street view street view

Intern in Spain with World Internships

Deep End Of The Pool

World Internships provided me with a placement at a luxury magazine called Le CITY Deluxe. I was astonished at how much responsibility they were willing to give me right from the beginning. Most unpaid internships seem to want to put interns in the corner somewhere and tell them not to break anything. Not with Le CITY Deluxe. I am very glad to have been placed there by World Internships, and am still continually astounded at my experience even as I look back at it.

The program administration was helpful to infinity and beyond.

I can only comment on some of cultural activities from second hand experience as my placement took up too much of my time and I wasnt able to experience all of them.

Living accommodations was with a small inconvenience, but worth mentioning. There was no dryer.

If you are a Canadian in Barcelona then you are probably going to miss the great and truly Canuck institution of Tim Hortons. They have something similar in Barcelona called El Fornet. Quite a bit different from the average Tim's, but you will enjoy it for the same reasons. As for everyone else, I can say without a doubt that a restaurant in Barcelona has the best pizza in the world. It is called the carnivora and it consists of bolognese sauce (rather than tomato), cheese and globs of ground beef. It can be found in a place called Vitto's Pizzeria on Carrer de Mallorca just 3 blocks east of the Sagrada Familia.

Never for a minute felt unsafe in Barcelona.

Not Your Ordinary Experience

Dear potential study abroad student,
I cannot recommend World Internships highly enough as a way to fully experience another culture in an enriching and holistic way. I picked this program on a whim because I did not have the option to take classes abroad and I can honestly say that it was one of the most lucky coincidences of my life. WI took into consideration all of my interests and set me up with an organization that gave me exactly the experience I wanted to develop professionally. I was given responsibility within the company and became a trusted employee all while knowing the WI staff was behind me if I ever needed anything. Barcelona is a beautiful city with a lot to offer and I think, by interning rather than taking classes, I was able to more fully immerse in the city. I had a real job and got to know real people who lived in Barcelona rather. My student counterparts tended to live with other american students and therefore had an 'american college experience' except in Spain. This internship was the best I could have hoped to find and was an irreplaceable part of my gap year. In other words... do it!

Everyone was helpful and great!

Having American roommates at home made it a little harder to fully immerse myself but I think I could have taken the initiative to go in more and didn't.

My host mom and roommates were incredible! We all were very close and we lived in a residential but central location.

The best mojito bar in Barcelona is right outside the Sant Pau Dos de Maig metro stop and is the strangest yet greatest place to end a night out. There is no lack of old music videos playing in the background and the staff will treat you like a local every time.

If you are smart, you will never feel unsafe in Barcelona.

I got sick for several days and when I went to the doctor they gave me the most thorough check up and were so helpful. It did take a long time but it was good.

Amazing Experience!

I had a great experience in Barcelona from start to finish. The view from my apartment was amazing and whenever we had an issue with maintenance, it would be handled right away. The on-site staff were very helpful and set up weekly cultural agendas and recommendations of cool things to do throughout the city. My biggest fear was going to a foreign country and not having a support system but I can honestly say I never felt alone. From the friends you meet and the on-site staff you will be taken care of. The staff from World Internships also checks up with you along the way and makes sure that everything is handled. I feel like everyone needs to experience this at least once in their life. No regrets, whatsoever.

Everyone was attentive and happy to answer any questions. They all understand what it is like to be a living in a foreign country.

I was set up in an amazing apartment. Whenever we had an issue, it was handled right away.

Definitely go to the Bunkers. It is a fairly local spot with the most amazing view in Barcelona- hands down. Go with some friends and have a picnic.. Well worth the trip.

I got sick on the trip and going to the doctor and getting anti biotics was very easy!

Amazing Experience

The greatest 6 weeks of my life were in Barcelona. The World Internships team helped me so much with applying for my internships and helped me find a place. They posted activities to do on the weekends when I wasn't working. And the city did not disappoint. There was so much to do and so many places to see. From the beautiful building of Gaudi to the busy streets of Las Ramblas. My homestay mom was a wonderful cook and extremely friendly, like all the Barcelonians were. This was an unforgettable trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I recommend to go to the beach bars. Before you get to the clubs like Opium or Catwalk to hit the little bars behind them closer to the beach. To get you into their clubs, they offer free shots. The best way to get free drinks before you dance the night away!

Lovely!

My 6 weeks in Barcelona was a great experience. There is so much to see and do here and so much variety! There really is truly something for everyone. The program provided many different activities to get to know the city a little better and they really made sure that you were comfortable. There was a nice personal orientation when I first arrived that did more than just give me maps and basic information about the city and my internship details. They provided me information about the culture and norms and made me really think about my goals for my time here. They were willing to help with anything. About 2 weeks in, I had a check up meeting with one of the directors. And finally, during the last week they helped me reflect on my time here and helped tremendously with how to put this experience on my resume, what to say in interviews and made me really think about my experience. Also, each visit we had a delicious meal or coffee that they paid for! The included Spanish class was also a good deal. Although it was only a week since I was only here for 6 weeks, it helped me brush up on the language and it is a chance to meet new people. My internship was better than I expected. I thought that I would be doing menial "intern" tasks which at sometimes I was just doing basic organization but I got to help with large important projects also. My supervisor was really nice and she really made me feel welcomed and part of the clinic where I was interning at. However, the actual tasks I was doing was not really related to the actual field I signed up for (nutrition/health). Yes I was in a health clinic but I was doing more marketing, administration, and accounting tasks. Nevertheless it was a great experience and I still learned a LOT. Definitely worth it if you have the time and money to do this!

I received prompt responses with any questions and everyone was very hospitable and willing to help.

I was given my housing information which told me that I would be living with an older woman. When I arrived, I found out that I was instead living in the apartment of her son and his friend. She lives in another apartment one floor up. My room was also next door to a male student and we shared the same bathroom (I am female). It was not a problem for me and the living situation was fine. Everyone was very nice and there was no problems. The woman made all the students dinner which we had in her apartment and she did our laundry. However, I feel like future students should be informed better and not be misled because this could be a potential problem for some people.

A Life Changing Experience Filled With Memories

Great program with great resources to get you in touch with wonderful study abroad opportunities. They really do a lot on their part of getting you placed with the best internship but it is also up to you to express specifically your interests and what fields you want to work in. That way World Internships can tailor an internship just for you.

My medical internship was great I definitely got to improve my medical knowledge and Spanish proficiency simultaneously. I got rotate through various medical departments and visit patients with the doctor I was shadowing followed by a follow up explanation of the patients' conditions and possible courses of action. It was a very educational and humbling experience.

Barcelona, and Spain in general, is a beautiful country with so much culture and history in addition to modern attractions and vibrant nightlife. It is also located close to many popular travel destinations such as Paris or Rome, making travel and experiencing Europe quite easy.

I met some of the greatest people and shared some of the best memories during my internship. I have to thank World Internships for helping me have one of the best summers of my life.

Everyone was quite helpful in making the experience as great as possible. They do kind of leave you on your own to go out and explore and figure things out yourself, but are always there to help if you have any questions or concerns.

The Spanish cooking class, salsa classes, and planned trips all definitely helped with the immersion experience, as did living with Spanish speaking foreigners who told me where to go. I also gained a lot from my medical internship and spent much of my day around locals getting to know them and their culture.

The location was amazing, very centrally located and close to three of Barcelona's most major metro lines. I only thought that I would be rooming with other students from the program that are international but instead they were in Barcelona for other reasons. It turned out to be a pretty great experience nonetheless

Hands down best restaurant in town is called La Flauta located on Calle Aribou and Calle Diputacio off of the Universitat stop. Best authentic Catalan food you can get in my opinion. Also, if you love sushi, some of the best sushi I have ever had was at a restaurant called Nakashita close to the Arc de Triomf.

I felt quite safe in Barcelona though there are often reports of pick-pocketing which is quite prevalent in Spain. If you go out in groups and pay attention to your belongings you should be fine.

World Internships provides all kinds of helpful numbers in case of emergencies as well as a safety procedures briefing.

I Was Able To See The World With A New Light.

This was an experience of a lifetime! I wanted the time to slowly go by so I could enjoy it more and not take it for granted. This experience gave me a deeper awareness about myself and the world around me. The exposure to a new language, culture, and lifestyle deepened my perspectives about everything. Also, having the courage and independence to take a journey like this has strengthened who I am as person and who I will become. A large part of what makes this experience is what you want to get out of it. World Internships made that possible and helped make it amazing.

I had a pretty good experience. When I did speak to the administration, everybody was very helpful. The communication with the US representative was very good. She gave me a lot of really good advice and sent me a lot of helpful information. The day trips were amazing, the orientation was helpful, and the exit workshop is something that will be very useful for my future. Everybody also always had a positive attitude about everything and was open to listen when I wasn't feeling well from the culture shock. I think there could have been better communication from the beginning from the administrators in Barcelona. I had no idea I was going to be by myself in the homestay, without any other interns or students from the program. If I would have known that, I would have chosen to live with other students from the program or exchange students. I also wish my Barcelona advisor would have communicated better with me when I got there, at least an introduction. She had so many helpful tips when she finally got back to Barcelona that would have been helpful when I first arrived.

I enjoyed every experience WI exposed me to. I learned a lot about the Catalan culture and gained a greater appreciation for it. The cooking class was amazing, the day trips were a lot of fun, and I was able to immerse myself into the culture through WI and also by myself. I met a lot of good people who were a lot of fun and was able to practice my Spanish a lot.

There were a lot of unnecessary restrictions. For example, turning off the hot water after 10 minutes in the shower, locking up the pantry, and not being able to eat in the kitchen after 3. She also wasn't very genuine and did not treat me like an adult. What I did like was being able to eat dinner there and learn my language. I ended up adjusting but I was very happy to leave. It would have been nice to create a relationship with her so we could keep in touch but I never felt she cared enough to want to do so. It made me stronger and more able to adjust to such a change. I am still grateful but it could have been better.

Walk to the end up the beach toward the north and there is a long wall of graffiti that is beautiful.

The school and my homestay were in very safe neighborhoods. I never felt unsafe walking alone in Barcelona. I just was always careful with my bag while I would walk in large crowds.

Love Living In Barcelona Working Was Different

Coming to Barcelona was a great choice. The World Internships staff was very helpful. Barcelona is a great city to do live in but coming to work is a little different. The placement I was put in was very slow paced, they did not have enough work for me to fill the hours that i required. Also the tasks I was told I would be doing before i left were not the same thing I would be doing once I got to the placement. I found it better to do and explore things on my own than with the SAE program people, I am a art student and wanted to see the art in Barcelona and do activities that were not so touristy which were most of the activities that they purposed. I loved living in Barcelona it is my favorite city, the only issue was the internship, not having enough work to do or employers not listening when i asked for more tasks. I spoke with the SAE staff over here to assist me in finding another internship but all they did was talk to my boss, the internship improved for a week then went back to me having no work. I suggest before you choose and internship look at all the choices that they have found for your field and make sure you will be needed for the time that you stay in Barcelona.

World Internships was very helpful and checked in with me to make sure my time here was going well.

I started out living in Gracia which was a perfect little barrio in barcelona and changed to raval which is very different so this allowed me to immerse myself in two different areas in barcelona

I choose to find my own place outside of the program through the website airbnb and managed to save some money that allowed me to travel around a lot more.

Robadores 23 is a small bar in Raval that has local music play every night and every sunday for 3 euros is local Flamenco dancing and singing. Much better than paying a lot of a money to see a show. Also follow the event flyers on the streets!! they are usually the local parties and events that occur in the city

I found the city pretty safe just be aware of your surroundings.

Absolutely Amazing 6 Weeks In Beautiful Barcelona

6 weeks went by very very quickly. I loved my apartment, I lived with great people, I enjoyed my internship and I generally made the most of every single day. Ultimately, I was incredibly happy that I chose Barcelona for my internship. I really love the city. I love the whole lifestyle. I would love to return one day. I have made many friends from many different countries around the world. I know I have learnt so much - both skills at my internship but also things about myself. I would definitely recommend the experience.

At the beginning I spent a lot of my time in Barcelona lost - but this actually lead to some lovely discoveries. I didn´t experience any culture shock but I had travelled quite a bit before. I found everyone I met to be very friendly and helpful. Unlike the other interns from the US, when I arrived I had basically no knowledge of Spanish. However, I found this to be a problem hardly ever. It was probably only 2 or 3 times in all 6 weeks that it was a bit of an issue.

My internship was great. I essentially helped with online marketing for an energy management company. Everyone I worked with was so helpful and friendly. I was even invited to a celebratory barbeque. I really wanted to properly experience working in a different country – and I believe I really achieved that.

Overall, everything was really well run and organized. Every one at World Internships was very helpful. Always there to answer questions and offer suggestions.

My favourite was the cooking class. I did not attend all the cultual activities - but found the ones I did attend very enjoyable.

I was really happy with my apartment and I felt very at home there. My room was spacious and comfortable. We had a great kitchen with modern stove, oven and even a dishwasher. The bathrooms were clean and modern. Also it was very centrally located and convenient.

I was always very aware of my surroundings. If you are - it´s all good. Heard stories from others about pickpockets - but luckily never happened to me.

Unforgettable Experience

World Internships made one of my dreams come true with this internship. I fell in love with the city of Barcelona and I cannot wait to go back. The cultural activities were the perfect complement to the internship itself, helping you know the city and immerse yourself in the culture. The staff in Barcelona are all extremely helpful and friendly and will help you with things ranging from finding a good place to have coffee to traveling to other parts of Spain and even Europe. I would recommend this program to people who like to have control of their experience but also want a bit of guidance and some planned activities to supplement their independent exploring.

Do not leave Barcelona without going to either Ciutat Comtal or Cerveceria Catalana. They may very well be the best Tapas restaurants in Barcelona. Also, if you're sick of Tapas or seafood and want something different, La Rosa Negra is a great Mexican restaurant off the Metro stop of Urquinaona. Delicious food and great drinks.

Unforgettable Experience

Taking a bus tour of the city and going up to Mount Tibidabo to the top of the Sant Cros church that's on the mountain and overlooking the whole city. It is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen and in that moment I fell in love with Barcelona.

I really wanted to Intern in Spain and I wanted to have some control over the time frame and kind of internship I wanted to do and World Internships delivered the best on those things for me.

I stayed at a home stay which I would absolutely recommend. My host mom is a tour guide in Barcelona and she helped me navigate the city and find cool events to go to and really explore the city from a local's perspective. I had a wonderful time with her and learned so much about the culture of Barcelona and Spain from her.

Ups And Downs In Barcelona

Barcelona is definitely a metropolitan city, and although I was warned this, I was unprepared for the city itself. It isn't like New York, where everyone can communicate (for the most part...) with you, and the cultures you see are much closer to things you might see any given place in America. The good thing about living in a city like Barcelona is that every little thing you do is something to be proud of, whether you speak the language or not, is something to be proud of! Going to the post office, getting somewhere new in a different neighborhood, or even just getting back to the airport on public transit, are all things that, for someone new in the city, are things that take premeditation and some assistance. So when I look back, Barcelona is not a place I need to ever live, but it is an experience that has changed me, and made me stronger. I learned what I can handle, and how I respond to things, and that I still need to broaden my world view.

Elena, the internship advisor in Barcelona is AMAZING!! She was definitely the one I got the closest with there, and she was great for advice both just in general about Spain and on specific issues in my internship!

I became really depressed in weeks 3 and 4 while I was getting over sickness, but I constantly reminded myself it was a normal, in a foreign language country.

The neighborhood got kind of scary in the evenings, to the point that I didn't really want to leave my apartment.

Go to Ciutat Condal!!! My roommate and I called it Randy's because we met her friend from back home there, his name was Randy. But mostly, it is important to get the dish that is very small fried potatoe strings with a fried egg on top!! Sounds weird, but it is the best thing I ate while I was there! Enjoy it with an estrella damm!!

Being a metropolitan city, there is a certain unsafety to Barcelona. There are pick pockets everywhere, and poverty everywhere, and people in conditions to do drastic things. But my roommates and I found that as long as we were smart about things, and did what we were told with our belongings and selves in public, we were fine. For example, we were told not to travel around with our ipod out, or anything like a kindle. But I rode the bus everyday to get to work, and after about the first month I got really comfortable, and had seen other people reading off of their kindle on the bus, so I started taking mine. Just take some time to see whats appropriate for different situations, and when in Spain, do what the Spanish do!

My roommate and I got extremely sick for the first few weeks we were there. It got to a point that I couldnt move for a whole day. I am sure that if i needed I could have contacted someone in the program, but I didnt feel I needed to go to the hospital.

The More I Travel, The More I Realize We Are All The Same.

Although people are from different places, the makeup of our souls and the essence that makes us emote are the same. We are more alike than we realize. It is our perceptions and stereotypes that separate us, not the realities.

My internship did not meet the expectations listed in the pre-departure manual or the expectations provided in orientation.

I proactively pursued intercambios and relationships with cultures different from my own.

I was very lucky, for I lived with a wonderful roommate.

My apartment was in a very safe neighborhood and I felt secure and safe inside my place of living.

We were provided health insurance. I never utilized any services.

Absolutely Loved My Internship

My internship was a ton of fun and I learned so much about myself and how to be self sufficient in a working environment.

The communication from the program was horrible and there were only two people that I honestly thought were interested or really took the time to get to know the students, the rest gave off the vibe it was a waste of time being around the students and were no where near helpful.

Any significant Immersion I really had was of my own findings. The program only provided a few activities which lasted on average less than an hour. And every time it just felt like we were a tour group not like we were immersing.

It was an interesting neighborhood and had great access to metro but especially in comparison to the other apartments students were living in ours was not nice.

The bunkers. Absolutely. The best panoramic views of the entire city and incredible history.

Overall as long as you're always aware of the people around you and cautious I dont think safety is a problem. Several people in the program did get pick pocketed but there was no serious crime.

I got really sick and went to the clinic they told me to but there was no translator and even though it really was not a problem because I speak well enough, it would have been comforting to have someone reexplain the diagnosis to me in English.

Things Could Have Been Communicated Better, However It Was A Great Experience.

I enjoyed World Internships because of the people I met, and the the work environment that I was fortuitous enough to have.

My adviser in the states was great, she was thorough and to point, responded to my emails and phone calls very promptly. When I arrived in Spain things were different Yes my flight was delayed, which threw everything off. However, they sent me to my internship on the wrong day and time. My boss and everyone at the restaurant had no clue why I was there. I then was told to wait for 30 minutes on Rich and everyone else in the program because my future boss was giving a presentation on his business. Once the presentation was over I then was sent to BIC where I got all the paperwork that everyone got in orientation the day before. The girls in the office were short with me and obviously in a hurry to do other things. When we had our Spanish classes there were 4 students that got sent to the wrong class. We sat in there for 45min. When we finally realized what classroom we were supposed to be in, the instructor was rude and acted as though we had done this on purpose. The email stated the wrong room number. Many of the excursions were during the day when I, and some of the other students were working. Which was inconvenient. Bad communication because I read every pamphlet, and piece of paper before I left, and it looked as though many of these excursions were going to be included in with my sum that I paid to World Internship, and apparently many of these things were extra money.

Had some time adjusting because I had never been abroad before, however my flatmates were great in helping me with these accommodations, and getting me where and what I needed.

Loved my flatmates and where I was located. They placed me exactly where I want, and listed to what I wanted.

The city life was amazing. I lived in the Gothic District for six weeks, and everywhere you turn there is history and things happening. My flat was 15 minutes from the beach, and I was 10 minutes from work. My favorite cafe was mamacafe. It's just a little cafe by my work, quiet and quaint, not very touristy either.