Wildtrax Explorations Header Image Wildtrax Explorations Header Image

African Wildlife & Community Conservation Research

Awesome internship

The internship in Botswana was great, and I learned a lot. I loved being able to live in the bush for two months and that everyday we were among the animals I have always been dreaming about. I liked monitoring animal populations and talking to cattle post owners and herders in order to help reduce the challenge of conservation.

Wildlife Act Botswana 2016 research internship

With dedication and love for what you do, comes the best work, and Wildlife Act’s passion for conservation was very obvious to me. I’m so appreciative for the opportunity I was given with this trip and to be a part of something bigger than me or my daily life. I have taken so much away from this journey and I look forward to the future and all the things I still have yet to learn, and most of all I can’t wait to come back and see more of what Africa has to offer and what I can give back!

Wildlife Act in Botswana

This truly was one of the most wonderful experiences in my entire life. It opened my eyes to a completely new world of conservation and wildlife that exists in Botswana. The first week of lectures provided me with insight to the conflicts arising in Botswana and it was amazing to be a part of a research project dedicated to finding possible solutions.

Very satisfied student

Not only this program offers an exceptional internship/research program, it beyond doubt helps its students to become more mature and sophisticated as a human being. For example, I have learned many kinds of life skills that are crucial for my future job field as a environmental engineer. Also, the program has solidified my passion to work in an environment-related field upon graduation.

The Perfect Conservation Study Abroad Experience!

If waking up to Go-Away bird calls and distant lion roars, then to be able to go on safari every day while conducting research projects, followed by nightly fires and with excursions to interact and work with the local population, then this is the program for you. Every day is a new adventure that you can only read about in books. If you dreamed of going to Africa, Botswana is the perfect country for it; the animal population there is not matched and the two locations are so different which makes the experience that much more exciting. This program is something I could have only dreamed of doing. In a short 8 weeks, I was able to learn so much about wildlife, research and management strategies, as well as make connections that will last a life time. It is a lot of work that is done each day, but you know it is going to something important and you do get lots of free time to hang with the other program members. The lodging is beautiful- don't worry you don't have to sleep on the dirt floor. Wildlife ACT coordinators are very invested in their work and you get to work right along side them with whatever they need to do that day. You will learn to conduct transects, learn about tracking, predator IDing, animal behavior, and so much more.

Botswana 2016

The overall experience I had was amazing. I learnt so much about the wildlife, community and country during my time in Botswana. I have come away thinking even more about conservation and the future. The people and other students I was with made the course even better and I have never laughed so much everyday. It was great to be having so much fun at the same time as learning a lot. The trip exceeded all of my expectations and seeing all of the wildlife from elephants to secretary birds was an unforgettable experience. Living in the bush definitely makes you feel 'at-one' with nature and the surroundings, although it was sometimes hard at first living out there, it is surprising how quickly I adjusted and became used to everything. Talking to local people is so interesting and spending the evening at ORI during the first week is one of my favourite memories. I enjoyed being out in the field but the trips like Chobe National Park and the cruise along the Chobe River were fantastic ways of relaxing away from the fieldwork for a while. All of the instructors were lots of fun and very supportive. I especially admire Hollie and everything that she has done for us on the course, including the way she dealt with everything after the elephant incident. The trip to Victoria Falls was just amazing and I know how lucky I am to have been able to see it. The course was filled with excitement, learning and wildlife. I miss everything about the country and the trip-I cannot wait to go back. The organisation of the course with regards to our projects could have been improved.

Review of Wildtrax Botswana (Kwhai - Chobe)

The time that I spent in Botswana is something that I can never experience again. This is a trip that undoubtedly will be useful to me in my future in terms of my career goals, but more importantly my experiences helped me to grow as an individual. This program is not rigid and has a very basic structure and because of that what you personally get out of the trip has to do with what you make of it. Participate in this experience and engage fully and you will find that you are a more well rounded, confident, and informed person when you leave. You will not want to leave at the end.

Delta thoughts

A huge culture shock for those coming from the western world. However once you get over the initial stages of bewilderment a real life altering and eye opening journey that will have you learning more about yourself as well as a new country and its customs and beliefs.

Great experience and well worth it!

This was a fantastic experience! You learn a lot about the ecology of the Okavango River Delta before going out and doing research projects which can easily be a huge plus for students who are not necessarily studying environmental sciences. The atmosphere at camp was really chill and enjoyable, but you have to be prepared for very rough living conditions at times. You are in the middle of the African bush, and very little ever happens the way either you or the instructors want it to which can be frustrating at times. Even that is a seriously good learning experience though. The research I did, while not always completely clear, in the end came together quite nicely, and it's being used for great purposes in wildlife conflict studies. Of course, just being in Botswana every day for 2 months is a once in a lifetime experience and something very few people can say they have done. Every day you see something new and fascinating. It has really sparked my love for conservation and inspired me to travel even more around Africa. Well worth the money and the long trip there!