Youth International Header Image Youth International Header Image

Experiential Learning in South America

Would do it again in a heartbeat

Wow. What a trip.

If you want to challenge yourself and see the rewards of putting in work then I would STRONGLY recommend this program.

My highlights:

1. Four separate week long home-stays with families that speak no english. Talk about cultural immersion. I still talk to some of the siblings from the home-stays over facebook...they really like the idea of facebook.
2. I had the chance to try some of the craziest foods out there. Guinea pig, piranha, grubs (surprisingly tasty!), and so much more.
3. I connected and became great friends with 9 other people from all over the US, Cananda, and Great Britain (shout-out to Craig).
4. I love a good hike. We had a good hike. Did I mention the peak was 16,000 feet?
5. We lived in the Amazon rain forests for about 3 weeks. The first week was in Bolivia where we lived in small cabins right beside the river. Alligators everywhere. Capybara everywhere (if you don't know what a capybara is look it up right now...might be the coolest animal of all time). The last two weeks were in Ecuador where living was at its simplest. All I can say is that you better be good with a net while fishing if you want to eat! Just kidding, but all of the food is either caught in the river or grown right there.
6. Galapagos. Doesn't even need explaining.