A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Teaching School English Volunteer Abroad Chile La Serena with A Broader View

Colonial La Serena

I had a tremendously positive experience during my 6 weeks in La Serena. The school staff and students were all very welcoming and eager to have a native English speaker with them and they were all very friendly. The host accommodation far exceeded my expectations. Vilma the host mother had the perfect temperament for the job, offering a comfortable home with beautiful home cooked meals and time to talk and laugh in the evenings. The neighborhood of both the accommodation and the school were very safe and I would highly recommend this program to anyone, particularly with Vilma she is the coordinator of the program as you couldn’t ask for more hospitality or a more seamless transition into volunteering. It was my first experience volunteering and its an experience I’ll never forget.

Volunteering in Chilean Schools

ABV is a not for profit organization and really keeps the focus on the volunteer and the work that the volunteer does, instead of the business. I highly recommend ABV--my host family was extremely kind and helpful, the coordinator was involved and always available, and the people I worked with wanted me to be there and made me feel useful. All of the promised services were provided. However, as with any volunteering experience, situations are different and never match up to expectations. Most importantly the success of a volunteer depends on the volunteer. You must be the type of person who can take initiative and doesn't wait for others to come to you. You have to be comfortable with being different, and embrace those differences, always sharing and learning with others. I helped teach English in Chile, and felt like a celebrity in the school. Whenever I entered into the patio students would rush up to me with their many questions for me about life in the U.S., or my personal life. The constant questioning never bothered me, and I looked at it as an opportunity to build connections, while allowing kids to practice their English.