YES in Spain Header Image YES in Spain Header Image

Group Study with YES in Spain

Summer in Spain

I spent a month in Spain. I came here knowing very little spanish. Once the program started, I started learning more spanish. This program has been very effective with learning another language. i also learned a lot about the history and culture about Spain.

The best summer I have ever experienced

This trip to Sevilla, was one of the most interesting things I have ever experienced. The excursions to places like Granada and cordoba, were some of my favorites. The trips to bull fight, the beach, and to the palace were so eye-popping beautiful, that I wished i could stay longer.

A month of new experiences

This program is great in every respect. At least 5 times a week, we visited some amazing cultural monument, museum or experience. Despite being stationed in Seville, we got to travel to 3 other historical cities which were equally if not more beautiful. The program is also more organized than any other summer experience I've been a part of - there's never any doubt about what we're going to do on any given day, there's never any delays, and all of the trips are very smooth. There's also 3 hours of class 4 days a week. Half of the class is history and culture which gives us Americans an amazing opportunity to learn Spanish culture and history from the viewpoint of Spain itself, rather than a textbook written by and for Americans. The other half is language, which helped with grammar and words that I wouldn't otherwise pick up through immersion. Finally, we got to live with a Spanish family who talked to us in Spanish without filter, and which helped to learn words and eat foods that only exist in a familiar home.

It should be noted that this is not intense Spanish immersion, in that you aren't really forced to only speak Spanish and can speak English if you feel uncomfortable. In my experience, I spoke mostly English with the other Americans here and attempted to speak Spanish with everyone else. You are given every opportunity to practice, but for me it was quite difficult to force myself without an external rule in place.

Overall, a great program that improved my Spanish a lot and gave me a lot of new experiences.

YES study abroad program

I had a very good experience regarding homestay, cultural emersion, and education. I learned a lot about the history and culture of Seville and it was very interesting to be able to go to other cities in Spain as well.

Immersion in Spain

This program was filled completely with fun activities and academic experiences. The program lasted a long time between 3 or 4 weeks which gives enough time to truly see and experience Spain. This trip taught me to appreciate and learn about a culture completely different from mine and gave me a lifetime of memories.

A month in Spain

Overall I think that this was a good experience but that it was hindered by a few different factors, but overall it was positive and I would be willing to do it again but with a different group of people perhaps.