WorldTeach Header Image WorldTeach Header Image

Year-Long Volunteer Teaching Positions in China

World Teach

World Teach China is a very well supported program. Supplying you with visas and training, unlike some other programs. It is a program where what you put into it is what you get out of it. It is very easy to get to your site and just teach everyday and be satisfied with that. If you want to get more involved that is all up to you! As a well established program there are fewer problems when dealing with the schools. I recommend this program, it helped me go abroad for the first time and gave me the strength and training to stay abroad!

Amazing experience I'll never forget

My year in China was incredible - World Teach was a great way to live in China basically for free, with the structure of an organization that organized everything for the volunteers and gave us an instant social and support network. In your school, the experience is what you make of it - there is a lot of flexibility to start extra-curricular programs, plenty of time to learn Chinese, and enough free time to pursue new hobbies and travel. Frequent school holidays allowed us to explore most corners of the country, including Tibet and Xinjiang and several national parks as well as other parts of Asia, and many of the other volunteers in my program are still some of my closest friends, even ten years later. Of course there are the frustrations and inconveniences of living in a different country, sometimes in less developed parts of the country, but I found living in China to be exciting and empowering and very eye-opening for a recent college graduate. As with any experience overseas, a lot of what you get out of it depends on your attitude and how you respond to surprises and challenges, so there were people in the program who didn't have the great experience I did. Overall, if you're independent enough to be able to handle maybe being the only foreigner in your school or even town, it's a great program and I'm very glad I did it.

Brilliant Program, Plus Personal Development

WorldTeach is not just another way to go abroad. It's a comprehensive intercultural experience. While so many other programs throw you in with little to no training or help, as a WorldTeach volunteer, you are guided into a new culture, and into teaching. Throughout the year, your Field Director provides you with personal and professional assistance, and is always available to talk, should problems or questions arise. The experience is not easy, and there are times, inevitably, when you will question why you are there, or what you are achieving. But the overall experience is highly valuable, and changes you as a person.

ESL Teacher

I participated in the WorldTeach Hunan program 2013-14. This experience was, for the most part, everything I hoped it would be. I made Chinese friends, learned how to lesson plan and teach a class of students, and ultimately felt connected to the community I was living in. The support from the in-country staff was reliable and I felt safe the whole time.

That being said, everyone's experience is different, and everyone comes out of it with different feelings. The nature of the program is that all the participants (for the most part) are at different schools. Your in-school dynamics, more than anything, will affect whether or not you enjoy your year in China. So, there is some uncertainty. However, I'd recommend this program to anyone who wants to explore living and teaching in a new part of the world. From what I've seen and heard, WorldTeach does the best job training their teachers and supporting them throughout the year.