White Shark Diving Company Header Image White Shark Diving Company Header Image

White Shark Diving Company Volunteer Research Programme

Provided me with the academic experience I required

Before completing my Bachelor's degree in biology, I needed to attain considerable experience in research and field experience. Before applying to marine biology in graduate schools, such experience is required. The 6 weeks I spent with WSDC not only provided me with the academic experience I required, but also solidified my academic career path by affirming the impact studying such a field can have. Working with local school children and teaching them how to identify shark egg cases (and therefore building a connection between them and their local ecosystems) was one of my favorite parts of being a volunteer. The director, Mary, is a skilled diver and marine biologist and helped me fine tune some of the research proposals I was composing at the time. The volunteers' days can sometimes be long (and cold if you come in the South African winter), and yes, you will smell like sardines for days on end, but it was completely worth all of it for the experience, memories and knowledge gained.

An absolute dream

I could not have thought of a more fulfilling volunteer experience to have been a part of. It was incredibly difficult to leave at the end of my two months, if I didn't have to graduate university I wouldn't have left! The research experience was so much fun and really hands-on, which was very important to me. The people running the program, as well as the crew on the dive boat are all amazingly kind and fun people to be around. I cannot wait to return!