Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

Rescue Paws, a Dog Rescue Program in Hua Hin, Thailand

Dream come true

Where to start when trying to put my 1 month volunteering in words. I have been to Thailand twice before and new this was the country that I wanted to return to for volunteer work. I opened up google and started searching for shelters in Thailand, I came across Rescue Paws and just the next day someone sent me a Xplore Asia add to do my TESOL course, to my surprise they were one and the same and I new God had wanted me to go there without a doubt. When I first arrived I had no idea what to expect, it took my a day or 2 to settle in and then it was like my heart had just starting bursting out of the seams...I could not wait to get up in the morning to get to the doggies to be greeted by Georgie boy, Pork, Branca, Benjamin etc. After breakfast with the dogs I would just lay in their kennels with them on the dirty floor and I loved it. There is something magical in not caring how dirty you are or how smelly you are and I loved it- to them you were beautiful any how- I started my first week with only walking 2 dogs at a time, but then every time I felt so guilty for not being able to take more- so I did- by the end I would take 6 at a time(all by my lonesome)- I would obviously pair them up- all the dogs that easy to handle etc. and when I got to the beach I would let them all run free and swim with them- and people kept coming and saying this is so beautiful- and I remembered feeling so lucky to be apart of something that makes people smile!! I would walk for hours with the dogs!! I love the feeling of taking the leash off and they look at you like: " I can run now?" and I would shout go go go. The group of dogs at the kennel at that stage was just so great!! By the last week we got in a dog named Daisy and I completely fell in love with her- it is so difficult to take dogs back to South Africa and it just broke my heart- I still think about her and keep our time close in my heart and her picture in my wallpaper. I still think of coming back for her. Being part of a group/organisation that could help, love and support the dogs was just..speechless. I have been so lucky in live to have been part of this, to have been able to give so much and receive so much love back from a wet tongue and wet nose!! How privileged am I to have been able to have an experience that has shaped my entire future. Rescue Paws, Jaco, Hanli you are incredible human beings and I wish you all the best. Rescue Paws you left a paw print in my heart. Never forgotten!! I miss you still every day!!

A pawfect rescue: volunteering in Hua Hin

I knew this trip was going to be incredible from the beginning, but my expectations were exceeded! The whole town felt safe, the people were super friendly. Rescue Paws itself was a real gem. Jaco and Hanli made me feel at ease the moment I arrived. They educated us about what this program was all about and the significant difference it was making in Hua Hin. I spent 8 weeks at Rescue Paws and I wish I could of stayed longer! I was excited every morning to arrive at the clinic and kennels to greet and cuddle all the dogs and cats. The daily runs/swims at the beach with the dogs and puppies was so much fun, especially seeing how much they enjoyed it. Every week our team would visit different Packs' to feed, worm or collect for sterilization. I found most stray dogs quite friendly especially when you become a familiar face to them, then you pretty much become their best friend. The Vet and her assistant (Dr. Aey and Ghet) are super hard workers and incredibly talented. I was lucky enough to watch them at surgery and even got to assist during an emergency C-Section with a fellow volunteer. We were on such a high for the rest of the night because of how amazing the whole experience was. Bottle-feeding and taking care of a new born puppy with the other volunteers was also an awesome opportunity. Training dogs who were soon to be adopted. But one of my favourite experiences was with a dog who we named "Monty". He was dropped off to us with signs of poisoning. Unable to walk, he couldn't even move a single muscle on any limb. We were so worried for him, I wasn't even sure if he was going to be okay. We spent time on nursing him until he was strong enough for rehabilitation. Now my favourite part was that the rehab worked. Watching him on his feet again, after a few dozen stacks and a regular swim in the ocean, he pretty much had it down pat again. This isn't even the half of it, the program is surreal and the best way to describe how amazing it is, is if you buy a flight to Hua Hin right now and experience it for yourself. It is completely rewarding and I will be returning very soon! Thank you so much guys for the memorable experience!!
-Ebeh
P.S. The night life is pretty great too ;)

Amazing experience

My month spent volunteering at Rescue Paws was an amazing experience. The work that this organization does is invaluable for the community and its impact is evident. The work that you will do as a volunteer is meaningful and rewarding. Furthermore, the staff is amazing, caring, and very helpful. I highly recommend this program!