Spend a semester or summer in the Czech Republic with CISabroad! Although it has only been a country since 1993, the Czech Republic is quickly becoming one of the most popular travel destinations in Eastern Europe! And for good reason – its architecture, cuisine and progressive culture make it a place you’d be lucky to call home for a few months.
- Search for 931 organizations offering a total of 4922 Study Abroad programs -
Top Mistakes To Avoid When Studying Abroad
So you’re leaving to study abroad! You are about to have the time of your life — your friends back home are so jealous — and you are going to do this up right! For most students, studying abroad is the single most memorable thing they’ll do in their university life. But some common mistakes can really wreck what should be a fantastic international experience. Avoid these, and you’ll get the most out of your time abroad.
Don’t blow off the “study” in study abroad! Photo by Troy Peden
1. Drinking Too Much. This is the most common one. Don’t be the ridiculous American doing 20 shots and puking on the cobblestone streets. Putting yourself at risk for accidents, stupid decisions, and legal trouble when you are abroad is just a bad idea. You may be in a country where drinking is part of the culture, but nobody likes an obnoxious drunk anywhere in the world. Also, it can’t be emphasized enough: you look like a jerk. Don’t embarrass your school (or your nationality, for that matter) by being out of control.
2. Flunking Out. There are many repercussions for bad grades abroad. Some universities give only pass/fail credit for study abroad, which may mean you need a C or better to even pass. Other universities calculate your international grades into your GPA — don’t blow your grad school admission because of too many late nights in Rome. Yes, you’re having fun, but you’re here to work too — it is possible to achieve both.
3. Not Immersing In The Culture. Get away from the English speakers. Meet the locals, find out where they go for fun, and try and practice the language (as embarrassed as you may feel at first). Network through your homestay and your fellow students. Don’t hang out at the American bars — you can do that back home. Make a conscious effort to immerse yourself every day.
4. Getting Stuck In The World You Left Behind. Facebook and Twitter will draw you back into your friends’ drama thousands of miles from you — log off and walk away. Your time abroad is limited, so socialize in the real world, where you are, as much as you can. Try not to study abroad with your boyfriend or girlfriend — that way, you can avoid relationship drama and have an experience that’s uniquely yours. Have guests, including your parents, visit you at the end of your program. Let go of the world behind you — it will be waiting for you when you are done thoroughly experiencing this new, fleeting one.
5. Believing You Are Invincible. Students often let their guard down in a new environment: Spaniards are so friendly, I could never get robbed here ... There is almost no crime in London compared to New York ... Everyone in Tokyo is just so nice to foreigners! You don’t have to be paranoid, but don’t abandon your common sense just because you’re in a different place. Big cities have similar problems everywhere in the world. I met a group of American students in Spain who had reported being the victims of theft — in each instance they admitted, I let my guard down — I let a stranger borrow my cell phone, I fell asleep in the park and my backpack was gone, etc. The local crime rate may be low, but if you are an obvious foreigner, you’re a target — and that’s true everywhere in the world.
Have a blast, but be smart too. Your study abroad experience will be life-changing, no matter what. Just make sure that it’s for the right reasons!
In order to fulfill our mission making study abroad more accessible to students, CEA Global Education has undertaken an innovative and student-focused approach to designing a variety of high-quality, diverse programs aimed at meeting a growing set of academic needs. Our programs are designed to reach a wider audience, ensuring that the advantages of study abroad are accessible to an increasingl...
ISA programs in Reading and London offer great opportunities for students seeking an academic challenge in an English-speaking system. ISA's study abroad programs in England are held at the University of Reading, the University of Westminster, King's College London and London South Bank University, and are offered for a summer, trimester, semester and academic year in duration.
API is committed to providing the best comprehensive study abroad experience possible with personal attention available to our students throughout his or her program, and to working closely with home universities to offer support before, during and after the education abroad experience.
Our approach is built around focused themes that integrate academics and co-curricular activities and having a support platform that allows students to maximize their time learning about and experiencing the countries that they live in.
DIS – Danish Institute for Study Abroad is a government-recognized, high-quality study abroad program established in 1959 with over 1500 students coming each year. All DIS courses and academic programs are intellectually stimulating and challenging – and are all taught in English. But at DIS, study abroad is not solely about academics, it is about providing a one-off-a-kind opportunity for stud...
With more than 90 programs in 32 cities, IES Abroad is dedicated to broadening our global reach and continuing our commitment to offering students outstanding academic options coupled with every-day opportunities for cultural immersion.
Creating and administering programs that allow U.S. college and university students and educators to study and teach abroad, and international students and professionals to study and work in the U.S.
Our programs allow you to customize an international experience that meets your linguistic needs--and your professional and personal goals. Choose from exciting and challenging locations across the globe. Browse our extensive courses and programs of study that allow you to combine liberal arts and professional degree courses
Center For Study Abroad (CSA) offers low cost quality programs worldwide. Since 1990 (over 20 yrs), CSA has been offering students and adults, from all countries, the opportunity to participate in a variety of programs. Earn college credit. Easy registration process. Quick confirmation documents. Flexibility with program, housing, travel, and payment. Can even pay the balance upon arrival ...
Fairfield University Office of International Studies has 1 program in 1 location. The program is offered in United States
The Adelante program illuminates the language and cultural aspects in a way that no other program does, through work assignments and independent living situations, so candidates experience life much like the locals live. We provide an 'open door' in more ways than one.
Lorenzo de' Medici is committed to providing a high-quality education that enables students to realize their own potential, develop and apply their creativity, and interact successfully with the community worldwide.
LEAPNOW aspires to keep our programs on the cutting edge of human evolution. We feel that we can have the most positive impact on the world by working in the area of education – which ideally is concerned with transforming and expanding the consciousness of our students.
The INSTITUTE for GLOBAL STUDIES makes dream internships come true! Work alongside top marine scientists; law firms; television stations; social workers; television, newspapers and many more! Our 90% placement rate on hard to find custom internships and global database of leading university researchers and top executives makes us the industry leader. IGS founder Dr. David Adams, a cultural anth...
CAPA International Education offers quality, affordable study abroad programs, consisting of academic classes and internships. Our programs weave experiential and academic learning together with internships, co-curricular activities and methods of instruction; these create a total learning environment, ensuring every student gains the deeper contextual relevance before, during and after their s...
The University Studies Abroad Consortium has provided university students with quality study abroad programs for almost 30 years. USAC is a non-profit, university-based organization with 40 program locations in 25 countries.
Ten years of running programs in the South Pacific with our partner universities has given us extensive experience in the design, delivery and servicing of educational opportunities.
KEI offers more courses in more academic majors and minors than any other study abroad provider. Courses in foreign languages, area studies and liberal arts are also offered. Check out the different academic and professional concentrations offered by KEI.
Whether you are pursuing a four-year degree or are seeking to study abroad, you will do so in the heart of Rome surrounded by the extraordinarily rich offerings of a city of culture, history, art, creativity, business and international affairs. At JCU you will learn in small classes from professors who encourage dialogue and use the city of Rome as a learning laboratory. You will also have oppo...
A pioneer in experiential, field-based study abroad, SIT Study Abroad offers semester, summer, and post-baccalaureate programs in more than 40 countries in Asia and the Pacific, Africa, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East, focused on critical global issues with opportunities for undergraduate research.
Athena Study Abroad was developed in an effort to bring students authentic study abroad experiences involving true, cultural immersion, designed by knowledgeable, caring professionals.
Whether you are a student, a professional, or a retiree, there is a wide world to explore, with endless opportunities to learn. Welcome to ELI, a non-profit organization that creates volunteer, internship, and study abroad opportunities for the globally-minded who want a travel experience that goes beyond the ordinary.
Since 1995, Study Abroad Italy (SAI) has been dedicated to providing students with an exceptional cultural and educational experience abroad in Italy, and now also in London. We offer you the opportunity to enroll in the very finest schools available to English speaking students.
Center for Ecological Living and Learning (CELL) has 4 programs in 4 different locations. Programs are offered in Costa Rica, Iceland, Nicaragua and Honduras
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad has over 20 years of experience working within the field of international education serving both students and advisors. We are a leader in study abroad known for high-quality, full service programs with excellent value in a wide range locations throughout Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Asia, and Europe.
The Travel and Study programs are specifically designed to provide participants with short, intensive, and realistic experiences in Peru or Costa Rica.
Can't find what you're looking for? Get Advice!