Where There Be Dragons Header Image Where There Be Dragons Header Image

Indonesia Semester: Community, Culture & Conservation

• The Adventure

Transformation

Last fall, I was a student on the Where There Be Dragons Semester course in Indonesia. I hadn’t planned on taking time off between High School and College, but my ED school (Middlebury College) accepted me with a gap semester. The idea terrified me, challenged me, and ultimately has been an incredible gift. The course with Dragons changed my life.

One of the most incredible parts of Dragons courses are the instructors. Each program is made up of twelve students and a minimum of three instructors, at least one of whom is native to the country where the course is based. The instructors are chosen because of their experiences as travelers, teachers, and citizens of the world, and each came to the program with a wealth of experience in human rights, conservation, academics, and cultural building. All were wonderful, passionate people with a will to open our minds, widen our knowledge of this world, and to grow with us as we experienced the consciousness-expanding wonder of deep, informed travel.

Whether the experience is four weeks or three months, being immersed in a new culture can be immensely challenging. It is so important to have quality mentorship in times of intense growth. Dragons recognizes this, and the instructors are people who can hold space for this kind of transformative opportunity. I found that, beyond being more than qualified to inform us on human rights issues, the environment, cultural tendencies in the developing and western world, and many more intellectual pursuits, the instructors were there to support us mentally and emotionally. They guided us, challenging us when necessary, but always there for us. They took care of us, but they also helped us learn to take care of ourselves.

Another amazing thing about Dragons is the relationship they build with local communities. Everywhere we went Dragons sought to create a sustainable friendship that benefits students and locals equally. This certainly deepens the student experience as it opens up doors for friendships and mentorships. A homestay family that trusts Dragons as an organization will be more likely to get excited about sharing their world with a student. I will never forget the connections I made with parents, children, and friends as we traveled through Indonesia.

In each community we studied the culture (religion(s), history, customs, political dynamics, and role of the western world in all of this), environment (conservation issues facing communities, the impact of these on their everyday lives, changes being made going forward, and our roles in these issues), and community (what are the health care and educational systems, how far away is the nearest hospital, how and what language do the children learn to read). We studied all of this through community interaction: we’d sit in on community gatherings, organise talks with the village head, midwife, shaman, workers, and professors, and we’d ask them to tell us about their lives and their world. We also set aside time to process with the group, to learn how best to handle the intensity of our experiences.

The course had a great balance of time spent learning with the group and time spent exploring, hanging out, and integrating our experiences into a newfound awareness of self and the world. Each day we would come together for at least two hours to check in with everyone, take care of medical needs, and rediscover solidarity with our peers. When we needed it we would always make time to go snorkeling in the nearby coral reef, explore the regional volcano, sing songs around a bonfire, have a dance party, drink a coconut, and decompress.

I know that this trip changed my life. On my own, I never could have made it to such remote and beautiful places, experienced so much depth in new cultures, made such close friendships, and internalized my experience as lasting inspiration. I have been blown away by the integrity and values exhibited by all the staff at Dragons, and I am so incredibly grateful to have been their student.

Each student faced many challenges on this program: we went into the unknown and fought against our comfort zones. We pushed into growth and found that, as we were challenged, new worlds started to open up to us. New perspectives appeared, deeper empathy was felt, greater integrity was realised, and we were suddenly more mature, more moral, more in touch with our inner selves, and more sensitive to the lives of those around us in this vast, unpredictable, beautiful world. Having had this experience, I will never be able to live without thinking of myself in service to my community. I can’t go back: I will always work harder in my friendships, find ways to explore, adventure, and deepen, and remember that I am a citizen of the world.

I wish that more of my friends would do Dragons programs. I have complete faith they would find their minds and souls expanded by it, just as I have.

The Magic Archipelago, as Told by a Group of Dragons

It is very hard to sum up my semester in Indonesia in just one review--Indonesia is by far the most diverse country I have ever seen or heard of, and each experience I had there was diametrically different from the one before it.

With that said, each experience was equally magical and positive. Even on a geological and geographical note, the trip spans across vastly different, striking regions.

From the rippling rice paddies in Bali, the cragged ones in Tana Toraja, the thick jungles of Morowali and Masihulan, to the gorgeous coral reefs of Sampela and the Bandas, each fortnight brings awe-inspiring and deeply moving landscapes.

Beyond geography, cultural diversity lends itself to an entirely unique three months filled with ethical questions (a buffalo sacrifice serves as enough literal food for thought to last three months) and emotional renewal. I can hardly express in these few paragraphs the impact the communities in which we stayed had on me, and without Dragons, one would be hard-pressed to get anywhere close to them on a map.

What Dragons offers that is different from other programs is the not just the opportunity to not only immerse yourself in cultures about as far off the tourist track as possible, but also gives you the skill set to do so properly. For example, excellent language lessons in the beginning of the tip lend to real acquisition and geology lessons lead to deeper understanding of the volcano you summit or the reef we analyse.

I recommend this trip any more often, and I only wish that more people would be able to benefit from Dragons' and Indonesia's magic.

Language instruction in Bahasa Indonesia was excellent, but academics are generally not the focus of the program. With proper feedback, the instructors will add or subtract more academics from the program.

Living situations for this program could not have been more diverse. We started off the trip living in a plush guest house in central Bali, and only a week later we were sleeping in rice barns in Tana Toraja. Just two weeks after that we were sleeping on bamboo slats and listening to ocean waves lap under us in Sampela, in Wakatobi.

While luxury is by no means a standard, the living situations always make for a more interesting and meaningful experience.

I cannot stress enough how easy it was to connect with the villages in which we stayed--the people are almost universally welcoming, understand, and loving. They were the single most vital part of the patchwork of the trip--and Dragons ensures that this is so.