Volunteer Nepal Kathmandu Pre Medical Pre Nursing Programs
A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Volunteer Nepal Kathmandu Pre Medical Pre Nursing Programs

EMT in Nepal

Before I left for my travels earlier this year I completed the necessary training to receive my EMT certificate in the states. After some searching online, I found this opportunity and thought it would be a great way to combine my travels with my newly learned skills.
The pre medical program was a fantastic way to experience a different hospital environment in a place with limited resources. I had the opportunity to observe the ER general OPP multiple endoscopies, the path lab and 4 surgeries during my 3 weeks.
The bedrooms and common space provided were both very nice in areas to stay for 3 weeks. Enough space was provided even with 7 volunteers, the volunteer house is very big and safe.
And I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed everything about Nepal. Its challenges, its food, its people made it an amazing experience and I want to return very soon.

Amazing experience

This volunteer program was an amazing experience, I went to Nepal Kathmandu to the medical program. I worked in the hospital for 4 weeks. I did so much and learned much more. I did helped the community doing daily “Health Camps”. We checked blood pressures and blood sugars for early hypertension and diabetes detection. We typically saw 60-80 people in the 2 hours we did the camp. Then it was back to the hospital, where I mostly helped in the emergency department. I helped starting IV drips, medication administration, ECGs (with an old, but very cool ECG machine), vital signs and wound care. I also started following the outpatient department (OPD) physician. He taught me a lot! I saw a patient come into the ward with abdominal pain, assessed with appendicitis), I cleaned his wound the following week. The entire process was interesting and educational. I saw at least 3 endoscopy procedures, one of which was a patient with gastric (stomach) and duodenal (small intestine) worms! Overall, the best advice I can give next volunteer is "you will get out of this experience what you put in". Don’t be afraid to ask questions and offer your help. To help immerse yourself with the hospital staff and especially if you’re staying for longer than 1 week, take the Nepali language immersion class. I was to say things in Nepali to staff members, patients and strangers alike. I think it helped them welcome me more into their culture and lives. I felt very safe at home, including my personal belongings. I felt safe at work too. I had my own locker. Incredibly supportive and welcoming people. My host dad took me to the clinic when I was sick (I went to a local food market..bad idea). My host mom always made sure I was fed. They were so nice and loving people.