street view street view

Intern in Australia with World Internships

Australia was great, mate!

My film/theater internship in Sydney, Australia was completely awesome! Though I was set up with an internship that catered more towards theater than film (which was my major), I really appreciated the variety in experience that I got. The company I worked with was super great and I learned a lot. I was also given a good amount of time to explore the city and engage myself in Australian culture. I even kept a video blog of my travels! It was surely a time I will never forget!

The Time of My Life Down Under

My internship experience in Australia exceeded my expectations. I was placed with a respectable business with a young staff. They were very interested in helping me learn as much as possible. A lot of the work I did was hands on in order to get me to think for myself when accomplishing tasks or finding solutions to problems. But when I look back on this trip I will think about all fun adventures I had. There is so much to do and see in Sydney. My living arrangements allowed me to go to the city whenever I pleased. I was placed in an excellent suburb right near the city. I also took advantage of the additional trips that are offered. I went to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, the National Park. And the beaches in Sydney are amazing! World Internship support is always close by and I felt comfortable not having to worry about anything which allowed me to enjoy myself as much as possible, The people I met in Sydney are very nice and welcoming to foreigners which was great. This made the transition much easier. Overall, this internship experience abroad was one of the best times of my life. Even if you don't want to go to Australia I would highly recommend doing an internship abroad with WI as they can place in a variety of amazing countries.

I couldn't have asked for better living arrangements. I was very close to work and the city in an excellent suburb.

I met so many interesting people during my trip. Sydney is a very multicultural city so I was able to interact with people from all over the world, not just Australia.

Very responsive to any questions I had. Also they were very supportive which increased my comfort level in a new place.

Sydney is a very safe city. Even being out late at night I felt safe.

Great experience!

I had a really great internship experience! Not only did I learn lots, I was exposed to a wide variety of photography and worked with a few different professional photographers. Everyone was kind and helpful and made sure my experience was a positive one.

I arranged my own living situation although was suggested helpful websites and offerred assistance from World Internships.

I had no difficulty feeling at home in Australia, with no culture shock whatsoever.

I was happy with everyone involved in the program.

Awesome experience, great support

WI really cares about your interests. They take the time to do some research so they pick the best option according to your objectives, skills and preferences. The advisers are always super helpful and friendly. They help you every step of the way. Choosing WI: best decision ever!

You really get to know the culture. Nevertheless, regarding Australia they have heaps of more activities for people going to Sydney than the ones going to Melbourne.

I wish I could have stayed longer!

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Australia. I was happy with my accommodations--it was extremely conveniently located for grocery shopping and casual walks around the city. It was a bit of a distance from my internship placement, but nothing unmanageable once I familiarized myself with public transportation in Sydney.

I loved the work I was doing and the people I got to work with. I learned a lot from the first-hand experience and my co-workers were always happy to answer my questions. I found the people very friendly in general, which meant that my weekends were never dull.

I am very grateful to the World Internships staff for helping me with all the questions I had, both before and during my time in Australia. Although time differences and work schedules meant that I wasn't always sure when I would get an email reply (or when I could check for one), they always did their best to make me feel at ease. I knew that help was always available, so I felt comfortable exploring my new surroundings and just made sure to ask well ahead of time about any logistics I was unsure about.

All in all, my experience in Australia was utterly amazing and not one that I am likely to ever forget. I would have gladly stayed longer than the four weeks I had time for this summer!

I found the accommodations clean, comfortable, and tasteful. I am especially thankful for the wifi that I could use at no extra cost; it was extremely useful for communication (both professional and personal) and information seeking (such as finding maps of the area). I was impressed that I was provided with a well-supplied mini kitchen and television right in my room. My only complaint would be that it was quite a distance from my internship placement--it was about a 20-minute walk to the train station, then a 20- to 30-minute train ride to the station nearest my workplace (where the train doesn't always stop, since it is not one of the larger stations--in this case, it would be an additional 10- to 15-minutes' walk to work).

I wish I could have attended some more of the events hosted by the program, but my work schedule and distance from my area of accommodation sometimes kept me from doing so. It is a shame, because I would have really liked to check out the venues I wouldn't have gone to otherwise and meet other interns!

I took care to ensure that I was appropriately cautious at work and at home, and that I was as prepared as possible on my excursions. As such, I never felt threatened or in any significant danger during my stay.

Adequate

While Workd Internships in America was great in helping me with my intern questions, concerns, needs. Professional Pathways in Australia lacked in their service to me. They were not nearly as helpful. In fact, they called my internship coordinator and told them my flight was a different day other than the actualy day it was booked. So my thought I might be lying about my flight as a means to get off of work early. As a result, trust in my supervisor-intern relationship was shaken and I do not appreciate Professional Pathways for making such an uninformed and hasty phone call. When I phoned back to straighten out the issue and to be sure my flight was exact, my representative was lackluster, unapologetic, and made no attempt to reconcile the downfall that she initiated. My internship rapport with them was fine/descent until that at mt last week of my internship. But it being my last week and such a big mistake due to poor and petty organization, I was surprised and dissappointed in how it was handled... With that said, Australia is great, my internship was a good experience, and I like to think that my boss and I will keep in touch (despite any negetative sideaffects Professional Pathways' phone call may be caused); and I can go to her in the future.

I had a wonderful experience in Melbourne, but other than finding me the internship, World Internships did little to ensure I had the best experience.

I had a pretty good experience with World Internships--I was in a time crunch and they were able to find me an internship relatively quickly and were always reassuring about being able to place me somewhere. The company I was with wasn't totally relevant to my interests, but I was able to meet a lot of other interns there who were able to show me around and give me lots of information about the company and the city.

I organized my own housing

There were no events or trips organized and very little information was given about the area. I had to rely on the kindness of the people I worked with at my internship to show me around.

The coordinator was pretty good at keeping in touch with emails and efficiently organizing the internship spot. But once I got to Australia I didn't hear from them much.

Stressful Process with a good Outcome

I didn't feel like some of the world internships staff was on my side although Meghan Goodine was extremely supportive and helpful. I knew she was the "middle man" and it was frustrating not to communicate directly with the people on the other side. However after a few hiccups I ended up with an amazing internship which changed my life and although I could have just found it through google I probably never would have. It's overwhelming to reach out to another country and try to find placement and that is where world internships comes in.

Psych Press is an amazing place to do an internship abroad in Australia for either business or psychology students. It is very hands on and lots of experiential knowledge was gained.