street view street view

Intern in Nepal with World Internships

Amazing Nepal

Requisites are flexibility and an open mind. If you bring these with you, Nepal is ready to amaze! My internship at a development research institute was a significant part of my overall experience in Nepal. I was taken into the research team warmly and was given a great amount of responsibility and freedom. Not only did I get to immerse myself in a wide range of pressing political and social issues affecting Nepal, but I also got to travel with fellow researchers and gain experience in the field and work together with other national and international NGOs.

Organization was sometimes a bit difficult in Nepal, but this is to be expected. Overall it was good.

I spent my whole time surrounded by nepalis, so I had the chance to learn a lot about culture, language and customs.

Housing location was optimal - very central, everything you might need nearby, amenities were ok, host family extremely nice and helpful.

Kathmandu is full of places to visit. Instead of relying solely on your travel book, grab some Nepali colleagues or friends and have them show you around - this guarantees that you'll get a taste of real Nepal. The same goes for traveling!

So Much To Rave About!

The W.I. team is absolutely remarkable. They made sure to really immerse me in the culture and help me be (safely) independent in such a cool country. Anytime I wanted to do something fun on my days off the team always assisted me in finding (and often even organizing!) something fun and exciting to do. My home stay family was incredible and I truly miss them a lot. The food was not that great, I must admit, but that may have just been what the maid was able to make. The power outages and water shortages at the time of year I went were slightly frustrating, but it keeps you away from your electronics and makes you appreciate what you have back home :) . I learned a lot at the hospital I was interning at and if I was not completely satisfied with what I was doing in the internship the WI team always made other options available for me when it came to my internship. Ex. I could intern at another hospital if I wasn't learning much where I was or I could add a public health component to my internship (which I did)

Ellen, Anish, Bijaya, Santosh were all INCREDIBLE. So supportive and they all went above and beyond what was expected of them. When I was sick they all made my health a priority and assisted me in getting to the hospital. Even when I was homesick the first day they all supported me to feel better. Really exceptional service, will tell all my friends about how wonderful WI is.

I could have learned even more about the culture if the home stay family spoke English better. I did learn a lot but it was only once one of the nephews from the home stay family showed up and spoke a lot of English and was able to answer my questions and educate me.

LOVED the people. I had a very spacious room as well, however, the room was very hot (on the 3rd floor) and I did not get a fan until my 3rd week. The fan was provided by the home stay family. Also, the food at the home stay was not that good. The maid often made the same thing every night and I was often given just white bread in the morning for breakfasts.

Garden of Dreams in Thamel is very relaxing and is a nice getaway from the chaotic city! Also, make sure to check out OR2K (this is the first restaurant the WI team showed me and I went back there so much) the food is very safe and there are lots of other tourists in there if you are looking to meet people or just chill in a very laid back atmosphere.

Never felt unsafe, except for during my pickup at the airport.

The international hospital is fantastic and easily accessible in Kathmandu. The hospital is staffed by American doctors (and possibly other developed country staff) and I received quick and professional treatment. It does cost about 70 dollars to see the doctor at the international clinic but if you have travel health insurance you will get it all back anyways.

Quite the adventure

I had a great time with World Internships in Nepal.

I worked at a hotel in Thamel, Kathamandu doing marketing work. The people at my workplace were very friendly and helpful and always had lots of interesting tasks for me to work on. Many of them had a strong understanding of English too.

For my internship, it was different because they don't do traditional marketing like I'm used to with radio, newspaper, and other ads. It's a lot of talking to travel agencies and convincing them to recommend their customers to go and stay at our hotel. I also noticed many things were not on a digital copy so it made doing my work a little bit more challenging, but it was very good and I learned a lot from my internship.

World Internships was there for me anytime I needed them. They got me a Nepali cell phone within a few days of my arrival and set it up for me. Anytime I needed to call or e-mail them, they were right there ready to assist me. They set me up with many fun trips to go on including Chitwan National Park, Pokhara, The Last Resort Bungy, and many more. They showed me a video of what I could do on my weekends in Nepal, I selected it, and they went off and did all the work for me.

World internships also set me up with a great, quality homestay family in Kathmandu and they were very helpful too with excellent English. I had no problems with them. They were always there to help me to - especially when I got sick.

Overall, World Internships did a great job and I have no complaints. If any of my friends wanted to intern abroad, I'd recommend them to World Internships.

I really liked Hotel Annapurna. It has a great coffee shop / restaurant where you can great high quality food for a very reasonable price. It's on Durbar Marg in Kathmandu, Nepal. Ask any taxi driver to take you there.

I felt very safe at all times in Nepal. Watch our for dogs at night, but they're more scared of you than you are of them.

Go to the CIWEC Clinic in Kathmandu (right by Thamel). Went there twice and they speak great English and have all the stuff you need and are used to as an international traveler.