street view street view

Intern in Italy with World Internships

Reaching for my roots

As the grandson of a wonderful Italian grandmother I was astounded to find that an internship in Florence Italy was available to me! After attending community college for a short while I decided that it was not what I was looking for. Working as a photojournalist in my town as well as a cashier at my local supermarket, I was ready to experience something new. Seeing the beautiful coast of Italy from the plane assured me I'd made the right choice. My ride was waiting when I arrived and we quickly made it to the apartment I would reside for the next few months. I settled in quickly with some awesome room mates and was immediately invited to check out the city. Off we went (despite the jet lag). A few days later I was introduced to the photographer I would be working along side. In terms of immersion it was about as good as it gets. My mentor spoke minimal English and I spoke minimal Italian. This was the real deal. We would work at a relaxed pace during the week photographing clothing and jewelry for high end designers. I had plenty of time to adjust to the city and experience all it had to offer. When I left Italy I left with more than my belongings and gifts for friends back home, I left with the experience of a lifetime.

My best experience

World internships really helped me with my process of being an intern in Italy. It was the best experience and I would recommend you to apply through them. They are with you every step and whenever you need help even when you start your program abroad.

Internship Placement:
I had a 3 week intensive program of Italian language before my internship which was fun and very educational. Great program!

Great experience

This has been the best experience i have had so far ! I learned so much, met amazing people and experienced european culture in a whole new level.

Florence is a really safe city, being able to walk by the Duomo at 4 am jn the morning was incredible

Ecstatic

I have not a single bad thing to say about the experience.

Before I even arrived in Italy my program administrator, Christine, was so friendly and helpful, answering my thousands of emails and questions quickly. She even called me for a mock interview as I didn't have much interviewing experience and then gave me helpful tips.

When I got to Italy the taxi driver was waiting for me, as was my landlady. The house I stayed in was very nice and my housemates were all awesome.

The job experience they lined up for me was really enjoyable, they hooked me up with the nicest group of people, I never expected that I would ever like a boss so much. The work was interesting, for the most part, and all the people were incredibly friendly, helping me so much with my Italian.

My program administrator, Christine, also organised a crazy trip to Perugia for the chocolate festival, where I met a couple of great people, including someone from Florence who I have stayed friends with.

I don't mean to knock other travel companies at all, but a few of my friends that I met here came through other agencies and I know that a few of them have been quite unhappy with their living situations, landladies or with the administration in general. I've not had any problems at all and really loved every aspect of my trip

The landlady was really great, as were the people I stayed with. The only problem was that it was in a very dodgy section of Florence (via san Zanobi), which a tourist book actually specifically named as an area to avoid. Also, it was quite a bit more expensive than other houses which were equally nice and better located.

I joined a language exchange website (google "florence language exchange" and its the first link). I would suggest recommending this to other students, as it helped a lot with the immersion, met a few Italians this way.

My program administrator was Christine Adamission and she was really great. She checked in often to make sure I was happy, she was super friendly and I really loved her. Also, everything was organised perfectly as it was meant to be plus she also organised a great trip to Perugia for the chocolate festival (awesome!).

I was very happy with everything and if I ever used a program to travel again, I would use WI and I would definitely request to have Christine as a program administrator.

The area I lived in was a bit dodgy and some guy tried to mug me the one night, although it was admittedly around 5am

Make the most of an amazing opportunity!

Like most things in life, your attitude reflects on how much you enjoy any situation. I am very comfortable stepping outside my comfort zone so I enjoy almost everything that comes my way. Meeting other students from around the world is such a great experience and Florence is a wonderful city to do it in. There is plenty to keep you busy and don't forget to relax in many of the different coffee shops.

Nothing to fear!

Best experience

Being a graphic design intern in Florence has been by far one of the best experiences in my life. Not only professionally, but also culturally and socially.

Personal and professional growth, great life experience.

WorldInternships in Italy has been my best experience so far, I have grown personally and professionally. It was absolutely amazing being able to experience a new culture and get immersed in my field in another country.

Amazed!

World Internships was awesome! They took care of everything I could have possibly needed and were very prompt with it all. Christina was who I had most contact with and she was amazing. I was sending her emails on a daily basis before I left and she was able to help out with every last questing I had. Since I had never left the country before, let alone travel to the other side of the world by myself, it was comforting to have someone helping me every step of the way. It was also a huge stress relief to have someone else dealing with all the paperwork :) I had a great experience and would absolutely recommend World Internships to anyone!

italy Internship

My internship was amazing. Not only because World Internships found everything for me and gave me options on my internship, but they also made traveling easy. They had a driver at the airport for me who speaks great english. There were also trips that I could take if I wanted to. There were some that were better to go through the school, but some cities were better to just hop on a train and go. All the train stations are set up the same and very easy to use. You can look up times for the train online then when you are going to leave in about 30 min we would go to the train station and buy our tickets and hop on. Also we would check the return times and just play it by ear for when we would leave. My work was amazing but didn't have me working on the weekends so that is when we would travel. Our apartment was also just down the street from the central market which was very convenient. Overall it was amazing. I had a couple roommates who went through a different organization that did not provide airport pick up, charged a little more, and they sent them all emails asking about leaving for their trip when they had already been there for a month and a half. World Internships was the way to go.

It was fine to live in. Everything worked but it wasn't super fantastic. Later in Italy we met other students who had nicer living standards and were paying less than we were.

There were plenty of opportunities to do other cultural activities if we wanted to.

The people at World Internships were always there to help and answer questions. A couple of my roommates went through a different program and did not receive as much help as I did. Their program was asking them about getting ready to leave for their trip when they had already been there for a month and a half. They also paid more to the program than I did.

When I first got to Florence I was very cautious. One of my roommates and I would never go out alone. Then as we got used to things we would never go out at night alone. As we were there more we would try to not go out at night alone but walking around the city was completely safe. When my mom came to visit for the last 10 days I was there we were leaving a restaurant and to get back to our hotel I took her down a side street. She was a bit uncomfortable since she had never been there and it was different. We would never go on side streets at night alone, always the main ones. But I never felt threatened in Florence. I felt safer in Florence than I do walking around Denver.

Art Intern in Italy

World Internships was a very amiable company to work with. They tried hard to answer any questions and give you the best possible situation. I felt like I was grasping for information a lot of the time, but it all turned out fine. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience. The school in Florence that our program coordinated with was very nice and I really enjoyed my internship placement.

The apartment was very comfortable and really close to everything. It felt very safe and secure.

The intensive language program was not worth the money. Three weeks of class left me with very little knowledge of conversational Italian.

The administration was very nice and approachable, but there was very sparse information given to us along the way. We never had any sort of a check in with our program advisor once we started the internship.

There was never a time that I felt unsafe. Florence is a very safe city as long as you are smart about your bags/wallet.

A lovely experience

World Internships was a great program to study abroad with. While it is a business, it provided a solid structure and secure placement to use for an overseas internship. There is no guessing with this program, you get exactly what you sign up for. The price is fair enough, for the city I was living in anyway. Trying to get the exact same experience as an individual would be very difficult, because WI provides you with a fanatic location in the city, close to your place of work, and all the support you could ask for. Sure, you could try to emulate the same process, but you would have very poor luck.

At first, my living situation was absolutely abhorring, and the situation only got worse until I talked with the supervisor and dean of the school in a private meeting and arranged for a change. After that, it was promptly fixed.

Living in Florence was a lovely experience, but as a primarily touristic city, I was surrounded constantly by other Americans. I also wish that my language course was longer. I learned only basic Italian, and I was left craving more. Otherwise, I think I had a great Italian experience.

All the staff I encountered were helpful, dedicated and personal.

I felt very safe in my apartment, however, as with any city, there are lots of pick-pockets.

The experience is what you make it

Very affordable program, and when immersed very helpful and beneficial. However i was not fully informed on my living situation, orientation, or anything after airport pickup. although I was surprised and happy by the orientation process and drop off, it wasn't very organized in the sense of you have no idea where you are and where you are supposed to be...but you will soon learn in Italy that is a way of life, they live spontaneously

always felt safe, and at home

World Internships was great help!

World Internships helped me every step of the way. Helped find an internship, enrolled me in a school, and found me housing. They were really the best!

Small and basic but lovely landlady.

Very small school but great teachers.

Florence for fun, literally.

My experience was wonderful. Most of that resulted from the contacts I made. My fluency in Italian made me much more respected within the community I interacted with. Many young Italians loved the fact that I was from California. Also, I really lucked out with the housing I got.

The apartment was amazing. It was on the side of the river opposite the Duomo, aka the more Italian side. Therefore I was always conveniently located when my Italian friends wanted to hang out in Santo Spirito, for example.

It's really hard to immerse yourself culturally in Florence, in my experience. Sure there is Italian stuff everywhere, but Florentines really don't like Americans, for the most part. Additionally, they all want to prove to you that they can speak English, so it's hard to gain language use unless you are pretty fluent already.

World Internships was excellent in setting everything up and communicating regularly initially. However, once I had arrived in Italy, I had questions and concerns that arose and the response time was much slower than reasonable, if there was any reply at all. My student colleagues experienced this as well.

Florence is safer than the cities I have lived in (Sacramento, CA and San Diego, CA) in many respects. People are out longer, the Florence city center is much more compact, and it's pretty noisy until about 4 am. I have found that in Florence, and Europe in general, one has to worry much more about their personal property than their personal safety.

Studying abroad in Italy was a unique and special experience that I will hold many of these amazing memories for the rest of my life.

I had an incredible experience in Italy and met so many other amazing interns in my same situation. I was immersed in the culture, traveling, eating, and learning the language and customs. I hope to go back next summer to go backpacking and hopefully I'll be able to be somewhat of a tour guide for my family and friends. Thanks so much for giving me this opportunity!

Loved the housing situation. Our landlord was very nice and we were able to call him at any time to get any help that we needed.

I felt like there should have been someone to give us a better tour of the city. It would have been helpful to have information on traveling with other students (Bus2Alps for instance), nice restaurants around the city, bars, shops, unsafe areas, etc.

The program was laid out well, but I think there was a little disorganization at the beginning. Many of the dates and times were messed up and this led me to feel very uncomfortable about the program when I was arriving. Also, Instituto Europeo was unaccommodating and very rude. World Internships, however, did always have a great attitude and was always willing to help with whatever problem we had.

Everything seemed to be pretty safe in the city. It would have been nice to get more information on how to stay safe, and what areas to stay out of. Also, with emergencies there should be someone we can call from the program, or police numbers in Florence should be provided.

Summer in Florence

Florence is an amazing town. My favorite in all of Italy. The old, beautiful architecture and the amazing history are unlike any place that I had ever seen. Great place to spend the summer, but it is a little easier culturally. Nowhere in the historic center will communication be an issue.

Always felt safe, even alone at night.

It's Up to You

Spending three months in Italy changed my life. Much of it came from my own personal decisions and travels. Some of my best friends there weren't involved with the program at all, and I met them through traveling and exploring on my own. Within the program, I also met a host of awesome people who also had a lasting impact on my life and travels abroad. Just go, don't be afraid to explore on your own, and suspend all expectations.

I had a lot of roommates, but the apartment was large, the location was nice and central, and the community was good. The internet could have been a bit more reliable, though.

My roommates were all American. Immersing myself in Italian cultural took some personal initiative and work.

I really liked everyone involved, and hope to meet them again in the future, but much of the program felt unorganized and last-minute.

Florence is one of the safest cities I've ever been to.

On Your Own

Most students on the same program would probably agree with me when I say that the program's staff is not very eager to help you. They will make some efforts to accommodate you, but most of us felt like we were on our own (which makes sense since we're over 18, but being alone in a foreign country can be hard). That being said, don't expect much of housing. I really felt this was the worst aspect of the program. Some apartments weren't even decent. I understand that most buildings in Florence are old, but that doesn't mean students should be given apartments that are barely holding up. Some students said they can just put up with it since it's just a few weeks, but I think that housing is one of the most important aspects of study abroad. Since being alone in a foreign country can be stressful, you should at least feel comfortable and peaceful at your apartment.

My first apartment had a cockroach issue and it was not a very "liveable" place overall. My second apartment was much better but it still had its problems: some appliances not working, constant flooding of the kitchen, lack of hot water in the shower, one refrigerator for 8-10 people, etc. It seems like all of the students' houses were in similar conditions.

Through the program, I didn't really get an insight into the real Italian culture - I was surrounded by American culture, especially since there are so many American students in Florence. It was really up to you to go out and immerse in the culture on your own.

The staff should really be more connected to the students and more willing to guide us. Since day 1, we felt like we were all on our own. Some students didn't even get picked up from the airport. The housing staff was willing to accommodate me, but all the other students felt their needs were ignored by housing staff. Overall, the program administration seemed to make a minimal effort to help the students.

Florence is a pretty safe place.