Where There Be Dragons Header Image Where There Be Dragons Header Image

North India 4: Roof of the World

A Leap of Faith

My most memorable experience would most definitely be meeting the Dalai Lama. It was an event, that while would hold incredible significance for anyone, meant so much because of the context of which this program placed me in. In my homestay in Dharamsala, my homestay mother, my Amaleh, would kiss the top of a post-card with His Holiness on it every morning. I spoke to a Tibetan refugee who told me about his journey from Tibet to India, which he underwent when he was only 19, and upon reaching Dharamsala and meeting His Holiness (which all Tibetan refugees are able to do), he fell to his knees and cried. Meeting the Dalai Lama was an incredible experience, not only for the meaning that it held for me, but also for the meaning that it had gained during my time in India.

I chose this program because I knew that it would challenge and change me. I learned and experienced things that I never even knew could exist.

The accommodations were to be expected, and definitely fit the description of a cultural immersion program.

A Leap of Faith

Where There Be Dragons really and truly changed my life. I gained a sense of independence, a strength of character, and a feeling that I could conquer any obstacles that came in my way. I met a truly exceptional group of people, people who I was able to get to know in such a deep and personal way due to our shared experiences. Going to India was by far the most interesting, scary, and amazing experience, and without this program, I would never have been able to experience it the way that I did. Our instructors definitely did an amazing job, for they not only provided help when we needed it, but also allowed us to truly grow in this strange environment. The times I remember most are the times when I or other members in the group had to step up, assume responsibility, and lead the group on. This program is not for those who are not willing to open their hearts and their eyes, and to this day I think of this trip as one of the more difficult things I have ever done. However, it was by far the most amazing thing. I learned to open my eyes in a way I did not dream was possible, I learned to accept things about myself that before I could barely acknowledge, and, above all else, I came back a better person, a better citizen of this world. I cannot do Dragons justice just with these 5 stars and this jumbled review, but to anyone reading this, i beg of you, take a leap of faith, just as I did. You will be changed forever.

Life-changing summer

Your instructors are adults with a tremendous amount of knowledge. They serve as resources and role models for the participants. Your program takes students to a world unknown to them and fosters an understanding of new cultures, religions and issues. The ability to experience this kind of learning and living enables them to develop an empathy and appreciation of both worlds.
-- Katherine M