Saint Laurent, France: French Study and Homestay Immersion
Abbey Roads Programs Abbey Roads Programs

Saint Laurent, France: French Study and Homestay Immersion

• Personal Development

I miss my time in France!

I stayed in St. Laurent du Var for 4 weeks with the Mulet family, an older husband and wife with three sons. The house was pretty big so three other students stayed there as well.

We attended a French "class" 5 days a week for 3 hours at St. Laurent's City Hall. The class was taught by French teachers that were also our full time chaperones through trips and tours. Classes were divided into three skill levels based on a evaluation done in the beginning of the program. Class was held in a variety of places such as a classroom, the City Hall lawn, and a cafe. After class, we would have electives in which the choices were Photography, French Conversation, and Art. Electives would occur after lunch and around St. Laurent.

We took a trip almost everyday, mostly to Nice, but also Antibes, Cannes, Monaco, St. Tropez, Gorges du Verdon, and Italy! We also did activities in surrounding small towns. There was about 2-4 teachers/chaperones with us at all times, depending on where we were traveling. I enjoyed the program so much and I wish I could repeat the experiences everyday. I formed such a close relationship with my French family and made so many new friends that I still talk to today.

Summer in St. Laurent 2017

The program was very good for my son, Christian. It certainly broadened his horizons from our small town environment. Christian enjoyed himself immensely and enjoyed meeting new people. The hosts were very friendly and well established in the community. We went for the full experience that included Paris.

The classes were good and the staff was excellent from the reports I received. The program seemed to be well run and they watched carefully over the students. I believe much was entrusted to the host families and they seemed to have been carefully selected. We would send our son again and have no regrets. He come back with a good grasp of the language and was able to dialogue with others in the language by the end.

• Personal Development

Summer of a lifetime in France

The Abbey Road program in St. Laurent was an awesome life experience for my son and we were thrilled with everything about the program. The family he stayed with was very nice. There was one other boy staying there with him (and a third for the last week). They often ate meals with the host family and interacted a great deal so that was helpful to his French language experience. Plus, his host mother was a great cook.

They did have some independence, appropriate for teenagers, but it was always my impression (with the limited information you get from a teenage boy) that there was a lot of structure and guidance and it seemed to us that they were always safe and appropriately supervised.

We were very happy with the French language instruction. They had a good amount of classes and, I think more importantly, they seemed to incorporate learning in every activity they did. For instance, when they went to museums the students had to find a work of art that they liked and then come back to the group and give a brief talk about it in French.Speaking of museums, they visited many and the trip had a good amount of cultural activities overall.

The staff was good and, in particular, Anthony spoke highly of Vicky, the lady who led their program in St. Laurent. From start to finish the program gave a lot of guidance and communicated very well, including giving regular updates (in the form of a blog with pictures) of their activities.

My husband and I highly recommend Abbey Road and thought it was worth every penny. It is a lot of fun for the kids but it is definitely not a party trip or even just a vacation trip.