United States: Seattle
Length of Position
On-Campus-5 weeks ; Online-10 weeks ; Summer-1 week
Eight courses are required for the certificate. The courses can be taken in any order and do not have to be completed within a certain time period. The TESL certificate program can be taken online or on-campus:
- On-campus classes are offered at the Washington Academy of Languages at City University of Seattle in the fall, winter, and spring as five-week courses meeting two nights a week. Students attending full time during the school year can complete the program in six months.
- The online environment offers a unique and beneficial learning situation. Because of the ability to research before posting to discussions, conversations are more meaningful. Also, the 24-hour access to the online environment offers convenient access for students in the U.S. and abroad. Online classes last for 10 weeks and are offered all year. The online program may be completed in 9 to 12 months, depending on how many classes are taken at once.
- In summer, all eight courses can be taken in our intensive series. The intensive courses consist of weeklong classes offered on the City University of Seattle campus. Students can take a few courses in the summer, or all eight. The deadline for enrollment is the Friday at noon before each course.
Why Study at WAL?
- University credit through City University of Seattle
- Competitive prices
- Convenient Seattle location
- Small class sizes
- Professional, highly personalized service and attention
- Day and evening, group, customized & online classes available
The TESL program is a graduate certificate program that can be taken online or on-campus at City University of Seattle. The TESL certificate is recognized in the U.S. and abroad as a qualification for employment. The courses offered are intended for both current teachers and individuals looking to teach while traveling overseas. The certificate program also qualifies for the Washington Teaching Certificate ELL Endorsement (plus the completion of the WEST-E and practicum). WAL courses have earned an international reputation for creating excellent teachers. What you learn in these classes will help you to be a successful ELL/ESL instructor.
Courses offered are graduate-level only; each course is for 3 quarter credits for a total of 24 quarter credits. A teaching certificate is not required for these courses.
Non-native speakers of English, including U.S. residents and citizens must secure a TOEFL score of 580 (237 CBT)* or higher AND the Teacher Education Program Director’s approval by telephone or email (call or email to set up an appointment).
* Please have ETS (Educational Testing Services) send a copy of your TOEFL score directly to WAL (our institution code is 9946) or call WAL about alternate testing arrangements.
585 On-Campus/667 Online
TESL Certificate/Endorsement Courses:
Students may mix and match online and onsite courses which are designed to be taken in any order on site or online. Following is an example of how the costs break down:
Online: the tuition and book cost for all eight courses in the TESL Program is approximately USD 7,269.00 for all charges (books are estimated to be about USD 50.00 per course. There is also a one time new student fee of USD 45.00).
- USD 667.00/course for WAL Tuition
- USD 186.00/course for SPU Tuition
- USD 853.00/course x 8 = USD 6,824.00 for tuition
On-Campus/Summer Intensive: the tuition and book cost for all eight courses in the TESL Program is about USD 6,325.00 (books are estimated to be about USD 50.00 per course. There is also a one time new student fee of USD 45.00).
- USD 585.00/course for WAL Tuition
- USD 150.00/course for SPU Tuition
- USD 735.00/course x 8 = USD 5,880.00 for tuition
World Language Courses:
- USD 405.00/course (30 hr, five-week course)
- USD 188.00/4 credits (optional City University of Seattle credit)
Independently or in Groups of 8-12
Since 1979, we've made it our business to promote cultural understanding through language instruction and teacher education programs.