API at The University of Seville in Seville, Spain
A man on top of a mountain A man on top of a mountain

API at The University of Seville in Seville, Spain

Incredible academic year in Seville

I studied abroad in Seville, Spain with Academic Programs International for the 2016-2017 academic year. This program stood out to me because of the options to take both courses in Spanish and in English, live with a host family, and the included excursions! I learned a lot about being independent while studying in Seville, and I made lifelong friends. I felt very supported by the API program staff, but also like I was living in a foreign country on my own, which is something I wanted out of my experience. API was the most affordable option that I found, while also including so much more in their program than others.

Universidad de Sevilla is a centrally located university in Seville, and it's close to many shops, restaurants, and historical sites. I was able to take both English and Spanish courses, and received credit for all of them. My favorite classes included Painting in Literary Seville, a water color class, and Literatura y Cocina, a combined literary and cooking class. I also took some incredible history courses that actually involved a lot of time outside of the classroom, at historical sites and museums in and around Seville. I think that the classes were challenging in that many of them were long lectures entirely in Spanish, but the workload was very manageable.

I chose to live with a host family in Seville, and I think that this really added to my overall experience, and to my immersion in the local culture. My family consisted of a host mom, a host grandmother, and a host uncle. I also had an American roommate, another student from API. The family provided all of our meals, and also provided a lot of helpful information about the city. If you are looking to really improve your Spanish, choosing to live with a host family is the way to do it! I ate most of my meals at home, which meant a lot of my time was spent in Spanish conversation with my host mom.

My favorite aspect of my program with API was the availability of such incredible excursions, all included in the program! This is something that really sets API programs apart from other program providers. I was able to see and experience so many things in my host country that I know I would not have even known about otherwise. My favorite excursions include a trip to Extremadura, where we hiked 13 miles to the Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery, and a trip to Aracena to make bread. The international excursions were incredible as well, and during the 2016-2017 year we went on an excursion to Paris and to Lisbon. Although the excursions are constantly changing, no matter where you go with API, you'll have an incredible time.

If you are considering studying abroad in Spain, Seville is a lively, warm city with close proximity to an airport, which is important if you are planning to travel during your time abroad! I looked at many of API's programs in Spain, but the proximity of an airport was a deciding factor for me, as well as the size of the city. Seville has a population of about 700,000, which means that you'll never run out of things to do or see. While I did love Seville, I think that if I would do it again, I would maybe have chosen to study in two different cities in Spain with API, one each semester. It can be difficult to make friends with the new student arrivals your second semester, as you are much more integrated into the host city than they are.

The excursions and affordability of API's programs in particular really sold me, and I'm so glad that I made the decision I did! Having the ability to take a wide variety of courses in both English and Spanish also helped me to find credits that would transfer to my home university. I was able to finish my Spanish minor at the Universidad de Sevilla, and am now participating in the Global Leadership Academy through API, to continue integrating international experience into my final year at my home university. I could not recommend studying abroad with API more, and Seville is an incredible place to study!

Best Decision I've Ever Made!

Studying abroad in Sevilla was the best decision Ive ever made. The city is stunning, the classes were in a gorgeous university with local Spanish students and everyone is so friendly. It's a great place to solidify your fluency in Spanish. Make sure to live with a host family for an even more authentic experience! I would HIGHLY recommend this!!

• Academic Programs International responded to this review July 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for sharing- it's great to hear that you had such a positive and unique experience abroad!

Learning experience of a lifetime

Traveling to Morocco, Africa is a learning experience of a lifetime

Experiencing culture and language in Seville

My experience has been amazing so far! I love the culture and food, and my Spanish language skills are improving everyday. I hope to come back here again someday!

Sevilla as a home base

I've had a great time in Sevilla but have also really enjoyed the trips I've been able to take from here. I do wish Sevilla has stronger character, but overall, great!

Great Study Experience

Seville is a great low key city that makes a great "home base" to travel from. Rich in history, this city has an enormous amounts of sites to see! Check out Alfalfa and Calle Betiz. :)

Amazing experience

My experience has been remarkable in the sense that I have grown in so many different ways- as a person and a student, and instead of feeling confident to be a part of one nation and one identity, I feel as if I no longer have boundaries and getting that feeling makes me feel more capable of tackling many adventures and problems.

Sevilla is wonderful!

Sevilla is the perfect city to be abroad in. The people are welcoming and the culture is abundant. Also, you are too far away from many other locations such as Morocco, Portugal, Italy, and France. The weather is also perfect.