Where There Be Dragons Header Image Where There Be Dragons Header Image

Rwanda: Development & Peace-building

Rwanda is a place of growth and development not only in the country, but in yourself while you're there.

My experience in Rwanda was breath taking. My favorite parts were related to food and being out in the community. The food there tasted wonderful. I was able to try new, like eating fried plantains with mayonnaise, it was a pretty tasty combination that I experimented with because Rwandans use mayonnaise as a sauce. Overall, my favorite thing was being out in the community and speaking Kinyarwanda with Rwandans!! I have learned so many words like “hello and how are you”, but what makes me smile the most is how incredibly friendly people are there! Rwandans always greet you with a smile every single time you talk to them, which is one of the things I look forward to being out in the community. Finally, the discussions of Development were something that spoke to me because I never thought about development in the ways I did in Rwanda. Rwanda is truly a remarkable place and deserves to be a study abroad program.

In the Dragons Rwanda Abroad Programs, gave many of us the opportunity to explore the ideas of Development and Service through daily discussion, which were enlighten and highly engaging.

Sometimes are living situations weren't the best but when your traveling around, you look forward to seeing new places and living somewhere different for a few days. You never get bored.

I think everything we did on this trip really immersed us in the culture. We traveled a lot so we were always interacting with locals on the bus, in streets, and in restaurants.

My instructors were very proactive in the way they taught us about Rwanda and how we could interact with the locals. I believe they did a great job of teaching us about such an amazing place. Also, letting us take the leadership role towards the end of the course.

Inspiring, Live Changing, Eye Opening

If you're looking for a study abroad program that offers students deep cultural immersion and a unique opportunity to evaluate the complexities of the modern international development industry, Dragons in the program for you! The African continent is frequently misrepresented by the western media but this Dragon’s program aims to fight such misperceptions. We examined issues of social justice, peace-building, post-conflict reconciliation, and grassroots organizations. Homestay experiences (both in rural and urban areas) are an important part of this program. I highly recommend this program to anyone studying development. It offers a unique perspective by addresses head-on the controversies surrounding development work.

Amazing Summer in Rwanda

I could not have been more impressed by my Dragons program. It struck the perfect balance of intense cultural immersion and a constant feeling of safety and fun even in a world so different from my own. My instructors were fantastic and taught me so much not only about Rwanda but about life and gratitude in general. I also became very close with a few members of my small group, one of whom has visited me in St. Louis and I have visited her in New York already. The trip opened my mind in ways I never expected it to and gave me a passion for service-learning. I am looking at returning to Rwanda to work with an NGO that I was introduced to on my program because I want to continue to foster the love of service adventure, and Africa that Dragons fostered in me.

Difficult But Worth It

I went on the first Rwanda program that Where There Be Dragons ran, and despite the few glitches we encountered on the way, it was an experienced that shaped how I view the world and is the reason I'm now studying International Development. The people are kind, the country is so raw and inspiring, and the history is incredibly rich and important to learn about. I think that Where There Be Dragons is a really well run program and if you are at all interested in conflict resolution or African Studies, this is the right program for you. It is not necessarily all fun when you're there. There were some pretty rough times, but you come back a changed person.