Work the World Header Image Work the World Header Image

Medical Internships in Ghana - Takoradi

Ghana was probably the best thing I have ever done

My preparation for my elective in Ghana started in a cold February. I was bored and it was a rainy Exeter day so I thought I would cheer myself up by organizing my elective. Now, first things first, I am a very lazy person. Being the lazy and slightly impulsive person I am, I simply made myself a cup of tea and within a few clicks chose Ghana and put my deposit down!

Meanwhile, my friends were all frantically emailing hospitals in faraway lands and getting infuriated and impatient with the lack of response and the number of hoops they had to jump through.

The Work the World house is lovely and the staff are amazing. It would not have been the same without them, especially at the Wednesday night BBQs where there is more dancing than you can shake a Fufu stick at (Google this). If you are keen for a little bit of lash and banter (does everyone call it that or is it an Exeter thing?!) then there is a bar just down the hill where you can get a round of drinks for about ÂŁ1.50. There are also a couple of beautifully air conditioned bars where you can play pool in the evening.

Placement is what you make of it - an open mind is essential. You will not change the system, and while you may not save any lives, but you can be very helpful. My advice would be to spend at least two weeks in each placement. For the first few days observe, get the feel of it and then jump in. Be assertive and offer to do things for the staff and they will eventually see you as a helpful member of the team and really value your input. There was a case that I got very involved with and managed to influence her care for the better by being persistent and going out of my way to carry out full neurological examinations before placement and then presenting my findings to the doctors. They were certain that she was in a deep coma. After a few days I was able to convince them that she could follow my fingers and was aware of what was going on. She made good progress and was discharged before I left Ghana.

Undertaking an elective in Ghana was probably the best thing I have ever done. I met so many awesome people (there is talk of a reunion), became more assertive and learnt about the power of persistence. If you are the kind of person who thrives off being receptive and open to new things, then this is perfect for you. Plus, you can laugh at your mates back home as they are being swabbed for MRSA and have piles of paperwork to do for their electives!