. I was able to improve my soonish skills as well as learning about a beautiful and new culture. My time spent with my host family was one that I will never forget as well as the amount of friends I made while I was there. Adelante did a great job in making sure we had a program director we could count on for anything. I highly recommend this program to anyone seeking out an experience that can make you outstanding to employers as well as making you a better person all around.

two-month internship in Quito

This program has a lot to offer the independent traveler. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience living with a host-family, having one-on-one Spanish lessons, and working for a marketing and communications firm in the city of Quito. I was fortunate to be here at the same time as many other students, some from the U.S. and some from around the world, that shared the same local program director as me. Thus, I was able to travel (affordably) around the country with new friends every weekend. I think this program would be difficult for someone who wants all of their time organized by an outside party. However, if you like having freedom to explore and use your time as you want to, this program is an ideal option for you. The city of Quito is large and intimidating, but it is not impossible to figure out. In fact, figuring it out is part of the adventure.

Human rights internship

I was placed in an NGO that specializes in carrying out human rights projects with a focus in gender issues. Everyone with whom I worked was wonderful. I was placed in 'Corporacion de Estudios DECIDE,' where I was part of a small, intimate, highly competent team. I felt like my opinion was highly valued and had a real impact on project decisions. The experience illuminated what a career in international human rights might look like, especially from an NGO's perspective in Latin America. The only drawback to this approach to trying to self-actualize through civil society is a lack of funds. Most of my work consisted of writing grants in the hope of obtaining money to later carry out projects. It was rewarding to write a grant that received $25,000 in funding from the US Dept of State. Also, having studied political science in college, this experience was like political science applied, which I liked. Finally, I was given sufficient autonomy to help shape what the project looked like instead of simply translating and following instructions. Luckily I was volunteering and not dependent on an income of any sort, otherwise I would not have been able to afford doing such work; in other words, NGO work is not a lucrative career path, but it was morally fulfilling.

Quito is not a city I would live in. Surrounding areas are beautiful, but the city itself is dense, filled with smog, unorganized, and not all together safe. However, the people are fantastic. Albeit a little too religious, they are nevertheless excellent hosts, incredibly nice, and will be some of my best friends for life.

Food is not great. Food is bland and there is not a lot of meat.

Imported products are exorbitantly priced due to protectionist tax measures. Services, such as taxis and laundry, are dirt cheap.

Despite any negative comments above, I would completely recommend this experience to anyone. It is up to the individual to take from an experience what he or she may. And any negative experience can be turned into a positive one with the right thought process. And I imagine those of you looking into this program are not the type looking to spend a week at a beach resort in Cancun, Mexico; this is not that. This allows you to get a feel for how another group of people live, where you can live and breath a different language, learn new history, observe distinct social processes, and grow significantly as a person.

Summer in Quito!

Spending part of my summer in Quito was an amazing opportunity. While there were rough moments/challenges, I gained so much experience. I knew minimal Spanish when I arrived, and was able to learn the language very quickly with my classes. I also gained a huge amount of academic/professional experience. If you're looking to travel, gain a lot of hands on career practice, and overall life experience, this is a great program. Happy I decided to travel with Adelante.