street view street view

Intern in Ecuador with World Internships

Ecuador Experience

World Internships set up the most amazing internship for me. They went out of their way to find me an acupuncture/chinese medicine office, that also practiced other forms of holistic medicine. The internship was so much more than I could ever have asked for, and it was perfectly located near my host family. I was impressed how they catered the program to fit to my expectations and requirements.

I provided my own host family, but thank you for allowing me to do so! Many organizations were against it, and this was a deal breaker for me when choosing an organization.

Everyone was extremely helpful and wonderful

As long as I followed the recommendations I felt very safe everywhere that i went.

A few months in Ecuador

I spent a few weeks in Quito, and then a month in Tena. They were extremely different places, but both amazing experiences. They both provided a good feel for how diverse Ecuador is. I would suggest that if you visit Ecuador, try to plan trips to all the different regions while you're there. Working abroad was a great experience, but just being emerged in a foreign culture is hands down the greatest experience. It will be difficult to leave your family, friends, and everything that you're comfortable with for a few months, but tough it up and do it! It will give you so many experiences that will help you grow in ways you could never imagine...and you'll have stories you can tell for the rest of your life!

While in Quito I was placed with an awesome host family. They introduced me to the Quito lifestyle, served me traditional Ecuadorian food, and treated me like one of the family. They helped me brush up on my Spanish, which was critical when traveling through Ecuador.

While in Quito I lived with a host family. They brought me to see all the local must see spots, and made sure that I was safe in the process. They only let me eat traditional food, and made sure I always tried to speak in Spanish! It was quite the cultural experience... if you go, remember that "C" on a water nozzle means "caliente (hot)" and NOT "cold!"

I was working in the field with Runa. As a guy, I was fine wandering off by myself and working in the field with little or no supervision. However, if a woman is ever traveling alone (and Runa has no other women interns there) then I would suggest that you not place the female intern there. I'm not trying to sound at all sexist, I would just hate to see something bad happen to someone. Plus, in Tena/Archidona there is a very clear difference on the way men and women are viewed. There were no problems for me, I would just be careful and cognizant about placing women there alone.

Quito is a cultural Mecca and just the ticket for students interested in studying in South America!

Quito was a fantastic place to study. It is so culturaly dense, I hope anyone interested in South American culture takes advantage of all Quito has to offer. It is an interesting city that attracts a dizzying number of people from many backgrounds, and is the perfect place to live to access the rest of Ecuador. I participated as a medical intern at Tierra Nueva in southern Quito and my experience with the staff there was phenomenal. Anything you want to see or help with is offered to you by the wonderful clinic administration (Although speaking Spanish is a must!). This experience is particularly recommended to Osteopathic Medical Students or PT/ DC students becuase of the clinic Rehab Center- you will be welcomed with warmly by the staff there and put to work on their many patients needing physical manipulation. Enjoy Quito!

I set up my housing on my own and for the most part it was great and worked well for accessing Quito and my internship. The landlady was fantastic! The downside was it was very noisy because of the neighborhood.

I really got an inside look into the medical system in Ecuador. I was allowed to participate as a team member and from what I could tell, I was given useful, honest information about how things are for doctors and patients in Quito.

Fortunatley, I had no problems come up while traveling or with my program that I could not handle myself. But, I have no doubt that the program would have been there for me had I needed them becuase they were very easy to reach, stayed in great contact with me, and always seemed open and willing to answer any questions I had.

I never felt in danger- I lived in an apt and the neighborhood got a little dicey at night, but I was easy to avoid the danger.

Animal and center caretaker

My job was to provide daily care to the animals in the center. The morning feedings and cleanings, and then the afternoon rounds as well.