VWA Volunteer West Africa Header Image VWA Volunteer West Africa Header Image

Children's Health, Hygiene, Nutrition & Diet: West Africa

Nutrition placement in the heart of the community

I chose VWA because of its commitment to ethical, grass-roots, development work and its close links with the community. The volunteer programmes on offer are designed according to the communities needs rather than what we assume they need and are frequently monitored and evaluated to ensure they continue to reflect the priorities of the community.
My background in the UK is in nutrition so I chose Volunteer West Africa because they have a good history of providing this type of work in the local communities they work in and also in the Nursery and Daycare Centre they run for local vulnerable children. Training the nursery staff in basic nutrition was a really rewarding challenge for me, as they care for and feed the children every day and so are ideally placed to deal with nutritional issues as they arise. The staff responded well and I am proud that I played a part in improving their capacity to care for the children in future. I was able to be involved in many other aspects of the NGO including other healthcare projects and was treated like a full member of staff: participating in team meetings and helping review and shape the volunteer programmes which gave me the opportunity to gain insight into the workings of the NGO and international development work.
All the volunteers stay at the lovely guesthouse which is just minutes from the beach and is a safe, comfortable place to live and work in. The staff are brilliant, and there’s always someone on hand to help you out with things.
I really enjoyed my placement and would definitely recommend VWA to anyone.