street view street view

Intern in Ireland with World Internships

An Adventure All Your Own

I will start off by saying World Internships is not a Study Abroad program such as the one's that you can get from the University. You do not travel around with a set group of people nor are there excursions pre-planned that you can join along in. You are set up in an apartment with roommates that you do not know, in a new country with an entire adventure ahead of you. This was one of my favorite aspects of the internship. Everything you do is up to you. The trips you take, the people you meet, are all up to you! This experience allows for you to really feel like you are local and not just a visitor.

I could not have asked for a better location or roommate situation but it was clear that I was paying for the location of the apartment versus the quality. Nothing major was wrong just some small things such as no racks in the oven, the cable didn't work, and our bathroom was in poor condition.

It was harder than I expected to meet locals to have strong connections with. Though my internship really made me feel like a local so it wasn't really anything that World Internships could have done.

Marc and Meghan were amazing.

I never felt unsafe at any point in my travels.

Unexpected Wealth of Diversity

My time in Dublin has been a dream. I bonded very quickly with my roommates as we went traveling Europe together on the weekends when we weren't working. Being from America, Europe in general in not a very accessible place so this was the perfect time to go out and see as much of it as I could.

My internship matched up seamlessly with my academics and not only added real life expereince of what I have been learning, but I also got this wonderful international persepective that almost no one else in my major of Nonprofit Leadership & Management gets.

Together with my roommates, my co-workers, and the people I now attend church with in Dublin, my whole experience has been amazingly diverse. I have been far more acquainted with the cultres of people from France, Italy, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands, Brazil, South Africa, and, of course, Ireland. It's been so diverse that sometimes the Irish actually feel like the minority!

Everything was old and/or breaking, and it wasn't in the best neighborhood

Very diverse rannge of roommates and co-workers

Rambunctious kids hang out by our place at night

Extraordinary

I felt at home in Ireland, as if I had lived in this country all my life. I loved the people, the food, the drink, and the environment. I learned not just things about my chosen field, rugby, but also about practical life skills gleaned through amazing life experiences. I am actively pursuing ways to come back to Ireland next summer.

This grade is for the shared apartment student housing I was in for the first month. The home stay I would rate as an A+.

I loved Ireland, pure and simple

I loved my boss and we got along very well.

I felt safer in Dublin and the surrounding area then many big cities in the United States.

Living and interning in Ireland has been one of the most educational, memorable, and enjoyable experiences of my life!

My internship experience in Ireland has been one that I believe will be a huge asset to me in the future. I have learned invaluable research and communication skills through my work in international trade and relations. I also have made a tremendous amount of professional contacts.

Additionally, living in Ireland, as with living in any foreign country, has opened my eyes to other cultures and others ways of life. I believe that immersing yourself in a foreign culture makes you a more open-minded and well-rounded individual. To be able to mix a cultural experience with on-the-job training is a wonderful opportunity that everyone should take advantage of if you have the means to do it.

I have met some wonderful people here that I have become great friends with and I plan to keep in touch with them for years to come. The only thing I would like to change would be to extend my trip longer!

I was in a location very conducive to walking anywhere within the city center and didn't have to rely on public transportation to get to work and back.

I definitely felt I was completely immersed in the culture here. I traveled within Ireland to rural areas on the weekends which was a great way to encounter further cultural immersion. Dublin, being a large, globalized city, introduced me to cultures other than Irish, as well. For example, my roommates and work colleagues were from all over the globe.

My program administrators, both from the US as well as in Ireland, were wonderfully involved and attentive through the entire process of planning and during my internship. I truly felt that they wanted to do everything they could to ensure that I had a positive and memorable experience abroad.

I always felt safe in my neighborhood. Although my apartment was not in the "nicest" area of town, I never feared for my safety.

I Got What I Wanted Out of the Experience

First of all, let me clarify state that I am an older (mid thirties) student in a professional degree program. I went into the program with a very specific set of objectives which are probably completely different from those that a young undergraduate would have. I'm happy to say that, using World Internships, I accomplished everything that wanted to. Furthermore, it was worth every dollar I paid (and I paid my own money, not my parents' or financial aid).

In business school, the internship is not only a graduation requirement, but sets the course of your personal research for the entire second year A good internship can open doors and have a huge effect on your career for the next 5-10 years. We are advised to start our internship search the first day of class and spend at least 10-15 hours a week on it for the entire first year. Talk about stress. Not to mention the opportunity cost of those hundreds of hours of labor (at least $10,000 at my usual wages).

But with World Internships you just write a check and they find the internship. And its a GOOD internship that you'll be proud to put on your CV, with real projects that you can play up in your second year job interviews. And these days international experience is almost a requirement to become an executive, so you might as well get it early in your career.

Too, after I wrote that check I had 10-15 hours more in the week for my studies, which was a valuable competitive advantage in a program where everything is curved and only 10% of us are allowed to get As. (Actually, I finished the first year at the top of my class).

So, while I can nit pick about the quality of the accommodations and such, the final program as a whole was absolutely worth it. I would happily write that check again.

The living situation was adequate. However, the house was awkwardly far from the internship site. The housemates were mostly language students who were there for shorter stays than us, radically different hours, and were generally less serious about their studies than we were--all of which caused friction. Conditions were generally rougher than I am used to encountering in a developed country.

It depends which culture you are talking about. My housemates were mostly continentals from various countries. We ended up speaking Spanish at home because it was the language most of us had in common. At the internship I worked with nationals from several different countries (which is typical in the transportation industry). I suppose you could say I was immersed in "European" culture (if such a thing exists) with slightly more exposure to the culture of Ireland than most of the others.

I was quite happy with the people at World Internships back in the states. However, I don't feel like they were able to exercise that much control over their subcontractors in Ireland. I didn't hear from the Irish side from month (which is fine, as I really didn't need much from them and tended to deal with my own problems on my own).

Overall, Dublin is safer than most major American cities I've lived in. There is certainly less violent street crime.

Mugging is almost non-existent, but you do need to look out for pick-pockets. I knew a few people who lost phones and wallets.

Probably the biggest safety threat to us (as walkers) was traffic. Many areas still don't have cross walks or sidewalks and the Irish drive fast. A high visibility vest is almost a must if you are walking out in the industrial parks (luckily, my internship company supplied one).